• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing this a bit more lately, and I'm looking forward to playing Blue Mary.

Andy, Blue Mary and Geese have always been my favourite team/characters. What other games were all three of those playable in a team? I know they were in 98UM, but did any other KoF have all of them?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I can see getting some mileage out of this blockstring with Shun Ei.

EDIT: Oh lord yes I can punish Iori Far D. Dat kick be mortal now.

Last edited:

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC characters are up on PSN/Steam and it's the same price as the first 4 characters ($20). They also have them separately and the ones from the first DLC too ($6/char).

I don't remember using Oswald on XI so I'm really liking testing him.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC characters are up on PSN/Steam and it's the same price as the first 4 characters ($20). They also have them separately and the ones from the first DLC too ($6/char).

I don't remember using Oswald on XI so I'm really liking testing him.
Oswald is, was and always will be amazing. Card toss equated to crazy knockdown game, huge hitboxes gave him great space control, dude could reflect projectiles, and overall just pressure for days. Him and Shion were my favorite things out of KOF 11.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
MĂ©xico
Esaka? is one of my favorite themes in gaming ever
Hearing it has a new remix is easily the best news to come out today for me!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Oswald and Heidern are so good. The rekka pressure and setups with Oswald are so good and Heidern just outpokes everything and controls space so well. Plus all that damage. So in love.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
It seems they aren't up in Europe (PS4) yet, at least the new characters don't show up in the store for me.
So probably either at midnight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Najd is is really fun to play. I love her command grab and the move that you have to hold a button.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oswald and Heidern are so good. The rekka pressure and setups with Oswald are so good and Heidern just outpokes everything and controls space so well. Plus all that damage. So in love.

Heidern is so freaking badass in this game, feels like he got the XIII Takuma treatment:

As for Oswald, the guy is just pure style.

Seems Najd has a special intro against Verse (and maybe other evil chars?)

Nice, classic Kim style.

Najd is is really fun to play. I love her command grab and the move that you have to hold a button.

Whoa, cool combo man.

Some people were comparing her to Rose from SF before release but she seems like very much her own character so far.

Last edited:

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Man, I adore this game but I'm atrociously ass at KOF and I have no one to play this game with. Don't really care about any of the new characters added, but I still haven't even around to trying out Rock in this game. Hoping to start playing this a little more in-between SFV and DBFZ. Wanna play more TEKKEN 7 too lol.

OP
OP
SAB-CA

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
First blush Impressions with the newly added characters:

Oswald: Yeah, there's all that weird complexity I remember from him. He just seems solid all around, full of tools that, most importantly, mesh really well together. He and Najd are definitely characters that want to force you into clean execution, of you'll be blowing supers early and making bad damage all over the place.

Heidern: I think he really does say "Go... to... HEAVEN!". Of course, there's still enough mention of Jigoku, that he's totally still telling you to go to hell, too, ha. Anyway, so much tool, still great normals, EX Storm Bringer works as an on-hit-grapple... His new Assault Saber doesn't seem too fantastic on it's own, as it's highly punishable (Unlike Leona's Grand Saber). STINGER fingergun seems like glorious combo fodder, however. KoF Neowave critical wire flashbacks. I don't mind this, lol.

SDM Heidern END is so cool. Keeping the enemy impaled on his hand, as they continue to take explosive damage, only to end it in the most ANIMEEEEE badass way possible is better than I expected.

Oh, he mentions his eye socket burning when he beats Verse. For those of you who wish for Rugal's return, that's a pretty strong hint!

Oh, and it's really cute that Heidern uses Leona's close D in his autocombo, d'awww.

In story mode, he Salutes not just Leona, but also Ralf and Clark.

