• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
This game is Def miles easier, I remember having trouble just doing some of the bases and I'm steam rolling them. Hilarious when you get 3 turns using gae blog in a row. Then another unit comes out and you wonder why they would even bother.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
This game is Def miles easier, I remember having trouble just doing some of the bases and I'm steam rolling them. Hilarious when you get 3 turns using gae blog in a row.
This happened to me sometimes in the PC version: sometimes the RNG (or other factors?) would just give me a ton of ults and I'd spam them till everyone died. I will say the bases get quite a bit easier once you fight the boss that gives Torgal Lugh's Revenge. That thing tends to proc like crazy.

The beginning of the game was still pretty difficult at least. Even at a low BR (5-6), the Fiery Idol gave me several unlucky Game Overs because at that point in the game you have two guest Unions that don't always do the smartest thing. It got quite a bit easier from there, though.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me sometimes in the PC version: sometimes the RNG (or other factors?) would just give me a ton of ults and I'd spam them till everyone died. I will say the bases get quite a bit easier once you fight the boss that gives Torgal Lugh's Revenge. That thing tends to proc like crazy.

The beginning of the game was still pretty difficult at least. Even at a low BR (5-6), the Fiery Idol gave me several unlucky Game Overs because at that point in the game you have two guest Unions that don't always do the smartest thing. It got quite a bit easier from there, though.

Yeah I think lughs revenge has popped up every fight so far at some point thousand flowers doesn't pop up much. Rng is massive in this game though. Fought those 3 tested birds in sidequest and they wrecked me. Didn't even bother changing formations or anything and battered em the second time. So it's mostly luck based at end of the day.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Thousand Flowers only triggers when Emmys union is at low health. It also doesn't provide the dodge immunity other special arts do, so it's a very high risk / high reward move!

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Another 3 gae bolgs in a row on the ladies of bloody Alice quest which is usually pretty hard :D

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I've shifted Dave out of a leadership position so that Torgal gets his weapon art to trigger. My Rush has two arcana and caustic blast to nuke battlefields!

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I actually havent used it much. With the way experience works, Rush deleting every unit on the battlefield with caustic blast really lowered everyone else's skill gains. I'm just using it for battles where I've over pulled stuff, or boss fights. Seems to level up fairly fast regardless as it's at skill level 3 already.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say getting Rush to warlock is going to be impossible in a single run. He's not even a Thaumaturge yet and I'm pre Underwalt. Obviously there's tons of content left, but grinding up hexes and Psionics to the point where he can cast those arcana is going to be tough!

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the three posts, but if anyone has an answer for this question I'd be really grateful.

How the hell is Rush gaining remedy arts when I have them completely switched off? Repeatedly? I'm trying to get him to change from Bishop to Thaumaturge, so purely using Evocation skills to make them his highest skill. Yet somehow he's gained two skill ups for Revitalise, taking it to Rank, without casting a single remedy skill in probably 15 battle ranks?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the fallen at br80. That was quite the difficulty spike. Was down to one union left with like 30 hp on turn 9.
Irina
David and Roberto. Dodged it's attack, got a chain attack and finished it with Her unique art. Talk about last gasp. Easy sailing now until the last boss I suppose.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a bump but I do hope the game is doing well. I just finished it today and it was a blast to play all these years later since the XBox360 release. The PC improvements really make the game so much more fun and balanced. Auto save is a necessity for this game! The updated graphics are fantastic and aside from the odd inclusion of compressed XBox360 cutscenes, the game certainly competes with today's graphics.

Just as a warning to newcomers but this game is HARD. Have Rush and David develop Mystic Arts from the get go so once they learn Caustic Blast, you will have a much easier time with big battles.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the absolute conqueror. He showed up and annihilated everyone in one hit. Time to grind

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered but if I grinded BR to 70, would I have destroyed the final boss? I cleared it at 57 but it wasn't easy. The game makes you so paranoid about BR screwing your over lol

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
So I've beaten the fallen, managed to switch Rush over to a Thaumaturge, and generally having a whale of a time finishing off guild quests and getting ready for dlc bosses.

However, there is still one issue about the Arts levelling system, I do not understand, and can find no explanation for anywhere on the wiki or forums. Rush has Kiss of Life at level 3 - it has upgraded twice following combat. Rush has never *once* even tried to cast Kiss of Life, nevermind actually get to use it. Never as an order, never by reassessment. That should be impossible according to my understand of how arts develop and how the wiki outlines the process. Once you learn an art by developing your skill level to a certain point, they then upgrade through experience gain by using the ability in battle.

How is Rush gaining skill levels for abilities he has never once even thought about using?

