• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
This makes me think, how close to release did they finished mo-cap for the first one ?
I remember Neil tweeting about them doing their last day but I can't seem to find the tweet.

Oct 27, 2017

Good to see. This should tell us something about the release date when they finish motion capture. On Uncharted 4, they finished mocap around October of 2015 and the game released in May of 2016.

So, you are probably looking at this game releasing about 7-8 months after we hear that capture has been finished.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me think, how close to release did they finished mo-cap for the first one ?
I remember Neil tweeting about them doing their last day but I can't seem to find the tweet.

They finished motion capture for the original in December 2012. So 6 months after that the game was released. Although an important thing to keep in mind is that their development technique has changed that speeds things up. Most notably that they no longer do all the facial animations by hand like they did for the original. Now that's captured along with the general character motion and the animators tighten it up if needed.

Dec 28, 2017
I think they spoiler some parts of the game with these photos. I guess Ellie falls in love with her and sometimes falling in love can get Joel kill😂😂😂. Don't ban me for this.

Apr 27, 2018
I hope TLOU Part II comes out in 2019.

Hope this one will be as good as the first one! Was a huge fan of the first game.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
stmnpmo0pq221.jpg

Cool stuff.

DWMnLa5U0AAPL7A-555x329.jpg

Nothing new to add but that dog looks adorable.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Yo.. why would they bother mocking a 12 string guitar, specifically? We're in for a treat boys!

...Yes, I am aware that makes it sound like I am one of the canines.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Here's a question. Did they use dog actors for the first game? There were a few dogs in the quarantine zone. Also, I recall horses and giraffes in that game too.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Joel is a part of the story, he's going to play a minor role. This is Ellie's show, no doubt about that.

Has it been confirmed that the narrative is going to be constructed like The Godfather II (I.e. parallel narrative timeline hopping)?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Joel is a part of the story, he's going to play a minor role. This is Ellie's show, no doubt about that.

Has it been confirmed that the narrative is going to be constructed like The Godfather II (I.e. parallel narrative timeline hopping)?

Neil has said that TLoU is a story about Joel and Ellie (it's why they're calling it Part II, since it's a direct continuation of the first), so I don't see him getting relegated to a minor role. We got to know a lot about Joel in the first game since the game was primarily told through his perspective. Now we'll get that with Ellie.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for this game! I hope joel gets a decent size role in this game and hopefully they'll make this into a trilogy of games.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I am really hyped for the story of part 2 but I hope they don't forget that it's mainly a game, not a movie, so they need to work hard on improving the gameplay and controls of the game. Controls and gameplay of TLOU1 were excellent but that was mostly Bruce Straley's job.

I really didn't like the controls of UC4, mostly because the camera was awful (I couldn't play the MP because of the unresponsive camera). How were the controls and camera of The lost legacy ?

BTW if they kill Joel I am out.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Joel is 100% dead, right? He has to be.

Two timelines: Current timeline will have Ellie ripping throats and taking revenge (second part of the gameplay trailer), and we will see what that revenge is in the past timeline (first half of the gameplay trailer). We will see Joel in the past timeline but his death could be what sets Ellie on the path for revenge.

Also, this theory is so simple and predictable, I would expect NG to drop a hot twist or two in the mix.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Joel is 100% dead, right? He has to be.

Two timelines: Current timeline will have Ellie ripping throats and taking revenge (second part of the gameplay trailer), and we will see what that revenge is in the past timeline (first half of the gameplay trailer). We will see Joel in the past timeline but his death could be what sets Ellie on the path for revenge.

Also, this theory is so simple and predictable, I would expect NG to drop a hot twist or two in the mix.
I mean the first game had a relatively predictable plot. It's the characters and the acting that makes it so freaking special. So I think even if we've predicted some story beats, the story will still dazzle. Although, Neil lies about Ellie being playable in the first game so I do agree we could see some curveballs.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Dina won't be fridged for character motivation, and it's unlikely she'll be written as a damsel in distress, so she's probably a key villain.

My wild guess would be Ellie's mom does a lot of damage to that cult, and Dina's father is a prominent member of it. Dina ends up tracking down Ellie to Tommy and Maria's sanctuary, and gains her confidence. Maybe Ellie is distracted from guard duty and the cult kills a ton of people. Ellie vows revenge, thinks Dina is dead, but learns late (~70%) of the way into the game that it was a betrayal. Things progress, Ellie decides not to kill Dina, 'Oh, the cycle of hatred, it turns out you are the Last of Us too', roll credits.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dina won't be fridged for character motivation, and it's unlikely she'll be written as a damsel in distress, so she's probably a key villain.

My wild guess would be Ellie's mom does a lot of damage to that cult, and Dina's father is a prominent member of it. Dina ends up tracking down Ellie to Tommy and Maria's sanctuary, and gains her confidence. Maybe Ellie is distracted from guard duty and the cult kills a ton of people. Ellie vows revenge, thinks Dina is dead, but learns late (~70%) of the way into the game that it was a betrayal. Things progress, Ellie decides not to kill Dina, 'Oh, the cycle of hatred, it turns out you are the Last of Us too', roll credits.

I am glad you are not writing it

No offense

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I still think the mom stuff is a red herring and the events of hammer girl run basically parallel to Ellie's time line.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017

I've been thinking similarly. It's completely plausible.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This is potentially a big one. Merle Dandridge made a New Years post a few days ago with a bunch of photos and one is her in a motion capture suit in what appears to be Naughty Dog's studio

merledandridge_471813saccb.jpg

Of course with all the speculation of the mystery woman being Ellie's mom that would obviously lead you to believe that she was doing work for Part II and reprising her role as Marlene. Then again, ND likes working with her so it's also possible that she's portraying another character.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This is potentially a big one. Merle Dandridge made a New Years post a few days ago with a bunch of photos and one is her in a motion capture suit in what appears to be Naughty Dog's studio

merledandridge_471813saccb.jpg

Of course with all the speculation of the mystery woman being Ellie's mom that would obviously lead you to believe that she was doing work for Part II and reprising her role as Marlene. Then again, ND likes working with her so it's also possible that she's portraying another character.
Yeah this could be Marlene or could be anybody. Naughty Dog sticks with their actors. She played two different characters in Uncharted 4 IIRC (and, of course, the way every nerd first tried to program phonemes in facial animation, Alyx Vance).

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
6db18xc7of821rzdb8.jpg

This was in a series a comments about most anticipated 2019 games. She said it was odd that Part II wasn't there and when someone said that it hasn't been confirmed yet that was her reply. It could be just a case where she was misinformed or she said something that she shouldn't have.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Gustavo: ...so I know you now that one, it was 'The Path'. And little bit of The Last of Us in a different version. And a little bit of The Last of Us 2...which is coming very soon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thelastofus/comments/ajt5z3/gustavo_santaolalla_the_last_of_us_soundtrack/
People have different interpretations of what "soon" means, and this is no indication the The Last of Us Part II is anywhere near ready to release. "Very soon" could be within 8 months or within 12 months, from the perspective of a musician like Gustavo. It adds confidence in my mind though, that a 2019 release is planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.