• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
inb4 (READ OP) gets added in the title

Probably. It's actually a fascinating read, as I've seen some people who found the look of Octopath Traveler slightly off. Here's a technical analysis that shows why's that, and how another game managed to avoid this problem after some trials. But no, the thread will probably talk about anything but the game or the tech behind it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or did he never show how he solved the problem? His last post that I see is:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Still cant wait for this game. It looks amazing.

There are other topics for the drama behind it. Go there.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess Unreal 4 isn't as flexible on handling 2D, point-filtered sprites. Another game, Amid Evil, has similar problems and I'm guessing your only solution is slapping TAA+sharpening on the image and hoping it works. That, and running the game at an ungodly high resolution.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I was setting up art for a banner print the other day that had some FF6 art in it, and I realized how difficult it would be to get the "nearest neighbor" results in a 3D space for a pixel display. This stuff is a fascinating walkthrough of those trade-offs.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably. It's actually a fascinating read, as I've seen some people who found the look of Octopath Traveler slightly off. Here's a technical analysis that shows why's that, and how another game managed to avoid this problem after some trials. But no, the thread will probably talk about anything but the game or the tech behind it.
I was confused at what exactly looked "off" in Octopath Traveler as I couldn't quite put my finger on it. But seeing it pointed out with the "wobbling" pixel art and how it kind of warps - it makes sense now. I still think that game looks gorgeous, but it's a shame there isn't some sort of interpolation used similar to what they came up with.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Am I crazy or did he never show how he solved the problem?

He doesn't go into details, but I assume his preferred solution is the rightmost one in this animated GIF, since all criteria are shown as "green" there:

Personally, I think the 200% bilinear variant (third from the left) looks best, even though it's characterized as "less blurry" rather than "crisp". But then I've never really seen the appeal of super sharp pixel boundaries, rather preferring how pixel graphics look on a shadow mask CRT.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have no idea what he means by all that technical stuff but he is obviously putting a lot of hard work into a game that looks very pretty. It will be my first non AAA game I buy this gen.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some of the technical aspects of this game - which is still the most visually and stylistically interesting game on my radar.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I guess the question is, could the Switch pull off similar enhancements? It's a bandwidth-starved system, and I want to assume the developers looked into this stuff.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have they considered Octopath might use it's antialiasing and texturing for a reason? There sin't just one way to do things.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Quite interesting but reading The Last Night made me think for a second of a release date or a new trailer at least, and now i'm sad lol

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Have they considered Octopath might use it's antialiasing and texturing for a reason? There sin't just one way to do things.
In gif there didn't seem to be any AA and nearest neighbor filtering.
Reason is most likely a lack of production budget or knowledge on how to improve it while keeping the look intact.

Whole reason to discuss such things is to share information and help other developers.

Last edited:

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the general idea of what Octopath was going for visually but it didn't really impress me in the demo.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I am so excited to play the game mainly developed by a gator, arent we all?
I am excited to learn something technical, this does not belong here. It's like talking on DF threads, how good or bad games and developers are. Not sure what so hard to understand. Many "logical smart" (don't know better term, since non-native speaker) people are emotionally idiots, that does not mean that they work, that really has nothing to do with their world views, could not be discussed without derailing. What does it brings to discussion of technical stuff?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Night has an Interesting combination of pixel art & 3D, but the whole look is ruined by the author being an idiot and putting a GamerGate take on feminism in the game.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, it should not. It is thread derailment and that toxic behavior should stay out of it. There are threads already to air your personal grievances.

Blame the developer for his statements, not those who react to them appropriately.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Isn't what he calls an 'issue', just a design choice? I think Square-Enix knows how to accomplish what he is asking for.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

There is no AA, and the texturing was done as it was as a computationally trivial way of retaining the style.

I wonder how expensive duck's implementations are. Might not have been feasible on Switch with the game.

Personally, when I want a point sampled look, I crank up to 16xSSAA. That's the only way I know of completely eliminating point sampled aliasing. And obviously, that's only possible on a super high end PC and even then only in a few games.

Aliasing isn't a valid 'style', but there are reasons you might not be able to escape from it, usually technical (not programmer talent).

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
In gif there didn't seem to be any AA and nearest neighbor filtering.
Jpn devs have literally embraced visible aliasing in the past as evidence of image sharpness, so it's not entirely unlikely Octopath visuals(filtering and all) are intentional, rather than result of some production limitations.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats really interesting, I doubt they will care to fix it but that would make a real difference.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Blame the developer for his statements, not those who react to them appropriately.

His comments that we're looking at right now are about a technical aspect, not his beliefs. If you have issues with his beliefs, make a new thread or pull up an old thread. There's no reason to derail this thread when it's focused on a technical aspect that applies to a game that came out today.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
His comments that we're looking at right now are about a technical aspect, not his beliefs. If you have issues with his beliefs, make a new thread or pull up an old thread. There's no reason to derail this thread when it's focused on a technical aspect that applies to a game that came out today.

Forgetting and/or normalizing his shitty behavior doesn't change much of anything, no matter the technical prowess on display. This is a thread about that very developer, so it isn't a far reach to expect opinions towards him.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Damn, the result is actually incredible.

Controversy aside I can not wait for this game, the style and atmosphere is simply amazing. As for the writer's political stance, ehh let's just say I do not agree with him. I definitely respect his talent and creativity though.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I mean yeah but that's not the biggest problem of Octopath. The color grading, bloom, horrible shadows, and ugly modeling are the problem

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can't ignore his personal beliefs and how he pours those beliefs into his game. This is basically public relations for his game and normalizing his behavior. We're in this position in the world because we've allowed people with abhorrent beliefs and behavior to hide behind talent and skill. That needs to stop.

Allowing him to promote his game but silencing those who would criticize it ignores the reality of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.