• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
User Warned: Making a port-begging thread.
So I've made threads about this before in the past, but as time passes by and we get more Activision games, it just makes less and less sense. For reference, the last cod game on a Nintendo console was Cod Ghosts on the Wii U way back in 2013. They likely stopped because they didn't make a profit and sold less than half a million, unlike the cod games on Wii which sold about a million copies on average, and actually ended up as one of the top selling AAA party franchises on Wii. Yes, on a console that was more than 10x weaker than the competition. Treyarch back then were some wizards porting on the Switch.

But now, there is really no excuse. Just this year alone we've gotten Crash Remastered Trilogy, Crash Team Racing, Spyro Remastered Trilogy, Overwatch, and Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection to name a few. All well known franchises. But something is missing...

Not to mention switch now has TRIPLE the lifetime sales of the Wii U in less than 3 years, and is on its way to selling 85-100+ million in it's lifetime!

There really is no excuse. The Switch is selling as fast as PS4 and the market for online first person shooters is barren and much neededto be filled. Compared to platformers, racers and semi open world adventure games, competition for realistic first person shooters is scarce and needed, especially in 60fps.

So even cod 4 remastered at 720p-900p with some toned down details or Cod Online Mobile should be feasible if Activision doesn't want to handle 30fps ports. Activision, make your move already. You're sitting on a gold mine of potentially a million copies sold on Switch!

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
You just gotta accept Activision is never putting CoD on a Nintendo product again and move on.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Ghosts feels like it was a lifetime ago wtf.

Well I guess it might as well have been.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
These CoD games are coming in hot and I guess Activision doesn't want make it even more difficult by adding in some shitty downports. At a certain point it's gotta be like those last gen Shadow of Mordor ports where it was so compromised that it was silly.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised there never was a Call of Duty on 3DS considering the DS had plenty, but it was understandable seeing how sales of Western-made games were pretty low.

The Switch though, yeah, I'm really surprised too. At bare minimum, COD Mobile should be on there.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I could see them doing a campaign-only experience for the Switch. Nintendo platforms aren't the best vehicles for online games like COD because of the friend code nonsense.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You just gotta accept Activision is never putting CoD on a Nintendo product again and move on.

Lack of quality FPS to play on the go is something that's hard to forget about and move on. All Switch has story based Bethesda FPS's and Bulletstorm that's it. We need a good military shooter on this thing, doesn't matter where it comes from.

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see Call of Duty being profitable on Switch.
1.You'd have to create an entirely different game to get it on Switch. Modern Warfare would never run on the Switch.
2. The amount it would sell I don't think would make up for development costs for a different version from PS/XB plus taking away dev time from the next incarnation for that team.
3. Full shite online and chat system

I get you guys want Switch ports but some aren't very realistic. You might get the mobile version.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of quality FPS to play on the go is something that's hard to forget about and move on. All Switch has story based Bethesda FPS's and Bulletstorm that's it. We need a good military shooter on this thing, doesn't matter where it comes from.
I agree with you, but it's not gonna come from Activision.

Better go play Modern Combat on that Switch lmao

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
The idea some have that every game in existence should be on the Switch no matter what, or it's some personal dig at Switch owners is far more disturbing to me.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
yea this is like your 4th or 5th one
This might be the 3rd one this year.

Yeah but who makes it?
Treyarch has ported every single game with online compatibility on the Wii and Wii U. There was a dedicated Wii Team for this actually back then. Treyarch could do this or outsource it to another company.

These CoD games are coming in hot and I guess Activision doesn't want make it even more difficult by adding in some shitty downports. At a certain point it's gotta be like those last gen Shadow of Mordor ports where it was so compromised that it was silly.
Dude, they made cod ports on the Wii, and that was on a console that was far more weaker than the competition than switch. 480p 30fps 10 players, no kill cam, lower polygon and resolutions, but the gameplay was identical otherwise, single player campaign and online multiplayer. And they sold around a million on average.

Nope. The market is there for a portable 1st person shooter. If enough agreed voices are heard on Twitter or even here, we can make a difference.

Cod Online Mobile shouldn't even be that hard to port and might be the most safest, considering it's free to play and it's gotten great reviews so far on phones.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Playing Cod MW at 540p and 30 fps would be a horrid experience. They would be decimated by players on other platforms with better visibility and response time. Also I doubt it can handle modes like ground war without serious downgrades

But more importantly and this is probably one of the main reasons why its not on switch, the game is 150gb on PS4, and they keep adding major content to it. No way will that fit on the switch. It's barely fitting on my 500gb PS4

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you message on switch online yet ?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would an MP centric game ever come to a console that doesn't even allow friend invites for party chat?
1.You'd have to create an entirely different game to get it on Switch. Modern Warfare would never run on the Switch.
2. The amount it would sell I don't think would make up for development costs for a different version from PS/XB plus taking away dev time from the next incarnation for that team.

