• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Does anyone else like this area connection more than any in the Souls series? The interconnected stuff was always cool I guess but it was never more than that for me - just a "huh, cool. anyway moving on" situation. I always thought people who went berserk over how vital it was to the DS1 experience were overemphasizing the importance, and while I still think that, I found this one in Bloodborne to be so cool for whatever reason.

I guess because of where it leads and how there are piles of bodies underneath the clinic and etc. it's more "lore bait" or environmental storytelling than other area connection locations in the franchise so it's probably that. Most other connections are cool from a level design pov (like the DS1 firelink -> elevator -> valley of the drakes connecting a bunch of places) but I guess it's not as story heavy of a link. Then again I guess the woods to clinic connection isn't some innate story connection it's just the little details (again, like the skeleton piles at the ladder base) that seem to make it. I'm probably forgetting other examples in the Souls games where the connections are more blatantly linked like this.

It's also totally bizarre seeing the brain sucker thing outside and then an alien inside in the clinic.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you.

Bloodborne's shortcuts actually gave me more "whoa" moments than Dark Souls' shortcuts.

Probably a minority opinion, but it is what it is.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,incredible moment.It think it feels so good because of how far you think you've gone in the game after that trek through the Forbidden Woods.....and then you pop back out at the very beginning of the game.Amazing level design.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that was a cool shortcut. I feel Dark Souls gets a bit too much praise for its "I'm back at Firelink, again" shortcuts.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Bloodborne is such, such a gem.

i'm hoping that they deliver this kinda of level connection in Elden Ring.

with the game being open world i have my doubts, but let's see.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing through Bloodborne for my first time currently and, if it weren't for resources such as Bonfireside Chat, there is no way I would be able to understand anything going on, even if I did manage to find the secret areas by myself.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Blighttown end into New Londo wrapping up to Firelink blew my fucking mind the first time. Going up that elevator realizing I was right back at the beginning.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Blighttown end into New Londo wrapping up to Firelink blew my fucking mind the first time. Going up that elevator realizing I was right back at the beginning.
I just needed some minor irrelevant detail to connect them besides the actual connection. Like a drake skull or a Darkwraith sword or something at the bottom of that huge wheel elevator thing in Blighttown lol.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's a good'un.

But my favourite is still the first door one unlocks in Demon Souls. Most relief I'd ever felt in a game.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This is one of my top 5 moments of Bloodborne for sure.

I didn't know about it in my 1st play through because of how hard it can be to see the path when you are running through the Forbidden Woods. I totally even forgot about the locked gate right outside the clinic as the start of the game was 5-10 hours ago at least and you may have been playing over multiple days. When I first discovered it in my 2nd play through I first thought it was a pain in the butt due to the poison and enemies that were down there. I honestly almost turned around and gave up because it was a pain.

When I found that ladder though and started climbing and got to the halfway point into the cellar I was like WTF is going on here. Then when I climbed further and walked through the door and the "insight" counter triggered and the name appeared in the lower right of the screen I about flipped my shit.

Then of course the entire events and items you find in the clinic. God damn what an amazing part of the game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally the most useless shortcut ever and don't see why it gets as much praise as it does.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Firelink Church elevator will always be the one for me.

A shortcut should actually be a shortcut, not a cool interconnection. Firelink shortcuts are ones you will constantly use. You'll never use the Iosefka ladder connect after the first time.

Oct 25, 2017

A shortcut should actually be a shortcut, not a cool interconnection. Firelink shortcuts are ones you will constantly use. You'll never use the Iosefka ladder connect after the first time.
Dark Souls was my first Souls, and the Firelink-Church shortcut was probably the most emotionally potent one of the entire series for me, so I agree. It's not just the realization of the designers' cleverness but also the incredible relief and sense of safety you get that makes it such a good shortcut. It's peak Souls.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good'un.

But my favourite is still the first door one unlocks in Demon Souls. Most relief I'd ever felt in a game.
Which?

