• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You would think that they would just release it on PSN and people would buy it. This ain't the PS3 era no more. People who want physical would buy it later and they would make more money with double dippers. Failure of a business strategy.
Sure, because retail buyers these days are double-dippers only..........

There's a pandemic out there, count your blessings, play your backlog, play FF7, and realize new games, movies, life as we knew it, is no more until this is over.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
There is an element of this that needs to be discussed too, in lieu of the reporting that this move was made to maximize profit:

Entertainment is a very necessary source of diversion and sanity right now. Millions of people have been locked up in their homes for weeks. Games can help people better transit this difficult times. If a game is finished, I believe publishers would do better to release their games digitally. They can fulfill a public role in doing so.

especially games set in a post pandemic apocalypse world with detailed torture scenes and violence are really needed now. for diversion of course.

/s

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
That makes even less sense. Throwing away the PS4 install base and raising the entry fee to several hundred dollars is a good way to minimize sales and upset customers given that it was already advertised and presold as a PS4 game on top of wasting development funds making the game for the PS4.

Forget shooting in the foot, that's amputation at the knee.

Good point. I guess the game will be cross gen?

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
If anything, TLoU2 should put the current crisis in perspective :P
But seriously; that contagion movie had that effect on me so maybe it would apply to games as well?

Arsenic

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck all these companies sitting on finished products that can be digitally distributed. I get that not everyone has access to download speeds, but they can get it down the line when the manufacturing opens back up. This is nothing but greed on the part of the creative companies who are sitting on finished products.

KEY STATEMENT: Companies sitting on finished products, I never said anything about companies who aren't done with their projects.
You sound like a child with a hissy fit

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck all these companies sitting on finished products that can be digitally distributed. I get that not everyone has access to download speeds, but they can get it down the line when the manufacturing opens back up. This is nothing but greed on the part of the creative companies who are sitting on finished products.

KEY STATEMENT: Companies sitting on finished products, I never said anything about companies who aren't done with their projects.

Why can't I who preordered the physical version play the same time as you?

I'd rather everyone wait so everyone has a chance to play it at the same time than have others get the chance first because their internet speeds are faster or even have internet at all.

This seems like a fair decision to me with everything else going on.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Releasing digital only and then retail later is simply not fair.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The irony of this post holy shit. How fucking entitled do you have to be to bitch and moan about a video game getting delayed because of a global pandemic. Some really need to get their priorities straight.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Why can't I who preordered the physical version play the same time as you?

I'd rather everyone wait so everyone has a chance to play it at the same time than have others get the chance first because their internet speeds are faster or even have internet at all.

This seems like a fair decision to me with everything else going on.
Thank you for this perspective. I agree and this has made me reassess my previous position.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
TLOU was a game with a lot of amazing moments that I would have hated to be spoiled before getting a chance to experience them myself. If Sony were to release a digital only version then anyone who was counting on the physical version would have to either tread very carefully or completely avoid forums, gaming sites, Youtube and social media for fear of spoilers. Given the way the world is now, that's basically asking people to either give up a lot of entertainment options and social interaction, or risk having their own experience with the game spoiled before they're eventually able to get the physical copies out.

That honestly makes no sense. Delaying the game until they can get it out to everyone is the best call for ALL gamers. The financial implications for Sony are also very real and need to be considered, and many people in this thread have explained it wonderfully.

I'm as disappointed as the next person, but it's the reality of the situation and we have to be understanding.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Not gonna lie, all this shit stings. I understand the frustrations in this thread. May was like the light at the end of a very narrow and dark tunnel, a tunnel that just became a lot longer.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's a bummer for sure, but it is understandable. I can wait. Still have so much on the backlog, plus FFVII and RE3 will keep me busy for quite some time.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I was gonna wait to play this on PS5 anyway, this just makes the wait that much easier.

you better f*cking not

If you're not in one of the hardcore quarantine zones, taking walks (by yourself, obviously) is fine and even encouraged - it's going to have a big effect on your mental health. Just as an aside.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
As for the consoles, Sony and Microsoft are probably seeing what the situation is going to be like come November/December. It looks like the manufacturing of the PS5 and Series X is already going ahead. It's interesting to imagine what would happen if they did get pushed back though, as that might affect the price.

And the reason these games can't go digital-only is because 1) retail is still too important to completely abandon on consoles, and 2) with platform holders already throttling downloads you don't want millions of your users trying to download a 100GB game at once.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I prefer physical myself, delaying a game because of problems with physical distribution is the very definition of ass-backwards.
There is a solution to this, it's literally called digital distribution. You know, beyond the "im all digital, i dont want no clutter" yadayada there is actually the fact of more convenience, easy availability.

I don't really care if TLoU2 comes out this year or next year, I'm not really all that desperate for it. But it's mindboggling that they actually believe a significant number of people wouldn't buy the game at all if they couldn't buy a box, especially now.
Or is it the cash they make with special editions from us fools?

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Just release it digitally then... what's the problem? Refund all physical preorders and go full digital with this release.