I get you guys want Switch ports but some aren't very realistic. You might get the mobile version.
Basically all of the above. Like why would they do this? Anyone who is hardcore into CoD isn't going to be playing on switch.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The idea some have that every game in existence should be on the Switch no matter what, or it's some personal dig at Switch owners is far more disturbing to me.
Who the hell said the Switch needs every game in existence? Did I say that? No.

It's odd that the single best selling franchise on consoles has been ommited on Switch. A console that is selling as fast the Wii for a genre with no competition.

The only thing more ridiculous than this question is the answer to this question.
No centralized messaging system yet by Nintendo yet. But you can send invites and message in game. Nintendo is working on an system invite system

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Activision doesn't consider switch owners to be a target CoD market. It is what it is. They, like EA, operate under the guise that any switch owner who wants CoD would prefer it on the console/PC they also own.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Cod MW at 540p and 30 fps would be a horrid experience. They would be decimated by players on other platforms with better visibility and response time. Also I doubt it can handle modes like ground war without serious downgrades

I played Call of Duty on DS with PS1 level graphics on 200p screen and it was awesome.

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The only thing more ridiculous than this question is the answer to this question.
No centralized messaging system yet by Nintendo yet. But you can send invites and message in game. Nintendo is working on an system invite system

But more importantly and this is probably one of the main reasons why its not on switch, the game is 150gb on PS4, and they keep adding major content to it. No way will that fit on the switch. It's barely fitting on my 500gb PS4
Cod4 remastered runs 1080p 60fps on Xbone, no? This game isn't CPU heavy by any means. 720p-900p 60fps with toned down lighting, shadows, textures, and geometry (if needed) shouldn't be too challenging. Worst case scenario they could remaster of the original 360 ports at 1080p 60fps with improved lighting and shadows. Really, Activision has all the 360 ports at their disposal. Especially in times of need when a MW2, black ops, or MW3 Remaster comes.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, they made cod ports on the Wii, and that was on a console that was far more weaker than the competition than switch. 480p 30fps 10 players, no kill cam, lower polygon and resolutions, but the gameplay was identical otherwise, single player campaign and online multiplayer. And they sold around a million on average.
Unfortunately for Switch, no one makes games that way anymore. Have you noticed how "low settings" on PC games don't get rid of the lighting, completely swap out models for low polygonal models, swap shaders etc like they used to pre Crysis 2 days of PC ports? Yea that basically means the difference between low and max settings these days is about precision of effects that already exist and enhancing them with more granular detail, rather than completely redoing the rendering pipeline and assets like they used to, as it saves time. This also means the kind of port Wii games used to get where they'd totally change the lighting, models etc just isn't done anymore.

Infact even look at the Wolf 2/Doom ports, even they use the same lighting and assets as seen in the home console versions rather than swapping them out for a "switch suitable assets" like Wii ports used to get respectively, instead they focus on reducing the resolution of everything down to absurd levels to get the performance out. And when you look at how all these games perform on PC you can see that both those games are significantly less demanding on hardware than something like Modern Warfare or Blackout BR mode.

So a Switch port of a game like Modern Warfare done in the same way as Wii ports of COD4 is just not going to happen anymore. The best you can hope for is them porting COD mobile to Switch...which is probably a far better fit for the system than a game like Modern Warfare anyway.

Last edited:

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Switch got or is getting three Assassin's Creed games, two Wolfensteins and two Dooms, among many core games that required dedicated versions and have weaker sales potential. And they did it for Wii and DS.

Why would an MP centric game ever come to a console that doesn't even allow friend invites for party chat?

Most of the Switch's most popular games are online MP centric.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yea it's nintendo's online system that's keeping cod off the switch

that's also why overwatch by the same company isn't on the switch either

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Activision doesn't consider switch owners to be a target CoD market. It is what it is. They, like EA, operate under the guise that any switch owner who wants CoD would prefer it on the console/PC they also own.
How would you know? You don't speak for them. By your logic, how is that different with any other port on Switch, including all those ports I just mentioned. Perhaps they saw something in the portability aspect. We did get Overwatch after sll. They never know if they don't try.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Op I get where you are coming from but I'd also just accept some devs wont make things for Nintendo devices that they used to. With Game costs seeming to soar there doesnt seem to be room to make another version of something. Coming to terms with that is just what you have to do.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

The landscape has changed, that was over a decade ago and again Activision has been struggling to get games out on three platforms every year with three main dev teams + multiple support studios. What else do you think is happening, Activision is ignoring this obvious cashflow because of some unknown vendetta against Nintendo?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way the current CODs would be more compromised than than the literal Wii downports, lets not even touch the DS downports, they dont even have that excuse

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
yea it's nintendo's online system that's keeping cod off the switch

that's also why overwatch by the same company isn't on the switch either
But it's worked for fortnite and overwatch. And Doom, Splatoon 2, etc. I know the Switch's online system is lacking, but I see nothing wrong with the online system that would prevent them. Nothing overt at least.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
How is it disturbing? Wording like that just makes it sound more desperate or something. They have no reason to port to the Switch when Call of Duty mobile is doing great as their current paired down option. Maybe they'll port that eventually but not a mainline CoD. The power different is too much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.