• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
So if we already own this on PC are they offering any upgrade option for existing owners?
They haven't said a word about a PC version of TLR Remastered, even though it's a matter of time (there's no reason to delist the original from Steam otherwise). Give it a couple months and we'll know.

Are there any comparison screenshots?
There's the comparison video I linked, which does a decent job at showing the texture/lighting improvements.

Nice OT! Excited to play again. I only ever played on 360 and got stuck on Disc 2. I might need some pointers. Any recommended material to look up?
The game's wiki is an invaluable resource in general. A few super-dedicated fans of the game worked for years to make a nearly 4,000-page resource for virtually everything in the game, and it's been a huge help in putting together stuff like my missables cheat-sheet and other things.

As far as random pointers go:
  • Try to keep the overall number of battles you fight on the low side. You can aggro enemies by initiating a battle just outside the battle radius - that plus Timeshift will ensure you consistently get several groups linked together.
  • Disable some skills on your party members to ensure they learn fewer, but more powerful, skills. Especially do this for Rush, as he can eventually learn pretty much any non-Unique skill.
  • Watch the radar during battle for opportunities to flank the enemy.
  • You can level up Mr. Diggs's abilities easily and early in Dillmoor; there's a mining spot just to the right as you enter (leave and re-enter to reset his digs count). His stats and abilities and digs count all carry over through New Game Plus.
  • Do as many quests as you can when you get them; quite a few are either missable or cannot be completed after certain points in the story. Check the pubs and guilds on a regular basis, and talk to everyone. Talking to otherwise-unassuming people in this game can open up entire new areas to explore on the map, it's that important.
  • In general, just craft equipment for Rush. You can make stuff that your party members will want, but they won't usually have them equipped for long. Notice how your party members will often ask for materials, and then take them after battle? They're using those to make their own equipment, which is usually better.
  • Choose formations wisely. The Orb formation is great for mages who want to practice their skills (it reduces the AP cost), but it nerfs physical attacks by quite a bit. Play around with formations and always be on the lookout for new ones (get them mostly from Guild quests).
  • Check to see what captured monsters can be "split" into. Some party members may be on the lookout for the resulting components.
  • Save often and in multiple slots. There are a lot of areas where you either can't easily escape or can't leave until you've killed a boss (the game will warn you in the latter case).
  • Have fun! The game's battle system is ridiculously deep but it feels great to master it. Ask away ITT if you have any questions.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Excited for this!!
Do we know if it's out tonight late on PSN or will it be tomorrow afternoon. (US Central time)

I loved this game and even more on PC but I could never get my 360 controller to work right the controller config settings were so bad. Low key one of my most anticipated games this year. Also, fucking amazing OST :)

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Disappointed to hear about the whole don't fight too many battle things still being in it. I hate self-pacing myself in games.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Disappointed to hear about the whole don't fight too many battle things still being in it. I hate self-pacing myself in games.
You can still fight a ton of battles, just make sure you fight several enemy groups at once so that your leveling and skill development can keep pace with the enemy scaling. Once you're far enough into the game that you have a fairly ideal party together, chain some mobs and go nuts.

Low key one of my most anticipated games this year. Also, fucking amazing OST :)
That's another thing I forgot to mention in the OT. The soundtrack for this game is straight fire:

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just checked the AU PSN store and...there's no dual audio. Just English. Why?

I wanted to ask that too, thought this is maybe an error in the PlayStation Store. It is not. Well, easy 20 Bucks for Square Enix and they still messed up that I refuse to buy. I love the japanese voices in this title. There is no reason to not include it when the older PC version still contains Dual-Audio. Seems like I stick with my PC-Version. Judging by the OP's FAQ, the differences aren't that significant and I must say, it still performs well on PC.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of those games where you really won't have to grind. A lot of sidequests get thrown your way, so you should be relatively alright if you complete them all and kill everything you run into.

Although fair warning, there are still a handful of difficulty spikes to look out for. (Hell's Gate, The Towers, etc). If you hit a point where you're absolutely stuck, then maybe it's safe to grind for a little bit. IIRC most story battles have fixed levels.

Make absolutely sure that everyone in your squad knows how to use recovery items, particularly revives. Healing spells are nice, but not as essential.

Oh and if you want to 100% the game, get a guide. There are quite a few missable side-quests and recruits.

I've put a buttload of time into both the Xbox 360 and PC versions, and right now I'm in the middle of installing the Remastered version (review copy).
Embargo lifts on midnight 12:00 EST, so I'll probably start up a stream around then.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's cool that there are options for the PC version, but I personally like the battle rank system fine as it is (at least, after the adjustments the PC version had).

people

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, I forgot about the INCREDIBLY LOUD music when starting the game. Also, Omnistrike!