Najd: I don't feel like I've scratched the surface at all. Her Rekka's remind me of Lin, which I quite enjoy. Her Command throw EX is a fantastic move for setting up juggles or knockdowns or SDMs, or... anything, And her normals all feel pretty strong, especially in close. It's quite odd that her normal jump C is an Iori-style cross-up, and her forward hitting C is a command normal, that leaves them in juggle state. Her Crouching C also floats on normal hits. The fact she has a "Hold K" move is... wow, odd. It has levels, the first hold takes longer than I'd expect, and the higher levels take like 20 seconds or something. Higher level allows juggle though, and hurts rather well.

Blue Mary Dynamite Swingin': Welcome back, Mary! Why does "Vertical Arrow" always sound odd for her? LoL. The new Seiyuu does a pretty good job, though I feel like she skews much closer to the KoF XI performance I didn't like as much. Anywho, Minor Gripe: Even through Real Counter -> Suplex is a 2 part move, you used to be able to combo into it with deft timing in some older games. Can't do that here, even with the EX! Doh! Minor Awesome: Mary actually puts her hair behind her ear in her stand and crouch Idle stances. What a nice little detail that's so uncommon in ANYTHING 3D.

Anywho, onto the important stuff... I always liked regular 98 Mary, and the EX Real Bout derived one just seemed... odd, personally. Thankfully, they don't care about my opinion here, as her fusion of EX and KoF Mary shines really nicely. The girl thrives on strong hits to land her crazy array of fantastic command normals. Her new (?) DP and Punch move (a leaping command throw) is a nice bit of mixup, though I wonder how good it'll prove to be. I swear Far D was cancellable into command normals / stuff 2k2UM, but isn't here. It's great That she can get the full damage off of her M.Splash Rose into Climax... especially since she doesn't seem to flat out have a MAX cancel off full damage of her SDMs.

General 3.0 Feelings:

Ok, I wanted to lament the worsening of Leona's Hop C, since her father is now here... but it really feels like almost all characters Hop cross-ups have gotten much worse, unless they have moves designed specifically for such a purpose. However, Jump D crossups feel stronger than ever, with people like Terry getting them back, and the fact they're much easier to land, compared to the specific boxes on the hop variants.

Universal roll distances, strengthening of weaker characters pokes, weakening of stronger characters pokes, Adjustments to backdashes and movement speeds, and the large amount of acute invincibility / fireball destruction on DMs, SDMs, and a much larger range of DPs, all seems like great changes towards making a larger porting of the cast more viable. Antonov seems like the clear winner of the patch so far, as his new stuff is all so fun looking, practical, and completely jarring to see on a guy who looks like a straight grappler type.

Whip feels... better? But I'm out of practice with her. Of course, in a game where crossups seemed to have become worse, the fact that hers seems just as good as before, and her other strong jump normals are better, might effect her well.

Tung Fu Rue got some very nice changes. Making his st.LP cancellable just helps him flow, and confirm, much better. Being able to Super Cancel his Mash P. Special is also quite nice. His Hop A was always a nice little crossup, and now it seems better, as his confirms out of it are a bit more easy and varied, and it's more of a unique things than it was before.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cleaning house on sticks soon. Was gonna go mixbox on kof 14 because I learned kof on keyboard originally. Then someone brought up 360 motion and I play gief. Anybody got a link to deals on hitboxes for ps4 or ps3? Looks like ill b3 goin to that instead lol.

Can't wait to play short hops on a hit box and abuse the cleaner input perks off a hit box on half circle inputs. Najd is one I really wanna test my inputs with. I'm super sloppy on her stuff on pad and a qanba drone aint the stick to expect clean stuff from. Can't wait to test the difference.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still no Najd moveset as far as I can tell.

Does this game let you try characters before you buy them in any way?

Oct 26, 2017
Still no Najd moveset as far as I can tell.

Does this game let you try characters before you buy them in any way?

I got you, fam.

5NIwM8h.jpg
lzenSvd.jpg
eWDadYU.jpg
sJeZO6O.jpg
5ixIEcb.jpg

NOTE: The half circle back+punch is a command throw, the half circle+kick moves are counters, and she has a Raiden-esque dropkick move where you hold a kick button and then release it.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got you, fam.

