Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all realize it was Warlock that sent Omega Sentinel back, right?
5f9d8a0a48995ea25aca1b659b4ce03d.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Well they only keep back up copies of mutants but i guess if it was jean or emma they could have made a quick download and edited his mind then killed him, seems easier to just make him forget tho

Oct 8, 2019
The original X-Men Red made no sense either, I'll give you that. But this one doesn't either. And just because it takes place in Mars doesn't mean that it should have X-Men on the title if no X-Men are gonna be in the book.

X-men Red is going to sell a lot better than a comic book called Arakko. I think Marvel sees X-men, Immortal X-men, and X-men Red as the three biggest books in the line. Al Ewing, and Kieron Gillen are both considered some of the best writers in the business.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The original X-Men Red made no sense either, I'll give you that. But this one doesn't either. And just because it takes place in Mars doesn't mean that it should have X-Men on the title if no X-Men are gonna be in the book.

Immortal X-Men, X-Men Red, Legion of X, and Knights of X are all named what they are because potential buyers know what "X-Men" and "X" mean moreso than naming a book Arrakko or Quiet Council. I'm half surprised Marauders wasn't changed to something like "Skull and X-Bones" or "Pirates of X."

Still, "Planet X" was sitting right there and they didn't take it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Though I haven't seen anything from Hickman that seems to indicate he's bitter, the ending of Inferno feels a little meta about how the status quo lasted longer than intended, especially with the whole 'We built it for...' speech ending with Stan Lee's favorite term, 'True Believers'

XqsNXb1AQVz3MbEwASiWlgdJ6nAu_-6cDziTmcJCP2csGwqKaJLlMyAaUP2g9mVR5pvlLAmW5bzcwas6U6U358ojbTy_CYslPVUPtJzA8-Xo-64HGXR8N1g5YjTRm20K2B_JiyDErg=s1600

Everything I have heard of Hickman makes me think his a great guy, and not really a guy whose going to try to throw his fellow writers under the bus like that.

Like a lot of the things he was doing was setting up other writer's comics like the "the Pretender" stuff sets up Trial of Magneto, and the Crucible sets up way of X and now Legion of X. There were people who wanted Hickman to just write some big epic storyline by himself, and I think he understood that Marvel wanted multiple X-men comics, and your not going to bring in top creators like Kieron Gillien, and Al Ewing without giving them a lot of freedom to do their own ideas.

The interview I read iirc had Hickman saying he basically went into this knowing he might not get to finish it because Krakoa was such a juicy status quo.

He went to the X-Men office and said something like I'm ready for phase 2 of my 3 phase story, are you? They said no, he was like cool cool, I'll wrap up my stuff and it's all yours.

So this was Hickman's last right? Man it feels like this was overall much shorter than his FF and Avengers' runs.

X of Swords was fucking AMAZING though.

He had 3 phases planned and Krakoa was just phase 1 and no one wants to move on from that yet, I hope it lasts for as long as Claremont's X-Men run at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the longest the xmen have stayed in one area? Out side of the mansion of course, how long did they last in central park or utopia?

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Where would one get started with X-Men comics? House of X and Powers of X? And how is Marvel Unlimited for reading X-Men these days?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
He had 3 phases planned and Krakoa was just phase 1 and no one wants to move on from that yet, I hope it lasts for as long as Claremont's X-Men run at least.
Agreed! I want to last so long that kids who are my age when I started reading comics watches or reads old X-Men stuff and ask "Why are they at a school?"

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
But think about it, if Moira dies with her powers and resets, then by the rules laid already by Hickman it would reset all of Marvel continuity that has occurred since her birth. Not just X-Men continuity, but Avengers, FF, Spider-Man, etc. Everything.

It would be ridiculous for Marvel to suggest that Moira's death/reset only changed some of the X-Men's status quo since HOX/POX but that everything else in the Marvel universe happened 99% the same way with no ripple effects across continuity. Marvel continuity can get convoluted here and there until a writer comes in and sorts out some lingering issue, but overall Marvel has made a point to not do major resets like DC has done with New 52, etc. It would open a huge can of worms and I just don't see Marvel doing that, unless of course it's some kind of alternate or standalone What If type story.

I think Moira's mutant power is just a plot device Hickman used to set up this new status quo for the X-Men. The drama comes from how it recontextualizes what has already come before and the stakes it raises for the future of mutants. I doubt he or Marvel ever had the intention of using her to reset the whole Marvel universe. In the future it may set off new plots where different factions are after Moira because they realize who/what she is, but they'll always stop short of actually pulling the trigger on a reset.
Moira's interjection as a mutant didn't change much either, even though she provided Xavier and Magneto damn near 20 years of lead time. After all, the 8th Cosmos is already damn near mirrored of the 7th with the exception being Moira is a mutant, so who's to say that another death/rebirth cycle couldn't have a bunch of stuff happen again the exact same way until we get to the Krakoa era, where she would want things to be different, even if slightly so, in order to avoid the man/mutant/machine war. Most alt-timelines and universes play out exactly the same as 616 until the event divergence, so this wouldn't be a drastic change.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who is or isn't an X-Men member changes with the seasons as teams are disbanded and new teams are formed. The original X-Men Red added Trinary and Gentle to the team, for example.

It's reductionist to say that only historical X-Men are allowed in an X-Men title, especially when we just had an X-Men run in 2019-2020 that wasn't about the X-Men at all.

Where would one get started with X-Men comics? House of X and Powers of X? And how is Marvel Unlimited for reading X-Men these days?
Marvel Unlimited is probably the best bang for your buck, yeah. Physical collections can quickly get expensive, especially in the current era where the line is so large.

