• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd marketing but it also annoys me when people draw a line at attack dogs as if that's somehow far worse than killing people and their partners reacting like in the last game.
In context it's going to work fine and be effective I'm sure.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Christ alive.

I mean I'm excited for this game but am a little apprehensive about playing it because it seems so dark.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
The feature is cool. Don't know why they'd market it like that though considering how sensitive every one appears to be these days.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Violence and the endless cycle of revenge... truly the deepest themes humanity creates, finally explored in a video game format...?

*chef's kiss* Masterclass

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
One of the first reveals of this game was horrifically brutal and people sleep.

CRM is sent out informing people that you can kill a doggo and it'll make the owner sad and all of a sudden it's a big deal.

lol

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool way to show that the enmies in the game are more than puppets for the player to kill without remorse.

This game will take a toll on some people/reviewers.

Love it when they make enemies/npcs more human. When they talk about their loved ones when the player is sneaking behind them to kill. I hate how "fun" it is in most games to kill enemies without having to think about your actions.

Leave it to Naughty Dog to make me feel bad to kill enemies in a videogame. Next level stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of frustrating to have a game make you feel bad for participating in a forced gameplay loop.

"Violence is bad, and you're bad for hurting people/things" would be better in an rpg with actual choice.
It can work in linear scripted games with the right narrative, and Spec Ops The Line had it mostly right, aside from the White Phosphorus scene. But when the gameplay loop resolves around making you feel bad for something you have no control over, it's just trying too hard to be deep and sophisticated.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
When they said fun is not the word they use in the office they meant it. This game is engineered to make you feel like shit and they have been open about that intent.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most people are reacting to the idea that you can kill dogs in a game, you can kill dogs in a lot of games, and frankly having the AI react to that dynamically is sort of an interesting gameplay feature. It's the way it's written as a marketing bullet point that is sort of hilariously bad.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like, I get that this game is aiming for "super dark, super gritty", but highlighting that you can kill dogs and upset their owners in any form of marketing is an odd decision, especially considering a fair number of people will squick at that.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I love The Last of Us and I love violent gory content in media. But this feels weird and exploitative. It's kind of tone deaf, like they don't really understand what people are looking forward to in this. It also just kind of makes people who enjoy violent content look like insane people because this is apparently what we "want to hear".

I wish they would slow down on the advertising of the "brutality" of it. We can see it's brutal just by nature of the setting, tone, and trailers/previous game, we don't need you to constantly tell us, it just makes you seem like an edgy kid on the playground touting how hardcore you are.

Edit:
Ah well never mind then, of course it's Gamestop...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It falls in line with them giving every enemy a heartbeat and individual name and identity but I sure as hell don't see this as some that should be advertised as a 'feature'. Dare I say..YIKES

Oct 25, 2017
About the feature itself, it strikes me as a little odd that someone who's trying to find someone and kill them, using their dogs to do so, would just start crying on the spot if you killed the dog.

I mean, I love my pet, I cried when I lost pets in the past, but I sure as hell wouldn't put them in harm's way and then act as a victim. Are we just ambushing innocent settlements and killing dogs or something like that?

Bizarre way of "humanizing" enemies. People today put dogs to fight each other to death for "entertainment" and bet money on it. I have a really hard time thinking that a post apocalyptic killer with a dog trained to hunt down people would just fall in tears right away. Just a very hyperbolic reaction for a cheap emotional punch.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
So is this confirmed in the game for sure?

I hope not.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the message here that if you kill the dogs their owner will react so you're supposed to feel bad or something?

The new feature is actually the dogs itself since in the first game the enemies were all humans.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure I read about this like a year ago? Either way, It sounds uncomfortable and disturbing but that's clearly a large part of the story they are trying to tell so let them. It's hypocritical to get upset about this but are totally okay with other potentially worse displays of violence.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'd say that's a bit different since the article is highlighting stuff from that game will this email is promoting it as a feature. That being said has anyone else received this email? Because is it a bit odd if we're only hearing this from one place.

I didn't and have it pre ordered...

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
One of the first reveals of this game was horrifically brutal and people sleep.

CRM is sent out informing people that you can kill a doggo and it'll make the owner sad and all of a sudden it's a big deal.

lol

Advertising it with a bullet point in a promotional email is weird as fuck.
It's 90% not about the inclusion in the game, but about choosing to advertise this, of all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.