• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CellarDoor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crash Bandicoot is the real star of the game.

He's being hunted literally for food, and is the last of his kind.

He teams up with Ellie to take down the zombob enemies and the real villains, humans. Their love blossoms. They get it on.

It's gonna be called The Last of Us: The Shape of a Bandicoot.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's not a straight rip from I am legend. They are already have that with Ellie being immune, so having the dog being infected by like another zombie dog would be kind of lame.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Not that this is necessarily a surprise, but it's in a playable state

Anthony is an environment artist at ND.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Errr so Annie Wersching (Tess) has been doing Mocap!!

DCz6bEI.png

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Here are some pics of ND's motion capture studio

c9zoyhhvwaefkojosstc.jpg

drsdom8v4aa3xglr8sq6.jpg

c0e8lghuoaacehkhwska.jpg

The padding on the wall and the floors look different compared to the studio that Annie is in.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh yeah you're right.

Still, will be cool to have her in a videogame again. I wonder what it is for.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Here's some speculation based on what Neil said during the PSX 2016 panel just after the game was announced: the One Night Live epilogue thing they did in July 2014 is gonna be in the game, possibly as the game's opening. Troy Baker talked about it during the PSX 2016 panel, saying how Neil specifically said it's not canon. Neil then interrupts Troy, and says "well....". Here's the video (starts at 26:50 if it doesn't take you there):

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the epilogue just Joel and Ellie talking in a room and him eventually singing a Pearl Jam song to her? I'm not sure if they'd go with something like that for the intro. The intro to TLoU is pretty much legendary at this point, so to some degree I think they'd aim for something like that. Perhaps not hitting the exact same notes, but simply something that sticks with everyone that experiences it.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if/when we'll get that as the actual tie-in comic.

I enjoyed how American Dreams was able to compliment the original game's narrative, even though reading it wasn't all that necessary. It was just really cool to see the relationships between Ellie, Marlene, Riley fleshed out a little further.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Typing with a broken arm.

A few questions for anyone with some fairly grounded instinct:

-- What unresolved plot threads will most likely be addressed in part 2?
-- What was the central theme of TLOU part 1, and do you expect an expansion of TLOU's theme or a complete subversion of it?
-- If TLOU2 features a cold opening like the one in TLOU1, would it be Joel or Ellie centric? Or, might it involve both of them in the same piece between the two main games?
Should it be Joel and his brother, Tommy in the immediate aftermath of Sara's death, and in the still unfolding apocalypse around them? Or could it be Ellie and Riley in the days after they've been infected?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Typing with a broken arm.

A few questions for anyone with some fairly grounded instinct:

-- What unresolved plot threads will most likely be addressed in part 2?
-- What was the central theme of TLOU part 1, and do you expect an expansion of TLOU's theme or a complete subversion of it?
-- If TLOU2 features a cold opening like the one in TLOU1, would it be Joel or Ellie centric? Or, might it involve both of them in the same piece between the two main games?
Should it be Joel and his brother, Tommy in the immediate aftermath of Sara's death, and in the still unfolding apocalypse around them? Or could it be Ellie and Riley in the days after they've been infected?

I really don't want them to touch on a lot of the past plot points. I think a big part of the appeal of the original was that they left a lot up to the player to speculate. I remember Neil said that because the Ish plot became so popular that they actually did consider making the DLC based on him. But then they quickly realized that it would never make people happy. He'd sound different than they expected. He'd look different. He may even act different. So instead they left it where it was. The rest is up to us. And I feel the same goes for something like Riley and Ellie after they got infected. If they show us how that played out up until Riley turns then that's going to upset some. In many ways we got the storyline out of their relationship that we needed. It showed us a different side of Ellie that we didn't know about before, and not just that she's gay. They don't necessarily need to show whether Ellie killed her or just ran away. And I feel that they really don't need to go into Tommy and Joel past either. Throughout the game we kept hearing hints about a different side of Joel that we didn't know about. Tess talked about how they were shitty people. Tommy talked about how he still has nightmares about what Joel did. But the game eventually does show us that side once we get to Winter. They don't really need to go back during those days.

The one past plot point that many do think they'll touch on is Ellie's mom. That'll be unique in that she's really a blank slate. We don't really know much at all about her. That would also allow us to see those early infection years through a new set of eyes rather than through Joel's.

