• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
qNQe6fN.jpg

The Army Nurses Memorial by Bela Pratt at the Massachusetts State House, compared to a shot from The Last of Us Remastered in the same location. All pictures in this post were taken by me unless otherwise indicated. A backup of my personal blog version of this post can be found here, in case anything happens to Imgur or this post somehow, though it is intended to be read here on ResetEra.

I beat The Last of Us Remastered last night in preparation for tonight's launch of The Last of Us Part II. While playing the game I remembered that I had actually been to some of the locations featured in it, specifically Boston. I decided to go through my old pictures and videos I took there back in September 2012, nine months before The Last of Us originally launched in June 2013, and compare them to my playthrough. This post isn't meant to be all-encompassing, and focuses only on my own experience. There are other posts out there you can find if you search for real life comparisons for The Last of Us that cover other parts of the game.

Please note that from this point forward I will be discussing specific locations in The Last of Us, one of which involves a major story spoiler. It will not be marked separately.

Locations in The Last of Us aren't 1:1 accurate, nor are they meant to be, but some areas more closely match real-life than others. The real-life pictures you see are from shots I took on my trip to Boston with my brother in September 2012. The events in Boston in the game take place in the summer of 2033, so nearly 21 years have passed since the Cordyceps Brain Infection (CBI) pandemic began.

We'll start off with probably my favorite comparison, and one of the more accurate depictions of a location in the game. One of the key early set pieces in The Last of Us is the Massachusetts State House, referred to in the game as the Capitol Building. Joel and Tess are given the task of bringing Ellie there to hand her off to the Fireflies, a rebel group who are going to take her to a hospital in Utah for study in hopes of developing a vaccine for CBI, since Ellie has been shown to be immune to the disease. They arrive there to find the Fireflies dead, leading to Tess revealing that she herself has become infected. The soldiers that have been chasing the group since they absconded from the quarantine zone arrive, and Tess stays back to give Joel and Ellie time to escape. Tess is quickly gunned down, and Joel and Ellie make their way through the State House in hopes of finding a safe exit.

B00IC4z.jpg

Nurses' Hall is the first room Joel and Ellie enter after separating from Tess. I said this is my favorite comparison before, and that's because the photo I took is a very similar angle to this shot I took from my playthrough of the game, as shown at the top of this post.

wYBK672.jpg

The Army Nurses Memorial by Bela Pratt at the Massachusetts State House, located in Nurses' Hall.​

The developers made some changes to the design of the stairs, though the layout is still the same. The key thing here though is the Army Nurses Memorial by Bela Pratt on the right. Notice how it has decayed over the years in The Last of Us.

MmzV3WG.jpg

The Army Nurses Memorial by Bela Pratt at the Massachusetts State House, located in Nurses' Hall.​

Up the stairs in the same room you can get a closer look at the murals on the wall, which have completely changed from real life, though some of the design of the wall itself is maintained along with the ceiling lights being similar.

hxuC5HR.jpg

pjqcNqS.jpg

Murals by Robert Reid at the Massachusetts State House in Nurses' Hall.

Here is the entrance room where Tess dies. They kept some of the archways and the design on the floor is similar. I mostly only have video of this room in real life.

uZMdK1T.jpg

GxVuzzF.jpg

Now let's look at the outside area near the main entrance of the State House. On your way there you can see this large building to the left, which I believe to be a combination of the Old North Church, also known as Christ Church, and Park Street Church, with the clock matching the latter. Notice how the top portion of the building is closer to that of the Old North Church.

K7xHCfe.jpg

Across the street from the State House is the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial monument by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, portraying the Union Army officer alongside members of the all-black 54th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. I recommend watching the 1989 film Glory if you haven't seen it yet!

h2TBfBU.jpg

JKS4NQj.jpg

Past that is a dilapidated swan boat, which you can see a distant comparison of from a screencap I took of my video of Public Garden in Boston.

CLEcPGb.jpg

Hl9psVI.jpg

And finally, let's check out the exterior of the Massachusetts State House!

ga9EosH.jpg

rRWRalD.jpg

5qhdLrs.jpg

v7Qcg0D.jpg

The entrance post is very similar, though the font and spacing is different, and the fence at the very front is now gone. The spacing of the columns on the building is pretty similar as well, though it seems there may be more space in between them in the game. The top of the dome is also different and is missing its top piece. The statues out front were completely changed.

And that's all the photos I have that are worth comparing. Have you been to any of the locations in The Last of Us? Feel free to share your stories and photos below!

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I truly never realized those segments from the game are based on real buildings and locations. That's very cool. It makes sense of course, but for some reason it never clicked in my mind that they'd reproduce real parks, buildings and interiors.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I live in Massachusetts and have been to the public garden a lot. The Last of Us version of course looks a lot more depressing though.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread!

When I first played the game I had no idea that it was partially set in Boston. I was blown away. As someone who grew up here and has been riding the subway regularly for most of my life, this was the part that stuck with me the most.

aHKAFGN.jpg

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for helping me to pass the time until Part II unlocks with this awesome thread.

I just replayed TLOU1 and it's wild seeing this locations in real life. I never knew the in game locations had such close IRL counterparts.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Could probably do the same with Salt Lake City at the end! Really great representation of the locations, super cool.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Great thread!

When I first played the game I had no idea that it was partially set in Boston. I was blown away. As someone who grew up here and has been riding the subway regularly for most of my life, this was the part that stuck with me the most.

This felt the most recognizable to me too, as a habitual Red Line-r

Remember an I-93 sign too..

OP
OP
VirtuaModel

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you all for your kind words! I've been working on this post all day while I wait for Part II to unlock. I'm going to go finish the Left Behind DLC, but I'll check back in later!

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lovely idea for a thread. Can't wait for part 2. Hoping for either Spider-Man comparisons or Bugsnax.

OP
OP
VirtuaModel

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot for sharing!

I didn't know the game would let you go back down to Tess' body, oof
I never even thought of trying that because of the urge to gtfo at the start of that scene. Now I need to see next time if Joel says something.

It was my third time playing the game and I never tried either before. The blood textures seem a little off on her as if you weren't supposed to be that close. I was playing on Easy and let the enemies bust through the door and killed them all before letting them separate. I didn't hear any extra dialogue, even though I was kind of expecting to.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This is great -- thanks for putting in the effort! Makes me appreciate the details even more.