Jan 20, 2019
Just release it digitally then... what's the problem? Refund all physical preorders and go full digital with this release.

If this was Nintendo that still sell 3 years old games at 60$, they whould do it, but this is not Nintendo, selling TLOU2 digital in may and fisical in august(for example) whould be leaving money on the table since the fisical edition whould be cheaper.

Then you have to take in considerarion the partnership beteween the retailelrs and the publishers that also plays a big part of it, specaly for a company that wants to sell a new console.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
They can spend the extra time making into a PS5 game (or cross gen). I know they say logistics is the reason but part of me thinks a game about a virus infection being release in the middle of this crisis would have been a bad decision and look for Sony.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
because all those who preordered it physical 6 months ago (and dont want/cant play it digital) would surely appreciate having to wait who knows how long until physical copies will be ready and get spoiled by all those playing the game already.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should just release it digitally, anyone that wants physical can just wait, don't see the issue.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this was Nintendo that still sell 3 years old games at 60$, they whould do it, but this is not Nintendo, selling TLOU2 digital in may and fisical in august(for example) whould be leaving money on the table since the fisical edition whould be cheaper.

I do not get your logic here at all. When have Nintendo ever had a staggered launch of a game in this way, and what the heck does your example have to do with anything?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nobody has ever staggered the launch of a game, that is why the delayed is happening.

And the example is a explanation on why they are not doing a digital only release.

Well I still don't understand but whatever. There's a button for these sorts of comments and I'll leave it at that.

Besides Nintendo are still planning to release a $60 both physically and digitally on May 29th. Let's wait and see what happens and if your logic holds any water.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Must have been hard for the devs - they pretty much killed themselves to hit the May date...only for it to be delayed again.

Its still the smarter choice, but bummer all around.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
What the hell? No new dates is very strange.
Also I really didn't think an end of May release would be a problem.
Figured they'd just do something similar to what Square Enix is doing with FF VII.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't mind lol. I was considering to delay playing it on the PS5 anyway, to get those new gen upgrades in graphics, fps, 3D audio, maybe RT perhaps. On top of getting a new TV.

Delay Cyberphunk too, this should be the year everyone chop down their backlog.

What the hell? No new dates is very strange.
Yeah there's a pandemic going on in the real world that has no set end date yet.

Jan 20, 2019
Well I still don't understand but whatever. There's a button for these sorts of comments and I'll leave it at that.

Besides Nintendo are still planning to release a $60 both physically and digitally on May 29th. Let's wait and see what happens and if your logic holds any water.

God you peoepl are so sensive about this stuff, in no way shape or form was i shitting on Nintendo....

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Sure, because retail buyers these days are double-dippers only..........

There's a pandemic out there, count your blessings, play your backlog, play FF7, and realize new games, movies, life as we knew it, is no more until this is over.
Nah, life goes on. There will plenty of games and movies releasing digitally the next few months. Console AAA games are an outlier.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's just a game. The world is facing a very difficult period, so I'm fine with this.

This

Lot of toys being thrown out of their prams in this thread. Not a good look

Beat the pandemic and then we can worry about getting our entertainment products

It's not like there are no other games to play, and a lot of people are more concerned with surviving, either with no income or because they're vulnerable

The BUT I WANT IT NOW manbabies need to take a step back. We'll all be able to play Iron Man VR eventually

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I don't get is if they're delayed "indefinitely," why didn't they just get ahead of things and lump Ghosts of Tsushima in the delay with it? That was only a month after TLoU and it certainly would've been swept up in an "indefinite" delay.

I understand the seriousness of the pandemic; however, I can't help but think Sony wants to save TLoU for this fall incase PS5 slips into next year....

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They can spend the extra time making into a PS5 game (or cross gen). I know they say logistics is the reason but part of me thinks a game about a virus infection being release in the middle of this crisis would have been a bad decision and look for Sony.

You mean like Resident Evil 3? I don't see backlash.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
This

Lot of toys being thrown out of their prams in this thread. Not a good look

Beat the pandemic and then we can worry about getting our entertainment products

It's not like there are no other games to play, and a lot of people are more concerned with surviving, either with no income or because they're vulnerable

The BUT I WANT IT NOW manbabies need to take a step back. We'll all be able to play Iron Man VR eventually
I don't get this take at all. Well I kind of do, people need to constantly feel morally superior to other at every turn I guess. Regardless, no one is saying this is the most important thing in the world. But if people want a little escapism and don't want to spend every waking minute thinking about a deadly virus and the catastrophic economic impacts it's having then why shouldn't they? Might as well shut down this side of the forum if all we're allowed to think about is the virus.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
A fair and good decision by Sony. Sucks for us waiting, but I guess it will be worth it. Be kind to everyone Era.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Hey, are you okay? I know this is about a TLoU, but I'm sorry that you're ill. I hope you get the chance to play it before it's too late.

Oh no, sorry if it came off that way. I have some heart issues and I worry if I get corona I probably won't make it. I live in Switzerland, a small country with an insane amount of cases.

Thanks for caring though. <3

Last edited: