• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juicebox is great, he streams often on twitch and answers questions all the time about learning the game.

Here's a recent vid where he talks about footsies/neutral in a JP match:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/248742956

The main thing to realize when going to KOF from SF is that it is very universal tool focused. When you are learning KOF, you are learning KOF as a whole and not just a specific character(s). As a result once you learn how to play it in general it becomes very easy to learn new characters in no time.

EDIT:

Last edited:

stn

Oct 28, 2017
So far, I think Heidern is my favorite from the DLC list. Najd looks awesome but I don't understand how she's meant to be played (I'm fairly new to KOF in general). Do we have a Discord for this game to setup matches? Please invite me if yes.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
So far, I think Heidern is my favorite from the DLC list. Najd looks awesome but I don't understand how she's meant to be played (I'm fairly new to KOF in general). Do we have a Discord for this game to setup matches? Please invite me if yes.

It's not snk dedicated but there is a scrubera discord which has a SNK section that's a bit dead but I'm hoping to revive it with 3.0 coming out. Just trying to figure out what's the main platform

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan masters had a KOF 14 tourrney early today. Here's the vids
They had a power outage at one point early on. Rough day. Nice stuff though. Good ol King of Dinosaurs is always fun to watch.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250292891

EDIT: Not sure if its 3.0 from all the far d iori respect I'm seeing in this lol
DOUBLE EDIT: No its 3.0 because I just saw the Alice Tackle combo that was added. Guess old habits vs Iori die hard lol.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Najd is looking pretty cool.

Like Raiden she can free cancel her specials into her drop kicks, including her counters and rekkas. So you will want to be charging at least one at all times to get better damage and to have access to really good meterless damage.

I don't think her drop kicks are overall as dangerous as Raiden's but will be a great tool nonetheless. Raiden's are better by default anyway since he had access to the drive cancel system.

Her jumping HP is Angel style (cross up only). So you have a guaranteed cross up tool (which can act as a mix up tool if used from the front since it will never hit from there).

Last edited:

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Najd, what is her kick charging move? I held down kick and nothing came out. Am I missing something?

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Najd, what is her kick charging move? I held down kick and nothing came out. Am I missing something?

You hold the button, and then release it. At five seconds of holding and then release, you will execute the move. Every five seconds after the initial five will increase the move's damage and will launch the enemy higher. The fully charged kick causes a wallbounce and does monster damage.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
You hold the button, and then release it. At five seconds of holding and then release, you will execute the move. Every five seconds after the initial five will increase the move's damage and will launch the enemy higher. The fully charged kick causes a wallbounce and does monster damage.
Lol...start the round holding it and save it. Nastiest of surprises late in the match. Just imagine the announcers.
"WHOA! Wait what the...WAS HE HOLDING THAT THE WHOLE MATCH!? Yoooooooooo!"

Loona

Oct 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/ArticSABCA/status/984924143899594752

https://twitter.com/ArticSABCA/status/984928173333925889

Here's 16 Post match Victory quotes for Najd! She may have more, but that's the ones I noticed so far. Her shocked voice while referring to Mai was just slightly out of character for her, which was cute. She doesn't identify Andy as a Ninja, but she identifies Billy Kane as a low-level thug, lol.

It's about time someone calls out Kim on his issues - over the years I get the impression he just uses the "justice!" schtick to get to beat up disliked people with impunity, and doesn't really seem to go beyond that.

It's interesting that now while playing in story mode some CPU-controlled teams are a mix of DLC and older characters.
Funny that one of those was Alice, Mary and Xanadu, considering how in some places like the SNK topics on 4chan's /vg/ there's a running joke of referring to Alice as Mary and vice-versa, which Xanadu tends to be the guy who seems to be aware of the grander scheme of things...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Oswald is so freaking cool, 13 years since his debut (and 13 years since the last time he has appeared in a new game) and he is still easily one of the most stylish fighting game characters.

Honestly can't help but smile when I'm watching him in action and playing him. The guy oozes style.

It's about time someone calls out Kim on his issues - over the years I get the impression he just uses the "justice!" schtick to get to beat up disliked people with impunity, and doesn't really seem to go beyond that.