It's literally the most useless shortcut ever and don't see why it gets as much praise as it does.
I purposely didn't use the word shortcut because I barely consider it one. It's interesting because of the connection itself imo, not because it's an elevator from area a to b.

It's more of a connection between two areas than a shortcut. It lets you access a part of the game that is not accessible otherwise which just happens to be within a prior part of the game. It's not a shortcut in the same way the unlocked doors or elevators in the series are.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the coolest, most well-contextualized shortcut of the extended Souls family. Even though Dark Souls was full of these long-ass ladders and elevators that connect areas in surprising ways, this might be the first time one of these comically long tunnels actually made perfect logical sense within the game's world.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
This one was neat but no shortcut will ever top this for me:

Dark Souls 1, taking the elevator down from the cathedral and you pop out back at Firelink shrine. The familiar music fading in just cements it. Perfectly closes the loop of venturing off, overcoming the unknown and reemerging in a safe place.

My biggest regret is that no other shortcut in the series has matched that same level of satisfaction since.

Jun 24, 2019
Bloodborne has spectacular level designs. My wow moment has to be the Hunter's Old Workshop. So surreal to see it outside of the dream, old, dusty and the doll lying there "lifeless".

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing a very cool image of how the inter-locking parts of Dark Souls 1 actually fit, was there one done for Bloodborne? I know that's a long shot.

Having trouble visualising where everything is 'in real life'.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I know it's not as popular or as much used (due The One Reborn being an easy boss fight) but I really like the Yahar'gul elevator shortcut.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The fast travel undermines it though.

The shortcuts in Dark Souls are actually meaningful because you don't unlock fast travel until 3/4 through the game.

Khatoz

Oct 27, 2017
The worlds for most of the soul games feel so fleshed out, specially for these type of shortcuts.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have attention grabbing of a gold fish. Too many controls confuses me. With that the Bloodborne shortcuts and.map design are so good that it made me learn the whole thing by heart.

Even when Sekiro has some verticality in it with a little more open loose ends than BB, the paths are incredibly easy to remember.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it as much as some of the more natural connections in Dark Souls (and they were more meaningful shortcuts as well). It's fun and all, but the sheer length of that ladder kind of makes the whole thing feel really contrived just to have a, "Omigosh, you're back at the beginning!" moment.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a neat discovery, but that's about it. Functionally speaking, it's completely irrelevant for the rest of your playthrough. The Dark Souls (1) connections/shortcuts, on the other hand, are both more satisfying (nothing has ever beat the feeling of finding myself back at Firelink Shrine after spending hours struggling in the depths of Blighttown) and useful.

Yeah, more or less.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It blew my mind when I found it.

Contrarily to what is said above, it also unpacks more lore/ story, and ties to in game events, so it's far from "useless".
It's just completely optional and part of the brilliant level design, that the world keeps turning (or ending) even if you do not participate in side events.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
iosefka's clinic is one of those things where missing the experience of it beyond just the start of the game and finding it on later playthroughs makes you feel like you were really deprived of something before

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to know this too because I can't envision how this connection works geographically

While I know Bloodborne's been cracked open somewhat over the years, the lack of a PC port prevents just anybody from really diving in and putting the pieces together (quite literally).

Similar to how the player's view range in an open world might look wide and varied, but landscape outside of the view range is programmed to react accordingly.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Yeah, It's a really cool moment. Though I can't say it's my favorite connect as I much orefered DS1's elevator. It was such a suprise and extremely useful to whole. Not to mention later finding out that it also leads back to Asylum, which leads to the Painted World.
I remember seeing a very cool image of how the inter-locking parts of Dark Souls 1 actually fit, was there one done for Bloodborne? I know that's a long shot.

Having trouble visualising where everything is 'in real life'.
Do you mean the 3d map?
dsmap-1024x519.jpg

If so, none have been made for BB as far as I know.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico