• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Follow him on Twitter. His twitter handle is amazing.

https://twitter.com/bruce_straley

sd0doG6.png

Ex-Director... :( But! Bruce is now rediscovering his soul.

Neil is trying to shatter his even more

7dyHred.png

RIP

Because the trailer literally has torture in it, torture that is focused on for long periods of time. And presented without any sort of context to the audience because we spent the whole time speculating about what game it is. It's specifically a thread about presenting a game in such a manner and how that affects the perception of the medium as a whole.

Brought to the forefront because it's women, which is what I said would happen early on in this topic and I even linked to why people find it harder to stomach violence against women, let alone children. I doubt even Punished Druckmann will try to go after children. TLoU 3. He needs more punishment.

Deleted member 433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was hard to watch; but at the same time looks absolutely astounding on a technical level.

Don't really get the criticism of the violence when films have been doing this (and worse) for decades, video games should continue pushing boundaries like this if it helps tell an emotional story.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit that I've omitted the part where Bieber actually got praised by the critics and won artist of the year multiple times, in a "mainstream" context which is also the case for TLOU. Yet its not because it got praised everywhere / was successful that I like it, which is the part you started to attack. Now I'm telling you to kindly fuck off with your poor man attitude coupled to a superiority complex, thanks :)
Nothing you are saying has anythinfg to do with your gross hyperbole, and music <> games. A bad game doesn't sell, or review as well as TLOU. It's characterizations alone are better than any other dev out there. As for the rest of yuor attack...grow up man, it's a discussion. Beiber has not won many awards btw, what planet? Not like tlou, nor is it even relevant.

Oct 27, 2017
Mystery character looked A LOT like Ashley Johnson. Wouldn't be surprised if ND put her in the game as Ellie's mother or something. I doubt she's Ellie, unless they changed her face completely (wouldn't be the first time though)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense we play flashbacks as Ellie's Mother. Maybe they will explain why she's immune.

Methuselah

On Extended Hiatus
Oct 24, 2017
Please keep the conversation civil and respectful. If you can't do that then remove yourself from the thread and cool down a little.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
The scene is hard,very shocking, This game is going to be awesome.

Agreed. I'm seeing a lot of negativity in relation to the violence (also a lot referencing about the recent allegations against the studio) but I think the trailer is great. TLOU is bleak and disparaging and this trailer continues that trend. It's going to be an exhausting game from an emotional standpoint, much like the first one.

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me how those graphics are possible? That's so far ahead above U4 in terms of facial animation, animation, muscle deformation, lighting, rain effect, etc. That cant be running in real time in a 2013 hardware right? Honestly what they showed was something I would expect out of a ps5 launch title. Lol

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
That was a good trailer, considering how the state of world is in TLOU I wouldn't expect society within the game to improve, quite the opposite. I would expect it to be brutal, everything going to sh*t

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me how those graphics are possible? That's so far ahead above U4 in terms of facial animation, animation, muscle deformation, lighting, rain effect, etc. That cant be running in real time in a 2013 hardware right? Honestly what they showed was something I would expect out of a ps5 launch title. Lol
Them using real life scans of actual people certainly helped. But seriously this may be an example of them testing out tech that isn't feasible once the actual game has to be made.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Probably a cross gen PS4/PS5 game or very optimised for Pro? The Sony channel has a pro trailer.

warkki

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some of the violence was pretty hard to stomache but I really like the tense and dark nature of the trailer.

TLoU always used to be the game I proudly showed off to people to demonstrate how advanced and mature video games can be and by the looks of it it will be no different with the successor.

Swimmer98000

Oct 27, 2017
As fantastic as that showing was i'm concerned that they are showing a 6 minute cinematic when this game is likely still 2 years out.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's just the standard facial capture tech that used that was already used for UC4. That's what the camera view of their helmets looks like. What i'm referring to is this, where a specific setup is used for the head specifically after the body has been captured.

I guess they really aren't capturing faces and bodies at the same time anymore? :P Unless that model was only used as reference for character modeling.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
What really stood out to me was the reluctance of the character with the bow to help out the woman who was hanging after she assisted with her partner. It really reenforced how brutal this world is.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Just got around to watching the trailer now, I went back and forth the whole time on whether this was the The Last of Us or Days Gone.

Looks good, weirdly not super hyped for it yet though. Hopefully some game play at PSX or even just another trailer.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
The most violent and unsettling trailer or demo I can recall at a conference like this. But also a stunning technical showcase which leaves little doubt that ND will nail this sequel and take their craft to a new level.

Good grief Ellie was hulking there. I barely could watch the part where a knife was gently stuck against her stomach and it realistically deformed accordingly.

The fact that the visuals were so real in that scene speaks testament to the visual standard Naughty Dog wants TLOU 2 to be.

As dark and grim as it was, what i found very remarkable is how the boy was noticeably less detailed than Ellie herself. Ellie geniunely looked real. The boy? More like an import from an existing first gen engine.

This trailer just brings more questions to the table, but its all the better for it. TLOU was a great emotional game, and this right here seems to aim for even higher. Mighty impressed.

EDIT: Oh it WASNT Ellie i was seeing there? What teh fuck?

InkyBlack

Oct 29, 2017
I'm concerned about the brutality of the trailer without context. Like, we get it - TLOU is a really dark world - but we already know that. TLOU 1 is great because of the emotional depth of the characters, I got none of that from the trailer today. And there's others ways to show off your facial capture and cutscene tech.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What really stood out to me was the reluctance of the character with the bow to help out the woman who was hanging after she assisted with her partner. It really reenforced how brutal this world is.
It's not even reluctance. He just kinda doesn't help her.

That's just the standard facial capture tech that used that was already used for UC4. That's what the camera view of their helmets looks like. What i'm referring to is this, where a specific setup is used for the head specifically after the body has been captured.

That I don't know. I do know in that specific interview that I linked, I remember him saying that they're using some souped up version of facial capture that they used to use.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I guess they really aren't capturing faces and bodies at the same time anymore? :P Unless that model was only used as reference for character modeling.
Body double like how Senua's model was based off of real life scans of actors. You'll notice in that trailer that I linked that they captured face and body at the same time on set and then did separate recordings for the face specifically using a different setup and video games so expensive to make.... >>

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I'm concerned about the brutality of the trailer without context. Like, we get it - TLOU is a really dark world - but we already know that. TLOU 1 is great because of the emotional depth of the characters, I got none of that from the trailer today. And there's others ways to show off your facial capture and cutscene tech.
The main theme of this game is about revenge.