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I used to stay in the main menu for hours at times, just to listen to that one piece over and over again. This game deserved so much more.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Note about BR: I may be a bit off seeing as I got my 1000/1000 years ago, but a good way to think about leveling within the Battle Rank paradigm is that relative to your rank, there are certain specific enemy species or encounter configurations that the game sees as way more difficult than others, expressed as a higher starting morale for said enemy group, even if the fight isn't actually that hard. These are the fights that get you the highest stat increases. Grinding on weak enemies won't get you shit.

Is this info still correct? I think all they tweaked re: BR is the length of time you remain at each rank but I could be off on that count.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait.

Still love how David's design still totally reminds me of Bart from Xenogears, heh.

I used to stay in the main menu for hours at times, just to listen to that one piece over and over again. This game deserved so much more.
The map track is another that I remember a lot from watching videos.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I forgot how rough the
Fiery Idol
is right near the start of the game, didn't end the round with half health or more? Game over.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
There are a plethora of quality of life mods out for the original PC version.

PC mods and utilities:
INI tweak to allow manual party equipment - Gives you full control over everyone's equipment.
Battle Rank scaling mod (variants include static, dynamic, etc) - makes the game harder or easier. Random encounters will be considered hard encounters so you will rarely hear 'Sword Sparks' if ever.
TLRPlanner - Companion program that hooks into the game and tells you what quests are expiring among other things. It does a lot more cheaty things with memory like forcing rare mob spawns or directly teleporting you to treasure chests or points of interest.
RemnantTrainer - cheat/trainer that allows you to modify items, your inventory, equipment stats, etc. Let's you fix a unit's stat/class branch. There are a few more minor utilities here.

None of these are possible on the PS4 version. If they ever release the remaster on PC, the modding scene (if it's still around) will have to remap all the memory addresses for those mods.

This is good list, I especially like the trainer. Called it cheating or what ever but having to order 35 characters in a battle is highly satisfying in army commander simulator. Also you can make the game harder with BR manipulation is you think the trainer make you too easy (which is what I do)

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The high-speed travel is actually pretty nice. It makes maps like the Great Sand Sea less of a slog and it makes dodging enemies generally easier everywhere, even in tight paths. It'll also be good when you are seeking certain enemy spawn patterns or rare spawns that aren't close to a zone exit.

Having no big pop-in issue is, of course, nice as well. I suppose the trade-off is that load times aren't as fast as the PC version loaded onto an SSD but they aren't terrible.

I really like how much the game opens up for you as soon as you get to Elysion. Put the story stuff on hold for a bit and explore a few optional zones, do some quests, get some new leaders and loot.

Last edited:

Ripley

Nov 8, 2017
Loved this on the 360, even with the limited info that people had managed to dig up at the time. I remember desperately avoiding fights and never, ever chaining battles to keep BR down.

This version sounds so much better, it might be time to jump back in.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I just noticed that this is a 20€ release, I might grab it soon. I remember playing the first couple of hours on PC and enjoying it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't said a word about a PC version of TLR Remastered, even though it's a matter of time (there's no reason to delist the original from Steam otherwise). Give it a couple months and we'll know.

There's the comparison video I linked, which does a decent job at showing the texture/lighting improvements.

The game's wiki is an invaluable resource in general. A few super-dedicated fans of the game worked for years to make a nearly 4,000-page resource for virtually everything in the game, and it's been a huge help in putting together stuff like my missables cheat-sheet and other things.

As far as random pointers go:
  • Try to keep the overall number of battles you fight on the low side. You can aggro enemies by initiating a battle just outside the battle radius - that plus Timeshift will ensure you consistently get several groups linked together.
  • Disable some skills on your party members to ensure they learn fewer, but more powerful, skills. Especially do this for Rush, as he can eventually learn pretty much any non-Unique skill.
  • Watch the radar during battle for opportunities to flank the enemy.
  • You can level up Mr. Diggs's abilities easily and early in Dillmoor; there's a mining spot just to the right as you enter (leave and re-enter to reset his digs count). His stats and abilities and digs count all carry over through New Game Plus.
  • Do as many quests as you can when you get them; quite a few are either missable or cannot be completed after certain points in the story. Check the pubs and guilds on a regular basis, and talk to everyone. Talking to otherwise-unassuming people in this game can open up entire new areas to explore on the map, it's that important.
  • In general, just craft equipment for Rush. You can make stuff that your party members will want, but they won't usually have them equipped for long. Notice how your party members will often ask for materials, and then take them after battle? They're using those to make their own equipment, which is usually better.
  • Choose formations wisely. The Orb formation is great for mages who want to practice their skills (it reduces the AP cost), but it nerfs physical attacks by quite a bit. Play around with formations and always be on the lookout for new ones (get them mostly from Guild quests).
  • Check to see what captured monsters can be "split" into. Some party members may be on the lookout for the resulting components.
  • Save often and in multiple slots. There are a lot of areas where you either can't easily escape or can't leave until you've killed a boss (the game will warn you in the latter case).
  • Have fun! The game's battle system is ridiculously deep but it feels great to master it. Ask away ITT if you have any questions.
Thanks for these pointers. I got all the achievements on 360 but can't remember much. Do I still need to not go into random battles until a certain point? I don't remember if I even avoided them on 369 tbh. And when is that point when I can power level if there is one? I want to definately get the platinum on this but don't want to be in a place where I've fucked it up by not having the right skills or levels meaning some fights would be impossible to win?
I remember following a quest guide for the missables so I'll do that again for the quests but I'm more bothered about the way they'll level up and lack stuff if I fight the wrong way or learn things the wrong way?

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for these pointers. I got all the achievements on 360 but can't remember much. Do I still need to not go into random battles until a certain point? I don't remember if I even avoided them on 369 tbh. And when is that point when I can power level if there is one? I want to definately get the platinum on this but don't want to be in a place where I've fucked it up by not having the right skills or levels meaning some fights would be impossible to win?
I remember following a quest guide for the missables so I'll do that again for the quests but I'm more bothered about the way they'll level up and lack stuff if I fight the wrong way or learn things the wrong way?
I never skipped any battles on 360 and never had any problem. Really wouldnt worry about it too much. Just remember it's better to group more enemies together with time power then to do one at a time. That and the pc version was way less harsh so you shouldn't really worry at all.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I remember playing this on 360 at release and getting stuck at some big wall (?) boss or something for months and never beating it.

Maybe it's time for another shot. I remember the OST being fire.

Edit: Hell's Gate was the boss, that was it.

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I've been interested in this game for years but never got around to playing it. I also know next to nothing about it and was just going to dive in blind. I was on board with the remaster until I read all this however.

The game sounds super convoluted and just really time consuming. Do you have to put in more than you receive? Or is it a worthwhile experience?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Will buy today so I can finally finish this awesome and underrated baby. Finally without slide show framerate in fights! :)
That soundtrack alone is hype as fuck and never gets old.

I defeated Gates of Hell back then, but then got stuck at that long ass fight later, where you have to defeat a huge army + a group of bosses in a church or something. One of the bosses was an Martial Arts grandpa. When you died there, you had to do that huge army all over again, before getting another ass beating by the boss.

Shame about no physical version with at least english subs. Would double dip.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been interested in this game for years but never got around to playing it. I also know next to nothing about it and was just going to dive in blind. I was on board with the remaster until I read all this however.

The game sounds super convoluted and just really time consuming. Do you have to put in more than you receive? Or is it a worthwhile experience?

The quick tips are to avoid fighting battles where your morale starts blue. Turn off skills you dont want characters to use (eg Torgal and Magic Missile). Items are useful and make sure you keep stocked on components.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Started the download this morning before leaving to work. Finally gonna crack this walnut open tonight

malrock

Oct 26, 2017
North Carolina
Super weird that the wouldn't include a Japanese language toggle option when the Japanese voices are already in the download? Switching the system language gives you Japanese voices but also Japanese subtitles... Weird decision

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
The quick tips are to avoid fighting battles where your morale starts blue. Turn off skills you dont want characters to use (eg Torgal and Magic Missile). Items are useful and make sure you keep stocked on components.
Lol sounds good.. (creeps back to Ys origins).

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Just got the game.
zWUvHNy.jpg

The lighting with UE4 is a lot better. The scene where you meet David is a good example.

Never played the game (Only seen the first 2 hours from a playthrough on Youtube), so I will look up a lot of information on how to develop your characters/unions. This isn't a normal RPG.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Was pleasantly surprised by the price for this (especially for a Square-Enix game)! £15.99 for a new remastered game is very good when so many other "Remastered" games are normally priced a lot more upon launch.

So it follows a lot of SaGa staples then (avoid grinding or else suffer the consequences lol). Typical Kawazu game, then.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always loved the fantasy races in this game. Very unique for the genre.
It is a very good game. Here is my writeup from 6 years ago:

I recently spent 80 hours playing TLR on PC and this game is FUN! The battles are fluid and there are tons of special attacks and party members to get. Why did no one care about this jrpg again? It has everything that I wanted in a rpg this generation. Ok so the story is shit, but 90% of the jrpgs have shitty stories so it is not a deal breaker. However it is nice to see in this day and age a jrpg that isnt super linear as you can find lots of hidden towns and dungeons. Hell, there is barely a tutorial in this game. Sometimes you just stumble over sidequests and rare bosses that you had no idea that was there.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game shares a lot in common with FFXII, at least visually

Hearing Vash the Stampede as the main protag was a pleasant surprise though