Tbh I'm glad they are finally adding more substance to him, both through people calling him out and the addition of Gang Il and Luong who turn the tables on his position of power.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Luong is the best

Awesome to play as
and hot as hell

I always go towards using woman in FGs so its great KOF has so many to choose from. Each different too rather than a copy n paste of TnA

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I managed to find my footing with Angel and I still find Najd to be incredibly hard to use.

Cool looking combos though.

It's interesting that now while playing in story mode some CPU-controlled teams are a mix of DLC and older characters.

That was on the patch notes for 2.00, arcade/story mode had been tweaked so stages 4 and 7 would always have custom teams with at least one DLC characters and would use one of the new stages added to the game.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible that kof could get another visual patch? I'm thinking they could add an optional filter to the game, one that looks like their new all girl fighters game?

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little hard to get used playing Najd because you lose CD if you hold D and you lose rolls and Max Mode if you hold B. If you hit one random lvl 3~4 drop kick you can easily take half of the opponent's life or more.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Hein says he dont care which way you roll, you gonna eat this damage.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
So this is my first KOF game I've tried playing for real and I'm loving all the characters so far Leona is my favorite but I also like Terry and Rock do you guys have any tips for those 3?

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of holding dropkicks, Najd is very straightforward. She requires you to really have your KOF basics down, because she doesn't really have any gimmicks or cheap stuff to blow up new or bad players. You gotta earn your hits with good neutral.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit staying inside on Heidern is so hard. He puts out cross cutters like mad to bait jumps and once you try to jump his poke range is good enough to deal or you just get moonslashered. Guile wishes he was this oppressive. Once you get in thats it you HAVE to go ham because once you are at neutral or further on the screen its his world. I'm watching some poor bastard trying to hold up vs a good Heidern with his Ralf and its just brutal. Basically I'm abusing folks with dashup tools, armor or grounded projectiles like Geese or Terry to force Heidern to try and come in more. What I wouldn't give for Shen Woo in this matchup lol. Gang IL works decent for it though.

Man this game is intense now. Loving all these changes and teams.

OP
OP
SAB-CA

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
3.01 Patch Notes! (Translated by Frionel):

This is a nice and quick response to the bugs that arose from 3.0, surely. Good stuff, SNK.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit thats fast

if only other companies, cough ARK SYSTEM WORKS cough, could follow up
Or Capcom. Have you seen Vega's hitbox problems? Literally swiping through people's model with claws and it whifs. Man could he ever use the hitbox fixes. Speaking of I noticed some of Gang IL's jump normals must have a hitbox only on his foot and not his leg. I wanted to test for instant overhead options and he has one kick thats angle is straight up and even though he swings it in front of him it never connects below the foot. Its like the hitbox is above only just for juggle purposes. Very odd looking, but not too blatant. Something to remember though if I try to vary things on jump in. That one would get me punished hard.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is my first KOF game I've tried playing for real and I'm loving all the characters so far Leona is my favorite but I also like Terry and Rock do you guys have any tips for those 3?

If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask, for general tips check out the character specific vids in this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Coliflowerz/videos

He does a great rundown of the essentials for the characters (he calls them combo tutorials but they aren't just that). They are pre 3.0 patch but most of the info should still apply.

3.01 Patch Notes! (Translated by Frionel):

This is a nice and quick response to the bugs that arose from 3.0, surely. Good stuff, SNK.

Yeah SNK has been on point with the updates since the game launched, really good stuff.

Speaking of I noticed some of Gang IL's jump normals must have a hitbox only on his foot and not his leg. I wanted to test for instant overhead options and he has one kick thats angle is straight up and even though he swings it in front of him it never connects below the foot. Its like the hitbox is above only just for juggle purposes. Very odd looking, but not too blatant. Something to remember though if I try to vary things on jump in. That one would get me punished hard.

Gang Il's instant overhead is jumping LP, which is cancellable and you should cancel into air QCB+K (which leaves him at advantage and he can even combo after). Check out pretty much any match with Reynald using him, he abuses the heck out of it.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask, for general tips check out the character specific vids in this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Coliflowerz/videos

Gang Il's instant overhead is jumping LP, which is cancellable and you should cancel into air QCB+K (which leaves him at advantage and he can even combo after). Check out pretty much any match with Reynald using him, he abuses the heck out of it.
Oh wow thanks for that. I'm just now trying to learn the character since I think he's a good counterpick to Heidern with that charge kick of his able to suck up hits and punish like Shen Woo used to do. Still trying to get the cancel timing for the followups off of stomp down. Seems tighter than the cancel timing on K' and his fire shots. Maybe I'm reading the animation wrong and the window starts sooner than I believe it does.
If I can get Gang IL down I think it'll help in the long run anyways. He seems like a solid tool for bullying folks. My Andy was just getting ate up by Heidern. Hard to elbow pressure that guy and his crosscutters seem to leave him in a better place than my fireballs if we go to war at a distance. Thought I'd try abusing armor like I do in most games and abuse him from neutral on up to do something different this time around since my usual solution in any KOF title is to just replace someone with Iori, Kyo or Terry if I run into something that troubles me.

