• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
aUnmzUq.png

SkmEy11.png

Next Gen Base - 10/10
The Last of Us Part 2 makes some bold moves. Whether it's from a story perspective or a gameplay one, Naughty Dog haven't been afraid to make some big leaps with this game. Fortunately, it's almost all for the better, and the result is a game that is as diverse as it is challenging, with visuals that I can't see being beaten until the new consoles hit, and a story that will raise some eyebrows but ultimately sticks the landing, in spite of how dark it can get. A magnificent example of what is capable in the medium of video games. We absolutely needed this sequel.

Spiel Times - 9/10
The lives of the sad, desperate characters featured in The Last of Us Part II are ripe with dramatic irony, blind to the hate and suffering their skewed senses of justice have created. That same irony can be found in the bizarre online slanging match bleeding into nearly every comment section and social media thread about this game, where spoiler-crazed keyboard warriors spew bile at a game they haven't played because of a story they've yet to experience. Perhaps the contents of this review are just another cry into the digital void, but I still implore you to make your own mind up about The Last of Us Part II. For my money, it's a thoughtful work, full of creativity, clever writing, and impressive game design. As it did seven years ago, The Last of Us is again offering a console generation its somber swan song. It's a hell of a tune.

IGN - 10/10
The Last of Us Part 2 is a masterpiece worthy of its predecessor. Taking strides forward in nearly every way, Ellie steps into the spotlight and carries the sequel in a manner that feels like the culmination of everything that's made Naughty Dog's blockbuster storytelling so memorable since the original Uncharted on the PlayStation 3. It delivers a layered, emotionally shattering story on top of stealth and action gameplay that improves the first game's mechanics while integrating a bit more of Uncharted's greater mobility and action. But while Part 2 is a thrilling adventure, it still makes time for a stunning, nuanced exploration of the strength and fragility of the human spirit. The PlayStation 4 has one of its best exclusives in one of the generation's best games.

GameSpot - 8/10
By the time I finished The Last of Us Part II, I wasn't sure if I liked it. It's a hard game to stomach, in part because so much of who Ellie is and what she does is beyond your control. She is deeply complicated and flawed, and her selfishness hurts a lot of people. At times, the pain you inflict feels so senseless that it can leave you numb. It's all messy and bleak and made me profoundly sad for myriad reasons, but the more I reflect on it, the more I appreciate the story and characters at its core. I wanted almost none of it to happen the way it did, and that's what's both beautiful and devastating about it.

Game Informer - 10/10
I can rave about the attention to detail, the world, and the combat, but the story is where The Last of Us Part II sets a new bar. It is more about challenging your heart than your reflexes, and I simply cannot recommend it enough. There is much to be said about this game that can't be said here due to spoilers, but you should play it as soon as you can with as little info as possible. But you don't need to know specifics to appreciate how the gameplay and environmental cues all play into a single purpose: They make you feel the choices, helplessness, and the violence at the heart of this world and its characters. I can safely say this is the best narrative game I have played. I felt the loss. I felt the confusion. It is a game that turned me inside out with each twist of the screw.

Press Start Australia - 9.5/10
Though it's destined to displease those who built Ellie and Joel up as infallible, as an observation of impermanence, tribalism and the terrible cycle of violence that exists at the centre of what's left of the human experience in this world. The Last of Us Part II is a spectacular sequel, it's a brave and unexpected direction for the series, expanding on the world both narratively and mechanically, producing a far sounder and rounded experience that never falters or gets in the way of the game's clear storytelling strength.

Telegraph - 5/5
For while it inevitably lacks that first game's shock of the new, it instead trades on the player's familiarity with its characters and their backstories to take them somewhere equally unexpected. And while it may lose its focus a little in the penultimate reels, Last of Us II eventually lands an emotional punch that will be felt long after the credits roll.

USGamer - 4.5/5
The Last of Us Part 2 is an outstanding action game; a darker, more introspective follow-up that seeks to challenge the conventions of big-budget action games. In this it's not always successful, but its execution is impeccable, and its story proves an appropriate bookend to the story of Joel and Ellie. In short, it's some of Naughty Dog's best work.

Push Square - 10/10
The Last of Us: Part II adds a couple more inches to the already outrageously high bar that Naughty Dog has set for itself. This is the developer's crowning achievement to date, expanding and improving upon the concepts that it's been iterating on for over a decade now. Unparalleled presentation combines with an engaging gameplay loop that puts you in the shoes of its characters – and forces you to feel all of the tension and misgivings of its cast. It's uncomfortable and not everyone will necessarily enjoy its direction, but that's ultimately what makes it so essential.

VG247 - 10/10
When the credits rolled on The Last of Us Part 2 I was still buzzing from the excitement of the final few hours. My loyalty shifted between characters. I grew to love who I hated and dislike who I loved. I laughed, I teared up. I felt anger and elation. It's the new high water mark for video game characters and I can't wait for everyone to see just how special it is. As soon as it ended, I booted up New Game Plus and I'm experiencing it again with my eyes open, the context of the finished story imprinting new meaning into those early scenes and characters. I'm not swiping in the dark anymore.

GamesRadar+ - 5/5
Naughty Dog's PS4 swansong is an astonishing, absurdly ambitious epic that goes far and beyond what we could have imagined for a sequel to an all-time classic.

The Guardian - 5/5
This is an unlikely comparison, but now that I've had some time to absorb The Last of Us Part II, it reminds me thematically of Shadow of the Colossus, another game about how consuming grief and anger can be. I was similarly poleaxed by that game's clever manipulation of the player's power, the way it also used the language of video games to make you think twice about your actions. The Last of Us Part II is another story that could only work as a game, the kind of challenging, groundbreaking work that comes along two or three times a decade.

Kotaku - Unscored
It's difficult to talk about all of this a week before most of you reading can play the game for yourself. In a recent fawning piece in British GQ, Druckmann is quoted as saying, "There were people [at Naughty Dog]—a minority of them—that were just stuck on how violent it [the game] is and how dark and quite cynical it is about mankind." That even the people who made the game are divided about it is a clear sign that players are going to have radically different experiences. The first game's story was polarizing; this one's will clearly be as well. So many people worked on this game for so long, and at such cost, that I want The Last Of Us II to be more than the experience I had. It's a visually beautiful game that feels distinct to play, and the story it tells and how it tells it, at the most basic level, certainly pushes the edges of what games have done before. None of those accomplishments elevated or redeemed it for me. Like the nature consuming Seattle, or the outbreak consuming humanity, its ugliness overshadowed everything else.

Eurogamer -
Essential
The thing that really struck me - and pleasantly surprised me, coming as it does from a developer so transparently in love with the language of cinema - is that The Last of Us Part 2's power is wholly unique to it being a video game. There is a special kind of empathy that develops between a player and a game protagonist that no other medium can reproduce. It's this bond that Druckmann and his team have exploited to such devastating effect. It is a sad and timely reminder of the simultaneous importance and impossibility of living someone else's experience. Play it, and listen.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe it's only a week away. We're almost there.

Excited to see the scores when I wake up.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to spoil anything, but the "Part II" in the title suggests that it is the sequel to "Part I".

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Embargo is up in 3 hours. Wow. Though it'd be in the morning. Ususally it's like 6am my time or something.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
94. Overall glowing reviews, but a couple reviewers won't like the story or feel uncomfortable with the violence and that will bring it down a bit.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We will hear the quote "better than citizen kane" in 4 hours

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Can't wait for this to be universally praised across the board until someone gives it a 7, and the fans become enraged enough to uproot a mighty Sequoia