• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The country, newly online, has become obsessed with sending cheery greetings from smartphones, causing head scratching in Silicon Valley

BN-XC372_0122GO_574V_20180121235602.jpg
BN-XC370_0121GO_P_20180121234649.jpg
BN-XC371_0122GO_574V_20180121235557.jpg

Google researchers in Silicon Valley were trying to figure out why so many smartphones were freezing up half a world away. One in three smartphone users in India run out of space on their phones daily.

The answer? Two words. "Good Morning!"

The glitch, Google discovered, was an overabundance of sun-dappled flowers, adorable toddlers, birds and sunsets sent along with a cheery message.

Millions of Indians are getting online for the first time—and they are filling up the internet. Many like nothing better than to begin the day by sending greetings from their phones. Starting before sunrise and reaching a crescendo before 8 a.m., internet newbies post millions of good-morning images to friends, family and strangers.

All that good cheer is driving a 10-fold increase in the number of Google searches for "Good Morning images" over the past five years. Pinterest, the San Francisco visual-search platform, added a new section to display images with quotes. It saw a ninefold increase over the past year in the number of people in India downloading such pictures.

Facebook Inc.'s WhatsApp messaging service—which has 200 million monthly active users in India, making the country its biggest market—added a status message last year so users could say good morning to all of their contacts at once.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/th...ing-millions-of-good-morning-texts-1516640068

Maz

Oct 29, 2017
Abu Dhabi
Not indian, but we do that here in the emirates. I dont know how but my parents seem to have an endless supply of good morning photos. They send several of them on a daily basis, I probably have over 1000 of them on my phone.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Desh Raj Sharma, 71 years old, recently started using a smartphone. At around 6 a.m. every day he searches for and sends good-morning images to more than 50 friends and family using WhatsApp.

BN-XC373_0122GO_M_20180121235640.jpg

This dude needs a hobby. That's too much free time.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
This is awesome. It's like grandparents discovering the internet for the first time, except it's the second most populous country on the planet.

Senteevs

Oct 28, 2017
Latvia
Yeah. I remember the first time I got online. I probably would have done something similar (for one day), except none of my friends/relatives had Internet at the time.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One in three smartphone users in India run out of space on their phones daily.
That's my mom the last couple of months...not Indian though.

I keep forgetting buying her an SD Card, but I know that she will have the same problem soon enough regardless.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Some people just had no concept of storage.

My wife bitched once that 'phones don't have that much storage these days'....not appreciating I always set her phones up, and her current setup was a 16GB internal unit with a 64GB SD card. She had frigging 15,000 photos and god knows how much music. I mean seriously.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
If "Good Morning" is causing technical issues, I fear for everyone working tech support if "Good Night" ends up getting included in people's routines.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
1/3 of smartphone users everyday? So by the third day all smart phone users would have taken some steps to gain more storage space (assuming they're all unique users everyday)? And this repeats every three days?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be honest... this sounds like untold amounts of human suffering. All those cloying texts and images being sent by older family members that you can't block because they'll ask you about it later....

Erik Twice

Nov 2, 2017
Some people just had no concept of storage.

My wife bitched once that 'phones don't have that much storage these days'....not appreciating I always set her phones up, and her current setup was a 16GB internal unit with a 64GB SD card. She had frigging 15,000 photos and god knows how much music. I mean seriously.
Yep. It seems to me that many peopl delete anything. The expectation is to keep adding but never have to remove old pictures or music.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
My family have a mass whatsapp group with 30 people. It is literally filled with good morning, good prayer, "funny story" pictures and a few minute long videos too for every single day. I left the group after a year because I couldn't take it anymore.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Google should create a program that autogenerates such "Good Morning" images from a small hash, essentially treating the number as the seed for a random generator that decides things like which font to use, which exact text to use, etc.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should see the Facebook and WhatsApp usage of most Italians above 40. Half of it is sharing shit like these:

Buongiornissimo-3.jpg

buongiornissimo%2Bkaff%25C3%25A8%2Bimmagini%2Bbrutte%2Bcinquantenni%2Bsu%2Bfacebook%2Bvita%2Bsu%2Bmarte%2B10.jpg

buonanotte-9.jpg

I know people who unironically send these things to me. God damn it.

Highstone

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jan 22, 2018
I would say this is a good use of the internet.

Good morning, dejay.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Not indian, but we do that here in the emirates. I dont know how but my parents seem to have an endless supply of good morning photos. They send several of them on a daily basis, I probably have over 1000 of them on my phone.

your mum and my mum seems to graduated from the same 'internet college'...

especially now that i am staying out by myself...the number of good morning, have a nice days pictures is feeling up my whatsapp (and hers).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered who is the responsible to create all those imagea.

My dad cant use word for his life, but somehow is able to make corny images and videos

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me that I used to sent many ePostcards per eMail when we got the internet for the first time two decades ago haha

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Lol, indians and their internet shenenigans.

Reminds of the "Windows helpdesk" scam. Was a big story in my country. Bunch of indians faking to be from windows and locking people's pc, only way they'd unlock it was if you'd pay them a couple of hundred bucks... Lots of old people got blackmailed.

Mr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
I've come to love these from my mom. She' been sending stuff like for over 12 years. And in 12 years each photo is unique

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I always wondered who is the responsible to create all those imagea.

My dad cant use word for his life, but somehow is able to make corny images and videos

it started with people that just discovered how to use graphic editors, so simple images grabbed from the net slightly modified with a "good morning", "good night" etc etc

they became more apt

and then they were hijacked by trolls who started creating more and more grotesque collages, trying to achieve the most spread image and seeing how far they can push it

it's... fascinating