• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
I made the mistake of looking at the live YouTube chat during this trailer, and I'm shocked and appalled at what was in it. Genuinely thought we were better than this. More than half during the kissing scene were 'noooo,' 'ewwww,' 'this is pandering!!' Or vomit emojis. Every now and then there was an 'aww,' that's it. Even the comment section for the Sony conference has comments like 'f gays' and they have more likes than the surrounding comments that try to support the kissing scene or argue against the blatant homophobia. Ngl this has kind of been a wake up call to how horrific the gaming community still is.

You're taking stream chat way too seriously. No doubt, there's legitimate bigotry in there, but for the most part, people just use it as an outlet to type whatever nonsense comes into their brains, unfiltered. Stream chats are literally indicative of nothing, especially in a stream with that many viewers.

It's best to just ignore stream chat completely, unless you enjoy the corresponding spazzing out it does at hype moments (like I do).

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying they're not amazed by this technical masterpiece...lol

I can't wait to see more of this game.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
The Last of Us is probably still my favorite game of all time, but man if they didn't make me have zero desire to buy or play this follow up. Yes, Last of Us was violent, but it was the story between Joel and Ellie that clearly made that game something special (gameplay wasn't necessarily anything that groundbreaking or anything). Based on their last two trailers it is pretty clear that this one is just really dark and over the top gory violent to the point that I could care less. It may be impressive animation, but anybody can go for the shock value of violence. I would much prefer some really interesting gameplay innovations than this approach. The world is depressing enough at times, don't really need that crap when trying to enjoy video games. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is so much more interesting looking to me, and my gosh that gameplay looks incredible and varied compared to zoom in cinematic gore kills from a hateful Ellie that has "grown up". Really disappointed given that this was the main Playstation game I was interested in seeing last night.

They're just showing off graphics and gameplay.

They cant spoil the intricate human moments of the story.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is there a game where the main character is a gay man? Or a straight woman? When there is a romance in the game that you can't avoid?
The few games I played as a woman, the girl was either lesbian, (LoU, Life is Strange) or having no romances (Tomb Raider, Horizon Zero Dawn).
Jodie in Beyond. You can avoid it though. Kara in Detroit has none, but she is a mother which is awesome in its own right

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a pretty common stereotype. "Masculine" (either in appearance or personality) women aren't typically depicted as interested in men.

Is there a game where the main character is a gay man? Or a straight woman? When there is a romance in the game that you can't avoid?
The few games I played as a woman, the girl was either lesbian, (LoU, Life is Strange) or having no romances (Tomb Raider, Horizon Zero Dawn).

Very, very few.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
So, is the theory of that woman of the Paris Game Week trailer being Anna, Ellie's mother, dead now?

Because it seems this cult thing is something from the current world.

Good point. I was under the impression that the Anna part was in the past.

Unless, the cult hid during Part I, and is making a resurgence now.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not a fan of Naughty Dog's games but I know this lesbian relationship is going to piss off a certain crowd (it looks like people are already mad about it) and I am 100% here for all the discomfort.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're taking stream chat way too seriously. No doubt, there's legitimate bigotry in there, but for the most part, people just use it as an outlet to type whatever nonsense comes into their brains, unfiltered. Stream chats are literally indicative of nothing, especially in a stream with that many viewers.

It's best to just ignore stream chat completely, unless you enjoy the corresponding spazzing out it does at hype moments (like I do).

Pretty sure people who don't harbour bigoted thoughts don't spend their time spewing bigoted one liners on stream chats.

It's a pretty common stereotype. "Masculine" (either in appearance or personality) women aren't typically depicted as interested in men.

Ellie's isn't in any way masculine. She's a badass, that's not the same.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I don't have an issue with brutality being portrayed in media, but I think we're quick to acclimate to elevated violence. Ellie's here realistically hacking people's neck through with a machete. Where do we go from there? It loses shock value and becomes background noise after a couple of times.

That said, the visuals were great as expected. Naughty Dog continues to express personality like no other studio can, and explores the spirit of these characters with typical nonpareil skill.

I can't complain, I hope in that kind of situation you dont miss any shot, any bow action or anything or it's death. Look in places where the misery already exist in the World like in Favelas, y'oull see that there is only no violence or violence, there is not in between situations. WHen you have nothing and you want to survive, it's that kind of violence that allows you to do it, Ellie and Joel are no different, if they still alive its because they became as bad as other people did, the only difference is that you are playing those characters and you follow them from the start.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So how are we expecting the game to actually play? I hope tlou2 does away with wall hacks and introduces an actually interesting gameplay mechanic.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Killing Joel between games would be a mistake, I doubt they will kill him off like that or even early on in the game.

