• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super weird that the wouldn't include a Japanese language toggle option when the Japanese voices are already in the download? Switching the system language gives you Japanese voices but also Japanese subtitles... Weird decision

It's weird given the original PC release had proper language switching for audio, so not sure what the heck happened here.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I'm afraid I may have already screwed up my playthrough. Had to do 8 tries before I killed the
Fiery Idol

which is, what, the third boss? It kept spamming AoE attacks and its big ultimate attack. My BR was 4 at the time.

Is there a way to earn components without actually battling? I want to farm some components to upgrade my weapons but if do fight enemies from the early areas, I risk of increasing my BR. Do later enemies also drop components that are needed for the first upgrade?

Is there a way I can simply give components to my party members for their weapon upgrades and gear or can they only take stuff post-battle?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Does it still have the br bullshit? Wasnt it something like the higher ur br the harder the enemy? Does having a low br impede you from getting gear? I never understood that shit.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it still have the br bullshit? Wasnt it something like the higher ur br the harder the enemy? Does having a low br impede you from getting gear? I never understood that shit.

Its still there but supposedly far less annoying than on 360. Just engage multiple enemies at all times and you should be fine, or so they say.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm afraid I may have already screwed up my playthrough. Had to do 8 tries before I killed the
Fiery Idol

which is, what, the third boss? It kept spamming AoE attacks and its big ultimate attack. My BR was 4 at the time.

You haven't messed up, that's a somewhat-notoriously tough boss for being so early on. Usual strategy applies though: focus on the enemy soldier unions first, and keep your HP high at all times. Stock up on Cureleaves and Relaxing Herbs so that your units who know healing Item Arts can use them to top everyone up.

Is there a way to earn components without actually battling? I want to farm some components to upgrade my weapons but if do fight enemies from the early areas, I risk of increasing my BR.
Mr. Diggs is a great way to do just that. Level him up early on by going to Dillmoor and take a sharp right immediately as you enter; you'll find a farming spot right there, at the edge of the cliff. You won't get much from it but it's great for leveling him up (just leave the area and come back to reset his dig count). Cross the bridge in Dillmoor and take a right to find a harvesting spot by the Jhana enemies (you can aggro them and use Timeshift to draw them away). That spot can get you Copper Ore, which is great for upgrading a lot of early equipment.

Is there a way I can simply give components to my party members for their weapon upgrades and gear or can they only take stuff post-battle?
You can't give them equipment or items directly, but occasionally going out to the world map will make them ask you for stuff. I'm not sure what exactly governs that, however.

BR is still in, of course, but it's much better than it was on 360 if that's the version you're familiar with. BR does not affect gear drops; the number of enemies you engage at once does. Fight as many enemies as you can take on in one battle for maximum rewards.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The
Fiery Idol
boss Is hard, but I beat him on my second try. You need some RNG luck here, for the first 4 turns he did melee and a Flare on a char with high HP. When all his minions were down and he was near death he did do a nasty AoE but I barely survived it and killed him. I switched to Arrow of Athleum but dunno if it makes a difference, it seems its best to hang back with Rush.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Fiery Idol boss is mostly difficult because he's an early boss before you've really settled into the game.

I really wouldn't worry about Battle Rank stuff too much, it's much less an issue in the non-360 versions. If you see people in here talking about clearing certain segments at low battle ranks, think of it not like a necessity but more akin to playing Final Fantasy 8 with minimal EXP - a fun thing to do on replays for those familiar. Like min-maxing only less precise.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to get this game but you get punished for grinding? I cannot stand that.

You get punished for grinding small amounts of weak enemies. If you grind by fighting stronger things or linking large amounts of weaker stuff you'll get massive gains. So if you pick 1 random mob, you'll get maybe 1 stat increase for 1-3 characters. My usual grind spot is what's referred to as the "Ultimate Grind", pulling 10+ groups of fairly weak enemies, very little actual threat, but each fight I'll get 3-5 stat increases for every single character. And it's usually 4-5 fights per BR increase.

I remember comparing stats to someone on the Steam Discussion for TLR a while back, I think we were the same BR but I had 50-60% more HP than them.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone have any tips for the Blackdale battle? It's outright chaos and the AI keeps going for Rush's squad non-stop. I start out flanking and getting the advantage then reinforcements arrive and I'm getting wiped continually.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
At that stage in the game all you can really do is aim for the soldiers and take the healing option every chance you get regardless of your current HP as an attack round + the bosses AoE can take you out pretty quick.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
AoE attacks are no joke.

