• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Worst part is the posters that go "Why doesn't he do other kinds of videos" in regards to criticizing the gaming industry, not realizing he has an entire channel of videos that don't pertain to that (ex: game reviews, game news, etc...), they just don't get topics on Era.

This is the main issue. Unfortunately if it isn't talking about how much a game sucks, a game dev sucks, a game pub sucks, how the gaming industry sucks, or, how actual gamers suck...people aren't interested in posting about here, because it doesn't get them the attention that posting something positive would. I mean, we have people who shame others for being hyped about a game and changing your avatar to something in that game.

People don't post the positive Jim Sterling threads because people here are largely not interested in posting about anything positive when it comes to gaming. It's has nothing to do with Jim Sterling.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the main issue. Unfortunately if it isn't talking about how much a game sucks, a game dev sucks, a game pub sucks, how the gaming industry sucks, or, how actual gamers suck...people aren't interested in posting about here, because it doesn't get them the attention that posting something positive would. I mean, we have people who shame others for being hyped about a game and changing your avatar to something in that game.

People don't post the positive Jim Sterling threads because people here are largely not interested in posting about anything positive when it comes to gaming. It's has nothing to do with Jim Sterling.

The Jimquisition has been what he's known for since Destructoid. Out of all the content he does it's the one where you might get a little bit of dress-up/acting. Not as much as say Angry Joe, but some. Not all Angry Joe videos get posted on here either, just his main reviews (Maybe the odd impressions video if it goes viral). It's primarily what Jim is known for, he's been doing it the longest, and if anything many others on YouTube are emulating him (the knee-jerk to outrage YT is always seen in a JS topic). Yahtzee was probably one of the first well-known critics of the industry to try and mix humour with reviews/comments on buggy or broken games. It can be entertaining if not just plain fun even if there is some exaggeration or acting.

MTs, monetization and loot boxes are newer affairs, that really started to ramp up during the PS3/360 era. Heck, PS3 gamers were still used to free online play just last generation. Rustling corporate jimmies shouldn't be something that gets the end user offended, quite often there is a grain of truth or reasoning in trying to get the attention of the multi-million if not billionaire corporations running this industry. People really need to detach their undying loyalty towards companies and brands and accept no matter how much fun you have, it's fine for you to think every now and then your favourites aren't perfect.

I think it's taken for granted that people on the internet have the skills and ability to click a YouTube channel and see all of its content. Maybe I'm just expecting too much of people though, seeing as an inability to read or watch an OP has to be one of the most common issues on the internet.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure he could have easily found actual Triple A examples of Lust instead of resorting to a tiny publisher's games (not that their games aren't problematic of course).

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The list is accurate. Also when it comes to Valve, he isn't taking about them releasing games. He's talking about Steam and the lack of quality control. However, ya'll probably aren't even watching the video before commenting.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank God for Jim Sterling.

As soon as the big AAA Developers stop selling their shitty mt he will stop with his videos. In a better world almost every bigger website, youtuber, etc. would rant weekly against big publishers until they stop.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
The JimQuisition has been what he's known for since Destructoid. Out of all the content he does it's the one where you might get a little bit of dress-up/acting. Not as much as say Angry Joe, but some. Not all Angry Joe videos get posted on here either, just his main reviews (Maybe the odd impressions video if it goes viral). It's primarily what Jim is known for, he's been doing it the longest, and if anything many others on YouTube are emulating him (the knee-jerk to outrage YT is always seen in a JS topic). Yahtzee was probably one of the first well-known critics of the industry to try and mix humour with reviews/comments on buggy or broken games.

MTs, monetization and loot boxes are newer affairs, that really started to ramp up during the PS3/360 era. Heck, PS3 gamers were still used to free online play just last generation.

I think it's taken for granted that people on the internet have the skills and ability to click a YouTube channel and see all of its content. Maybe I'm just expecting too much of people though, seeing as an inability to read or watch an OP has to be one of the most common issues on the internet.

None of that doesn't have to do with what is being posted here though. If people only post negative Jim Sterling videos, someone isn't going to go to his Youtube page to look for positive videos. If people only know McDonalds for hamburgers, that aren't going to search the menu looking for salads.

It's the same with Angry Joe...I think his review of RDR is the only positive thing ever posted here of his.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
As regurgitated as his anti-monetization/ Triple AAAAHH position may be, his delivery keeps me hooked. I think he's hilarious, personally.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of that doesn't have to do with what is being posted here though. If people only post negative Jim Sterling videos, someone isn't going to go to his Youtube page to look for positive videos. If people only know McDonalds for hamburgers, that aren't going to search the menu looking for salads.

