• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
JUST GIVING A HEADS UP WARNING FOR THE BRUTAL GIFS AND PICTURES BELOW

There have been many games where violence has been pushed to the very edge. One of the most brutal games I've witnessed this gen was Mortal Kombat 10. This is the first game since Manhunt that made me cringe in so many ways, but the difference between MK10 and Manhunt is that I was intrigued to see more brutal fatalities from other characters while Manhunt was disturbing even with its PS2 visuals. The reason for wanting to see more was because Mortal Kombat's brutal fatalities were always entertaining to watch throughout the years.
tumblr_ml0122WrEf1qe89guo1_500.gif

CleverIllustriousBarnowl-small.gif

At times it can be viewed as not taking itself seriously and taking a stylized approach with its violence. Mortal Kombat 10's graphics aren't jaw-dropping in a realistic way compared to other games this gen even if the fatalities made me cringe a lot with its over the top violence. Also, Mortal Kombat 10 has intro dialogues where characters go through funny interactions before a fight which is where most of the comedy comes from. This is one of the reason's why I don't take the game too seriously when it displays gruesome finishers.

They're other violent games that were brutal this gen such as 2016's Doom. Doom has some very brutal death animations, but just like Mortal Kombat 10, I view it as stylized and entertaining to the point where I want to see more.
Doom has amazing visuals, but nothing on a realistic approach like TLOU2. Dooms death animations are fun to watch and I can't wait to see more of what Doom Eternal has in store.

Now, I'm not making this thread saying that The Last of Us 2 is more violent than Mortal Kombat 10, Doom, Dead Space, Wolfenstein, God of War 3, or any other crazy violent game out there. Far from it. It's the approach Naughty Dog has taken to make it look more real than those games and that has made people feel either uncomfortable or excited because of it. What makes the Last of Us 2 violence look real is the visuals, groundedness, details in the faces, and animations. To me, games and even movies that take the grounded approach with violence are obviously more real compared to supernatural, sci-fi, and other things. The visuals and character models for the Last of Us 2 is probably the best I've ever seen this gen. So, when you incorporate that with the grounded approach, it's almost like you're watching a real person go through pain or death. Not to mention the animations are easily the best this gen that I've seen so far. Also, the TLOU is a harsh and brutal world. It doesn't settle for comedy unless there's a quiet moment to lighten up the mood like Ellie's pun book, but you never get a sense that it's forced.

When looking at this woman here, you really feel like she's going through pain.
pjRJkQa.jpg

With this one, the detail and animation on the face really sell it that she's preparing to get hit with the hammer.
The wrinkles in the forhead, the grimace in the face, makes the facial expression look very real. Again, with the groundedness of The Last of Us 2 and incredible visuals, it feels believable.
oDErIXH.gif

Probably the most disturbing scene from The Last of Us 2 is the part when the Asian woman got her wings clipped.
You have to understand how real that looks and feels. It makes me cringe very hard to this day. The visuals, animations, and sound effects, definitely the sound effects really sell this cutscene. Like you can feel the impact. It's a hard scene to watch and can be very unsettling for people.

The gunshot to the face displayed in the E3 2018 gameplay is without a doubt the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game. When the NPC gets shot in the face and you actually see the bullet hole and blood dripping down to the floor. Her eyes roll in the back of her head as she slowly closes them.

For this, the way the NPC on the right reacts to the explosion is so fluid. The gameplay animation is good enough to be viewed as a cutscene and the way the environment reacts behind him when he gets the machete to the head is really nice. It's like everything is moving which again makes it very believable.
The combat is very fluid so it looks real when Ellie is swinging the hammer so desperately.

