• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017

This week's episode has Jim go over which developers are most guilty of the seven deadly sins in their games and business practices.
Greed: Activison Blizzard
Sloth: Valve
Lust: D3 Publisher
Envy: Bethesda
Gluttony: Ubisoft
Wrath: Konami
Pride: EA

Last edited:

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling is the one dude who actively makes me want to spend money on microtransactions to spite him.

His heart might be in the right place, maybe, but the same thing Ad nauseas is kinda annoying.

That said I would like to see him tackle Gacha games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling is the one dude who actively makes me want to spend money on microtransactions to spite him.

His heart might be in the right place, maybe, but the same thing Ad nauseas is kinda annoying.

He does what his audience expects of him, it's his shtick, you either like it or you hate it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

You could always not click his videos and threads

Is he kicking your door down and making you listen to him or something?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a shame that a person as smart as Jim has fallen into the typical YouTuber trap of regurgitating his shtick over and over again to no end, because it drives engagement. Dude is talented as all hell, and could be doing so much more.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he's very much preaching to the choir. I get that he needs to upload videos every week, but we get it.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could always not click his videos and threads

Is he kicking your door down and making you listen to him or something?

Eh, I have friends who share his videos alongside some of the other this is why gaming is dying types and it can get annoying.

At some point it feels like Sterling is doing this to pad out content and get money moreso than any real consumer protection.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Oh what a win that would be for you. You spending money on stuff that you wouldn't have otherwise, that will show him!

(I know you won't, but that's how your response looks).

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh what a win that would be for you. You spending money on stuff that you wouldn't have otherwise, that will show him!

(I know you won't, but that's how your response looks).

Depends on the game really, If anthem has a paid skin I like enough I'll buy it and call it a day. Plus MK11 will probably have costumes I'll drop some coins on.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Eh, I have friends who share his videos alongside some of the other this is why gaming is dying types and it can get annoying.

At some point it feels like Sterling is doing this to pad out content and get money moreso than any real consumer protection.

Fair enough if you can't avoid it, or if you can't avoid your friends talking about it

It does make me wonder more generally though, what is the time limit people are allowed to discuss anti consumer issues within gaming before they should either stop, or be accused of repeating themselves/doing it just to make money themselves?

I always assumed people spoke out about things they consider to be an issue, because they see them as an issue, and unless those issues go away/improve, then there isn't really a reason to stop doing what their doing. Which is essentially raising awareness and trying to convent people to your cause so pressure can be put on those who dictate policy

Ultimately gaming is a hobby and not a real world changing issue, but I can't think of any other situation where we expect people to just shut up and accept the things they're complaining about after a certain arbitrary period of time, or they're assumed to be only acting in self interest

It's almost as if a lot of people just wish no one would criticise their favourite companies

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I never watch his videos anymore, which is a shame because he has a lot to offer when he's not moaning about the same stuff all the time.

Jim's a good bloke and his heart is in the right place, but the undercurrent of cycnicism in almost all of his work nowadays is just tiresome.

He's a talented writer with a winning personality, but something has gone wrong somewhere.

Last edited:

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because of Jim Sterlings videos?

Not really that's just in general, my main point is I feel Sterling has a lot of talent and a lot of his here is why MTX and DLC videos are bad are kinda bad. The ones he did regarding fighting games seemed to be straight up ignorant of the genre and how much it costs to actually develop a character in those types of games, but sure all fighting game character dlc should be free because Sterling says so.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If he bothers you so much why do you open his threads and shitpost?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad Jim is like a dog with a bone on this issue. You don't get the change you want by complaining a few times and then dropping the issue. You gotta be persistent and grind if you want to make any progress. Company just love the attitude some are having with Jim. They would just love it if Jim and others just drop the MTX issue and their other slimey business practices because people are "annoyed by it."

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a shame that a person as smart as Jim has fallen into the typical YouTuber trap of regurgitating his shtick over and over again to no end, because it drives engagement. Dude is talented as all hell, and could be doing so much more.

He comments on the video game industry and entertains for a living, please tell everyone what "doing so much more" means?

The industry is what the industry is. Why does this forum have such a large population of posters who do not want ongoing practices continuing to be commented on? Finances and monetization are huge debate points and will continue to be so. Especially when they impact on gameplay and user enjoyment. As are broken/buggy games, lies, manipulation and so on.

Not surprised Jim noped out of posting on here very quickly. Not because everyone has to agree with him, because damn near every JS topic has the same stupid thread whining. Always on page 1 as well playing into my thinking most of you don't even watch the video, you just see JS in the title and your keyboard macro is setup to post.

The video itself is a pretty fun take on the seven deadly sins and as the opening 1-minute states is based on a YouTube comment from a fan and Jim ran with it and created content to acknowledge it. So, people having some fun.