It's the same with Angry Joe...I think his review of RDR is the only positive thing ever posted here of his.

But some will actually see many of the JS videos as positive videos? Dunking on broken games, outrageous monetization and Bethesda as of late is trying to hopefully carve a more positive future for the industry by not allowing it to become the wild wild west or mass-subservience to everything the industry attempts.

Occasionally a better game comes out of end-user feedback/criticism.

Or in the case of the Xbox One, insane DRM is prevented and the PS4, arrogant Sony gets pressured into cross-play. Those are positives. Created in part by "industry outrage". The end-user ends up benefiting from people with reasonably sized platforms spreading awareness and getting attention onto something that is at least worth debating, if not changing.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed by the replies in this thread. The man is advocating for increased consumer protection by calling out the companies guilty of scrupulous tactics, but people are criticising him for continuing to point it out instead of the companies for continuing the practices.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People really need to detach their undying loyalty towards companies and brands and accept no matter how much fun you have, it's fine for you to think every now and then your favourites aren't perfect.

Quoted for truth

A lot of people really seem to struggle with this on Era, and it always derails conversations as people start arguing in bad faith

It's not specific to Era, or even gaming, same thing happens on other forums or with non gaming companies (Apple etc)

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
But some will actually see many of the JS videos as positive videos? Dunking on broken games, outrageous monetization and Bethesda as of late is trying to hopefully carve a more positive future for the industry by not allowing it to become the wild wild west or mass-subservience to everything the industry attempts.

Occasionally a better game comes out of end-user feedback/criticism.

Or in the case of the Xbox One, insane DRM is prevented and the PS4, arrogant Sony gets pressured into cross-play. Those are positives. Created in part by "industry outrage".

None of that is remotely what I am talking about...just forget I posted anything.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty disappointed by the replies in this thread. The man is advocating for increased consumer protection by calling out the companies guilty of scrupulous tactics, but people are criticising him for continuing to point it out instead of the companies for continuing the practices.

If I worked in one of the companies Jim highlighted in his videos, and read the replies in this thread and other JS threads on ERA, I'd be ecstatic.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quoted for truth

A lot of people really seem to struggle with this on Era, and it always derails conversations as people start arguing in bad faith

It's not specific to Era, or even gaming, same thing happens on other forums or with non gaming companies (Apple etc)

Now that most of us have lived through the PS3 and 360 generations and now the PS4 and XB1 generation, it should be pretty obvious none of these platform holders, let alone developers and publishers are out of bounds for criticism. Times change, companies change. Even Blizzard isn't the same company who could do no wrong PC gamers put up on a pedestal (maybe deservedly) years gone by.

They all fuck up, they all act arrogant and they all continually play a game of cat and mouse normalizing what they can and only sometimes pulling back.

Companies aren't your friends, its a business transaction between you and them around money/products.

It's okay to have favourites, but leave blind loyalty to youngsters in high school who still argue about whose band is better.

None of that is remotely what I am talking about...just forget I posted anything.

I know what you're saying, I just wanted to point out even if a video is framed negatively because it's being critical, some can still find that effectively a positive experience because it is hopefully pushing for positive change. Or at least change some people will think is positive.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good video by Sterling who I like but don't watch as much as I used to because as others have said, he does repeat the same stuff over and over. He's not wrong though but at the same time, im a gamer who looks at loot boxes, micro-transactions, etc. as purchases and if you're against any of it, just put your money where your mouth is as that's the only way it's ever going to get minimized or eliminated completely. As long as gamers are purchasing all that stuff, none of it is going anywhere so best thing to do is what I do - ignore it all.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
so at first he regurgitates what's posted on Era or reddit and now, he regurgitates his older, regurgitated arguments? can't wait til this guy goes back to obscurity. can't believe people give $13k a month to watch a guy put forum posts into video form.

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif
Jesus, man. It's too soon for this. Too soon.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017

Amen to that. Jim is fighting for more consumer protections and calling out companies for bullshit practices but some people can't get over that because his videos are feeling "samey", and really that's just because those are the videos linked on Era.

He's got a wide library of stuff that gets out, and his Jimpressions videos are usually pretty informative and can be both positive and negative, but they rarely get posted over the Jimquisition ones that talk about industry bullshit.