This has to be without a doubt the best realistic looking NPC I've ever seen in a game thanks to the facial animation and movement.
The gameplay shot in full motion.
This is freaking cutscene quality happening in gameplay. I don't know how Naughty Dog is pulling this off. The realism is displayed here as you can see this man is fighting the pain determined to hit Ellie until the arrows were too much for him to handle as they stick to his body. The animation on his face as he reacts when Ellie fires an arrow at him is very realistic.
YFFP314.gif

This is a shot from the very first teaser when Naughty Dog was showing off their updated engine in early development on the PS4.
PbeNOJK.png

When I first saw this shot, I didn't pay too much attention to it, but the more I looked at it the more I started to realize just how real it looks for a video game. The detail of this old rusty bathroom with blood everywhere. It looks like a real dead person.

What Naughty Dog is doing with its visuals, animations, and groundedness approach to violence in TLOU2, it looks and feels very real to me that no other game has ever done before. Again, I'm not saying it is more violent than other games that try to go over the top with its violence, but it is more real to me. The most violent game I've ever witness is Manhunt. Even with its PS2 graphics, the animations were really damn good and I think that sells the brutality of what it was trying to achieve. Not to mention the main character going waaay over the top to murder people in the worst possible ways, it felt unsettling to me. But because of its graphics, you knew it was a video game. With TLOU2, its visuals are pushed way beyond anything I've seen this gen. With the first TLOU game, it had a stylized look during its cutscenes. With this one, they are taking a more realistic approach to its visuals and to really give off that post-apocalyptic look in Seattle.

I don't view the violence in the TLOU2 as a negative, I view as a form of art. What gaming is capable of achieving with console hardware or on a PC.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The thing with MK was that it was always comical in its gruesomeness, but it's gotten kind of nasty lately. I'm honestly not sure how they keep making it more and more gross as the series goes on, haha.

The violence in TLOU2 is definitely... more realistic and cringe-inducing (not in the stupid internet way) and it's all because it looks more realistic. I swear if they were to animate MK fatalities in TLOU2 it'd be freaking awful and there'd be cries in the streets from concerned, well, everyone.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
The initial E3 reveal thread worried me because there were a lot of people posting their disdain for the violence due to the realism. I would never want Naughty Dog to compromise their vision of this dystopian universe because there were people saying the violence looked too realistic.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Truly Naughty God's. Neil's comments on violence and the theme of hate in this game have me really excited for where the story goes

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The initial E3 reveal thread worried me because there were a lot of people posting their disdain for the violence due to the realism. I would never want Naughty Dog to compromise their vision of this dystopian universe because there were people saying the violence looked too realistic.
It's just realistic vioence. How is that violence a vision of a dystopian future?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The realism of the extreme violence depicted is too much for me. Even though I am such a sucker for polished visuals in games, I will have to take a pass on this. :/

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I hope it pushes the gore and brutality to the max. I want this game to make killing feel uncomfortable.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw this shot, I didn't pay too much attention to it, but the more I looked at it the more I started to realize just how real it looks for a video game. The detail of this old rusty bathroom with blood everywhere. It looks like a real dead person.
I love how her legs and neck are bent, that's a detail never see in another video game. Usually corpses are just kinda positioned in a way that looks fake but there it truly looks like a person died and then fell in that awkward position.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
There are at least two or three other threads that already exist about this one subject.

Also, I can't empathize with this idea. I can tell what is reality and what's not, and I can tell that the thing happening on the screen is not reality.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
It's just realistic vioence. How is that violence a vision of a dystopian future?

The game is meant to be a realistic portrayal of life where resources are scarce and there are monsters at every corner.

Toning down the violence due to the realism of the graphics would IMO be compromising the vision that Naughty Dog has for this game and their updated engine. No one in this thread is making that argument that they want that (at least not yet?); it just appeared that way in the initial E3 gameplay reveal.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ND has perhaps the most talented entertainment artists in the world. I can't wait to play this game just to see what they're capable of as they continue to step their game up.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There are at least two or three other threads that already exist about this one subject.

Also, I can't empathize with this idea. I can tell what is reality and what's not, and I can tell that the thing happening on the screen is not reality.
You should want to be able to tell IMO. It might be impressive graphically but representing reality to the point where your game might be material pulled from Ogreish is bland as far as any art direction goes.