Got any players I should be looking up for K' Gang IL Kukri Alice or Love Heart? I'm feeling out team 3.0 right now. Since Mui Mui + Andy sorta feels off now with all the changes in the environment. Both feel like they get stuffed easier to me so I thought I'd fresh start my lineup. Probably too early to find a good Oswald or Heidern to copy.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow thanks for that. I'm just now trying to learn the character since I think he's a good counterpick to Heidern with that charge kick of his able to suck up hits and punish like Shen Woo used to do. Still trying to get the cancel timing for the followups off of stomp down. Seems tighter than the cancel timing on K' and his fire shots. Maybe I'm reading the animation wrong and the window starts sooner than I believe it does.
If I can get Gang IL down I think it'll help in the long run anyways. He seems like a solid tool for bullying folks. My Andy was just getting ate up by Heidern. Hard to elbow pressure that guy and his crosscutters seem to leave him in a better place than my fireballs if we go to war at a distance. Thought I'd try abusing armor like I do in most games and abuse him from neutral on up to do something different this time around since my usual solution in any KOF title is to just replace someone with Iori, Kyo or Terry if I run into something that troubles me.

Got any players I should be looking up for K' Gang IL Kukri Alice or Love Heart? I'm feeling out team 3.0 right now. Since Mui Mui + Andy sorta feels off now with all the changes in the environment. Both feel like they get stuffed easier to me so I thought I'd fresh start my lineup. Probably too early to find a good Oswald or Heidern to copy.

Not sure if you know about the button hold trick but if you hold the attack button down after performing a special or super then the game stores the motion in a buffer for a few frames. This makes it much easier to time cancels and specials (and especially super cancels) since you can do the move ahead of time and then just hold and the game will automatically perform the move the first chance it gets via the buffer even if you did it too early.

Make sure to look into Gang Il's EX stomp (shakes the entire screen Goro ground pound style, really good for stopping people from throwing fireballs) and also his EX air QCB+K (this move is basically one giant window of invincibility, straight from KOFXIII Kim).

As for players to look up:

K' = M' from Japan (won the KOFXIV world championship thanks to K'). He dropped K' in 2.0 due to the nerfs but was rocking him again in a post 3.0 patch stream saying that "K' is back"

Gang Il = Reynald kicks a lot of ass with him. The best one imo is a player from Japan but I can't remember his name, does combos that no one else does and does really well at tournaments.

Alice = she hasn't been used much at tournament level aside from Bala winning that one tournament with her (which you can find on YT)

Kukri = definitely look up Dechimo, amazing Kukri. He Angel is also one of the best.

Love Heart = Xiao Hu from China is the best one. He often goes toe to toe with Xiaohai. Check out his match against M'. He also has an excellent Luong.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you know about the button hold trick but if you hold the attack button down after performing a special or super then the game stores the motion in a buffer for a few frames. This makes it much easier to time cancels and specials (and especially super cancels) since you can do the move ahead of time and then just hold and the game will automatically perform the move the first chance it gets via the buffer even if you did it too early.

Make sure to look into Gang Il's EX stomp (shakes the entire screen Goro ground pound style, really good for stopping people from throwing fireballs) and also his EX air QCB+K (this move is basically one giant window of invincibility, straight from KOFXIII Kim).

As for players to look up:

K' = M' from Japan (won the KOFXIV world championship thanks to K'). He dropped K' in 2.0 due to the nerfs but was rocking him again in a post 3.0 patch stream saying that "K' is back"

Gang Il = Reynald kicks a lot of ass with him. The best one imo is a player from Japan but I can't remember his name, does combos that no one else does and does really well at tournaments.

Alice = she hasn't been used much at tournament level aside from Bala winning that one tournament with her (which you can find on YT)

Kukri = definitely look up Dechimo, amazing Kukri. He Angel is also one of the best.

Love Heart = Xiao Hu from China is the best one. He often goes toe to toe with Xiaohai. Check out his match against M'. He also has an excellent Luong.
O_O
I did NOT know about the button hold trick. Does that mean I input the stomp, hold the button then just hit (for example) forward and release the button and the cancel move comes out negative edge style?

EDIT: Oh fuck me how did I miss this tutorial in KOF 13!?

This applies now? Please lord add this to the OP. This is critical as it makes it so ALL moves come out on the earliest available frame if entered early and held. I went through all of KOF 13 just rocking it hardway on memorizing timings.
DOUBLE EDIT:
Oh man...this tells me something. All those double motions and and quarter circles into half circles...if the game takes on input buffers like this for the attack button then that must mean that the directional inputs buffer as hard as well meaning that ANY move I see with say a qcf into a half circle was something MEANT to be comboed into by a QCF move in their repetoire because it'd buffer the directional input from the previous move allowing the qcf+HCB to come out via input buffer shortcut by only entering part of the motion instead of the whole thing! That means any overly complicated input in the move list is actually a clue filled roadmap to tell you "buffer this move with whatever in your move list has the first part of the motion for a combo stupid!"

God damn I've been making KOF hard as fuck for years and still loved it. Bet I can figure out a fuckload of shortcuts after this talk.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O_O
I did NOT know about the button hold trick. Does that mean I input the stomp, hold the button then just hit (for example) forward and release the button and the cancel move comes out negative edge style?

EDIT: Oh fuck me how did I miss this tutorial in KOF 13!?

This applies now? Please lord add this to the OP. This is critical as it makes it so ALL moves come out on the earliest available frame if entered early and held. I went through all of KOF 13 just rocking it hardway on memorizing timings.

Yup that's it and it works in XIV as well. It was a godsend in XIII and made combos much, much easier.

Combining the hold with overlapping motions makes cancels really easy in XIV. To cancel Terry's power wave into Buster Wolf for example, you just do QCF+P and then immediately another QCF+K and just continue holding the K. The super cancel is pretty much guaranteed.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Yup that's it and it works in XIV as well. It was a godsend in XIII and made combos much, much easier.

Combining the hold with overlapping motions makes cancels really easy in XIV. To cancel Terry's power wave into Buster Wolf for example, you just do QCF+P and then immediately another QCF+K and just continue holding the K. The super cancel is pretty much guaranteed.
So negative edging works with the button hold trick? I can hold the attack input from the first move and then release it after inputting the direction on the second to get BOTH to come out?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So negative edging works with the button hold trick? I can hold the attack input from the first move and then release it after inputting the direction on the second to get BOTH to come out?

KOF doesn't have negative edge, you hold the attack button after completing the motion for the move you want to cancel into.

So for the Terry cancel I mentioned:
- input QCF+P
- input QCF+K and continue holding the K

The Buster Wolf will come out the first chance it gets.

If you want to cancel Mary's anti-air kick into her QCF HCB+P super:
- input DP+K
- input QCB+P and hold P

Btw to do QCF+HCB motions you don't actually have to do the HCB, you can just do QCF+QCB.

Other alternative motions for QCF+HCB:
1. QCF QCF then hit back+attack button
2. QCF, tap down-forward then hit back+attack button

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
KOF doesn't have negative edge, you hold the attack button after completing the motion for the move you want to cancel into.

- input QCF+P

- input DP+K
- input QCB+P and hold P

Btw to do QCF+HCB motions you don't actually have to do the HCB, you can just do QCF+QCB.

Hmm. So I was right on suspecting input directional buffering to carry over between moves but I was wrong to suspect negative edge also being on deck. So if I still wanted to do K' and his Ein trigger (the little flame puff he puts out with all the cancel options) I could NOT just do QCF A, hold down the A, then hit forward and release the A to get the second whip cancel option to come out. Thats because since there is no negative edging in KOF it wouldn't count as me hitting A after I input forward for second whip by simply releasing the held button.