He needs to continuously hammer on these points because if he goes quiet on them because people are getting bored of the topics, then the big industry has won.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sloth, Valve? Fucking please

Just as Jim can tirelessly churn out the same crap over Steam's hands off curation practices, it has been retorted endlessly on this same forum.

Additionally, this year saw Valve release Artifact, Steam Proton, further acquisitions, and we also know 3 VR games are in development along with In The Valley of the Gods.
Hardly lazy.

Don't take it so seriously.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know why Jim doesn't do videos on Online Passes anymore? Because they're gone! The online pass was crap and most recently almost prevented me from getting the Twisted Metal Platinum trophy.

You don't just complain about the issue once and then hopefully something will change. You have to keep calling it out and I applaud Jim for at least staying consistent on the issue, though it sometimes seems he might be making the same thing over and over again.

Personally, I'd like him to make more videos about social issues in the industry, but we all know how well that'll go lol (Gamers )

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Then your post added nothing and wasn't even accurate, all while bumping the thread and presumably giving Jim more views

So well done
^ Speaking of posts adding nothing... If you think my earlier comment sandwiched between other posts around the same time resulted in more views for his videos, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know why Jim doesn't do videos on Online Passes anymore? Because they're gone! The online pass was crap and most recently almost prevented me from getting the Twisted Metal Platinum trophy.

You don't just complain about the issue once and then hopefully something will change. You have to keep calling it out and I applaud Jim for at least staying consistent on the issue, though it sometimes seems he might be making the same thing over and over again.

Personally, I'd like him to make more videos about social issues in the industry, but we all know how well that'll go lol (Gamers )

A large part of the online pass went with the move to paid online being forced on everyone (Sony joining MS). Plus, season passes really took off as well as F2P mobile MTs in paid games.

The feeding frenzy is now still paid boosters, loot boxes, $99 crystals packs, season passes and advertisement deals are coming and going. The online pass to attack the 2nd hand market just isn't worth it now, as even if someone buys 2nd hand GAAS is where you try to get them.

Plus some of the devs and pubs probably were rubbing their hands at MS' original Xbox One vision to completely nuke 2nd hand/dictate it.

Because us console owners don't have multiple resellers like PC owners do for cd keys, we're pretty much holding onto physical as the only way we can get deals on games. Digital only stores on a console with no competition is the wet dream of the CEOs.

Thankfully, for now, enough of the market is resisting that as being the only choice. Technology fans, the only fans on the planet who will write you an essay on why less choice is better than more choice. Thanks for removing the headphone jack in my mobile phone, this somehow gives me even more choice! I'm soo grateful!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Love Jim for what he is doing. Those who want to spite him by spending more on Mtx are kind of missing the point. I spend on mtx but dislike a lot of games that exploit it so just because you spend on one doesn't make it all equally the same. Some games are objectively worse

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a silly "Meme" of sorts, but I will agree on the choices. Especially glad that Sterling didn't throw Capcom into the mix (although I will agree that Ubisoft can be Gluttons). Capcom has made their errors, but they feel minimal in comparison to the other seven.

Will be fun to see how things play out in 2019 and see if trends will continue to roll like this or not for the companies listed.

Awntawn

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I thought it was going to be review of a game based on the anime, "Seven Deadly Sins"

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

You have inadvertently hit the nail on the head. All of the things gamers like to whine about are related to the cost of AAA game development soaring, while prices for gamers have stayed flat since 2006. First it was bankruptcies, then online passes which affected zero new game buyers, then season passes and paid dlc, now it's MTX, lootboxes, SP boosters, $20 skins, etc. My point is, complaining about such things without understanding why they exist, and no it's not as simplistic as yelling "greed!", means you risk the unintended consequences of whatever replaces them. Because additional monetization won't simply disappear completely and game budgets aren't going back to what they were 2 generations ago, nor do you want them to. Stuff needs to get paid for though somehow, such is the way of life. Those 100GB games, 4K, free post launch support, it doesn't cost what a 2005 PS2 game cost to make.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
^ Speaking of posts adding nothing... If you think my earlier comment sandwiched between other posts around the same time resulted in more views for his videos, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Look, we get it, Sterling upsets you, and yes, the more posts a thread has, the more people are likely to see it

I'm not saying you're entirely responsible for him being popular, I'm saying it's weird and childish to be so eager to "slam" someone that you won't even watch the video a thread is about because you're so giddy at the thought of shitposting

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Look, we get it, Sterling upsets you, and yes, the more posts a thread has, the more people are likely to see it

I'm not saying you're entirely responsible for him being popular, I'm saying it's weird and childish to be so eager to "slam" someone that you won't even watch the video a thread is about because you're so giddy at the thought of shitposting
Why are you being childish and shitposting? Reminder, this is the entirety of my post which has led to you getting so upset that you have begun harassing me:

"How many of that list does Jim himself hit?"

