• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Finding this was one of the most exciting moments in the game for me and one of many reasons forbidden woods is my favourite area in Bloodborne.

I can completely understand people saying the Dark Souls shortcuts were more utile but at the end of the day none of them made my eyes as wide or put as big of a smile on my face as that one. The bonus of getting more lore out of it, the summons, and resolving some lingering curiousities I had was more than enough for me.

Dec 8, 2018
While I certainly don't believe it's the best shortcut when it comes to actual shortcuts it's probably one of if not the most WTF inducing ones and I was so freaked out of all the stuff you find inside and the insights ;) it brings.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Undead Parish elevator is still goat though.

Yeah, I was thinking of that one too. In a game full of awesome loop-back shortcuts, that one is just so good.

That said, Iosefka's clinic ranks really high, because unlike most such shortcuts, it actually opens up a new part of the map rather than just providing convenience. It also has a very high "what the fuck?" factor because the areas are so different, otherwise incommunicated, and they feel like they should be literal miles apart. :)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
While I certainly don't believe it's the best shortcut when it comes to actual shortcuts it's probably one of if not the most WTF inducing ones and I was so freaked out of all the stuff you find inside and the insights ;) it brings.
This is why it's unique I think. People keep bringing up shortcuts but I purposely tried to frame it as just a connection and not an actual shortcut because it's never used as one lol.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most memorable moments this gen. Imagine these kind of shortcuts in an open world game by Fromsoftware, Elden Ring!

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I've never really been a fan of that one, compared to the best ones in Dark Souls 1.

Like the classic example in DaS1 is an elevator from a cathedral down to a shrine and cemetery at the bottom of the cliff below. That makes perfect sense in-universe that the clergy and parishioners would have an easy route to the local graveyard or to pray at Firelink.

Iosefka's clinic on the other hand... what's that supposed to be exactly? Someone was exhuming a grave in the clinic and accidentally dug down into the Chalice Dungeons? And they had Laddersmith Gilligan on hand to make 300 feet of ladder? It just doesn't really fit with the world as well.

Plus the Bloodborne shortcuts are all pointless since you can warp to lanterns anyway.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I agree with you.

Bloodborne's shortcuts actually gave me more "whoa" moments than Dark Souls' shortcuts.

Probably a minority opinion, but it is what it is.

Granted I played Dark Souls last in the series, but the long ladder down to fireshrine link didn't really do much for me. Bloodborne and DS3 gave me more "whoa" moments.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've never really been a fan of that one, compared to the best ones in Dark Souls 1.

Like the classic example in DaS1 is an elevator from a cathedral down to a shrine and cemetery at the bottom of the cliff below. That makes perfect sense in-universe that the clergy and parishioners would have an easy route to the local graveyard or to pray at Firelink.

Iosefka's clinic on the other hand... what's that supposed to be exactly? Someone was exhuming a grave in the clinic and accidentally dug down into the Chalice Dungeons? And they had Laddersmith Gilligan on hand to make 300 feet of ladder? It just doesn't really fit with the world as well.

Plus the Bloodborne shortcuts are all pointless since you can warp to lanterns anyway.
Why a Chalice Dungeon when it just leads to the woods 🤔

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This or the ladder under the Hellkite bridge.

The moment you see "kick ladder" and realize you never have to do that fucking firebomb bridge again is so great on a first playthrough.
The most underrated of all shortcuts is the dog-hamster-wheel elevator out of Blighttown.

You've been stuck in that hellhole for probably hours and think you'll have to somehow make your way up through Blighttown, through the whole Depths, and then through Lower Undead Burg when hallelujah you're deposited right back beneath Firelink. Nothing is better than that.

Why a Chalice Dungeon when it just leads to the woods 🤔
The undead giants in there are Pthumerians, and the Pthumerians come from the Chalice Dungeons. There's also some weird ruins in that cave that look Pthumerian and Byrgenwerth originally discovered the Chalice Dungeons beneath the Forbidden Woods.