At least there are mushroom monsters I guess.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, the goalpost is always advancing and we become more desensitized to the violence over time as a result. You'll cringe for a while, but you'll be fine, eventually.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Great. This is necessary for gaming to continue to push the boundary of what's possible to experience in an interactive medium.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If your idea of art is limited to emulating reality then maybe.

Just because a game is trying to look realistic doesn't mean it isn't art . Before a single code is typed there are tons of story board and conept art that the game will end up taking shape from. If you don't think Naughty Dog has some of the best artist and animators in the industry then I don't know what to say. They are pretty clearly a step above.

And I just don't get games sometimes. We have thousands upon thousands of games that embellishes and ramanticizes violence to the point we turn off our brain and just murder everything indistriminantly and we don't bat an eyelid to the vuolence we purpertrate on screen and one game comes along and shows violence for what it is, ugly, desperate, dirty and shocking, and people get all bent out of shape. Murdering someone, for whatever reason, isn't supposed to feel good, unless you are a psychopath.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think moments of close quarters and melee combat will make people cringe but the gunplay will still possess that same "oh shit, this is satisfying and fun." I didn't cringe at the gory dismemberment caused by the explosive arrow but the stabbing with entrails hanging was like, eh/mmm/ew.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking hyperbole surrounding this studio, Jesus Christ...

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easily the best looking game I've ever seen and will probably be the game that pushes me to get a PS4 Pro (or the next gen PS5 if it launches with that)

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm risking my account by saying this since I'm going to be attacked from all the directions.

Naughty Dog is one of my top three favorite studios, but I'm feeling they are exceeding expectations in the visual approach but lacking in the game design concept.

Off course this is their first gameplay for the new entry, but.... despite the visual WOW factor, it looks a bit of the same.

My comment doesn't put them in the worst spot in the world, but for such an amazing studio I wish they could challenge themselves a lot more.

Oct 28, 2017
It's the reason I'll never play it. It's one of the only time gameplay doesn't trump graphics. I'm sure it will play awesome and it looks stunning but there comes a point where the violence is too much for me to control.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get this post.

You can tell something looks real but still understand it's not real.
The level of artistry on display in the above image is mind blowing, it totally feels like it's a creature that's flesh and bone that doesn't look fake next to the actors. And yet I know I'm watching a movie called Star Wars, that's not real.

All the animations in The Last of Us II look extremely real since pretty much no other studio is doing what they are doing. They make them feel like real because but I still understand that come it's release, I will be sitting on a chair and hitting buttons to make 1s and 0s move around.

You're never going to forget you're not playing a video game or watching a movie, that's not the point and if you did, I'd be worried.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
That wing clipping scene was I think the first time video game violence has made me look away from the screen. Shit was brutal. The bullet to the face is also hard to watch.

El_Guy86

Aug 27, 2018
California
The animations for ND games have always been incredible. I legit felt bad after choking out an NPC in TLOU, after watching him struggle and squirm around trying to get me off of him. They're great at using little touches like that to help in telling the story and building their worlds.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When their eyes roll back after she lodges the hammer in their skulls... ooof I dunno :s

Oct 30, 2017
ND is seriously the best studio in the industry... a real masters when it comes to create games and raise the standards so high that only THEM can break it.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
That doesn't like super realistic or anything mind blowing. Looks like video games violence to me but pretty. ND fans just need some excuse just to talk about how great ND.

I think Cyberpunk will far exceed Tlou 2 in terms violence and graphics fidelity.

Also we don't if Tlou2 demo was real or fake scripted for e3. I will not surprised if it's downgraded when running on actual ps 4 hardware just like UC3, 4 were downgraded on release..

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I can't wait to see this fully realized in a game. I'm not sensitive to this stuff no matter how disgusting it is. It's still just a video game.

I hope they compromise nothing because of people's feelings. I don't think that's even possible with Druckmann though. He's the only director I've seen being outspoken about not bending on your creative vision because of what other people say.