I think they would want to subvert expectations instead of following old tropes. I could easily see Ellie and Joel being kept apart for the majority of the game though. Switching perspectives now and then.

Oct 27, 2017
It's so funny how so many of you suddenly have an issue with violence in games. What you really mean is you have an issue with how honestly presented the violence is in this game. It's ugly, brutal, low colour, unpleasant and swift. Its much more realistic basically, it's supposed to be unsettling.

The whole trailer looks incredible.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
NTjNdqX.gif

Vomit inducing..

/s

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they're both 2019 games, I'm guessing/hoping both TLOU2 and GoT get updated versions for PS5

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't even know what to say. You're saying that because you only know stereotype lesbians. What you're saying sounds really dumb.

I don't think that's the point he's trying to make.

Ellie being lesbian is fine. Lesbians aren't over-represented for sure, and honestly would absolutely need to be represented past the stereotype butch lesbian model of gruff badass with a foul mouth. And Ellie will be a good vehicle for that because despite being a badass and all she's a very nuanced, textured character.
I'm super glad ND is going pedal to the metal with this.

But at the same time I can absolutely see heterosexual women feeling like they drew the short end of the stick. The industry has basically leapfrogged them, and you can count the games that allow you to play a female protagonist that isn't either fundamentally a-sexual or a lesbian on one hand.

I think part of the problem depends on the fact that most game developers are male and guy tend to think lesbian are somehow more relatable than straight women. A lesbian is (supposedly) easier to write because you can try and fall back on things you know, and even if you screw up, aren't they kind of weirdos anyways? It's as if being into men undermined the heroic value of the character, because if she's the "strong one" in the couple than the man is necessarily a "wimp". Make her lesbian, and you can give her a damsel in distress, and basically write her as a guy!
It's not pretty but it's not entirely wrong. It's not an issue with TLOU (ND is definitely above suspicion) but with the medium at large.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I Want JOE.

Anyway,looks badass. People complaining about violence. Well, what do you expect from a post-apocalyptic world where any day could be your last day?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Watched the trailer for the second time and only noticed now that there was an icon for the arrow stuck in your shoulder. I looked at the life meter and nothing happened, I guess you'll start to lose life if even more time passes? Other than that I love how 'real' the pickups seem, like if Ellie picks up arrows you see every one getting picked up and put in the backpack.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
It looks great!! I just wish we had something a little less scripted. I loved the sandboxy gameplay of the original and it seems they are improving that but i want to see more.

Also, we need to see more Joel!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really surprised to hear all the talk about sexuality and not the image quality. I was fully expecting to hear comparisons to the original TLoU gameplay reveal with the brutal shotgun execution. The disparity between the reveal / release in image quality was noticeable, but the AI had the biggest diminishment. The enemy interaction was just simply not like what we saw.

I'm hoping this sequel can provide the dynamic variety we've seen in both gameplay reveals.... And quite frankly, I hope they provide more options to spare the enemies' lives by simply threatening them and allowing them to escape.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was initially a bit down on Ellie's new model because she doesn't really look like the natural evolution of the previous one (she looks a lot more like A.J. than the younger version) but she's been growing on me and one thing I find absolutely fantastic is how they managed to create a very realistic model without pretty-fing her.

She's not a terribly attractive girl. Definitely not your bombshell videogame lead. Not a Lara Croft. Won't win any videogame beauty pageant. It looks like.. a character. A human being.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was initially a bit down on Ellie's new model because she doesn't really look like the natural evolution of the previous one (she looks a lot more like A.J. than the younger version) but she's been growing on me and one thing I find absolutely fantastic is how they managed to create a very realistic model without pretty-fing her.

She's not a terribly attractive girl. Definitely not your bombshell videogame lead. Not a Lara Croft. Won't win any videogame beauty pageant. It looks like.. a character. A human being.
Ehh, she is still very pretty, but you are right 'she looks real' is the best way to put it.

Liked the trailer a lot, gameplay looks amazing.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

I don't want to stray too far off topic but off the top of my head:

Nier Automata: 2B is only shown to be attracted to a male character

RE Revelations 2: Claire Redfield is implied to be in a relationship with a male coworker.

AC Syndicate: Evie is straight.

Many fighting game female characters like Kitana and Sonya blade are in hetero relationships in story mode.