NOTE: The half circle back+punch is a command throw, the half circle+kick moves are counters, and she has a Raiden-esque dropkick move where you hold a kick button and then release it.
Thanks for that, but I meant a video showcase of her moves. People are only uploading YT videos of combos and her supers so far.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna get this and lab over the weekend. Any first impressions? Any characters that are either really strong or really weak?

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
SNK gave us new music? GOAT.

I know how you feel. I didn't even finish the arcade mode ): Why must I be so bad at KOF.

This is beautiful.

and also new stages that's FREE...

in other news, Capcom had the audacity to charge us (or force us to grind for it).

The esports ppl need their money apparently.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Buying this on PC was a mistake, even though I didn't have PS4 at the time. Online is deader than MvCi.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Madkof playing Oswald, Heidern and Mary:

https://www.twitch.tv/madkof_kof

He just ate a full stun combo from a Vanessa player lol.

Good stuff man, yeah there are a lot of interesting changes going on across the board like the speed adjustments on various movement options such as runs, jumps, back dashes, rolls etc. They also seem to be toning down low invincible normals. And then there is the adjustment of giving a lot of characters safe jumps after normal throws. They also seem to be encouraging more raw DM/SDM/CDM usage overall.

Also, I'm happy to report that our girl Zarina has ended up mostly buffed. The only nerf worth mentioning is the recovery on her godly fwd+B (which I honestly thought they would destroy) but it just seems to be -2 now instead of 0 on block.

Hein seems to be buffed a lot. He has improved normals, specials and combos (with better damage). Also, I hope those people who complained that SNK made him to replace Oswald can finally realize that they are both completely different, especially in terms of gameplay.

Oh and Xanadu has a legit invincible meterless DP now.

Gonna get this and lab over the weekend. Any first impressions? Any characters that are either really strong or really weak?

So far people think that Shun'ei has a lot of potential. Beni seems to have been hit the most by the nerf stick (which he deserved) though he's still solid (minus the stupid). Mysteriously Kula has received all buffs and zero nerfs (though it remains to be seen how she will get affected by the buffs a lot of the cast has received).

So far the direction of the balance patch seems good. Most of the changes are buffs and the nerfs are mostly connected to the silly/spammable stuff. Effort seems to have been concentrated more around buffing the mid and lower tiers.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone found the combinations for special dialogue with the new DLC characters? I've only found that Oswald has interactions with Blue Mary (Shen Woo is mentioned on it), Xanadu and Heidern. Mary does not have any interactions with Najd nor Terry and Heidern has a special intro with the rest of the Ikari Warriors.

I am really curious to see Najd's interactions.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Terry can cross up really easy now. They made a lot of mid tier characters viable with this patch.

Has anyone found the combinations for special dialogue with the new DLC characters? I've only found that Oswald has interactions with Blue Mary (Shen Woo is mentioned on it), Xanadu and Heidern. Mary does not have any interactions with Najd nor Terry and Heidern has a special intro with the rest of the Ikari Warriors.

Still testing the characters in training. After this I'll go for Story More to see if I can find more and Versus to see their win quotes.

OP
OP
SAB-CA

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
First off, I'm glad you guys liked the OT! ERA's message board stuff fusses with my PC a lot, so it's actually rejected my attempts to mod it a few times (I had more of the moveset links in, And all Juicebox's tech videos but that edit was lost to time...), but it's been great to bring back the old OT for new interest.

I played some solid hours of Online on PS4 last night. Player Match lobbies are definitely NOT dead. I have to say this game still has my favorite overall Lobby system.
  • No constant disconnects like DBZ Fighters.
  • Getting into the lobby presents a great UI that allows players to move in an out of rotations easily.
  • Looking up players connections and info on a person-by-person basis is super fast.
  • Selecting things like "Tourney" and "Series" play right without having to reconnect or anything is fantastic.
The only thing I hate is that there's no host migration. So the entire room can break if the host decides to leave.
Though even if the host leaves, you get to finish your match, rather than the game stopping abruptly.
But that's a somewhat minor issue, considering all the other strengths.