HaSgZWx.png

Last edited:

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he bothers you so much why do you open his threads and shitpost?

I didn't have having an opinion was shit posting. I like sterling but pointing out how predictable his content has become.

If this forum is going to have whole threads on why people don't like other outrage youtubers, it's no surprise people are going to have similar thoughts on Sterling.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What do you mean so much more? What exactly do you want him to talk about, Geo politics?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not surprised Jim noped out of posting on here very quickly. Not because everyone has to agree with him, because damn near every JS topic has the same stupid thread whining. Always on page 1 as well playing into my thinking most of you don't even watch the video, you just see JS in the title and your keyboard macro is setup to post.

Did he comment somewhere he didn't want to post here? He used to post on GAF quite a bit (pre showergate, anyway)

Yeah I find it odd that people who dislike his content are so eager to bump his threads so much and keep him and his content visible and in the spotlight

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Sloth, Valve? Fucking please

Just as Jim can tirelessly churn out the same crap over Steam's hands off curation practices, it has been retorted endlessly on this same forum.

Additionally, this year saw Valve release Artifact, Steam Proton, further acquisitions, and we also know 3 VR games are in development along with In The Valley of the Gods.
Hardly lazy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did he comment somewhere he didn't want to post here? He used to post on GAF quite a bit (pre showergate, anyway)

Yeah I find it odd that people who dislike his content are so eager to bump his threads so much and keep him and his content visible and in the spotlight

Nah, he posted a bit around Era beginning, even in a few of his topics then just disappeared. I think his actual account on here has been deleted? His topics began getting more and more hostile, with the first few pages usually not a critique of the video, but just straight up "Why does anyone watch this? Why does JS have a platform? Can JS do anything else?".

Presumably by gamers who often get offended if their favourite company, game or publisher is featured in the video.

Unless it wasn't an official Jim Sterling Era account, but I'm 100% sure it was.

Maybe something to do with this

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Another Sterling thread another bunch of whiners criticising the man not the video in the OP.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
What did Nintendo do?

Many things. Jim has often spoke of the existence of the "Nintendo move". A move (or lack thereof) so ridiculous, so insane, so inane, so lacking in knowledge of basic business practices that even the most layman of business analysts would say that it's a stupid move.

And with the Switch, most frustratingly, a lot of them have worked, including, most specifically, their absolute joke of an online service, as well as putting standardized QoL updates behind a paywindow. Not to mention their legion of defenders, many of whom are right here on ERA, who will defend EVERYTHING the company does.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many things. Jim has often spoke of the existence of the "Nintendo move". A move (or lack thereof) so ridiculous, so insane, so inane, so lacking in knowledge of basic business practices that even the most layman of business analysts would say that it's a stupid move.

And with the Switch, most frustratingly, a lot of them have worked, including, most specifically, their absolute joke of an online service, as well as putting standardized QoL updates behind a paywindow. Not to mention their legion of defenders, many of whom are right here on ERA, who will defend EVERYTHING the company does.

Their online service does suck, but unfortunately their not the only player who hides features behind the pay wall. As for the other things i think most people don't mind nintendo as long as the games stay good.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean so much more? What exactly do you want him to talk about, Geo politics?

IMO the last and really most earnest thing he published (that I can remember and stands out vs. videos like this which just regurgitate "remember when these things happened?" for the gazillionth time) was his appreciation for Ridiculous Fishing during one of his GOTY videos.

This video just takes a mildly-clever youtube comment and uses it to regurgitate what has been said by his videos countless times before, without offering anything new, hopeful, or appreciative. (Yes, I watched the whole video) At least there was only one time "triple-aaayyyyy" was uttered, mercifully.

Notice I haven't whined or said anything about Jim personally in this post. His content used to be much more informative, insightful and entertaining, frankly.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Another Sterling thread another bunch of whiners criticising the man not the video in the OP.

Worst part is the posters that go "Why doesn't he do other kinds of videos" in regards to criticizing the gaming industry, not realizing he has an entire channel of videos that don't pertain to that (ex: game reviews, game news, etc...), they just don't get topics on Era.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
So much of his content just feels regurgitated, he's always going over stuff he's talked about many times before.

Having said that some higher-ups at EA could do with watching that last bit.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Their online service does suck, but unfortunately their not the only player who hides features behind the pay wall. As for the other things i think most people don't mind nintendo as long as the games stay good.

I think Nintendo lumping features like a difficulty mode or "auto battle" in an RPG as dlc is just as greedy as Activision charging for a targeting reticule.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Say what you will, his list is totally accurate.

I'm all for dogging these publishers until they change. When we stop talking about something, it goes away. For that reason alone, Jim should never stop talking about this stuff.