• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
The Last of Us Part 2 speculation thread.

31396458265_93118cec4a_z.jpg

Well the new trailer just dropped live at Paris Games Week and it was suitably brutal!
Going by the new trailer it seems to me like it'll be a prologue segment in the vein of Joel's in TLoU.

The new trailer seems to feature Ellie's mother Anna and how Ellie came to be in the care of Marlene. Maybe this will provide backstory on how Ellie's motivation will be driven by hate this time around, as stated by Neil Druckman in an interview at PSX 2016. Maybe she learns about her mother's true death as Anna had already stated in the first game in a letter to Ellie that she "knew she was going to die".

TLDR; Ellie's mother Anna will be the star of the games opening showing how she gave birth to Ellie, was murdered by the new unknown group and gave Ellie to Marlene. Ellie learns of this truth and her anger causes her to go after the unknown group in revenge.

https://youtu.be/LGoRl0cPO94

New video of Neil Druckman talking about this new PGW trailer. He confirms that it doesn't run adjacent to the game which basically says it takes place before or after.

I want to hear some of your ideas and speculation!

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I think she's the new antagonist cause of the duality of the posters released.

uDsdFWi.jpg

Play as both sides to see what Ellie could have turned into or will turn into if she lets her anger control her.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
There'll be playable flashbacks. Maybe finding mementos from Ellie's family. That might be what the revenge alluded to - avenging whatever befell Ellie's folks.

Gus

Oct 25, 2017
Cuiabá, Brazil
Last edited:

Astara

Oct 25, 2017
I really like you theory OP, but I think our true MC is going to be Ellie's mother (seems Laura Bailey to me) and Ellie is going to discover her story but her sections are going to be pretty short (more like Uncharted 4's young Nate).

I'm seeing a connection here with The Godfather too, since it seems to me that we are going to experience the story of Ellie's mother, just like we did with Vito Corleone. Besides, they went for Part II instead of 2, maybe another reference?

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm going with a twist and it's not Ellie's mother but her daughter in the future.
Could be but then why would they call them demons and not their actual name designated by the world. Clickers.

Don't get me wrong I kinda like your theory though! It may sway either way tbh. Can't wait for more info.

I really like you theory OP, but I think our true MC is going to be Ellie's mother (seems Laura Bailey to me) and Ellie is going to discover her story but her sections are going to be pretty short (more like Uncharted 4's young Nate).

I'm seeing a connection here with The Godfather too, since it seems to me that we are going to experience the story of Ellie's mother, just like we did with Vito Corleone. Besides, they went for Part II instead of 2, maybe another reference?

So you're saying we actually play as Ellie's mother Anna through out the game? Interesting idea but Neil has already confirmed it's The second part of Ellie and Joel's adventure.

It's either flashbacks or its the prologue section at the start of the game I reckon.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
Ellie might become Bi so who knows.

It's a possibility but not a very likely one imo since Neil has already gone on record saying she's gay.
They could also go down the route of her being raped but I don't think there's anyway in hell ND would tackle that.

It seems much more likely we're seeing Ellie's mum, since we already know her name and they're not revealing it yet. Plus, that would be a huge time jump to show her adult kid.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
In the beginning I thought this was like Dead Island in the sense that it's a trailer featuring non-important characters to set the tone of the game but I'm really digging the thought that these characters may be relevant after all . ( And it would be neat if that is indeed Anna )

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think this scene is at the beginning. It reminds me of LoU's and U4's beginnings. Like LoU, it takes place in the past, and like U4, you are surrounded by enemies. Anna is holding a hammer, not a gun, so I feel like it leaves room for a tutorial-like situation, that eventually leads to teaching the player how to shoot a gun when they come across one. I dont really see it fitting in anywhere else, unless they do a traditional flashback scene with the perspective of one of the other characters in that scene. I dont feel like that works too well, and hope they decide not to go in that campfire story direction.

Oct 30, 2017
São Paulo
I think it's really Anna and this make a lot of sense for the storyline about Ellie's anger.
The choice of the V.A and the fact they are keeping her name a secret is pointing that too.

Another interesting fact is that we know that Ellie's Mother was a nurse, but we don't know where she worked.
This character looks like she is from the Army, whats explain her clothes and THAT MUSCLES. Maybe Anna was a nurse in the Army.

And maybe that's why Marlene left Ellie to be raised in a military base.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Still not sold on playing as Ellie because of her relative size/weakness.

Ellie's Mom wielding the hammer is something I want to play, because it adds a dimension to the brutal violence I enjoyed with Joel, and that I dont think we'll see with Ellie.

Really curious about the NPCs. Im hoping they add in women NPCs.

Still of the opinion that Joel is dead, or just chilling, because the story is too involved for him to matter. I love Joel too much, but it is where they seem to be taking things. He has no reason to be as protective, and Ellie is an adult now. And Joel must be like 50. Wouldn't mind Joel existing in her mind, and if they deal with that as the opener, it would be a really amazing way to completely take Ellie into her own story.

If LoU can pull off playing multiple characters, it'd be awesome, because I really want to play as the badass mom. I know people love Ellie, but LoU1 was always about Joel to me

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You Will play in the past and the present alongside. As elie mom and herself, creating a paralel between the two narratives and the problems and choices they take.

Astara

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, what's the point with presenting characters from a prologue in a game which is going to release 2019 at best? I don't remember ND doing trailers based on Young Nate during U3/U4 or the prologue sequence during TLoU. Besides, we have the voice actress too.

I think they are the main cast, and that doesn't contradict with Druckman's statement about controlling and learn about Ellie's past. I mean, perhaps after we (and Ellie) discover what happened to her mother, she starts her quest for vengeance or whatever TloU Part III's theme is, but this game is going to revolve around Ellie's mother and her group.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Oh haha, yeah it's a good theory but it's not happening. Like you said and I said in the link posted on the OP, Neil has already said this is Ellie's turn to be the MC.

I think this scene is at the beginning. It reminds me of LoU's and U4's beginnings. Like LoU, it takes place in the past, and like U4, you are surrounded by enemies. Anna is holding a hammer, not a gun, so I feel like it leaves room for a tutorial-like situation, that eventually leads to teaching the player how to shoot a gun when they come across one. I dont really see it fitting in anywhere else, unless they do a traditional flashback scene with the perspective of one of the other characters in that scene. I dont feel like that works too well, and hope they decide not to go in that campfire story direction.
Yeah exactly how I feel it'll play out. It'll be a prologue section. I feel like it'll skip ahead to Anna giving birth and skip ahead again to when she dies (probably murdered by the cult) with Marlene killing the person who kills Anna. Ellie in her arms as a call back to Joel killing Marlene with Ellie in his arms. But I reckon when we're fast forwarded it'll be Ellie reading a letter from Marlene to another Firefly telling the story of how Anna was murdered and she goes on a rampage.
I think it's really Anna and this make a lot of sense for the storyline about Ellie's anger.
The choice of the V.A and the fact they are keeping her name a secret is pointing that too.

Another interesting fact is that we know that Ellie's Mother was a nurse, but we don't know where she worked.
This character looks like she is from the Army, whats explain her clothes and THAT MUSCLES. Maybe Anna was a nurse in the Army.

And maybe that's why Marlene left Ellie to be raised in a military base.
Wow I didn't think of this! Makes sense that Marlene would do that.

As long as Joel is dead or dies early I'm happy.
No! We all love Joel, right guys? Guys!

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's got to be Ellie's origin story, told through her mother in flashback sequences. Plenty of stuff alluding to this, especially the fact that they wanted to cut her stomach open.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Right now it really looks like its gonna be Anna, Ellie´s mother.

They wouldnt make such a big secret about the characters name if its not somebody important we already know about.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
One of things that I'm interesting in learning is the conceiving of Ellie. ND and ND could go very different routes with this. We could meet Ellie's dad, who could potentially be alive in present time. Anna might also gotten pregnant from some lover or a one night stand, keeping the plot between mother and daughter. Hell they might not even mention a partner and just skip it to the point where she's about to give birth. Or.........midi-chlorians.
rwEdw6N.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the Godfather 2 with Ellie being the main character and her mother Anna being the protagonist of the flash backs. Joel get shot on a boat (under orders from Ellie) :P Ellie sulks in a garden at the end.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it being a flashback. Jump to the 26 mark of the trailer. It shows highway city signs but the ground and everything around it is overgrown. So no way is this happening in the past. It's either current time like they showed in the first trailer or even more in the future. I guess current time.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
I think she's the new antagonist cause of the duality of the posters released.

uDsdFWi.jpg

Play as both sides to see what Ellie could have turned into or will turn into if she lets her anger control her.

I'm loving these 2 posters. Assuming it is Anna, her poster to me is a mirror of Joel's psyche of protecting her "child." She will fight for Ellie's survival. Ellie's poster imo is an allusion to her going back to her "roots" which has something to do with the unknown groups and the butterfly - wings imagery.

I'm also going with the Godfather II, style of story telling here.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I can't see it being a flashback. Jump to the 26 mark of the trailer. It shows highway city signs but the ground and everything around it is overgrown. So no way is this happening in the past. It's either current time like they showed in the first trailer or even more in the future. I guess current time.
Outbreak day was September 26th 2013. Ellie was born in 2018/19. Plenty of time for stuff to be overgrown. I doubt there was gardeners mowing the grass etc.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Outbreak day was September 26th 2013. Ellie was born in 2018/19. Plenty of time for stuff to be overgrown. I doubt there was gardeners mowing the grass etc.
You could be right but it seems too far gone to me. Just from memory It feels even more overgrown than the first game and that would be in the future If this was a flashback.

OP
OP
Venom

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Yeah, at this point there is little doubt that it's Ellie's mom. Will be fun to see how much was left of society 5 years after the outbreak - seems not much.

IUnderstoodThatReference.gif
I now fully expect a (she's bi) post from Druckman.
I think it's pretty obvious Anna, Ellie's mom. She even looks like Ellie and people thought she was Ellie at first.
Yeah even her grunts sounded like Ellie at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.