• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Theme

Which set up the ending of course.

ND: Exactly - where Joel is even prepared to sacrifice his relationship with Ellie in order to protect her. And then with the second game it started with this concept of - and it's a hard thing to articulate - this idea of hate. And by that I mean, I don't know if you've ever been in a fight or you've seen a video of someone torturing an animal or you've read about some atrocity and for a moment your mind goes, "I wish I could make that person pay. I wish I could make them suffer in the way they've made others suffer.'

So that idea is this exists within all of us and the only thing that prevents us from just tipping into this primal urge is laws, and the rule of law, and society. But if society is gone - and you see it in parts of the world where they don't have those safeguards - the hate comes through and this cycle of violence permeates and people commit sometimes horrible acts.

So that became this primal thing, this ripe thing to explore in a video game. And it felt like it slotted right into this world, the characters fit right into the story we're trying to tell and it felt like this complimentary piece to the first game. By the time you finish playing the first game you'll be able to look at the two games and be like, oh, I see how everything kind of locks into place.

They're two very different emotions, obviously…

ND: They are and yet they are very much connected. One of the things I did research for this, there's a documentary on HBO called Paradise Lost. It's about the murder of these three children by these teenagers (I might be getting the numbers wrong - I'm not sure). And it's three movies and by the end of it you find out the teenagers are actually innocent. But what I found interesting was that in these interviews with the parents who didn't think the teenagers were innocent, you hear normal citizens, normal Americans, say, 'I would skin them alive'. Again, it's like something that exists within us. And for them it's a perversion of love. It comes form a place of how much they loved this person that was close to them that they're willing to commit this heinous act because they believe that is just. And we often pursue justice at any cost - whether it's on a global scale with politics or on a personal scale. So that's where the idea of hate is surrounded by good intentions.

And presumably in the game there's a specific incident that triggers this hate?

ND: That would be a good presumption to make. Uh huh.

And presumably you can't mention it?

ND: No, it's hard. The only thing I'll say is with this demo we really wanted to show the duality of showing Ellie at peace within this community that has electricity, that has some semblance of old society. She can be in love with this other girl. Like, you see her almost at her happiest. And then something happens that takes this away from her that thrusts her onto this journey

E3 demo

It's an incredible demo. Will it play out like that in the game or have you stage managed it to go from the kiss to the neck slice and back again?

ND: E3 demos are an interesting thing. Normally when you play that level there are all these paths you could take of how you enter the garage or circumvent it, whether you're going to engage with these people or not at all. But for E3 we take a complex system that has a lot of randomness and make it deterministic and then we play it a lot and we rehearse and choreograph it because we're trying to show you very specific beats and moments but you're seeing all game mechanics and systems and assets that you're going to experience in the final game.

Story flow

But will the story be told in flashback?

ND: Oh, I see where you're at. Some of the story will be told in non-linear, non-contiguous flow.

Ellie's age and where she's at

How much time has elapsed since the first game?

ND: It's been roughly four years. Ellie was about 15 when they arrived in Jackson. Now she's about 19.

Where is she in her life now? What's going on?

ND: She settled down. From the clues you get from the cinematic she's part of this group of older teens/young 20's that enlisted in this… they're not quite soldiers but they go on patrols protecting Jackson's small town making sure Infected aren't coming out or if there's any wandering Marauders they report it back to the town. And during those fours years she's had… a complicated relationship with Joel as he's mentioned a little bit in that trailer.

The situation with Joel

So the popular fan theory that he's dead is… not true?

ND: Ha ha ha - that's a weird question, right? Because first of all, everyone dies eventually so I don't know exactly what the question is. But.. I guess the thing is with The Last of Us, first of all it's these deep relationships and the stakes of who lives, who survives, what happens sometimes is a fate worse than death and to spoil any of that for any character would be doing a disservice to the story.

Ellie's sexuality

The demo also showed us Ellie is continuing to explore her sexuality…

ND: Like any teenager would.

You started that in the Left Behind DLC but that kiss was still a bold thing to show at an E3 press conference. Was that a bold choice to make?

ND: It didn't feel bold… I guess I can speak for myself - I don't know how the other people on the team felt about it - but for me Left Behind was harder maybe because I wasn't as confident writing something like that. For Left Behind we took the kiss out and then we put it back in, I felt like we didn't earn it, I didn't want it to feel like it was there for shock value. I really wanted it to feel earned, like it was true to her character. That's really important to me: are we telling the story and are we writing these characters as honestly as we can.

Then with this, we wanted to show that duality of… Ellie's already this complex character and then we get this opportunity to spend this whole game with her and see all these other facets with her. And here we can see her being awkward, being naive, being in love, kissing, you see her smile - this is the happiest she's been maybe in years, and then to contrast that with again whatever this event is that's thrust her into that situation and she's a hardcore survivalist, she's violent - maybe even cruel at times - and that's the same character. So that felt like the right ingredients for a demo, just representing the tone and feel of what this game is about.

And then once we realised, ok we're going to show that, it was like, oh, we're going to show these two girls kissing at E3. I was like, that's kind of cool, I don't think that's been done at E3 before. So it was more like an afterthought, like, that's going to be cool. It's going to be something fresh.

Negative reaction to the kiss

Have you been disappointed by some of the reaction online?

ND: It's funny because it's Pride month and I had this tweet where we had #pridemonth and we had the Naughty Dog logo with a rainbow flag and that one disappointed me I guess not surprising in that that there's some bigoted reactions but just the quantity of it surprised me. So going in to this I'm like, oh, of course there's going to be some people who are uncomfortable with this. Which is always weird to me because you're uncomfortable with two girls kissing but you're ok with everything else that happened in this demo? Even if it maybe it doesn't fit with how you morally see the world I hope you will still play the game and this is a way for us to normalise something that reflects the world that we live in.

Absolutely. And surely video games should be beyond this now.

ND: Well I think all media should be.

Dina's backstory

What can you tell us about the other characters we saw in the church? There's [Westworld star] Shannon Woodward's character Dina..?

ND: Right… I'll, um, fill in some backstory. I don't know if I'm supposed to say it but whatever, it's fine. So since the end of the first game - spoiler! - Ellie and Joel have settled in Jackson, the town where his brother lives. And pretty soon thereafter Ellie hits it off with this girl Dina, They just become best friends, they have the same quirky humour. Dina is dating this guy Jesse but now the three of them are kind of friends, they're part of this patrol of Jackson and Jesse is the leader of this group - a much larger group than just those three. And we come in for this demo on the night a few days after Dina and Jesse have broken up. And then we see that maybe there's more than just a friendship there for these two.

Improvisation during performance

Last time round you described the making of The Last if Us as a very theatrical experience with actors semi-improvising scenes as you went along. Was it the same this time around?

ND: Absolutely. Shannon especially very much digests the material and makes it her own. She even likes changing lines - which I love. If anyone can make the writing better for me then I'll take it. It is very much a collaboration. The whole process is I try to send the scripts - and I have a co-writer Halle, we work on the scenes together - I try to send the scenes to the actors as early as possible so they can digest the material. Sometimes they'll call me and we'll talk on the phone and maybe change some stuff.

We have a whole day where we'll just rehearse. Half of it is sitting around a table going through the scenes, going through the words, workshopping them, talking about any backstory we might have to fill in, any ideas they want to bring to the table. Then we'll shoot it - but even while we shoot it, we'll keep it flexible. We're lucky that we have the luxury of time. Nothing feels rushed, we're going to stay with a scene and I don't mind doing 20 or 30 takes if need be. We'll just explore options. If somebody has an idea and they want to do another take I'll always give it to them. We might find a nugget in there.

On the violence

We have to talk about the violence in the demo: it's extremely sickening. Lots of neck slicing, entrails falling out, hammer blows to the face… What are you trying to achieve with this?

ND: Realism. We're telling a story that's a conversation about the cycle of violence. We're telling a story that we're saying there's a cost of pursuing justice at any cost, both personal and around us. And we don't want to sanitise it.

Our research is actually way more disturbing than what you see in the game. We watch real life violence. Stuff that's hard for us to watch but we feel if this is a story we chose to tell we have to do it as honestly as we can. And therefore the violence needs to be as grounded as it can. Often a lot of the iteration process is minimising it and making it more realistic and that's something our co-art director John Sweeney is really pushing hard: 'no, no - look at this reference, this is how it should be'. And we know it's going to be at times disturbing and at times uncomfortable and that's ok, that's part of art. As long as it's engaging and ultimately there's a reason for all of it and it causes you to reflect on it then that's why it needs to be in there.

Quiet moments

Are we still going to get those quiet moments in Part II?

ND: Absolutely. I think without it it would feel relentless. I remember with the first game we were talking there was obvious inspiration for us from [Cormac McCarthy's novel] The Road. And I said, I don't think The Road would work as a long-form game because that book, as beautiful as it is, is just relentless. So for us you need those moments of reprieve, you need to see those moments of happiness, of dancing, of humour… but again we're telling the story about the pursuit of justice and all the suffering and pain that can come with it and we're not going to shy away from what that means and the kind of experience we want the player to experience. But we want the full emotional experience for you to feel the full impact of that journey.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...i-exclusive-interview-neil-druckmann-lesbian/

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's really fucked up they watched people being stabbed and such but great interview nonetheless.

Oct 27, 2017
It's an incredible demo. Will it play out like that in the game or have you stage managed it to go from the kiss to the neck slice and back again?

ND: E3 demos are an interesting thing. Normally when you play that level there are all these paths you could take of how you enter the garage or circumvent it, whether you're going to engage with these people or not at all. But for E3 we take a complex system that has a lot of randomness and make it deterministic and then we play it a lot and we rehearse and choreograph it because we're trying to show you very specific beats and moments but you're seeing all game mechanics and systems and assets that you're going to experience in the final game.

And there it is, what a bunch of us were saying they did.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of fates worse than death.

