• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Update would be live now on PC, X1, Switch and PS4. If you've been holding out on getting these collections, they're well worth picking up soon.
The contra and castlevania updates are around 400 MB, whereas the Arcade Collection's update is around 250 MB.

EDIT: Also the audio glitch in Castlevania 1 has been fixed.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sound glitches in Castlevania 1 have also been fixed. These are truly great collections now.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to make sure I understand correctly, all 3 of their Classics releases have gotten this update? I was holding off due to no button mapping.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice, been waiting to see if they'd fix the audio glitch and shit and now it seems I should pull the trigger on Switch

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Did they fix any of the aspect ratio errors (i.e. full screen not going to top and bottom of screen unless scanlines are selected, and mixing up full screen with pixel perfect)?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can give Konami all of my money and buy the arcade one too. I had honestly given up on button mapping, good on them.
Contra already had the Japanese versions though.
Only for Contra 1 NES (due to some changes it has, making it an improvement). The update adds JP versions for all the other games, which is nice because now we have JP Hard Corps with the health bar option that's absent in the western releases.

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a handy list of all the NA vs JP differences for Castlevania? I know I'll want to play III's Japanese version, but I'm unsure about the other seven games.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Does anyone have a handy list of all the NA vs JP differences for Castlevania? I know I'll want to play III's Japanese version, but I'm unsure about the other seven games.
I would recommend reading through the Cutting Room Floor entries for the games ^^;

Finally I can give Konami all of my money and buy the arcade one too. I had honestly given up on button mapping, good on them.

Only for Contra 1 NES (due to some changes it has, making it an improvement). The update adds JP versions for all the other games, which is nice because now we have JP Hard Corps with the health bar option that's absent in the western releases.
Muthaffff IT HAD A HEALTH BAR?!?!?!

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How do I switch to the Japanese versions? I don't see an option for it?

Edit: Nvm, you have to scroll to the bottom of the main menu.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Did they fix any of the aspect ratio errors (i.e. full screen not going to top and bottom of screen unless scanlines are selected, and mixing up full screen with pixel perfect)?
Those aren't errors. 4:3 doesn't fill the screen because it's still 4x integer scaled on the vertical axis and only non-integer scales on the horizontal for that 4:3 ratio. Pixel perfect mode is wider than 4:3 because it's a 5x4 scale, not 4x4. Makes sense for the NES & SNES games, not so much for the MD games (so hopefully they fix the latter).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they do this on the same day as bloodstained.

I suppose I can overindulge this evening on castle crawling.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an option to play the JP games with english text?

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Those aren't errors. 4:3 doesn't fill the screen because it's still 4x integer scaled on the vertical axis and only non-integer scales on the horizontal for that 4:3 ratio. Pixel perfect mode is wider than 4:3 because it's a 5x4 scale, not 4x4. Makes sense for the NES & SNES games, not so much for the MD games (so hopefully they fix the latter).

Thanks for the info. Still weird that 1) "full screen" does hit the top and bottom of the screen when scanlines are selected and 2) the preview pic of "full screen" without scanlines shows the picture hitting the top and bottom of the screen.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is there an option to play the JP games with english text?
No. The PC release has all the games' files in one .iso like file. Should it be cracked and it allows for modders to inject fan hacks etc. into it, you'll be able to play the various JP games with English. In the case of Castlevania 2, it'd mean playing the various fanhacks of the game too.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
4:3 and pixel perfect are definitely swapped. You can tell just by switching between them. Pixel perfect looks wider, while "original" mode is much thinner, despite the fact it is supposed to be 4:3 (4:3 should be wider, while pixel perfect should be thinner, and it is the opposite in this collection, basically). Also, the image in both of these modes does not fully cover the screen, with black bars on the top and bottom. These are %100 errors, because if you switch to the "4:3 Scanline" mode, it will display properly in 4:3, and with the picture covering the top and bottom of the screen. This is exactly how the games looks in every other version I have played of them, minus the filter itself which I personally dislike. Worst thing about this collection to me by far, shame they didn't fix it.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Thanks for the info. Still weird that 1) "full screen" does hit the top and bottom of the screen when scanlines are selected and 2) the preview pic of "full screen" without scanlines shows the picture hitting the top and bottom of the screen.
[/
These most definitely are errors. The preview pictures in the options menu show the correct way these aspect ratios should be displayed, and 4:3 scanlines is a proper 4:3 presentation as well. The aspect ratio is completely messed up in everything but the GB games, and still has not been fixed. :(