EDIT: Found it. If the 5% mystic chance occurs, and there are no arts actually available for upgrading, there is a 5% chance that a random art will be upgraded and the experience level of that art retroactively increased to match the new level. So basically there's a minuscule chance each battle for this to happen (0.25%), and its randomly selected Kiss of Life twice in a row when this happens. Bizarre!

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Ranked up to 101 and tried the conqueror again. All 4 of my unions are 9999hp got him down to less than 20% and even though all at full health he killed me in one shot with war god. He was so easy until his cheap ass did that.

Edit: Platinum get. He only used war god once the second time I fought him. And it didn't do a thing cos of orphic ward I suppose. Easy win especially with some namul niram tanking the fuck out of him, didn't even get any weapon arts.

Fitting I destroyed him with Emmys thousand flowers though.

Last edited:

Roukou87

Jan 27, 2019
Woohoo, I finally finished up the True Conqueror trophy, so that is two more trophies left for the platinum, 200 chain and 500 monster dismantles.

Below are two videos on my battles with The Lost and True Conqueror, enjoy (I fought The Lost first to unlock Trident Formation for the True Conqueror):

The Lost (4 Turns) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4g3Iu129Zo

True Conqueror (Level 8) (11 Turns) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdk_NvBXkQ

Let me know what you think of them, haha. Went well enough for my very first try fighting them, though Jager saved the day and not Duke of Ghor in the second battle.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Woohoo, I finally finished up the True Conqueror trophy, so that is two more trophies left for the platinum, 200 chain and 500 monster dismantles.

Below are two videos on my battles with The Lost and True Conqueror, enjoy (I fought The Lost first to unlock Trident Formation for the True Conqueror):

The Lost (4 Turns) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4g3Iu129Zo

True Conqueror (Level 8) (11 Turns) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdk_NvBXkQ

Let me know what you think of them, haha. Went well enough for my very first try fighting them, though Jager saved the day and not Duke of Ghor in the second battle.
Fuck me you levelled up the right way I had no idea what I was doing. I beat him in 34 turns lol

Roukou87

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck me you levelled up the right way I had no idea what I was doing. I beat him in 34 turns lol

Haha, yeah, I went on a low BR run and trained my stats at Lavafender, followed by Yvalmock Nest, and finally Ancient Ruins. I was pretty much all powered up for all party members by BR 75. Combine that with all maxed out weapons, and this was the result.

That last part of the Rank 8 battle was quite a beauty, wasn't it? One 400k damage turn by Rush's union, and two perfect counters by Jager's union followed by his Schiavona.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
My normal run is coming to an end. BR 110 ish, done half of the DLC including finishing the Ancient Ruins. Have to say the changes they made to weapon upgrading for the PC version make an already painful grind far worse. Some of the materials needed, and the guild quests to even unlock them dropping, are just way way too rare. Getting 8 bristly dragon manes for Torgal just isn't happening...

Still love the game, but God's it could have done with some QoL improvements. The spawning system for Rares is bizarre, and the opaqueness of the upgrade system is challenging to say the least.

Edit: did get one of the enlightened seven in my party though, the old guy. Replaced Irina because she wasn't actually doing much for me, and I really wanted to use one of them!

Also could have Rush as a warlock if I wanted, but actually that class is significantly worse than Thaumaturge for normal magic use...

Patch notes - v1.01

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Patch 1.01 has just been released. Patch notes according to sunzi from gamefaqs...

Fixed an issue where certain trophies were not unlocking even when meeting the necessary criteria.

Fixed an issue where character stat increases after battle were not being displayed in the UI. These increases were correctly reflected in actual in-game calculations, and this was purely a display issue.

There are still a few issues that need to be fixed. Some area of effect (AoE) attacks such as caustic blast and thunderbreath are hitting unions outside of what the spell's radius is supposed to be. Caustic blast specifically is hitting pretty much everything. So if you use it you'll hit almost every enemy union or every enemy union, and it goes the same for if an enemy uses it against you. Seems this is likely a result of moving from UE3 to UE4 and certain things scaled incorrectly.

Also, apparently some enemies' movement outside of battle is a bit bugged. Also, iit'd be nice to get the PC's "Depth of Field" max setting where enemies can be seen from anywhere when traveling through areas/dungeons outside of battle so they don't just "pop up" within view once you get within a certain distance of them on screen.

Otherwise though, this is a great remaster of the PC version and it runs beautifully at 60fps on the Pro with noticeable drops on the regular PS4.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Whoa, I'm kinda surprised this got patched. After complete silence from Square throughout all of January, I really figured this project was on a "release it and forget it" sort of budget. (Then again, I guess the inevitable PC version is still in the pipeline, so it makes sense that they were able to fix a thing or two...)

