• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I'm really surprised to hear all the talk about sexuality and not the image quality. I was fully expecting to hear comparisons to the original TLoU gameplay reveal with the brutal shotgun execution. The disparity between the reveal / release in image quality was noticeable, but the AI had the biggest diminishment. The enemy interaction was just simply not like what we saw.

I'm hoping this sequel can provide the dynamic variety we've seen in both gameplay reveals.... And quite frankly, I hope they provide more options to spare the enemies' lives by simply threatening them and allowing them to escape.

At minimum we can see in the gameplay side :

- camera improvments (more cinematic/flow like god of war)
- dodgs (to strikes back in a melee combo like we used too in the Uncharted series)
- evoidance (new gameplay mechanics that allow a more natural flow and the player to escape from his enemies)
- more ways to escape (under vehicules, climbing, in between furniture escape, vegetation, a lot of different roads)
- more craftman ship (with the bow too)
- IA improvment (integrating new mecanics is demanding)

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I meant in terms of big, angry gruff dudes showing softer or even nurturing sides
Rarely are male characters allowed to be nurturing or caring beyond a sexual love for a woman or being A TOTAL BRO with his friends or siblings

True, but Kratos isn't a very good example here. His furthest nurturing moments are basically him not being a total ass to his son.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the trailer for the second time and only noticed now that there was an icon for the arrow stuck in your shoulder. I looked at the life meter and nothing happened, I guess you'll start to lose life if even more time passes? Other than that I love how 'real' the pickups seem, like if Ellie picks up arrows you see every one getting picked up and put in the backpack.

i didn't even notice that icon, that's awesome. Some kind of bleeding effect for certain wound types would be really cool, and could force the player to have to retreat to heal themselves before they normally would have.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lesbians are underrepresented like crazy in pretty much every medium (including gaming) and we actually get it in this huge AAA game. That should be celebrated and embraced. This argument of "She should have been straight because..." is so dumb.

Nov 30, 2017
I dont really care about Ellie sexual orientation when the clickers are coming for me.

I couldn't believe the fluidity of it all though. Ellie smashing that guy in the face with a bottle on the run, ellie cocking the hammer as the woman was going to look under the car, the use of environment.

Felt like I was playing TLOU again and that's a great thing.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
True, but Kratos isn't a very good example here. His furthest nurturing moments are basically him not being a total ass to his son.

Correct, which is why I said he never gets there.
We need a male Ellen Ripley who plays both mom and dad to a child character
One part bedtime stories and one part GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH!

EDIT:

Hmm.. Sargent Terry from Brooklyn 99 is like this BUT he's a comedic character

Lesbians are underrepresented like crazy in pretty much every medium (including gaming) and we actually get it in this huge AAA game. That should be celebrated and embraced. This argument of "She should have been straight because..." is so dumb.

I don't want her to be straight.
But I would want her to be less of a stereotype of lesbians
That said, she's basically female Joel here

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have zero issue with the violence in the game. I'm an adult, it's a game, it's fake -- no harm no foul.

My main gripe is that I can't buy into any of it, and this applies to Tomb Raider and Uncharted as well. They play their homicidal exercises so straight faced that it becomes absolutely insulting to my intelligence. It's cringe. Not unlike fan service in a well made fighting game.

There is no narrative that makes sense of the fact Ellie, or Drake, or Lara will have killed 2000 people by the time the credits roll. This isn't Max Payne. This isn't Bulletstorm. This isn't Doom.

Wake me up when TLOU is truly about stealth, and doing absolutely everything in your power to avoid contact. When you only have a handful of bullets to last hours of gameplay. Where one or two hits will instantly kill you. Where the adversaries are nothing more than blind, deaf and dumb fodder.

First you gotta show me a single video game that even remotely comes close to what you described there and then somehow rationalize why a multimillion selling franchise from Naughty Dog should be the title to take such immense risks.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have zero issue with the violence in the game. I'm an adult, it's a game, it's fake -- no harm no foul.

My main gripe is that I can't buy into any of it, and this applies to Tomb Raider and Uncharted as well. They play their homicidal exercises so straight faced that it becomes absolutely insulting to my intelligence. It's cringe. Not unlike fan service in a well made fighting game.

There is no narrative that makes sense of the fact Ellie, or Drake, or Lara will have killed 2000 people by the time the credits roll. This isn't Max Payne. This isn't Bulletstorm. This isn't Doom.

Wake me up when TLOU is truly about stealth, and doing absolutely everything in your power to avoid contact. When you only have a handful of bullets to last hours of gameplay. Where one or two hits will instantly kill you. Where the adversaries are nothing more than blind, deaf and dumb fodder.
I'm guessing you never played the original on Survivor or Grounded difficulty

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always love when a very small minority says shit like that. All you can do is laugh.
I know I'm in the minority on that one. I don't care. I very strongly preferred the gameplay in U1-U3 to U4. (Edit: I also really liked the gameplay in the TLOU. I'm just hoping for no U4-like changes to the pacing and play).

