• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
STILL A W.I.P!
3.0 Patch Notes HERE!

dwRgIrZ.gif
  • Original Release Date: 23-8-2016 (PS4) - Later (Steam) - Patch 3.0! (April 12th, 2018!)
  • Platforms: PS4, PC, and a portbeg near you!
  • Price: Constantly on sale on PSN -- DLC Character Pack 1 was 19.99 on release. Character Pack 2 is... Most likely the same?
9buHntx.png

Introduction

The latest entry in the mainline King of Fighters series is here, boasting a whoopin' 50 character cast, 17 of which are brand new.
If you're familiar with how KoF XIII or KoF 02 (UM) played, you'll find similar elements here. If you're a first timer to the series, or decided to get back in with this game, you'll find it'll take a while to get the hang of the controls but with a little practice you'll get the hang of it.
There is a tutorial mode to teach players the basics of the KoF series' systems such as the jump types etc.
The game features modes common to fighting games: Arcade mode, Survival mode, Online mode & good ol' training mode.

Story

- A new KoF organizer, Antonov, claiming to be the first KoF champion, despite being absent from anyone's memories of past KoF events, HAS personally invited a group of competitors that include a former rejected NESTS test subject, and a shady figure who insisted on being invited. Antonov agrees to all as he is quite willing to drag just anyone from the street to complete a team.
- A young man with seemingly demonic powers, Shun'ei, trying to learn to control his abilities, and doing so under the tutelage of SNK grandmaster from the Fatal Fury series, Tung Fu Rue; as Kyo, K' and Ash were series protagonists during 3-game Kof story arcs, it may be worth keeping an eye on Shun'ei, who is getting the same kind of focus now
- A group of women from very different time periods and worlds are chasing some threat all the way from their respective worlds.

12MnLKd.gif

The mechanics
Hellpockets KoF XIV Primer!
Controls:

htp1_1.png
Gameplay System:

htp1_3.gif

ekmuk8u.gif

There WERE 16 teams and 2 bosses available for play from the start. Now we have 2 sets of DLC, 4 characters each, totaling a ridiculous 58 Characters.

Movelists are also included for each character.
c3BKowi.png

Team Japan - Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, Goro Daimon

Official Invitation Team - Sylvie Paula Paula, Kukri, Mian

Team BrazilSouth America - Nelson, Zarina, Bandeiras

Team Yagami - Iori Yagami, Mature, Vice

pw8kuLo.png

Team KoreaKim
Kim Kap Hwan, Gang-il, Lu-ong

VIVA Team Mexico
Ramon, Angel, KING OF DINOSAURS

Another World Team
Nakoruru, Muimui, Love Heart

Outlaw Team
Xanadu, Chang Koehan, Choi Bounge

7NwSMhh.png

Heroic China Team
Shun'ei, Tung Fu Rue, Meitenkun

Team K'
K', Kula, Maxima

Ikari Warriors Team
Ralf Jones, Clark Steel, Leona's The Best

Team Geese
Geese, Billy, Hein

czEiG4C.png

The Super Bogard Bros.Fatal Fury Team
Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, _______

Ladies Team
King, Mai Shiranui, Alice
Psycho Soldier Team
Athena Asamiya, Kensou, Chin Gensai

Art of Fighting Team
Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Yuri Sakazaki

Bosses
4e2ygzT.png

SUB: ANTONOV
FINAL: VERSE

lRPf1tM.gif

Media

KoF Official Web Site (SNK) -- KOF Official Web Site (Atlus) -- Orochi Nagi! -- The Madman's Cafe -- Dreamcancel.com
Have More? Let SAB CA and TIZOC Know!

Dandy J's Complete Guide to KoF! (Eternally Relevant, even if partially outdated!)

Advanced Tech:
Shortcuts and buffering techniques Quick Reference
Dreamcancel KOFXIV Wiki

Juicebox vids:
Throws, Alternate Guard, and Quickrise
Jumps, Running, and Backdashes
Rolls, Blowbacks, and Guard Cancels
The Button Hold Trick
Shortcuts and Input Tricks
Projectiles
Spacing
Throw OS/Empty Jump Low
Effective Mixups

U5zYdkG.gif

Reviews: LOOKS LIKE A PS2.-1 ghame, LOLOLOLOLO -_-

ZLoydXQ.gif

PSN matchmaking

This probably needs NEW entries! So... anyone on ERA wanna organize a list? Or Donate a Discord Link or something? If so, let me know!

AIBZh5S.gif

BONUS STUFF!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT GOES HERE ANYMORE! LoL. Got any fanart of the new characters you'd like to show off? People just post TWITTER and such links now, so... I guess there's no use for this now? :(

HbYNddL.gif

(SURELY, THEY EXISTED!) Brought to you by (Once, a long time ago...) by
TizocKING OF DINOSAURS who got off his lazy ass to write the OT originally - and SAB CA who made the banners and finished up the OT, and is posting the whole thing now!
Loona for providing the story bits, always!
Fersis who spent this whole time looking online daily for a re-issue of the ultra rare Gai Tendo dakimakura, and nearly bought a Hanma Baki one instead... which is understandable, Baki is coming back, I hear?
Bad Wolf for the avatars - which aren't here now, but could be!

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Patch is up. Time to hit this thing!

OP
OP
SAB-CA

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Patch notes will probably appear later tonight. Much like the fact that the characters will probably appear when the PSN store updates.

So, for now, off to twitter and forums to see what people are discovering! So far... more confirms for Hein, and less Crossups on Jump B's across the board?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love this OT so much, thanks for making it on Era.

Can't wait to dig into the patch.

