• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
This part in particular was like ND flaunting just how good their tech/talent is

tloupii41sor.gif
GOD WHAT IN EARTH IS THIS
HOW

FML

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The cutscenes look VERY close though. Like, it's not that much of a difference.

And as a counterpoint: Lost Legacy definitely did.
Lost Legacy looked worse than UC4 imho, (the animation at least definitely showed the fast turnaround time), it's really the little things that made that original trailer vastly stand hands and shoulders above uc4, like the final game never touches this:
yibing-jiang-frank-tzeng-u4-teaser-screen4.jpg

interested to hear what upgrades they've made to the engine for this project specifically.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
That was too violent and graphic, I don't know why they'd pick a scene like this for promo showing. While first game had plenty violence, it wasn't into your face like this scene, that was hard to watch.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this.

Think this is a flashback of sorts. They also refer to the clickers etc as demons.

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people got uncomfortable with the hammer scene but that looked really fake and weird to me, like ND held back there.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Shot composition and camera work is super reminiscent of Kojima.

Legit thought this was Death Stranding up until the "clip her wings" part.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
That was too violent and graphic, I don't know why they'd pick a scene like this for promo showing. While first game had plenty violence, it wasn't into your face like this scene, that was hard to watch.
Joel or Ellie getting their neck ripped out by clickers wasn't in your face?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those mindsets that I don't follow. Would that person prefer it if the game treated violence against women and men differently? Wouldn't that be moving away from equality?

A couple of things, and a mixture overall. From people not liking seeing violence against women, even if it's known fantasy, and in the case of TLoU, it's one game where a female character takes a notable lead so more female gamers are possibly tuning into TLoU. As domestic violence is often faced more by females, some may have a lower threshold to visceral violence that pushes realism a bit too close to reality. Yes, TLoU is a very violent game, but as I said earlier the closer we get to uncanny valley levels of video game graphic realism, the more people may check out from playing. Even GoW 3 was stated to be too much for some.

While sex/nudity still tops the list for offending people, violence is up there

There were also clear gender differences, with women tending to be more offended by media violence than men. Men also reported being more desensitized to violence than women and also more likely to consider media violence to be a normal part of life. Religion seems to be another factor that can affect how people view media violence. Men reporting strong religious views were more likely to report being offended by violence in the media (while it doesn't appear to have been a factor for women).

As for specific reasons people tend to give for finding media violence offensive, they tended to focus on a few themes: being offended by how violence is often glamorized, regarding violence as inhumane, or empathy towards the victims. For many participants who denied feeling offended, the most common reason given was that the violence they were seeing tended to be unrealistic. Overall however, most participants were particularly offended by violence directed against women or children and are especially offended if they are watching this kind of violence with children or close family members present.

The most important point raised by Coyne et al. in discussing their findings is that how people view media violence depends on personal and situational factors that can shape whether they feel disgust or find it entertaining. In general, people continue to be more offended by sexual content and profanity than they are by violence, and the trend toward greater violence in the media isn't likely to reverse itself anytime soon. While more research is definitely needed, we have to understand the implications of this growing desensitization toward media violence and how it might affect the way people respond to violence in real life.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/media-spotlight/201611/why-are-we-offended-media-violence

Getting a lot of mileage out of the psychology today blog as of late, but hey, it does a decent job explaining some thought processes people end up displaying.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
ND with the all-star casting. Sony banking on the follow-up to be a massive success. I'm expecting it will be too.