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty in awe the first time I found it. But on later playthroughs I got to thinking about how it wasn't accessible early on, and I wished that bloodborne was more flexible with progression. I'll always prefer Dark Soul's level design by miles just for this one aspect.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, the Healing Church is obsessed with Chalice Dungeons. That's where they found the Old Blood and Ebrietas.

A common theory about the Forbidden Woods is that it's where the Healing Church was experimenting with "Ashen Blood", since Antidotes are described as a short term cure for the supposed disease (which means it's just poison) and there's a giant poisonous lake there. Redgrave's the Pale Blood Hunt has a good chapter on it.

The hole was also clearly used for dumping bodies; there are a lot of skeletons down there.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I was pretty in awe the first time I found it. But on later playthroughs I got to thinking about how it wasn't accessible early on, and I wished that bloodborne was more flexible with progression. I'll always prefer Dark Soul's level design by miles just for this one aspect.
The combination of pretty linear progression with Souls-like weapon placement is such a bummer.

I always thought it would be cool if you could unlock new starting builds for new games in Bloodborne, since you're currently limited to so few weapons for the first third of the game. Like imagine beating the Orphan unlocked a new starting class that came with the Milkweed rune, Black Sky Eye, and a Kos Parasite.

Yeah I know that's what New Game + is for but, man it's just not the same as a fresh playthrough where you slowly build up your weapons and stats.

I mean, the Healing Church is obsessed with Chalice Dungeons. That's where they found the Old Blood.

A common theory about the Forbidden Woods is that it's where the Healing Church was experimenting with "Ashen Blood", since Antidotes are described as a short term cure for the supposed disease and there's a giant poisonous lake there. Redgrave's the Pale Blood Hunt has a good chapter on it.
Oh 100% the Healing Church is all over the Chalice Dungeons -- it's just the weird way it connects to a freshly exhumed grave via 10,000 ladders that doesn't quite work for me. The Healing Church has had access to the Chalice Dungeons for at least like... 20 years at this point (since they pull Ebrietas out of it prior to founding The Choir and all the Choir orphans are well into adulthood when we meet them). And they're not ones to shy away from building huge ornate elaborate structures to accomplish much more mundane tasks, so what's the point of the rickety ladder tunnel to poison town?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The combination of pretty linear progression with Souls-like weapon placement is such a bummer.

I always thought it would be cool if you could unlock new starting builds for new games in Bloodborne, since you're currently limited to so few weapons for the first third of the game. Like imagine beating the Orphan unlocked a new starting class that came with the Milkweed rune, Black Sky Eye, and a Kos Parasite.

Yeah I know that's what New Game + is for but, man it's just not the same as a fresh playthrough where you slowly build up your weapons and stats.
Yeah, this is one of the most frustrating things about Bloodborne. I would love to be able to start a playthrough with the Beast Claw instead of having to reach fucking Loran.

I'm okay with some weapons being late game like the Moonlight Sword, but so many are locked behind basically beating the entire game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Yeah, this is one of the most frustrating things about Bloodborne. I would love to be able to start a playthrough with the Beast Claw instead of having to reach fucking Loran.

I'm okay with some weapons being late game like the Moonlight Sword, but so many are locked behind basically beating the entire game.
\o/ Everyone give your energy to whomever at SIE signed off on the PC port for Death Stranding. We need PC mods for Bloodborne and we need them three years ago \o/.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
\o/ Everyone give your energy to whomever at SIE signed off on the PC port for Death Stranding. We need PC mods for Bloodborne and we need them three years ago \o/.
\o/\o/\o/

Seriously, Bloodborne is the number one game I can think of that would benefit from a PC port.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh 100% the Healing Church is all over the Chalice Dungeons -- it's just the weird way it connects to a freshly exhumed grave via 10,000 ladders that doesn't quite work for me. The Healing Church has had access to the Chalice Dungeons for at least like... 20 years at this point (since they pull Ebrietas out of it prior to founding The Choir and all the Choir orphans are well into adulthood when we meet them). And they're not ones to shy away from building huge ornate elaborate structures to accomplish much more mundane tasks, so what's the point of the rickety ladder tunnel to poison town?
It's why chalice dungeon progression should have been account wide. It already was independent of New Game Cycle. Would allow one to get plenty of weapons early.

Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
What a moment. Getting to the Forbidden Woods was the moment I realized I was playing a classic. It was my first time playing a FromSoft game so I was having a pretty wild experience, then I got this shortcut and low key lost my shit.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I skipped the cinematic where you drop her down into there from the high up spot so when I got down there I was like "the fuck is this why is it here" lol
Honestly that sounds like it would be even better as an experience.

"what the actual fuck is that thing"

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's up there with the best for me - it connects two areas which feel like they should be miles apart, opens up a completely new area, and provides interesting lore. It's just useless as an actual shortcut due to fast travel.

Though also not technically a shortcut, I'm also partial to DS3's ladder from the depths of the swamp in Farron Keep to the inaccessible side of the broken bridge at the foot of the Lothric High Wall. The bridge is always visible far above you but by the time you find the ladder you've gone through Undead Settlement, the Road of Sacrifices, the Crucifixion Woods and a large part of the swamp so it feels like you've travelled a huge distance.

Sekiro's shortcuts felt like a massive step down in comparison. You just go through a revolving door and teleport from one area to another, with no context given as to how they actually connect (and given the geography of the world I actually don't think it's possible for at least one of the shortcuts to take you where it does).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I was always amazed by the huge door in old yarnham being beyond darkbeast linking the unseen village which up until then seemed like it's own thing only accessible through....weird teleportation shit?

But you know, add me to the chorus if dat parish elevator, peak souls moment, peak video game exploration moment really

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The fast travel undermines it though.

The shortcuts in Dark Souls are actually meaningful because you don't unlock fast travel until 3/4 through the game.
My thoughts exactly.

I LOVE the Iosefka ladder, but all the interconnects in Dark Souls 1 mean so much more to me because you have to hoof it the whole game.

From a lore perspective alone though, Iosefka's ladder is unmatched.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was great, but the only one worth remembering from BB. I prefer the more interconnected world of DS for sure.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I was burned out from the Souls series until last month when I played Bloodborne for the first time.

Bloodborne's level designed help me recapture what I loved about Dark Souls 1. Sekiro while not a Soulsborne game is great as well and I hope Elden Ring continues this

My problem with Dark Souls 3 that it was a hallway with any branching path leading to a dead end. It's my least replayed Souls game.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
It was great, but the only one worth remembering from BB. I prefer the more interconnected world of DS for sure.
There could have been an extra shortcut for defeating Cleric Beast (which would allow you to take a different path through the first parts of the game), but for some reason it was never implemented even though the world is connected except for that one door blocking passage. It's one of the strangest omissions from Bloodborne.

Even still, it wouldn't have been as amazing as how Dark Souls connected its world, but it would have been a nice shortcut.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Church to fire link shrine was a biggest moment but I loved iosefka too

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's up there with the best for me - it connects two areas which feel like they should be miles apart, opens up a completely new area, and provides interesting lore. It's just useless as an actual shortcut due to fast travel.

Though also not technically a shortcut, I'm also partial to DS3's ladder from the depths of the swamp in Farron Keep to the inaccessible side of the broken bridge at the foot of the Lothric High Wall. The bridge is always visible far above you but by the time you find the ladder you've gone through Undead Settlement, the Road of Sacrifices, the Crucifixion Woods and a large part of the swamp so it feels like you've travelled a huge distance.

Sekiro's shortcuts felt like a massive step down in comparison. You just go through a revolving door and teleport from one area to another, with no context given as to how they actually connect (and given the geography of the world I actually don't think it's possible for at least one of the shortcuts to take you where it does).
Yeah that High Wall part was cool. Always nice to reach places you can see earlier.