Did I get that right?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. So I was right on suspecting input directional buffering to carry over between moves but I was wrong to suspect negative edge also being on deck. So if I still wanted to do K' and his Ein trigger (the little flame puff he puts out with all the cancel options) I could NOT just do QCF A, hold down the A, then hit forward and release the A to get the second whip cancel option to come out. Thats because since there is no negative edging in KOF it wouldn't count as me hitting A after I input forward for second whip by simply releasing the held button.

Did I get that right?

Yeah, that wouldn't work.

The button hold trick in KOF allows you to input a motion for a special or super and then store it in the buffer for a number of frames. You are inputing the next move you want and storing it and then it comes out when it can.

It works in general too, not just cancels. You can see it in action by doing Angel's RDP+K throw and then juggling with her super. Input the super while she is recovering from the throw animation (at the end of it) and hold the attack button, she will do the super immediately after her throw animation ends.

Another way to see it is to jump with Clark and input HCF+K before landing. Input the move and hold K, you will be surprised how early you can input the move in the air before he lands and still have it come out when he touches the ground.

Of course, if you do it way too early then nothing will come out (this is why sometimes you see tournament players miss combos and instead of doing something the character just stands there, what they did was buffer the move way too early).

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

- input QCF+P

- input DP+K
- input QCB+P and hold P

Oh wow, thanks for this. In both XIII and XIV, I couldn't pull off some of the tricky Super Cancels from the tutorial mode which was mainly Kyo's Oniyaki (F,D,Df) into a super (namely the QCFX2 Mu Shiki)

I'll try this when I get a chance to download 3.0

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the button hold trick is gonna help me a lot I was struggling doing any combos but this makes the game seem alot less intimidating.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017

- input QCF+P

- input DP+K
- input QCB+P and hold P

This changes everything.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
If ya'll wanna learn this game faster, you all should really check out Juicebox's stream. He said on twitter that he's gonna go through Heidern later on tonight. He also frequently answers questions no matter what skill level you are.

http://twitch.tv/juicebox_fgc

Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing Najd since release and I don't think she's particularly hurt by the dropkick (especially if you just map LK+HK on a button for it) since her gameplan is nearly completely reliant on her punch buttons and in comparison, the drop kick is pretty darn useful.

And speaking of Najd, Xiao Hai and a chines player called Tiandi played a FT10 set and Tiandi managed to use Najd ot OCV Xao Hai once.

Pretty cool showing.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, she definitely needs at least one kick button at times. You lose counters, roll, max mode, CD moves, far. D and her air D. You lose A LOT by charging both kicks.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, she definitely needs at least one kick button at times. You lose counters, roll, max mode, CD moves, far. D and her air D. You lose A LOT by charging both kicks.
In short...her whole spacing and combo game goes to shit. Mobility is big in KOF. If you somehow manage a full charge with Najd you deserve it.

BTW, anyone know what ever happened to Ichisim after he won Fez Fighters 2017. I saw that he won an amazing KOF 14 belt and was thinking this should happen more often. I wanna see the belt on the line.

C8HvLauWsAAWcJA.jpg

Last edited:

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
In short...her whole spacing and combo game goes to shit. Mobility is big in KOF. If you somehow manage a full charge with Najd you deserve it.

Correct, but I also forgot to mention that she loses cr. B and I think even access to having a low at all? You lose a big part of the mix up game, so you're pretty much completely relying on just running and jumps/hops. Also didn't mention guard cancel options.

It's just not worth it to charge both kicks. If I were to pick one, I'd definitely pick charging D over B though. B allows rolls, max mode, and cr. B. I find those way more important than what D offers.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And speaking of Najd, Xiao Hai and a chines player called Tiandi played a FT10 set and Tiandi managed to use Najd ot OCV Xao Hai once.

Pretty cool showing.

Damn, he owned Xiaohai.

Najd looks like she will be a great point character. Imo SNK did a great job with her gameplay.

It's just not worth it to charge both kicks. If I were to pick one, I'd definitely pick charging D over B though. B allows rolls, max mode, and cr. B. I find those way more important than what D offers.

Yeah have to agree so far, it was worth it for Raiden due to the drive cancel system but Najd doesn't have that and she loses too many tools if she locks away LK.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't she have a scarf-less alt in her reveal trailer?!

Oct 29, 2017
You're probably thinking of the video with her Seiyuu where it was briefly shown her key art, that included a close up to her face without the hood.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Might be, I know I've seen here with the short white hair somewhere, would be weird for SNK to show her like that when it's nowhere to be seen in the game!