I noticed that Neil's pinned tweet is still him with that dog in the mocap suit. It makes me wonder if a potential dog companion is going to play a major role in the game. If I remember correctly they actually had a concept early on for the original game in which Ellie and Joel would get a puppy and it'd growup along their journey. But that ended up getting cut.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really don't want them to touch on a lot of the past plot points. I think a big part of the appeal of the original was that they left a lot up to the player to speculate. I remember Neil said that because the Ish plot became so popular that they actually did consider making the DLC based on him. But then they quickly realized that it would never make people happy. He'd sound different than they expected. He'd look different. He may even act different. So instead they left it where it was. The rest is up to us. And I feel the same goes for something like Riley and Ellie after they got infected. If they show us how that played out up until Riley turns then that's going to upset some. In many ways we got the storyline out of their relationship that we needed. It showed us a different side of Ellie that we didn't know about before, and not just that she's gay. They don't necessarily need to show whether Ellie killed her or just ran away. And I feel that they really don't need to go into Tommy and Joel past either. Throughout the game we kept hearing hints about a different side of Joel that we didn't know about. Tess talked about how they were shitty people. Tommy talked about how he still has nightmares about what Joel did. But the game eventually does show us that side once we get to Winter. They don't really need to go back during those days.

The one past plot point that many do think they'll touch on is Ellie's mom. That'll be unique in that she's really a blank slate. We don't really know much at all about her. That would also allow us to see those early infection years through a new set of eyes rather than through Joel's.

I noticed that Neil's pinned tweet is still him with that dog in the mocap suit. It makes me wonder if a potential dog companion is going to play a major role in the game. If I remember correctly they actually had a concept early on for the original game in which Ellie and Joel would get a puppy and it'd growup along their journey. But that ended up getting cut.
I assumed the dog was a stand in for all dogs in general in the game. There's speculation of the virus passing onto animals. That's a new development for the series. If they go that route, which animals would be the ideal candidates? They won't tap into the entire animal kingdom, but I've seen ND tweet pics of a pig in a mocap suit. Because they'll no doubt err on the side of realism and practicality in gameplay, I doubt they'd have infected lions or hamsters. Couple that with having to balance that with the other known factions of infected and uninfected humans and the subgroups within, I imagine they have to be selective. So if pigs and dogs are among the infected animals so far, what are the other possibilities? Bobcats? Gorillas? Vultures? Perhaps infected giraffes to completely subvert one of the more striking visual motifs of the first game.

Edit: In wake of a 20 year outbreak, what is the practicality of escaped zoo animals or lab animals escaping captivity and repopulating the American landscape?

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
More Doggies
tSxMxeHh.jpg

There are more pictures in the link.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfNzHAXBpzM/

From the person who found these on reddit.
Source : https://www.instagram.com/p/BfNzHAXBpzM/ where you can see many other pictures from the mocap.

The pictures have been taken at the Reserve, who's Naughty Dog's mocap stage. On the last picture we can see Jennifer Jessee who's the Production Supervisor at Naughty Dog. And the pictures has been taken the 02/15/2018, so one day before this picture of Neil with another dog on the mocap stage of the Part 2. So I'm 100% sure this picture is from The Last of Us Part 2.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just a reminder that the reveal trailer for the game showed us what appears to be claw marks on a tree, so we might be seeing infected dogs which would be scary as fuck.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't know about infected animals, but I'm expecting the game to feature a lot more wild animals this time, including predators, like wolves.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Could be MANY reasons to mocap dogs. They are cheap, safe, trained quadrupeds. It's really your only good solution.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Ellie does have a dog companion that gets hurt/killed then I hope they already recorded it, otherwise it's going to be pretty hard on Ashley since she revealed last week that she had to have her dog put down. She had the dog for 15 years.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Drukmann is going to force us to kill doggies, you just wait. and we won't have any choices either
1-neil-druckmann-webjpg.jpg

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Nope. The world is far too overgrown to be pre-Ellie. I'd say it's more than likely her sister. Not the first time ND pulls a sibling out of thin air.

Also, all of the people in that trailer other than the hanged Hammer-girl are from the same cult. Same clothes, hairstyles, face scars... that kinda group would take time to develop. And the kid (Lev?) showed ZERO emotion to her hanging there. He was raised in that world from birth. This scene either takes place during or after TLoU's Joel and Ellie events, but NOT before.

Bookmark it. I'm 100% correct.
It could have been 5 years since the apocalypse at least if Anna is pregnant, since Ellie was born six years into the apocalypse. That's enough time for things to overgrow and people to adapt to the circumstances. Lev saying she's "one of them" implies the one hanging (****) is/was from the cult. The cult could have been active in the north west that whole time, since we've only seen Joel and Ellie in the east and Utah/Wyoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.