Glad you enjoyed it though. Different people, different preferences.

eightg4

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France

In TLoU you could avoid killing most of people and walkers like mgs. What's the point to complain about this narrative "issue" ? I dont understand, the fun comes from the narrative I got it, but realisme is not allways a good path to a fun / good game.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

If I remember, you can avoid a lot of violence in LoU, through stealth

I get where you are coming from. It was fine in LoU1 as it was a contained story, so i could buy that joel was stuck on this adventure of survival

But in a sequel, that survival and violence can be taken for granted, because its now a norm that ellie kills hundreds.

But assuming i can stealth past a lot of the enemies, the body count can still ultimately feel justified, because you can do a playthrough where Ellie's killing is minimal

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People complaining about gore in The Last of Us? Wtf? Also, it's not as if that's going to be 100% of the gameplay.

zoltan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DfdF5tnWAAEgrt7
DfdF5tlW4AE81EX
goddammit, she learned nothing, where is the scope Ellie?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about gore in The Last of Us? Wtf? Also, it's not as if that's going to be 100% of the gameplay.

100% the best thing about the series, since it doesn't provide any positive feedback for killing things and in turn I tried to avoid it as much as I could.

The antithesis to "Stealth Kill: 40 XP!"

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey did anyone notice that it looks like Naughty Dog is using the same tech for the foliage that EA's uses for the Star Wars Battlefront games? Its that scanning tech i remember them using from the first SWB1 game. that forrest scene look incredible man! Wooo i cant wait for this game.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know is Joel is still alive? At the first of the trailer they talk about an "old man" but I don't know if that's Joel or not.

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also love how these characters just look like normal people. I always had an issue with things like Nathan Drake's perfect jawline or Lara Croft's pout. For a game that is grounded in reality, it's nice that the people here look normal like the other girl's nose bridge or Ellie's high forehead.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I wish more games followed that path.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The only thing I can recommend in that case is the old Rainbow Six games where you literally die in like 2 bullets and your character has permanent death. Other than maybe some obscure indie, I can't think of anything else that does that however I think the violence in The Last of Us 2 can be defended. It's not pointless and serves to demonstrate how messed up this story is but also how maybe these characters are not the heroes you think they are.

The violence Joel exhibited in the first game might be called gratuitous by some, especially during the interrogation scene but it certainly told us something about him and the world.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Ellie being lesbian is fine. Lesbians aren't over-represented for sure, and honestly would absolutely need to be represented past the stereotype butch lesbian model of gruff badass with a foul mouth. And Ellie will be a good vehicle for that because despite being a badass and all she's a very nuanced, textured character.
I'm super glad ND is going pedal to the metal with this.
You know who exactly needs more representation? Butch lesbians. Yes, we already fucking know that not all lesbians are butches, but they DO exist and it's a right shame that they haven't been any significant portrayals in the media outside of your usual femme or occasional-tomboy lesbian / queer woman. As part of the LGBT community, it certainly feels like butches are shafted most of the time because of the need to appease to the straight male gaze AND audience. It's infuriating, but, as a queer woman, I just take what I can get.

I'm extremely happy about the fact that Ellie is represented as a soft butch lesbian. It's a fucking achievement in an industry that panders too often to the straight male gaze, especially in regards to representation of lesbians and bisexuals. The LGBT community will just let you know when a 'stereotype' is harmful (and oh how we do); in the meantime we'll be just right here celebrating Ellie's gloriously super gay, button-down, flannel-wearing, tattooed ass. I wish she completed the look by wearing Doc Martens, but anyway.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
You know, I'm curious. Just for fun. How many of you killed the doctors that were in the operating room w/ Ellie in TLOU?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.

I was gonna disagree and bring up film. But you're probably right. I'm thinking its gay men that get the Lion's share of homosexual representation in Hollywood, where as Lesbians are mostly relegated to the margins (or at most, get a once in a blue moon bone thrown there way with arthouse indie stuff).

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

I too would like this game. I remember how disappointing it was after the opening scene of the first game to see that the rest of the game was gonna play out with murders aplenty. I loved running through the chaos and that the second you get cornered by someone with a weapon it goes predictably horrible.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know is Joel is still alive? At the first of the trailer they talk about an "old man" but I don't know if that's Joel or not.
It'd be a really shitty hair and switch if he ends up being dead. It also deflates their relationship to handle it that way.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing you never actually played U4, let alone Lost Legacy

I played UC4 fully, worst UC game. It tried to be TLOU when UC is nothing like TLOU. I recently got Lost Legacy, I had to put it down after Chloe decided to glitch through a rock and the game decided to save inside the rock such that I can't escape.

What genre is that? The Naughty Dog genre? MGSV smokes them both as third-person shooters and stealth games.