Last night, my entire squad got wiped out by two servings of Caustic Blast...

(Spoiler warning)

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Knocked out the Fallen! Now to decide if I want to swap out leaders for either Wyngale or Khrynia..

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I think I'm about to start grinding pretty soon, these side quest fights are getting ridiculous and getting new recruits is painful. I am going to finish Eagles Nest and I'll probably be BR 5, but after that I think I should start leveling. Should i be using landworms for that? Also are there any characters I should definitely grind that are attainable on "disc 1"?

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
What BR are you at now? Sheryl's quest did a number on my BR, jumped from 15-18.
Huh, mine too. Well, 16 to 18 in my case. I thought it was weird that BR could do that. Don't remember that happening in my PC playthroughs - or maybe it's just been so long that I forgot all about it.

Someday someone will figure out the full mechanics behind this game, lol.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, mine too. Well, 16 to 18 in my case. I thought it was weird that BR could do that. Don't remember that happening in my PC playthroughs - or maybe it's just been so long that I forgot all about it.

Someday someone will figure out the full mechanics behind this game, lol.

I think no matter what I fought I'd have gone up from 15 to 16. Did a bit of Landworm grinding, now doing some Bai-Ze, 23 at the moment, grinding a bit before taking on the forts.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The yvalock nest quest is easily the worst quest in this game, sheesh

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What unit formations do people think tend to work best generally? Does it tend to matter a lot in the end up?

And who are the best party members to utilise? There's so many...

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
For those looking to grind stats on landworms in Lavafender by linking a bunch of them - it's practically impossible to do in the remaster because the landworms get briefly stuck in the environment and they de-aggro.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For those looking to grind stats on landworms in Lavafender by linking a bunch of them - it's practically impossible to do in the remaster because the landworms get briefly stuck in the environment and they de-aggro.
Monster aggro in general is a little weirder in the remaster. It's especially apparent with the landworms during the Wisdom's Echo quest in Avecliff. Trying to get the 20 worms to follow you to complete the quest (or to abuse for grinding) is considerably more difficult. Not impossible, just trickier.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
What unit formations do people think tend to work best generally? Does it tend to matter a lot in the end up?

And who are the best party members to utilise? There's so many...

Right now im BR 7 and doing side quests before I go to Aqueducts. The formations I use is a mix of Cup of Celapheis and Melee Stance depending on my Union setup. These formations have no penalties which is nice. I also just got Hawkeye which I hear is good, but I haven't tried it yet. Im looking to unlocking Orb.

A huge plus is Perales(sp?) as a Union leader as he starts with Paralysis Gas 2. Darien is a huge plus due to stats and lots of skills. Baulson is a must to have as well due to stats and melee skills, as is Caedmon and Faye.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Monster aggro in general is a little weirder in the remaster. It's especially apparent with the landworms during the Wisdom's Echo quest in Avecliff. Trying to get the 20 worms to follow you to complete the quest (or to abuse for grinding) is considerably more difficult. Not impossible, just trickier.

I made a save during Wisdom's Echo that I'm considering going back to, so reading that is a bummer. Should be easier than Lavafender though!

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I made a save during Wisdom's Echo that I'm considering going back to, so reading that is a bummer. Should be easier than Lavafender though!

Yeah I could only reliably get 10-15 links at most, instead of 19-20. It's still quite effective, just maybe a notch less so. You can still get like 1000+ enemies felled before your BR increases by 1.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on building Rush? In previous play throughs I've always made him a mage but not sure if that's optimal. I don't plan on grinding much this time through until necessary...

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The yvalock nest quest is easily the worst quest in this game, sheesh
The worst part IMO is that there's a rare spider running around the dark & spider-filled corridors. It spams cavalry call at the end of every turn. I must've fought 50 of those bastards before eventually getting overwhelmed.

I kept praying for a Gae Bolg or a couple of Omni Strikes but no dice.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the Fiery Idol boss is mostly difficult because he's an early boss before you've really settled into the game.

I really wouldn't worry about Battle Rank stuff too much, it's much less an issue in the non-360 versions. If you see people in here talking about clearing certain segments at low battle ranks, think of it not like a necessity but more akin to playing Final Fantasy 8 with minimal EXP - a fun thing to do on replays for those familiar. Like min-maxing only less precise.
This is 100% true. I was able to 1000/1000 the 360 version without paying any attention to BR. It was like 215 by the end of the game.

I did have to grind for a few hours in the bonus dungeon for
the Fallen
fight though, but that is kinda unavoidable.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Goddammit.
I didn't know that there was a quest that opens up after finishing an event at Darken Forest, but then closes after visiting Undelwalt.

Any chance I had of getting all of the trophies just flew out the window. Unless I want to load one of my previous saves and lose 5 or so hours of progress.

This fucking game sometimes...

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Any suggestions on building Rush? In previous play throughs I've always made him a mage but not sure if that's optimal. I don't plan on grinding much this time through until necessary...
There's no real optimal way to do it. My suggestion is just to focus on one area by disabling all the Arts that you don't want him using. e.g., if you want to make him a Mage, only have Mystic Arts on. I tend to make Rush a Psionics/Hexes user, as some of those skills are very useful. Psionics like Addle and Mixed Message can nuke enemy morale (Mixed Message V is basically a guaranteed full-blue morale bar) and Hexes with the right weapon will eventually let you use Cachexia, which saps enemy AP (i.e., most of them will only be able to do their standard Attack) in addition to dealing enormous damage.

[note: Some of these abilities you won't be able to learn until you get a specific item, which usually happens pretty far into the game. However, in New Game Plus, Rush gets to keep these items, and can use the first-level skills they bestow right from the beginning of the game, giving you a lot more freedom in how you want to develop him.]

Goddammit.
I didn't know that there was a quest that opens up after finishing an event at Darken Forest, but then closes after visiting Undelwalt.

Any chance I had of getting all of the trophies just flew out the window. Unless I want to load one of my previous saves and lose 5 or so hours of progress.

This fucking game sometimes...
It's one of the biggest faults of the game for sure. There's just a TON of missable content, and often the conditions for not missing them are crazy - killing The Fallen before Undelwalt is probably the worst offender, because the game just puts Undelwalt on your map right away and you're just supposed to instead take this crazy detour for no reason and fight a boss that's an extremely tough fight for most people.

I was really hoping they'd tweak some stuff for this version, just like they did from 360 -> PC way back when, because keeping up with it all is really grating sometimes. (Fun fact: that anti-missables guide I linked to in the OP was actually something I made many years ago, for myself, just so that I could actually play the game without looking through ten wiki pages at once all the time, and this thread presented me with an opportunity to share it at long last. I only had to make slight adjustments to it, like the spoiler warning, to get it ready for the OT.)

Majinkezz

Oct 29, 2017
Been intrigued by this game from back in the 360 days but am really but off by this whole BR stuff. Can you play through like a regular RPG with minimal grinding and not be punished? Does it really need to be kept extremely low?

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Been intrigued by this game from back in the 360 days but am really but off by this whole BR stuff. Can you play through like a regular RPG with minimal grinding and not be punished? Does it really need to be kept extremely low?
It doesn't need to be kept super-ultra low, but you also shouldn't just mindlessly grind, especially in the beginning of the game, where it's just not a great idea to for several reasons. Because you don't yet have your full party capacity/members, grinding early game means that your initial units will be powerful...but the ones you get afterwards won't be, and will probably suffer due to the effects of the high BR.

Basically: get a really good party together in the second half of the game (the maximum number of units is 18), THEN start grinding. That way the effects of the difficulty scaling will be lessened, because you'll have an entire battalion of people getting better instead of just a handful of units.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My BR is still 9 and just finished
Numor Mine

Can I still normally progress through the game with a low BR? I mean I know it's best to avoid fighting battles to keep your BR count low but so far I'm still doing OK I think, some enemies are hard like the ones in
Darken Forest

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At the point now where I can kill a bunch of things over and over in the ancient ruin for stats, battle rank be damned. I'm up to 79.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
At the point now where I can kill a bunch of things over and over in the ancient ruin for stats, battle rank be damned. I'm up to 79.

What BR did you beat The Fallen at? Grinding away at Bai-Ze still (27 atm) since I was having issues linking more than 12-14 Landcrawers I gave up and completed the quest. Avoiding even attempting him til my 3man unions have at least 3k health.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Played some more and I'll tell you, thank goodness there's auto-save. I don't think I have seen a Game Over screen as often as in this game.

Some more screenshots:

ePK8c9H.jpg

Were the floors always this shiny in the UE3 versions?

CGXkO3j.jpg

Oh so party members aside from Rush can learn skills from other categories.

uDxG1RB.jpg

Gotta love the rag doll physics whenever a union/unit dies. x)

EcrVBT1.jpg

It's really motivating to do side-quests when they unlock dungeons and towns which would have been unavailable if you solely followed the main story. (right?)