Also I think the directors of Life is Strange said that Max is not confirmed to be queer, as they feel her sexuality is up to the player.

I admit that games with female leads are generally not giving their female leads male love interests as often as their male counterparts, but that does not mean their is an overabundance of lesbian and bi female leads either. If anything, it shows that there should be more games with female leads with a range of preferences.

Ellie is a fairly rare cannon gay lead, and that is awesome. I can't wait to see her story and this trailer was really exciting. I truly can't wait to play this when it comes out.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I get what folks are saying and yeah Ellie is kinda on the masculine side of the spectrum
That said, you'd have to be in the world they are living in. All the women are super tough

I don't think that's the point he's trying to make.

Ellie being lesbian is fine. Lesbians aren't over-represented for sure, and honestly would absolutely need to be represented past the stereotype butch lesbian model of gruff badass with a foul mouth. And Ellie will be a good vehicle for that because despite being a badass and all she's a very nuanced, textured character.
I'm super glad ND is going pedal to the metal with this.

But at the same time I can absolutely see heterosexual women feeling like they drew the short end of the stick. The industry has basically leapfrogged them, and you can count the games that allow you to play a female protagonist that isn't either fundamentally a-sexual or a lesbian on one hand.

I think part of the problem depends on the fact that most game developers are male and guy tend to think lesbian are somehow more relatable than straight women. A lesbian is (supposedly) easier to write because you can try and fall back on things you know, and even if you screw up, aren't they kind of weirdos anyways? It's as if being into men undermined the heroic value of the character, because if she's the "strong one" in the couple than the man is necessarily a "wimp". Make her lesbian, and you can give her a damsel in distress, and basically write her as a guy!
It's not pretty but it's not entirely wrong. It's not an issue with TLOU (ND is definitely above suspicion) but with the medium at large.

I do agree with you. There is a tendency where a writer basically tricks themselves into appearing progressive by writing a very masculine female character to the point of them being lesbian (you know so it's girl on girl and her partner is a typical damsel?). It's a trope and many have said it's an old fashioned way to write strong women since they just end up writing a man with breasts and a vagina. Having a female character be strong but also maintain a sense of femininity would be far more notable. Vice versa too, lets see some softer edges on the hard dudes. Kratos in the new GoW comes close but doesn't get there.

But then we have only seen the hateful/angry side of Ellie so far

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2.4 million views over night? WOW man this game is going to be MASSIVE!
Lol at anyone thinking this is a ps5 title. you guys dont know Naughty Dog at all!

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I do agree with you. There is a tendency where a writer basically tricks themselves into appearing progressive by writing a very masculine female character to the point of them being lesbian. It's a trope and many have said it's an old fashioned way to write strong women since they just end up writing a man with breasts and a vagina. Having a female character be strong but also maintain a sense of femininity would be far more notable. Vice versa too, lets see some softer edges on the hard dudes. Kratos in the new GoW comes close but doesn't get there.

But then we have only seen the hateful/angry side of Ellie so far

Kratos isn't even in the same galaxy as TloU characters.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Watched the trailer for the second time and only noticed now that there was an icon for the arrow stuck in your shoulder. I looked at the life meter and nothing happened, I guess you'll start to lose life if even more time passes? Other than that I love how 'real' the pickups seem, like if Ellie picks up arrows you see every one getting picked up and put in the backpack.
Noticed it too you probably will lose life but they probably didn't have it activated in the demo. I'm guessing it will work like the crossbow in the mp of the original. Maybe it's just a general effect of bows and arrows now and helps differentiate them more.

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
Seeing Ellie as a grown adult is just weird to me, with her being so much taller now, with those super long arms.

I love that she still calls enemies "FUCKER!" when she messes them up

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I have zero issue with the violence in the game. I'm an adult, it's a game, it's fake -- no harm no foul.

My main gripe is that I can't buy into any of it, and this applies to Tomb Raider and Uncharted as well. They play their homicidal exercises so straight faced that it becomes absolutely insulting to my intelligence. It's cringe. Not unlike fan service in a well made fighting game.

There is no narrative that makes sense of the fact Ellie, or Drake, or Lara will have killed 2000 people by the time the credits roll. This isn't Max Payne. This isn't Bulletstorm. This isn't Doom.

Wake me up when TLOU is truly about stealth, and doing absolutely everything in your power to avoid contact. When you only have a handful of bullets to last hours of gameplay. Where one or two hits will instantly kill you. Where the adversaries are nothing more than blind, deaf and dumb fodder.