Exactly.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

They tone it down a lot more compare to the past .
Don't think you had to kill that much people in UC4 or TLL.
Still don't think they will ever make a pure stealth game.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The showing was really damn strong, I want Joel tho, Druckmann better ain't killed him that rascal.

Me too. I loved Joel and loved playing as someone so immensely powerful. I like Ellie's brutality but still want to smash things with Joel's fists and choke people out. With the new animations, it would be a fun contrast to ellie's style

I hope we get to play him in a DLC. I am curious what his role will be. I can see him flat out being a background character with no real role this game.

Also, I love that ellie comes off mental. She seems like she's spiralling into chaos, and her youth/emotions are opposite to Joel's experiences, so ultimately, Im curious what will become of ellie for going down a warpath

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017

In the Last of Us the violence and even the "homicidal" traits are very coherent in my view.

In a world like The Last of Us, people who are unable to kill other people simply have no agency - they're either dead or abused by the authoritharian government. The only way you can survive is to give your freedom to the government, or learn how to defend yourself from the human and inhuman threats of that world.

The first game had Ellie learning those things, specially in the David scene, which was clearly traumatizing to her and a watersheding point. She was not the same at that moment and learned how tough and cruel you must be to survive in that world.

So yeah, it's a pretty violent place, but it's truly justifiable in my view.

Even the game ending is a nod to that in my view. I do believe that Ellie thinks that Joel is lying, but she kind of accepts that lie, because she can't really cope with living without Joel anymore at that point, he's vital to her own survival, aside of how cruel his behavior is. It's like she is accepting the cruelty of living and surviving in such a manner.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will play with both,half the game with Ellie and the other half with Joel,or mixed gameplays,we will have the agility and weak Ellie,slow and brutal Joel,or mixed like the classic Resident Evil.Trailer has already 2,4M views,and some folks think Spiderman will sell more rs.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
If I remember, you can avoid a lot of violence in LoU, through stealth

I get where you are coming from. It was fine in LoU1 as it was a contained story, so i could buy that joel was stuck on this adventure of survival

But in a sequel, that survival and violence can be taken for granted, because its now a norm that ellie kills hundreds.

But assuming i can stealth past a lot of the enemies, the body count can still ultimately feel justified, because you can do a playthrough where Ellie's killing is minimal

Right, I absolutely agree in regards to how WE have the option to choose HOW to play. But then I watch the gameplay loop and the problem of horrible AI still exists, so I feel like I'm not earning any of it. I counted a few times where Ellie made a loud noise or came in plain sight of the baddies, and...nothing.

I'm being hard on it, I know, and I should just drop out of the conversation after this since I'm admittedly not of fan of it, but I'm hoping and voicing that one day we see ND lean harder that way in future installments.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
RE Revelations 2: Claire Redfield is implied to be in a relationship with a male coworker.

Now that you mention Resident Evil, I've just realised there's probably more straight playable women in that ssries than any other. Like I can think of 6 off the top of my head. I can't even thinknof 6 definitely straight female protagists in any other game. And the flagship main male character Chris is hinted at being gay more than a few times (though that may be wishful thinking.

But I don't think that the lack of straight female protagonists is a negative towards this game. There may be an aspect of lesbians supposedly be easier to relate to for the writer, burt that still doesn't take away from the fact that marketing is very mich pushing the Lesbian angle front and centre like no other tripple A game has.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sold on this game yet. A major part of why I loved TLoU was the dynamics between characters. This so far just seems to be your standard violence/torture porn. I don't like it. Player characters going crazy just for the sake of being violent are not who I want to play, at least not in a dark semi-realistic setting (I am ok with Bulletstorm, DNF, Borderlands or Rage).

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, these bad guys either kill her mom, joel or that girl she is dancing with and that is why she is going to "kill every last one of them". Thats the theory right?

Bird

Dec 7, 2017
Florida
You know who exactly needs more representation? Butch lesbians. Yes, we already fucking know that not all lesbians are butches, but they DO exist and it's a right shame that they haven't been any significant portrayals in the media outside of your usual femme or occasional-tomboy lesbian / queer woman. As part of the LGBT community, it certainly feels like butches are shafted most of the time because of the need to appease to the straight male gaze AND audience. It's infuriating, but, as a queer woman, I just take what I can get.

I'm extremely happy about the fact that Ellie is represented as a soft butch lesbian. It's a fucking achievement in an industry that panders too often to the straight male gaze, especially in regards to representation of lesbians and bisexuals. The LGBT community will just let you know when a 'stereotype' is harmful (and oh how we do); in the meantime we'll be just right here celebrating Ellie's gloriously super gay, button-down, flannel-wearing, tattooed ass. I wish she completed the look by wearing Doc Martens, but anyway.

I'm not a fan of "this" quoteposts so just imagine I left a billion heart emojis for this post