Personally, I think it'd be best if Joel's psychological toll gets the best of him and he becomes too unwell to function due to mental damage. Dude has been through enough and it'd be interesting to see such a strong character wither away

Id be so much more sadder for him if he suffers that way.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoooo, Joel is going to get bitten at some point and we are going to have to end him arent we, druckman with the "or sometimes a fate worse than death".....

FUCCCCCKKKKKKK

EDIT: or joel get emotionally fucked up and either loses his mind or, fuck what if Joel commits suicide. GOD DAMN IT DONT DO THIS TO ME

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I can totally see the game having Ellie go waaay too far in getting revenge, even if its justified and perhaps Joel tries to intervene or even stop her because he know's what that kind of anger and hate can do to a person better than she. Maybe the ending is almost a reversal of the first game with Ellie bold faced lying to Joel about something absolutely horrible that she obviously did and Joel just accepting it despite knowing its a lie. Or I'm just bull shitting.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope Joel nor Ellie dies, TLOU subverted expectations by having them both live, the real tragedy was in what Joel did and that the relationship between him and Ellie although preserved, was perverted and uncertain.

I also do not want ND to kill the entire community as motivation for Ellie, such wanton destruction as impetus for the hero's journey is a trope best left in Hollywood.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
can't believe they didn't ask anything about their graphics engine. The game looks mind blowing (thanks to Pro)

I can't wait to see what they pull off on PS5. But please no more Uncharted!!

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I am so mesmerized by how much Neil GETS IT.

I trust him 100%.

I was one of those that didnt want a sequel to TLOU1 because of me the ending was absolutely perfect and anything itinerating on that would somehow fuck it. Basically "dont touch it, its art".

But the more I read about this game, it just feels so coherent to these characters and story.

I especially like the theme. Hate. What he described... hate driven by love. The idea of that hate being exposed by the context of this fucked up world is so fucking interesting.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
this is going to be the greatest game ever.

hopefully his words make people pay attention instead of spouting knee-jerk reactions to the violence that was literally there in the first game

OP
OP
SolidSnakex

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to kill Dina, aren't they?

I think it's too obvious of a story route. Plus ND are fully aware of how much gay gamers like Ellie as well as the trope of having love interests of gay characters die in media. Now Riley's fate was set in stone before Left Behind was ever written, but this is a whole new thing. I don't think they'll go down that route again.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Good read thanks for sharing!

I never noticed Joel being mentioned in the trailer though and I watched it 3 times, just watched it again to listen for it and noticed....lectured by your old man.

I'm guessing that's it.

I'd be pretty damn upset if they killed Joel off early in the game, if he dies at the end, fine. But I want to play as him as well as Ellie and I want them to be out and about together.

OP
OP
SolidSnakex

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So that sounds like confirmation we won't play as Joel - at all.

That is very disappointing.

If we do play as Joel at some point then you can be absolutely certain that ND will never say anything that would make you think we will. I remember that they specifically requested reviewers to not even hint at Ellie being playable in the original. They did everything possible to keep what happens during Winter a secret.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so "love" is not how I would describe Joel's actions in the Last of Us.

He reminded me more of stalkers and abusers that I've known in real life.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't make Ellie kill Joel. Don't think I will be able to handle it.

Not like he wouldn't deserve it.

Okay so "love" is not how I would describe Joel's actions in the Last of Us.

He reminded me more of stalkers and abusers that I've known in real life.

This is lost on a lot of people but that is 100% why you don't play as him in the final scene. Sure he 'loves' her but it's a selfish 'love' that isn't at all actually about her.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I can totally see the game having Ellie go waaay too far in getting revenge, even if its justified and perhaps Joel tries to intervene or even stop her because he know's what that kind of anger and hate can do to a person better than she. Maybe the ending is almost a reversal of the first game with Ellie bold faced lying to Joel about something absolutely horrible that she obviously did and Joel just accepting it despite knowing its a lie. Or I'm just bull shitting.

This is too perfect. If it ends just like this it will have lived up to the hype. Except now you ruined it for me. :(

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I bet Joel is terminally ill with cancer or something. I bet it's that.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope said event isn't as simple as Joel or Dina dies in a horrific manner. I have faith in ND and their writers. Even if it was either of those, I wouldn't even be disappointed because they probably would have done it so well, lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Excellent interview. Very insightful answers.

Jan 11, 2018
Spot fucking on about how people complaining about two women kissing but perfectly fine with everything else that happens in the demo.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I thought of it but I couldn't bring myself to even type that out. I don't want him to die.

So he will most likely die

It's a good yet not cheap twist. From a player perspective you'd understand WHY Ellie would want revenge for the death of Dina but we don't know her nearly well enough. Our "rage" would just be channeled from Ellie. But kill Joel in that way? A person who we've been through so much with, care about. Now the player feels that true hate and rage the same way Ellie would. Yes more I think about this more I feel it makes sense. It feels like that kind of story druckman would write. It's about our emotions at the end of the day, Ellie is the conduit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was great.

Definitely the most interesting showing of this game so far.

Still wish they would edit actual trailers, though. So far we've only seen scenes and some gameplay.