A couple more things still need to be addressed, though. Maybe it's just me, but enemies don't seem to respond as well to being aggroed by Rush's "let's DO this!" pull. Some take a while to respond at all, while it seems like other enemies veer off. In the PC version, foes you angered in the field would follow you endlessly. I might be misremembering that (it's been a while...), but I dunno.

There are still a few issues that need to be fixed. Some area of effect (AoE) attacks such as caustic blast and thunderbreath are hitting unions outside of what the spell's radius is supposed to be. Caustic blast specifically is hitting pretty much everything. So if you use it you'll hit almost every enemy union or every enemy union, and it goes the same for if an enemy uses it against you. Seems this is likely a result of moving from UE3 to UE4 and certain things scaled incorrectly.
I noticed this as well. Some moves that were previously supposed to hit only one union now sometimes hit several, or everyone. Thanks to this recent surprise patch, I still hold a little hope that this will be addressed in some way.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Whoa, I'm kinda surprised this got patched. After complete silence from Square throughout all of January, I really figured this project was on a "release it and forget it" sort of budget. (Then again, I guess the inevitable PC version is still in the pipeline, so it makes sense that they were able to fix a thing or two...)

A couple more things still need to be addressed, though. Maybe it's just me, but enemies don't seem to respond as well to being aggroed by Rush's "let's DO this!" pull. Some take a while to respond at all, while it seems like other enemies veer off. In the PC version, foes you angered in the field would follow you endlessly. I might be misremembering that (it's been a while...), but I dunno.

I noticed this as well. Some moves that were previously supposed to hit only one union now sometimes hit several, or everyone. Thanks to this recent surprise patch, I still hold a little hope that this will be addressed in some way.

I don't know how long the PS4-exclusive deal is, but I wouldn't be surprised if the development team has already started to work on porting the game to PC and will fix the glitches mentioned above along the way, with another PS4 patch coming out in the next few months (hopefully not any longer than that). Again too I'd love for the PS4 Pro version to get the PC version's max field of view option so enemies can be viewed from waaaay far away and don't just pop up after you get within a certain distance of them, although the PS4 version seems to be better than the 360 version but i could be wrong and they may be the same.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the remaster is arguably worse than the PC port they removed? It has some bug fixes, but introduced the weird aggro / pulling issue.

I unfortunately gave up before my goal of completely all the DLc. Couldn't kill the Forgotten, the boss you have to kill in 5 turns. Felt like I needed to upgrade some more weapons to get the dps up, but the grind on some of those items is freaking stupid (dragon manes...). Shame, but was still a fun ride and I at least got to murder the Enlightened Seven and most of the other dlc!

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this game up on the Golden Week Sale on PSN. Kind of excited and scared to play it because of a lot of the things I have read. Need to finish Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ first thought so i got a minute!

Sorry for a semi-dead thread bump.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this game up on the Golden Week Sale on PSN. Kind of excited and scared to play it because of a lot of the things I have read. Need to finish Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ first thought so i got a minute!

Sorry for a semi-dead thread bump.
Don't be scared. Just play it how you want just make sure you don't fight single enemies and you'll be just fine. Worked for.me and I platted it

Patch notes - v1.02

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/247761-the-last-remnant-remastered/77729547#3

Patch 1.02 just came out today for The Last Remnant Remastered per BigEDole and Sunzi from Gamefaqs.

Per sunzi, "Characters with a focus on mystic arts now correctly equip mystic arts accessories."

This is actually a bug that was carried over from the 360 and PC versions of the game, so this has been fixed for the first time ever. Slowly but surely the remaster team is ironing everything out. The area of effect (AoE) attack glitch is definitely the big big glitch that still needs to be fixed, but with TLRR likely being ported to every other platform as we speak i imagine it's only a matter of time until they fix that too.

I can't wait for the PS5 version of the game running in native 4k with max FoV enabled, it's going to be beautiful. This game is so awesome i can't believe no one talks about it more.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Wow, that is great news! I remember having to use a hex editor to fix that bug on PC. Kinda crazy that it's finally patched on one platform over a decade later.

Yeah, as you mentioned the only way to fix this bug was to modify the game's .exe file as described here:
https://lastremnant.fandom.com/wiki/Mystic_Focus_Bug

The game's original director Hiroshi Takai helped with the remaster and I'm sure he's been aware of this bug for several years but fixing bugs takes time and likely his and the remaster team's top priority when first doing the remaster was to redo it under Unreal Engine 4 and make sure the game was running properly so they didn't spend any time fixing this bug, or they weren't sure how to fix it at first and needed time to figure it out.

But i think they're now doing the game for other platforms once the exclusive rights for Sony expire, so while doing the other ports they're likely going to fix any other remaining bugs, including the remaster-only area of effect attack glitch which is a major bug that needs to be fixed.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I think we are seeing a repeat of what happened with FFXII in regards to post-launch patches.

When the dev team starts working on a PC version and other ports, they take the time to fix bugs that they might have known about but weren't impactful enough on the overall player experience. Might as well do it when the programmers are tinkering with the code.

Hopefully they fix the AoE bug soon as well. It's funny because that bug as been more beneficial to me than a hindrance. Caustic Blast just destroys everything. But I think I'll run problems with that sooner than later. I think I'm at the 2/3 point. Late-game bosses will probably use a lot more AoE going forward.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think we are seeing a repeat of what happened with FFXII in regards to post-launch patches.

When the dev team starts working on a PC version and other ports, they take the time to fix bugs that they might have known about but weren't impactful enough on the overall player experience. Might as well do it when the programmers are tinkering with the code.

Hopefully they fix the AoE bug soon as well. It's funny because that bug as been more beneficial to me than a hindrance. Caustic Blast just destroys everything. But I think I'll run problems with that sooner than later. I think I'm at the 2/3 point. Late-game bosses will probably use a lot more AoE going forward.

Anything that uses thunderbreath against you is going to be a huge problem since it'll likely hit every one of your unions no matter where they are located on the field.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing this on the playstation store, but I'm gonna hold off and see if SaGa Scarlet Grace is announced at e3 before diving in.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Last edited:

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Got this on Switch and have been playing a bit today. Read the OP and found out about the Battle Rank thing. Now I'm stressed. I just got to Dillmoor and my BR is 2. Am I gonna have to use some serious enemy herding tactics (and save scumming???) to keep it low or is it just something I should keep in mind? I don't consider myself very good at tactical rpgs so now I'm like, fuck. Coming across a pain in the ass boss because my BR is too high would probably just cause me to restart or abandon the game. The stats and tables on the wiki page are really not easing my anxiety lol.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The game is now out on the Switch eShop! Download size is the same as on PS4 (11.9 GB), so expect fairly comparable visual quality. Updating the OP with some relevant info.

It actually was... :O

Trust, that was the main reason I was watching the Square Enix presentation
(Though finding out TLR is only 20 bucks and only a 12 GB download has sort of made me eye it even harder, and they didn't give Scarlet Grace a real release date... but there are so many games coming out over the next few months...)

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Got this on Switch and have been playing a bit today. Read the OP and found out about the Battle Rank thing. Now I'm stressed. I just got to Dillmoor and my BR is 2. Am I gonna have to use some serious enemy herding tactics (and save scumming???) to keep it low or is it just something I should keep in mind? I don't consider myself very good at tactical rpgs so now I'm like, fuck. Coming across a pain in the ass boss because my BR is too high would probably just cause me to restart or abandon the game. The stats and tables on the wiki page are really not easing my anxiety lol.

Don't worry about it. BR was an issue in the 360 version. As long as you don't fight every single weak monster you encounter, you'll be fine.

In fact, going for a low BR run makes some fights harder - at least early on.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It's not as bad as all the big tables and whatnot on the wiki make it out to be; they're just there for those who want to know the specifics. As a general rule, you should try to fight multiple enemy unions at once, rather than picking off each group one by one. That's not to say you should make fights hopelessly difficult (i.e., don't aggro everyone in the area then Timeshift them all together), but do try to give yourself a decent challenge. You'll win more in battles and keep your Battle Rank down, giving you a good difficulty curve.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
It's not as bad as all the big tables and whatnot on the wiki make it out to be; they're just there for those who want to know the specifics. As a general rule, you should try to fight multiple enemy unions at once, rather than picking off each group one by one. That's not to say you should make fights hopelessly difficult (i.e., don't aggro everyone in the area then Timeshift them all together), but do try to give yourself a decent challenge. You'll win more in battles and keep your Battle Rank down, giving you a good difficulty curve.
Thank you!
Another concern, I heard that the final boss scales according to how many sidequests you've done. In general I'm a junkie for sidequests so that kind of gives me pause. I don't think I'd have the time or patience for a NG+ playthrough unless I really fall for the battle system. I think I'm gonna do most of, if not all of, the sidequests anyway.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
(Apologies for posting this in a PS4 thread, but I don't know where else to put this until they release the remaster on PC.)

I played this game a couple years ago and was really annoyed by how almost none of the mechanics were explained (meaning I had to spend hours on the wiki), and at the BR system in general (seriously the worst leveling system I've ever come across). I later discovered two programs/mods that GREATLY improve this game:

TLR Planner - This gives you quick access to a ton of information and reduces the amount you'll have to use the wiki.

Static BR Scaling Mod - Someone out there hated the BR system as much as I did, and created a mod to deal with it.

ꝒinkꝔanther said:
From my tests, for a new player the following version seems quite adequate to me:

- 30 Steps 128&96 Linear Static (Final-Superbosses Excluded) + 106,4% Movement Speed

The mobs have a higher than normal BR, which makes it possible to grind them even at high BR. Still the rares & quest monsters stay at their lowest BR.

Important to notice: Whenever battle difficulty seems weird, compare that battle with and without the mod.

The mod is easy to add or remove (it's just 1 file you put in TLR's Binaries folder), so it's low risk and very high reward if you too hate the vanilla BR enemy scaling system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
(Apologies for posting this in a PS4 thread, but I don't know where else to put this until they release the remaster on PC.)

No worries! This OT essentially serves as Era's hub for all things TLR (I recently updated it to cover the Switch release of Remastered), so might as well. I've used the Planner app quite a bit on the PC version; it really does work wonders. For better and worse, there's a ton of stuff the game doesn't tell its players.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
There. Finished the game (PS4). Gotta say, I was surprised at how short the final dungeon were. Also, now when I look back, the main story were also quite short. I think maybe 70% of my playtime were spent on sidequests and trying to farm the right materials for weapon upgrades. My final Battle Rank landed at 80.

I think I will load my lastest save and continue from there to do more sidequests and have a more prepared New Game+ save file.

Btw, how do I access The Ancient Ruins, which were DLC in the 360 version?

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Btw, how do I access The Ancient Ruins, which were DLC in the 360 version?
After completing the "Frustrations" quest, a new quest to kill The Fallen will be available in Baaluk's pub after the events in Darken Forest; talk to Wyngale to start it. After you complete the quest, the Ancient Ruins will be open for you to go into at any time.

One extremely important note about this quest is that you MUST do it before going to Undelwalt. Setting foot in that city will make the quest disappear, and you'll lose access to the Ancient Ruins for the remainder of the playthrough.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I just got this on switch and am like 20 mins in! I know you're not supposed to really grind, but rather chain--does that mean I should try to get multiple enemies in my battle radius when I *do* battle?

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I just got this on switch and am like 20 mins in! I know you're not supposed to really grind, but rather chain--does that mean I should try to get multiple enemies in my battle radius when I *do* battle?
Yeah. It's much easier if you aggro enemies by initiating a battle just outside their radius, holding down L to run twice as fast, and then using Timeshift to get them all together in one battle (you'll get Timeshift after two intro dungeons, if you don't have it yet). Be careful about fighting tons of enemies early on, though; I'd recommend no more than three or four groups until your max unit count increases.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Yeah. It's much easier if you aggro enemies by initiating a battle just outside their radius, holding down L to run twice as fast, and then using Timeshift to get them all together in one battle (you'll get Timeshift after two intro dungeons, if you don't have it yet). Be careful about fighting tons of enemies early on, though; I'd recommend no more than three or four groups until your max unit count increases.

I think I'm about to go into my second dungeon, so not quite yet, but thanks! This is super helpful haha my number one fear has been making the game too hard.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
After completing the "Frustrations" quest, a new quest to kill The Fallen will be available in Baaluk's pub after the events in Darken Forest; talk to Wyngale to start it. After you complete the quest, the Ancient Ruins will be open for you to go into at any time.

One extremely important note about this quest is that you MUST do it before going to Undelwalt. Setting foot in that city will make the quest disappear, and you'll lose access to the Ancient Ruins for the remainder of the playthrough.

Seems I missed it then. Well, there's always New Game+.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
More helpful links:

TLR Normal Mode Walkthrough and Guide: Maximal Results with Minimal Effort
A compact but complete walkthrough with the goal of minimizing the effort needed to achieve a great team with great equipment. Also includes profound explanations of the game mechanics needed to achieve this.
Super helpful guide that can serve as a quick reference to make sure you're not skipping over any quests, and/or a deep explanation of the game's mechanics.

Advanced Strategy Guide
Advanced strategy and tactics advice for The Last Remnant. No story spoilers.
This guide is poorly titled IMO - it's just a really good explanation of some of the combat/union mechanics.

The Last Remnant (PC) Unique Leader class guide and Army Construction FAQ
Useful combo of guides for info on each individual leader character