If you have no familiarity with X-Men at all, I'd recommend starting with:
  • X-Men Season One as a more modern take on the original setup
  • X-Men Grand Design trilogy as a catch-up of the major plots from the 60s-80s
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is a popular point to jump on after that, as it leads into some of the most famous 2000s storylines which haven't yet ben covered by Grand Design (notably House of M, Decimation and the Messiah trilogy).

Alternatively, you could read up summaries of these events and jump straight to House of X and Powers of X. It's up to you and whatever grabs you!

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Marvel Unlimited is probably the best bang for your buck, yeah. Physical collections can quickly get expensive, especially in the current era where the line is so large.

If you have no familiarity with X-Men at all, I'd recommend starting with:
  • X-Men Season One as a more modern take on the original setup
  • X-Men Grand Design trilogy as a catch-up of the major plots from the 60s-80s
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is a popular point to jump on after that, as it leads into some of the most famous 2000s storylines which haven't yet ben covered by Grand Design (notably House of M, Decimation and the Messiah trilogy).

Alternatively, you could read up summaries of these events and jump straight to House of X and Powers of X. It's up to you and whatever grabs you!

Sounds good, thanks!

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Moira's interjection as a mutant didn't change much either, even though she provided Xavier and Magneto damn near 20 years of lead time. After all, the 8th Cosmos is already damn near mirrored of the 7th with the exception being Moira is a mutant, so who's to say that another death/rebirth cycle couldn't have a bunch of stuff happen again the exact same way until we get to the Krakoa era, where she would want things to be different, even if slightly so, in order to avoid the man/mutant/machine war. Most alt-timelines and universes play out exactly the same as 616 until the event divergence, so this wouldn't be a drastic change.

Yeah, it could be done. They could say Moira dies, resets, and does everything exactly the same way until we get to the point where Mystique and Destiny make their move in Inferno, but to me that just feels like a cheat. I've never seen the question of "Will mutants, man or machines win in the future" as something Hickman was interested in providing a definite answer to. I always expected Hickman's run to end with Moira depowered and Krakoa left to survive and navigate an uncertain future. To me this feels like an unsurprising but natural conclusion to Moira's place in the Krakoa era, but this is comics, so some writer or editorial in the future could very well milk another reset out of her.[\spoiler]

Hickman has so often said that he dislikes comic book events which burn down everything and break stuff, leaving future writers with less to work with. This is of course ironic given he named this arc "Inferno" and it is about two characters wanting to "burn everything down". But I suspect that's part of the joke.

To me, this fate for Moira feels like turning her into an interesting problem for others to make use of in the future. A former (?) mutant who knows WAY too much about almost everything mutants could possibly do or be in various situations. And she is misanthropic towards her own people and wants to end them (as they are) for her view of the greater good.

That flows in an interesting and ominous way with the recent reveals about Abigail Brand's viewpoint and scheming. If Brand didn't already know about Moira, well, I would be she's about to become really interested. (I'm straight out assuming Brand finds out anything the Quiet Council talks about.)

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
As I stated earlier I could always just rename the thread to: The Krakoa Era of X-Men |OT| We'll miss you John

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It brings up a good question though: which side are Doug/Warlock/Krakoa on? It wasn't made clear by the end of Inferno. Do they have their own agenda?
Feels like he is the only one advocating for Krakoa. Even know the mutants feel kinda dismissive to the giant monster island that makes buildings and feeds them.

Oct 31, 2017

Not HoX/PoX IMO. It's more impactful if you know the history. And yes Marvel Unlimited will let you get through all of it except for anything released in the past couple of months.

I think this is a good starting point:

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017

Anybody else here listen to this Pod?
Episode of Hickman talking Inferno.

X QUESTION:
zw9h94v4mwz61.jpg

What's going on with the OG Mansion, is it just empty and abandoned at the moment? Last time I saw it was here when Cyclops met up with Cap in Planet Sized X-Men. I am surprised it hasn't been already transported or at least a copy remade on Krakoa.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Out of all of the current and ongoing X-Men threats, which is the most dangerous to the mutants besides Orchis? I am not too certain where Hordeculture, Children of the Vault, and XENOS all fall into the picture for the future of X-Men villains.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Out of all of the current and ongoing X-Men threats, which is the most dangerous to the mutants besides Orchis? I am not too certain where Hordeculture, Children of the Vault, and XENOS all fall into the picture for the future of X-Men villains.
ORCHIS is probably the biggest immediate threat. But the Hordeculture have hacked the gates so they are an issue.

The Children are probably the next big crossover event.

Besides that we still have the Russian issue, the baby Hellfire Club and the mutants of Arakko. And Brand

Besides alot of talent writers onboard so I suspect we'll get some interesting villains.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
ORCHIS is probably the biggest immediate threat. But the Hordeculture have hacked the gates so they are an issue.

The Children are probably the next big crossover event.

Besides that we still have the Russian issue, the baby Hellfire Club and the mutants of Arakko. And Brand

Besides alot of talent writers onboard so I suspect we'll get some interesting villains.

Chances of Exodus getting featured more this year? He's been awfully quiet since I last saw him scheming with talking to mutant children on the side. Also what's the likelihood of the many-angled ones coming back for Vulcan?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Chances of Exodus getting featured more this year? He's been awfully quiet since I last saw him scheming with talking to mutant children on the side. Also what's the likelihood of the many-angled ones coming back for Vulcan?
Exodus is a True Believer he's not scheming. But I suspect he'll be a prominent part of Immortal X-Men since that is about the Council.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Inferno but it wasn't exactly the big finale I was expecting. It wasn't really of a finale at all. For all the "chickens coming home to roost" implications of the build up to it, nothing has really changed at all. The only material difference between pre-Inferno and post-Inferno is Moira becoming human. But she hasn't been a factor since HoX/PoX anyway.