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why are you being childish and shitposting? Reminder, this is the entirety of my post which has led to you getting so upset that you have begun harassing me:

"How many of that list does Jim himself hit?"

You entered a thread about a video, not intending to watch the video, then made a snide comment that looks stupid to anyone who actually watched the video, as your comment is addressed in the video itself

I pointed that out and you consider that harassment?

This is why you've been banned for arguing in bad faith in these kinds of topics before, and why it's impossible to take any of your comments seriously. If people calling out shitty practices in the industry upsets you, then come up with better arguments, or at least engage with the content of the threads you post in

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You entered a thread about a video, not intending to watch the video, then made a snide comment that looks stupid to anyone who actually watched the video, as your comment is addressed in the video itself

I pointed that out and you consider that harassment?

This is why you've been banned for arguing in bad faith in these kinds of topics before, and why it's impossible to take any of your comments seriously. If people calling out shitty practices in the industry upsets you, then come up with better arguments, or at least engage with the content of the threads you post in
If you weren't so busy complaining about me you'd have seen post #84 nearly an hour ago. Whether or not you do ever get back on topic, I am done with you.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you weren't so busy complaining about me you'd have seen post #84 nearly an hour ago. Whether or not you do ever get back on topic, I am done with you.

I saw it, it's a nonsensical reply to someone explaining that the bad press online passes received contributed toward them no longer being a thing, in the same way the BF2 backlash contributed to EA shouting 'no lootboxes!' as a selling point to applause at the very next E3

Your point is that monitisation isn't there just because of greed, which is a valid point, but it's reductionist to then assume any level of bullshit is then justified, which is your entire argument in these kind of debates

In many ways monitisation is both nessesary and benefitical, and in some ways it's not, and it's worth a) having a debate about that and b) pointing out when it's shitty

It's also nothing to do with the video, which isn't even a serious video (not that you've watched it) it's a dumb video poking fun at publishers based on someone elses dumb YouTube comment

None of this changes the fact you literally only showed up to make a snide comment because you don't like the man who says mean things about companies you like

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling is the one dude who actively makes me want to spend money on microtransactions to spite him.

His heart might be in the right place, maybe, but the same thing Ad nauseas is kinda annoying.

That said I would like to see him tackle Gacha games.

Someone you're not forced to watch makes you want to spend money on microtransactions to spite him? I dont understand the point of complaining about "ad nauseas" in a youtubers channel when this ain't a clockwork orange.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
To those tired of Jim's "shtick," why do you think he should tone down his criticisms and complaints? The gaming industry is plagued with ridiculous bullshit and it's nice to have a high profile person call it out on a regular basis.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jim Sterling is the one dude who actively makes me want to spend money on microtransactions to spite him.

His heart might be in the right place, maybe, but the same thing Ad nauseas is kinda annoying.

That said I would like to see him tackle Gacha games.
He'll complain about it until the day publishers stop their bullshit practices. Which will never happen so...

Deleted member 5545

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those tired of Jim's "shtick," why do you think he should tone down his criticisms and complaints? The gaming industry is plagued with ridiculous bullshit and it's nice to have a high profile person call it out on a regular basis.
Because he's poorly informed and basically preaching to an uninformed choir themselves.

Like, his whole opinion of Valve is ridiculously out of touch and totally that of some stubborn ERA mule who just plugs their ears when you tell them about everything Valve's been up to, because if it ain't HL3 or waving a magic wand at the steam store to "fix" it then they just don't wanna hear it.

And that's minor compared to his total ignorance of what AAA development costs nowadays

I don't care that Jim has his opinions, I care that they're pretty shallow and narrowminded ones, at least far moreso than anyone close to him seems to wanna point out

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This entire forum is a bleak neoliberal hellscape. The people here will never stop being corporate bootlickers.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Jim and everything, but this one is just a snooze fest of a retread of what he harps on

I think the difference here is nothing prompted this one outside of a YouTube comment he thought was clever

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly surprised Warner Bros. isn't on the list. They basically spearheaded the Regular, Silver and Gold versions of games you see now.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
We need people like Jim to spotlight the crap policies game publishers get away with

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Reminder to avoid meta-commentary on Sterling and to focus on the content of the video for this discussion, thank you.