• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
, internet newbies post millions of good-morning images to friends, family and strangers.
No one is commenting on this so I will. Strangers? Is this just the article writer not knowing how to finish their sentence or are millions of people purposefully sending Good Morning images to random strangers? Just like; 'Well I've sent out the 50 texts to my friends and family, hmm what to do... I guess I could just send Good Morning to random numbers and see what happens...'

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
It is a massive thing in Brazil too. I had no idea it was common in other countries. Sometimes you may receive a gem like this:

69b228688f5e6737d5c1d79107e3602f.jpg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's the fucking plague of chain mail email bullshit in it's next phase. It drives me absolutely nuts when my mother's husband keeps on sending me all that BS via WhatsApp.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
You should see the Facebook and WhatsApp usage of most Italians above 40. Half of it is sharing shit like these:

Buongiornissimo-3.jpg

buongiornissimo%2Bkaff%25C3%25A8%2Bimmagini%2Bbrutte%2Bcinquantenni%2Bsu%2Bfacebook%2Bvita%2Bsu%2Bmarte%2B10.jpg

buonanotte-9.jpg

I know people who unironically send these things to me. God damn it.

Same with my family in Spain.
This is not a indian thing, this a more than 40 year old family groups all around the world where whats app is popular.

Maz

Oct 29, 2017
Abu Dhabi
your mum and my mum seems to graduated from the same 'internet college'...

especially now that i am staying out by myself...the number of good morning, have a nice days pictures is feeling up my whatsapp (and hers).

I'm starting to think that my mom is subscribed to a good morning picture service. Theres probably a person out there you can follow for constant new ones, if not my mom needs a hobby or something.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have this moral conflict where I feel terrible for hating this images so much, since I feel that the people close to me who share them are doing it with their best of intentions, and I feel bad when I can't give them an honest answer from my heart thanking their greeting. But at the same time, I have so ingrained in my mind that people who share this images are also the same people that will send copy pasted wall texts talking about how homosexuals are destroying society or other far right things that are related to my country that I can't really have respect for them.

Is so much that the other day I saw a women in a cyber cafe making a tribute to his dead mother with an incredible cheesy image that I felt really bad for disliking it, but at this point I can't really help it

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Text, voice note, video, you name it. My aunt for example never write hi, how are you? She just sends a video without a context. Most of the time I just delete it. I set my WhatsApp to never download anything either wifi or data.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
So is anyone gonna make a site-wide Good Morning! thread where we can say good morning to everyone with inspirational images, or...?

Almost every "older" person I know who uses smartphones does this. They look up cheesy good morning images (somehow, somewhere) and just send them. I don't understand why its so appealing to them. I guess the novelty of sending images?

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this time and those terrabytes
Of data wasted while they could be doing activism on forums against racism, Trump and Hollywood salaries inadequacies...

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
No one is commenting on this so I will. Strangers? Is this just the article writer not knowing how to finish their sentence or are millions of people purposefully sending Good Morning images to random strangers? Just like; 'Well I've sent out the 50 texts to my friends and family, hmm what to do... I guess I could just send Good Morning to random numbers and see what happens...'
Hmm. Judging by some of the Facebook groups that my family members have tried to add me to... yes, people do spam these things to strangers. Probably not to random people on WhatsApp though.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Just how easy it is currently to slip a malware in png and jpeg these days? This daily habit seems ripe for exploitation by malware creators. From what i remember, Facebook rebuilds images from the ground-up before it gets shared so if there was malware before, it would theoretically be expunged. Hope the same is applied in WhatsApp.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think he spends his time better than most. He's not some raging 4chan internet troll like most of the American internet population.

Like I said, I last here the elders who post those share a lots of views with those 4chan users, only that they are not trolls, or maybe they are more subtle about it

Oct 25, 2017
Not from India, but WhatsApp has an insane grip on older people in Europe. All that 90s fun email image stuff, all the greetings and wishes, all the family and vacation photos, all the old sketches that are now on youtube or whatever. It's all on there. And they love to share it with 10 more people if they've gotten one of those.

There is a generation that's catching up on old shit through WhatsApp right now, probably because it is so easy to use.

I feel like that is something no social media expert or Silicon Valley guru even had on the radar.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why my mom and sister were adamant I join WhatsApp. I think I dodged a bullet lol.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
I wonder how society would be if we got rid of the human desire for validation. Social media obsession thrives on this desire for validation.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have literally never sent anyone a good morning message...or any kind of image based greeting like that, ever. This is utterly bizzare to me.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WeChat has a lot of this too. And Thai people like sending these dumb images on Line, though not this frequently.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is hilarious lmao

I am in almost 4 whats app group that is constantly sending this nonsense and jokes. But they are all family so i didnt wanted to leave but I have them all on mute and set autodownload to off

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel really bad for the tech support people that would be dealing with these people trying to explain to them concepts like storage space an hearing these people complain that they can't send out these ultra important morning messages

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017

"My job is to forward good content," said a 62-year-old grandfather of two based in Bangalore who didn't want to be named.

I like how this Indian grandfather talks like a 22-year-old digital marketing SEO manager.

Just how easy it is currently to slip a malware in png and jpeg these days? This daily habit seems ripe for exploitation by malware creators. From what i remember, Facebook rebuilds images from the ground-up before it gets shared so if there was malware before, it would theoretically be expunged. Hope the same is applied in WhatsApp.

WhatsApp pretty aggressively compresses images and videos before sending them, so I doubt a carefully crafted malware-infected image would survive. I'm always confusing people by asking them to send me the full-size version of a photo rather than the 1280x960 one I got over WhatsApp.