• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You can still fight a ton of battles, just make sure you fight several enemy groups at once so that your leveling and skill development can keep pace with the enemy scaling. Once you're far enough into the game that you have a fairly ideal party together, chain some mobs and go nuts.
This doesn't work out with the PC version changes for one specific reason: rare enemies scale massively with BR.

It doesn't matter that much for the critical path (since those are all at a static BR), but a lot of optional stuff and just getting through some areas will be difficult to impossible if you do too much fighting before you have your "final" party composition (which means you have to wait until Disc 2 before you can really even play the game).

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't work out with the PC version changes for one specific reason: rare enemies scale massively with BR.

It doesn't matter that much for the critical path (since those are all at a static BR), but a lot of optional stuff and just getting through some areas will be difficult to impossible if you do too much fighting before you have your "final" party composition (which means you have to wait until Disc 2 before you can really even play the game).

Eh, I think it's still pretty manageable. In my most recent playthrough, which was earlier this year, I had a solid team strong enough to take on the optional Enlightened Seven boss battle. After the battle I then recruited those members, swapped all seven of them into my party, and still managed to take down remaining superbosses like Demigod and The Lost. I somehow had a battle rank of 135 at that point..

Basically I think the PC version balancing changes makes a lot of the battle paranoia kind of moot. Just don't seek enemies where your morale bar starts fully blue (ie too weak for you). imo it's really that simple.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will probably buy it again, if for no other reason that I feel like I paid too little when I bought it for 10 bucks back in the day.
Played for over 200 hours and loved it.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to force myself not to do a low BR run, Got to Nagapur at BR4 so going to make sure I do all the side stuff and not avoid too many fights.

Also another tip if it hasn't been mentioned already, talk to bartenders, they'll tell you about other cities and unlock new areas early..Some of these areas will have side quests that if you wait to go there when the main story sends you, they'll have disappeared.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Picked this up yesterday in support. Quite a cheap remaster. Not sure when I will find the time to play through this again, going through the beginning of the story felt like a blast from the past.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Just checked Amazon.jp in hopes of snagging the official strategy book; it is up to $120 (Y13,300) used! Insane! (The inferior one from Famitsu is about one-twentieth that figure.)

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Namul Niram boss is a little bit of a crapshoot if you've done minimal battles up to the point, heh. Got past them, though.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Namul Niram boss is a little bit of a crapshoot if you've done minimal battles up to the point, heh. Got past them, though.

Or you can just be a coward, drop Emma from your Union and she joins the fight as a guest Union with like 3x the health, then just have Rush heal and never get into combat.

I'm a bit worried at the moment..The Ophelia/Roberto stuff, IIRC in the 360 version to get a certain trophy you needed to side with her, but they removed that requirement in the PC version..really hoping it's still fixed in the Remaster..Choosing between a Unique Leader and a Trophy sucks.

people

Oct 27, 2017
Replayed this battle a couple of times with varying results (at BR3); from defeat on second turn to victory in 9 (with Omnistrike) to 22 turns (Emma as guest union).

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Or you can just be a coward, drop Emma from your Union and she joins the fight as a guest Union with like 3x the health, then just have Rush heal and never get into combat.

I'm a bit worried at the moment..The Ophelia/Roberto stuff, IIRC in the 360 version to get a certain trophy you needed to side with her, but they removed that requirement in the PC version..really hoping it's still fixed in the Remaster..Choosing between a Unique Leader and a Trophy sucks.

Oh yeah, I forgot you could do that in that battle. Ah well I got past him anyways.

I'm currently wrapping up sidequests / optional content after getting to Nagapur. You'd would think PC version fix regarding 'Things Unchangeable would be fixed but I understand the paranoia in the off chance it somehow behaves like the 360 version.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot you could do that in that battle. Ah well I got past him anyways.

I'm currently wrapping up sidequests / optional content after getting to Nagapur. You'd would think PC version fix regarding 'Things Unchangeable would be fixed but I understand the paranoia in the off chance it somehow behaves like the 360 version.

Yup, as I recall there are like a dozen quests that vanish after the Aquaducts, trying to clear them out now..Might try the old Glenys grind trick while I'm at it. I forgot how rough those Roc enemies are when you're still low level and union limited.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ah so it doesn't even have levels? Also kinda like in SaGa series then where your party members learn new attacks as you do standard attacks. Very nice!
Loving this so far. Actually making me think I'm okay waiting for SaGa: Scarlet Grace now I've got this which is basically a SaGa game. Which makes wonder why didn't they call it SaGa: The Last Remnant or something? lol.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember loving this game only to be completely stonewalled by grinding too much. I reached a part I simply could not beat and the typical jRPG solution of grinding obviously just made it harder.

I'm hesitant to try it again.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The PS Blog has an interview with TLR art director Yusuke Naora (Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X). There's a few pieces of artwork I've never seen before!

Ah so it doesn't even have levels? Also kinda like in SaGa series then where your party members learn new attacks as you do standard attacks. Very nice!
Loving this so far. Actually making me think I'm okay waiting for SaGa: Scarlet Grace now I've got this which is basically a SaGa game. Which makes wonder why didn't they call it SaGa: The Last Remnant or something? lol.
Yeah, this game shares quite a bit of DNA (and staff!) with SaGa, with a little Ogre Battle 1 mixed in. I actually really like that there's no levels. Character and skill development is really organic in TLR; it's always great to watch units suddenly change their planned attack to an upgraded version they've just learned mid-battle.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
SirNinja

Just wanted to thank you for the pointers and info dump that you provided for me earlier. It really helped and I am enjoying the game alot more. Actually just finished the 1st two side quests while still BR1. I think I am gonna have Rush be a Ninja, but still trying to figure out who I am in my party.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah there's some FFXII and FFXIV devs in there too like the Battle System Designer for FFXII (and the director TLR would become of the Project Leads for FFXIV expansions). After playing XII and XIV I can definitely see some similarities to all three games with regards to the towns and NPCs. I like that there's no levelling too, makes it feel fresh, I like that they innovated and brought some cool ideas to the game like the battle system. The game has such a fast pace to it so far, I can see why it was so popular on Steam and got such high score from Japanese publications now back in the day. I can see the Ogre Battle feel too with the battles, for sure.

I've always liked Naora as an artist a lot and think this is some of his best work outside of Front Mission and FFVII. Always been overlooked when compared to the other Square-Enix big names.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally have this game. It wasn't really a must have for me, but I did want to try it on PS3 and hoped for a release. The battle system always looked interesting.

So yeah, its pretty fucking good so far (bar the movement outside of battles, the running flat out sucks lol). I like the OST and battles a lot. I was beaten a few times by the Robelia Ruins boss battle. Because I don't fully understand it yet. Once I chose to help deadlocked comrades I won the battle relatively easy. Its seems its more about making the right moves in certain situations. The game is unique, and thats why its worth playing today.

Also is there a penalty for using the auto critical QTE thing? Those are kind of hard to spot and I fuck them up a lot.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also is there a penalty for using the auto critical QTE thing? Those are kind of hard to spot and I fuck them up a lot.

I play on Turbo mode 98% of the time and I just set to Auto because it's too fast to reliability hit otherwise. The AI doesn't succeed all the time but it's fine. Very occasionally if there's a certain encounter I'm having trouble with, I might slow down to normal speed and set manual control on the critical triggers to make sure I hit them all, giving me an edge, but usually you shouldn't have to rely on those to succeed or not.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
For the Auto QTE's, I think it has like a 60-70% success rate, but it ignores the defensive ones, so you'll never get those. As Seda said above, it's pretty much required if you use turbo combat speed.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen it get those. I guess I'm either unlucky or not paying attention.

Yeah I wouldnt have gotten far without them, i was able to just retry the boss battles over and over and eventually get through at BR1 thanks to just waiting for RNG to let me win. I fought in Gaslin about 20 times but eventually my unions wiped the mobs in 1 turn and I could focus on the boss and still heal

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Just steamrolled Nest of Eagles at BR15. Gae Bolg'd everything and beat
both bosses in 1 turn, didn't even get to enrage

Fiery Revolt was a bit rough, but I think I have every quest that I have available pre-aquaducts completed, other than Glenys, who I'm saving for some grinding later on.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I finally have this game. It wasn't really a must have for me, but I did want to try it on PS3 and hoped for a release.
I'm kind of amazed that this game got a re-release at all, really, given how relatively cult/niche it is. TLR is an unlikely new recruit into the "games planned for PS3 that ended up on PS4" club, alongside FFXV and The Last Guardian (and one or two others I'm likely forgetting). Glad some folks can finally play it!

So yeah, its pretty fucking good so far (bar the movement outside of battles, the running flat out sucks lol).
Have you tried holding L1 to run faster? That's one of the few new features in this release. (It makes it a lot easier to get lots of enemies grouped together too)

I like the OST and battles a lot. I was beaten a few times by the Robelia Ruins boss battle. Because I don't fully understand it yet. Once I chose to help deadlocked comrades I won the battle relatively easy. Its seems its more about making the right moves in certain situations.
It absolutely is. Breaking Deadlock is risky but sometimes necessary. Go for it if your deadlocked union is in good shape and can afford to take a possible Raidlock.

The only catch for using automatic Critical Triggers is that they have an 80% success rate. Of course, if you're doing worse than that, absolutely set them to on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So should I be recruiting everyone? I've got the main people and just hired Loki, but the others dont look as good and my unions are maxed. Should i just save the gold or will I miss them

Edit: just answered my own question, apparently theres a unique leader class. I assume I wont need anyone besides the unique leaders then?

Last edited:

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just get the unique leaders, really. Early on you might want some generic leaders to fill empty ranks but you'll have more than enough uniques soon enough.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
So should I be recruiting everyone? I've got the main people and just hired Loki, but the others dont look as good and my unions are maxed. Should i just save the gold or will I miss them

Edit: just answered my own question, apparently theres a unique leader class. I assume I wont need anyone besides the unique leaders then?
Eventually you'll have, ideally, a party that's nothing but leader-quality units, especially if you regularly complete sidequests. Until then, it's fine to fill out any spare remaining spots with the "regular" guild recruits.

My final party in TLR playthroughs tends to be (spoilers!): Rush, Irina, David, Blocter, Torgal, Emmy, Baulson, the Duke of Ghor, Jager, Wyngale, Glenys, Caedmon, Paris, Gaou, Zolean, Allan, Roberto, and Gabriel, as they're pound-for-pound among the best eighteen characters in terms of stats and abilities.

Additionally, I have Rush, Emmy, and Jager set as Union leaders, as they are the only three characters who can summon a friendly Remnant, which essentially gives you an additional Union. David is another great leader because of the ever-abusable Gae Bolg.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried using Blocter in several playthroughs but he never seems up-to-snuff for me. I benched him ASAP this time around, heh.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried using Blocter in several playthroughs but he never seems up-to-snuff for me. I benched him ASAP this time around, heh.
Blocter is worth it for his comments in battle alone ("those ones look good! yum, yum!").

IIRC, though, he is one of the weaker endgame characters (his "ultimate" gear is lacking).

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Blocter is worth it for his comments in battle alone ("those ones look good! yum, yum!").

IIRC, though, he is one of the weaker endgame characters (his "ultimate" gear is lacking).

Battle quotes is a valid reason to choose certain characters, true.

Which is why everybody should use Khrynia.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips, will likely be back here before I start leveling to ensure I'm doing it right... I still dont really get what to actually do once you're ready to start grinding lol. Low BR run is going surprisingly well though, after things got going.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Blocter is one of those characters that ends up being one of the better units by endgame simply because he's there from the very beginning (if you choose to keep him in), and thus has a whole game's worth of stat increases to his name. Same reason Baulson's on my endgame team too, as you get him extremely early on, and he adds some much-needed HP and attack to Rush's otherwise-squishy squad. Early-game, Blocter's mostly an idiot who gets killed a lot, but stick with him and he'll turn into a monster well before the finale. In my current playthrough on PC he's at nearly 3,800 HP and 200 Attack, armed with a Fellwyrm +3 and cutting open enemies left and right. Not as good as, say, the Duke of Ghor of course, but still a great unit in his own right.

His quotes are indeed great, lol. "Checkin' my stats, huh?"

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cleared Nest of Eagles, Battle Rank 8. Time to make sure I finish up some quests before the Aqueduct cut off point.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the 'second disc' at Battle Rank 11. Took a few tries against Jager and his summon. Now time to think about how I want to start setting up my final union set up..

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of amazed that this game got a re-release at all, really, given how relatively cult/niche it is. TLR is an unlikely new recruit into the "games planned for PS3 that ended up on PS4" club, alongside FFXV and The Last Guardian (and one or two others I'm likely forgetting). Glad some folks can finally play it!

Have you tried holding L1 to run faster? That's one of the few new features in this release. (It makes it a lot easier to get lots of enemies grouped together too)

The only catch for using automatic Critical Triggers is that they have an 80% success rate. Of course, if you're doing worse than that, absolutely set them to on.

I'm far below that. My success right now is like 30% lol.

Yeah I did run with L1. But I meant movement just looks very bad (the scenery speeds up, you're more or less floating). The camera controls are sort of bad too, but I took the slider one notch down.

I like how those games are finally playable on Playstation. I'm also on board day one for Vesperia.

Seeing we get Shenmue 3 and these games, I wouldn't even rule out Infinite Undiscovery to appear out of nowhere lol.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I'm far below that. My success right now is like 30% lol.

Yeah I did run with L1. But I meant movement just looks very bad (the scenery speeds up, you're more or less floating). The camera controls are sort of bad too, but I took the slider one notch down.

I like how those games are finally playable on Playstation. I'm also on board day one for Vesperia.

Seeing we get Shenmue 3 and these games, I wouldn't even rule out Infinite Undiscovery to appear out of nowhere lol.

Agreed, I already own these games but it's cool to see those who missed out on it the first time can play it on current gen.

Personally it's not quite worth double dipping on, maybe if some of them become backcompat? (as the last remnant was rumoured to be) my favourite from this era was Lost Odyssey and VC1, phenomenal games.