Am I correct in saying that party members can take components from split captured enemies even if the game doesn't announce it?

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Okay. Im going to play this game again, but i still havent understood BR system. If I dont replace my units, should I be okay if i have high BR?

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
How is this game compared to games like nier and Lost Odyssey ?
i read its almost 65 hours long.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Okay. Im going to play this game again, but i still havent understood BR system. If I dont replace my units, should I be okay if i have high BR?

The remaster is based on the PC version where the BR was rebalanced. Always try to engage more than one enemy on the zones. Avoid fights were your Morale is higher than your enemies at the start of fights.

Maybe others can give you more insight since it's the first time I'm playing the game myself.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Did any cheats or trainers ever work with the pc version? I'm torn between playing the pc version or buying it for PS4

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Did any cheats or trainers ever work with the pc version? I'm torn between playing the pc version or buying it for PS4
There are quite a few useful trainers and other utilities for the Steam version. One of the trainers lets you break the unit cap (letting you have 25 active party members total!) and can give you infinite Timeshift, letting you chain literally every mob together for an enormous marathon battle. They're pretty fun to use :P

There's also a great utiliity for the PC version called TLR Planner, which is a great all-around "assistant", showing you things like what to do next, what rare mobs are in the area, and much more. It also includes some cheats, including a BR reset function. I hope it's updated for TLR Remastered when that inevitably comes to Steam.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

I went with the Lavafender landworms since they can be captured and yeah, half of the time they would get stuck on the environment or just stand there. I gave up trying to chain more than 9 at a time.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to watch the video above but so far I kind of despise the battle system in this game. I'm very close to dropping it and playing something else.

Edit: I was hoping the video above would show me something i'm missing, but nope, it's just not for me

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got past Nest of Eagles with 3 teams. Its a luck battle, though you can increase your odds by doing some preparations.

I stood no chance at BR 11, I didn't fight enough yet though everything before this was smooth sailing. So I completed nearly all sidequests I could do and upgraded weapons. Then, by BR 23 my stats were significantly better. I could also clear Darken Forest by now.

But the thing is, you still need to be lucky here. I got Gaebolg in turn 2 and Blackout near the end. Gaebolg instantly put that girl into critical state, so I could finish her off quickly. Blackout decimated reinforcements instantly. You can increase your odds by learning Spark V for Rush, and put a (nearly) full party with invocations to take a shot at Blackout. Put David in a different party and increase AP for a possible Gae Bolg.

I think its a good eye opener though, I now know what to pair up and what to use. This game is underrated, probably slammed for its technical issues back then. The remaster is one of the better games Square has released in fact.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got past Nest of Eagles with 3 teams. Its a luck battle, though you can increase your odds by doing some preparations.

I stood no chance at BR 11, I didn't fight enough yet though everything before this was smooth sailing. So I completed nearly all sidequests I could do and upgraded weapons. Then, by BR 23 my stats were significantly better. I could also clear Darken Forest by now.

But the thing is, you still need to be lucky here. I got Gaebolg in turn 2 and Blackout near the end. Gaebolg instantly put that girl into critical state, so I could finish her off quickly. Blackout decimated reinforcements instantly. You can increase your odds by learning Spark V for Rush, and put a (nearly) full party with invocations to take a shot at Blackout. Put David in a different party and increase AP for a possible Gae Bolg.

I think its a good eye opener though, I now know what to pair up and what to use. This game is underrated, probably slammed for its technical issues back then. The remaster is one of the better games Square has released in fact.

I tried a few battles without Turbo Mode on and man... I don't know how people enjoyed this game on the 360.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017

Needed a few tries, but I did manage to complete the Nest of Eagles fight with my BR around 11. Just a matter of some luck and having one union on standby at first, preferably David's since he can use Gae Bolg, so they can resurrect/heal others.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Blocter can apparently tank now. He has a command that lets him enter a defensive stance where he takes all the attacks while those in the back ranks can deal with the enemies.
pywmXRu.jpg

At first I thought it was because of the formation I was using but it's the class that determines it (He became a Monk).

What other classes has more advanced commands tied to them?

More random screenshots:
CgFl4Rd.jpg

f8wfYeu.jpg

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Square released a new video that goes over the basics of combat in a concise and easy-to-understand manner. Also added it to the OT in the Battle System section.

Are there any unique attacks or just general commands in battle (attack with combat arts, attack with mystic arts, keep HP up, etc.)?