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Also, is there a reason Castlevania 2's JP version isn't present? Why leave it out when the rest of the games have received this treatment?

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
These most definitely are errors. The preview pictures in the options menu show the correct way these aspect ratios should be displayed, and 4:3 scanlines is a proper 4:3 presentation as well. The aspect ratio is completely messed up in everything but the GB games, and still has not been fixed. :(

That's a bummer. Hopefully it gets fixed in another update.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Also, is there a reason Castlevania 2's JP version isn't present? Why leave it out when the rest of the games have received this treatment?

The Japanese version of the game has the US CV2. From my understanding, it's because of the disk system BIOS. The version of CV1 that's on this is the Japanese cart version from the early 90s, not the original disk system one either.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's a bummer. Hopefully it gets fixed in another update.
I have given up hope, lol. I just play in "pixel perfect" ( which is actually 4:3 as far as I can tell) for everything but the the GB games. Depending on your TV's zoom settings, you may be able to to make the picture a bit larger as well if you want.
The Japanese version of the game has the US CV2. From my understanding, it's because of the disk system BIOS. The version of CV1 that's on this is the Japanese cart version from the early 90s, not the original disk system one either.
Ah, gotcha. Major bummer for sure, although tbh, Japanese text would probably make CV2 even harder to play without a walkthrough than it already is, lol.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Are the PAL versions also included in those collections? I have a friend who wishes to play the games in 50Hz just as he remembers them.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
The "Original" display option is actually 4:3. I've overlayed pictures from the NES and SNES Classic versions (in 4:3) over Switch handheld screenshots, so they're both 720p, in Photoshop, and they match. It's Pixel Perfect that's wrong. It's not swapped with 4:3 (original). I think it's actually making the game as wide as Genesis Pixel Perfect, which is displayed correctly. Pixel Perfect on the NES and SNES games is displayed correctly in 8:7 on Switch in handheld mode; though, which tells me it's a bug.

Last edited:

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I have given up hope, lol. I just play in "pixel perfect" ( which is actually 4:3 as far as I can tell) for everything but the the GB games. Depending on your TV's zoom settings, you may be able to to make the picture a bit larger as well if you want.

Yeah, I have gotten used to pixel perfect. Otherwise, I have been setting the game to 16:9 screen but my tv to 4:3 and that gives a true 4:3 image on the screen.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Also, on another note, I'm not very knowledgeable of Famicom games, but I thought all FC games sounded better than their NES counterparts? Or is that just certain games? Doesn't really seem to be much difference with CV1's soundtrack at all. Was CV3 the only one with a different (and obviously much better) soundtrack?

Oct 25, 2017
So just a recap, the Japanese versions of Gradius I and II, Salamander, and Haunted Castle are the superior versions in the Arcade Classics Collection? And the rest in that particular compilation are more or less the same?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Also, on another note, I'm not very knowledgeable of Famicom games, but I thought all FC games sounded better than their NES counterparts? Or is that just certain games? Doesn't really seem to be much difference with CV1's soundtrack at all. Was CV3 the only one with a different (and obviously much better) soundtrack?

Just certain games. Konami used a special chip in the famicom release of Dracula's Curse (VRC6). NES cannot support special sound chips at all so it isn't in the NES cart, only Famicom supports expansion audio.