And unlike my days of MVC3 or the worse of DBFighters, I didn't feel like I had to learn a whole new game online, compared to my local VS play. I felt some patchy spots where the game felt a bit stutter-y, but overall, the connections were smooth, and I had a bunch of back-and-forth sets that really let me get used to Najd in solid play. Dash in command throw with her brings back Shermie and oldschool Vice feelings. Lights into Rekka are pretty easy to land, do good damage, and get that knockdown. Her crossup is very solid on far jump set-ups (haven't gotten used to it on hops), Hop D is a solid quick overhead, and her first Rekka on block isn't as unsafe as I first thought it was. I love her "Virtue of Deceit" Projectile DM, it makes screen-covering jumps and staggered air dives much harder to land on her, and it's great to tag on damage after Rekkas, too.

Heidern and Mary were more of a known quantity, but they're still full of scummy, awesome tricks!

Heidern Slash is dopey. "STAY THERE WHILE I HAVE MY WAY WITH YOU!" It's such an abusive thing on wake-up, and it's awesome to use as a shield while you spam Cross Cutters. I will always love STORM BRINGAAA. You can still take damage in a round, and use it to net yourself a "PERFECT!" too. Assault Saber is better than I gave it credit for, IF you can make your opponent fear pressing buttons. It'll never work on people who jab all the time, but he's a great character for instilling fear in players. And his CDM Gae Bolg, still has the stupid properties of Neck-Rolling, and I love that.

Mary's M.Breaker is basically the return of Clark's old Shining Wizard, and I'm actually in love. Weak Version very quickly punishes ducking opponents, Strong I believe is to catch those who backdash / are standing at a distance, and the EX version is just FAST to start, and is nice as a sudden mixup once you've popped MAX. Canceling Mary's Straight Slicer Slide into M. Splash Rose DM is a great punish to near-full screen aerial projectiles, and even on block, it's a solid way to close distance, as the hit from the DM on block is less punishable than I'd expect, and much less punishable than naked Slicer.

Good stuff man, yeah there are a lot of interesting changes going on across the board like the speed adjustments on various movement options such as runs, jumps, back dashes, rolls etc. They also seem to be toning down low invincible normals. And then there is the adjustment of giving a lot of characters safe jumps after normal throws. They also seem to be encouraging more raw DM/SDM/CDM usage overall.

Also, I'm happy to report that our girl Zarina has ended up mostly buffed. The only nerf worth mentioning is the recovery on her godly fwd+B (which I honestly thought they would destroy) but it just seems to be -2 now instead of 0 on block.

Hein seems to be buffed a lot. He has improved normals, specials and combos (with better damage). Also, I hope those people who complained that SNK made him to replace Oswald can finally realize that they are both completely different, especially in terms of gameplay.

Oh and Xanadu has a legit invincible meterless DP now.

Thanks. I kinda lament the weakening of low invincible normals a bit, but it seems like they still exist, or the property is still in a characters toolset on another move, so it's well done overall. I'm definitely happy that so many characters who aren't as strong as an Iori, now have DP invuln on par with his. As many times as we've seen " OOooooah *2 Hits of DP*~ ASOBI WA...*EXDM Rampage* " clinch tourney matches, it's definitely something quite strong to have in your toolset. SHORYU~METSU for everyone!

I'm so glad Zarina's still pretty solid. Capcpom and, to a lesser extent ASW always make me fear that the abusable tools I enjoy are going to be straight ripped out of a game. SNK generally knows how to keep them, but just reign them in. The kind of changes that Antonov, Sylvie, Hein, and Bandeiras have received since release really feels like the game has gotten something more akin to a UM / Super / Turbo edition, rather than just simple patches.