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
Patch Notes in Ps4 "Update History" menu:

Version 3.00
-Playable DLC Characters have been added.
-New stages have been added.
-BMG added.
-Character balance adjusted.
-Functionality improvements along with bug fixes have been implemented.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Shun looks scary now, damn. Najd's effects in general are really cool, won't be able to play at all so interested to see what people come up with.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Do we know if Patch 3.0 comes with any new features or improvements similar to Patch 2.0 with the Graphical improvements?

I know there's the character additions and obviously some Balance changes, but anything of note that is known yet?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently from what the tourney groups are saying folks got more crossups in the patch. Also a few particulars mentioned were that Ramon got more safe jump setups now that rolling sobat is a hard knockdown. Also Benimaru apparently got a damage nerf and you can't do some of his corner combos anymore.

Living document of tech found is here

EDIT: Okay Antonov definitely had some work done.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. Love Heart got a DP finally, can cancel it into f+A and she also had her hurtbox lowered making her immune to highs and maybe mids. This helps a ton.
qcf HP gonna be my go to up close knowing that if I read high. Especially since after a good DP you can still cancel into her super. It'll be a great reward off a good read making her have something truly fierce up close and a means to deal with jumpin beans.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God I'm loving the new shit. Check it out. Alice can tackle into rekkas and Antonov got crossup leapfrog pressure!

EDIT
Also Ralf and Angel got invincibility! Now they got some true reversal options given that they both have dash up desperation moves that go straight through your shit.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Meiten's run speed feels slower.
Patch notes so far say it feels like his pillow moves slower and some of his stuff is slower but his damage was upped. Not sure. Folks are pumping in info and some of it is just arguments. Antonov and Alice apparently are getting folks excited with new links, crossups and potential. Kukri has some new links but folks are still stand offish. Not sure whether he can hold up or not.
Seems a lot of folks traded stuff on damage and combo length and quite a bit of DP, crossup and invincibility stuff was handed out freely amongst the cast. That alone will change the landscape pretty heavily because it means we got real punishes and reversals now in matches that lacked them.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Praise the sun:

Just saw this on twitter. They brought Esaka and Arashi no Saxophone 1 back!

This is the kind of stuff that shows that the devs really care.

Oh my God I'm loving the new shit. Check it out. Alice can tackle into rekkas and Antonov got crossup leapfrog pressure!

EDIT
Also Ralf and Angel got invincibility! Now they got some true reversal options given that they both have dash up desperation moves that go straight through your shit.

Ralf's new invincibility is solid, it's both on the DM and SDM. It's only on start up though and a bit after, don't expect to punish fireballs from full screen.

Angel's feels meh, it's only on the SDM and the window isn't all that big. The counter super is still the better option imo.

And man, Antonov ended up as such a unique playing character.

Meiten's run speed feels slower.

Sylvie's mobility has been really improved it seems.

EDIT:

More new music:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Man I need to sit down and play this. Had this game for literally a year and only rocked it for a solid 13 minutes.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017

I was tired of seeing him in tournaments, time to see more Shun and a lot of characters.

This is the kind of stuff that shows that the devs really care.
And the new theme is pretty good too.

Patch notes so far say it feels like his pillow moves slower and some of his stuff is slower but his damage was upped. Not sure. Folks are pumping in info and some of it is just arguments. Antonov and Alice apparently are getting folks excited with new links, crossups and potential. Kukri has some new links but folks are still stand offish. Not sure whether he can hold up or not.
Seems a lot of folks traded stuff on damage and combo length and quite a bit of DP, crossup and invincibility stuff was handed out freely amongst the cast. That alone will change the landscape pretty heavily because it means we got real punishes and reversals now in matches that lacked them.
Still reading it but I liked Hein, seems like he'll be really good now. Time to see what they did to make Whip playable.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I need to lab Angel and find out just what it hints at that I can now follow up with off of Mad Murder. Sounds like she got new combos and not just invincible DM stuff. Also Antonov be canceling shit into Bering Wave like mad. Hit box changes galore right now. Zarina got a ton of hitbox buffs and some invincibility buffs too so I need to try her as well.
Not sure if Kukri got too much better or not. He definitely got better pokes now with his crouching lights at least. If that and his recovery on stuff play together he may be more defended on whif or block than before after a special.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
$14 for Steelcase copy is good right? Got it yesterday at Walmart and thought the price was a steal.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I've always loved King of Fighters I'm excited to play this online since I just got a new PS4 can't wait for Najd she looks so cool.

Oct 26, 2017
God damn, I'm jealous of you folks right now. I won't get to play this for six or so hours, maybe more if Steam doesn't have the patch and DLC yet.

I need to test these changes, and I NEED MY 97 SPECIAL TEAM!

EDIT: holy shit Antonov.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo wtf, they destroyed Nelson's punch DM. This is a huge nerf.

New music:

And the new theme is pretty good too.

Yeah I dig it as well, interesting to see them set up a rivalry between Shun and Kukri.

I need to lab Angel and find out just what it hints at that I can now follow up with off of Mad Murder.

Previously the regular Mad Murder had restrictions on how she could juggle which weren't present on the EX version (for example they really didn't want you comboing the regular Mad Murder into her ranbu DMs iirc). The regular version doesn't have those restrictions now and she can combo more freely both mid-screen and in the corner (so into DM/SDM and chains into DM/SDM). The move is also a hard knockdown now it seems.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yo wtf, they destroyed Nelson's punch DM. This is a huge nerf.

New music:

Yeah I dig it as well, interesting to see them set up a rivalry between Shun and Kukri.

Previously the regular Mad Murder had restrictions on how she could juggle which weren't present on the EX version (for example they really didn't want you comboing the regular Mad Murder into her ranbu DMs iirc). The regular version doesn't have those restrictions now and she can combo more freely both mid-screen and in the corner (so into DM/SDM and chains into DM/SDM). The move is also a hard knockdown now it seems.

The tunes are great