• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
"The Last of Us which commences photography this week is indeed a monster," Petti said. "It has five art directors and employs an army of hundreds of technicians. It has had six months of prep and shoots (in Alberta) for 12 months."

Petti couldn't confirm the budget, rumoured to be in the hundreds of millions.

"I cannot confirm the official budget numbers but will say it is likely the largest project shooting in Canada," he said, in an email to CTV News.

That money is being spent in-province, providing Alberta small businesses with a boost coming out of the pandemic.

"This project well exceeds the eight figure per episode mark," he said, "so there is a multiplier effect on our economy in terms of its impact. There are hundreds of related businesses benefitting from the plethora of work."

Per IATSE 212 President Damian Petti

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
I mean, I kinda love that they are going all in with this, everything sounds fantastic so far.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Daaaaaaayummn! Can't wait for this show and seeing how they mix things up. They got Santaolalla on board too for the soundtrack.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it is good! I liked watching the Witcher on netflix but couldn't help but think it was a bit of a mess that found its footing as it went along.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Is this a one off season or is the show spread over multiple seasons? With that budget I'm getting a one and done vibe.
Or maybe they'll film it over one year but split it into multiple seasons.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
12 months of shooting? Goddamn...

Is that normal for TV shows?
For a major show like this, it's not unheard of. Game Of Thrones took it to the extreme. Lost, BSG, etc etc etc etc all had big schedules, with bigger episode counts even.

HBO is clearly investing a lot of money, but also has very high expectations here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
8 figures per episode is insane given this is a grounded setting even with the post apocalyptic and zombie shit, they are really going all in if this is true.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its a show that's gonna need a lot of locations, set decorations, voiced actors, and a fuck bunch of extras, not even talking about the cgi work that's gonna be needed

they're basically starting out where GoT ended, budget-wise

Oct 27, 2017
Weird how this stalled as a potential movie and then went straight to an HBO show with that kind of budget. They even had a game of thrones alum attached to the movie.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

6cbe9eb8c8d1ee3017546c26e3ca10df45470137.gif

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought this was going to be one of those video game adaptations that was going to be in development hell forever. kind of weird to see HBO actually going whole hog on it

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
No way are spending 100 mil per episode that would be crazy. I can see them doing 12 months of shooting so they can do each season be literally a different season of the year.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
idk despite all this im still not excited about it. TLOU was great game. I dont think it needed a TV series. Esp after how most game adaptations are not good. while im not excited, i do want it to be good.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely has the potential to be the biggest show in the world it they pull it off right.