Good job on Mary SNK, great to have her back.

It really is, I've had great fun introducing people to the power of Real Counter once again, lol. Real Counter isn't as super-dodgey as it used to be (I suppose the EX version probably is?), but it's so satisfying to punish jump-ins, wakeups, and even far-moving long normals with it.

Also, XIII Terry's Crackshoot is back

That's awesome to see make a return. I also love how Mary's Anti-air Spin Fall slam enemies into a nasty hard knockdown.

Terry can cross up really easy now. They made a lot of mid tier characters viable with this patch.

I love patches that make one feel as if they're actually trying to get ALL the characters to a playable viability state. And considering the cast size of this game, that's a crazy tall order.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seriously people play this game, it's so fucking good.

Blue Mary is everything I want in a fighting game character. Her tool kit is just really cool.

Oct 29, 2017
Is it true Najd has no interactions with anyone on the cast? No special intros? No one gets specific winquotes against her?

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just go to lobby to find matches. That's where the community Is. Everything else is dead

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just go to lobby to find matches. That's where the community Is. Everything else is dead
This. Well this plus discord. It aint hard to find folks to play.

And yes folks NEED to get on this game. It's so damned good. The movement and the amount of options you have across the cast in any scenario is so great. Thats the plus of designing solid universal options into all the cast. Plus the roster is HUGE. one of the best in kof history for fan favorites and new shit.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh time to give this one another shot. I love KOF but man I hate how max mode centric the game has been since XIII. Never got the hang of it. Where are the majority of players at nowadays. PS4 or PC? also is there a discord?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Finding out that online is hard to come by in KOF XIV was a bummer but yeah, I suppose I'll get into that discord thing if the lobbies are empty.
Managed to beat someone with my main Robert last night, but i'm not anywhere your levels, so I won't show off just yet. :')

Who plays in PS4?

Also, any of you high skilled players who pick Robert have noticed something different in this update? I find him really fun to use because of how good it feels to chain his attacks and he turned into my main character quite quickly because of that. Here's hoping it's not changed for the worse. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
SAB-CA

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

https://twitter.com/ArticSABCA/status/984924143899594752

https://twitter.com/ArticSABCA/status/984928173333925889

Here's 16 Post match Victory quotes for Najd! She may have more, but that's the ones I noticed so far. Her shocked voice while referring to Mai was just slightly out of character for her, which was cute. She doesn't identify Andy as a Ninja, but she identifies Billy Kane as a low-level thug, lol.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A sick Vanessa corner to corner combo:

I'm so glad Zarina's still pretty solid. Capcpom and, to a lesser extent ASW always make me fear that the abusable tools I enjoy are going to be straight ripped out of a game. SNK generally knows how to keep them, but just reign them in. The kind of changes that Antonov, Sylvie, Hein, and Bandeiras have received since release really feels like the game has gotten something more akin to a UM / Super / Turbo edition, rather than just simple patches.

Yeah those characters have had time to develop this time unlike the old days where you had to wait for a few installments for some to develop. All of the characters you mentioned became way more fun with improved play styles and combos.

On a side note it's kind of impressive how well they nailed Luong's gameplay since day one, she is one of the least changed characters since launch.

Seriously people play this game, it's so fucking good.

Blue Mary is everything I want in a fighting game character. Her tool kit is just really cool.

She's really fun here, they did a great job translating her gameplay. Plenty of great tools and hit confirms and her combos flow well.

I also like the neat touch of her put her hair behind her ear during her idle animation.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna leave these here. We gots some new Kukri and Mian vids to enjoy :)

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want to be less garbage at this game. I feel like I can get rocked easily by players that know more. I have a general understanding of basic mechanics and play tons of other fighters. So I understand how to read frame data and whatnot.

Any tutorials aimed at street fighter players getting into KoF? Character and team building tutorials would be great.

Any prolific YouTube or twitch players?