• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised at the lack of tutorials/guides on YouTube. Thankfully we have the Steam guides and Wiki, but still, a video going over the combat mechanics (especially hidden ones like how the class system can affect your union leader's likelihood of getting a restore/defend/flank/combat arts/mystic arts command), and other important stuff would be really nice for first-time players.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I'm honestly surprised at the lack of tutorials/guides on YouTube. Thankfully we have the Steam guides and Wiki, but still, a video going over the combat mechanics (especially hidden ones like how the class system can affect your union leader's likelihood of getting a restore/defend/flank/combat arts/mystic arts command), and other important stuff would be really nice for first-time players.

For the sake of newcomers, someone really need to make adjustment to the wiki where it says "PC" or "PC only" to "PC and Remaster".

For many, it isn't clear whether the remaster is based on PC or 360. (It's PC)

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm doing my NG+ run using the Static BR Scaling Mod (30 Steps 128&96 Linear Static version) I mentioned on the previous page, and man it really does improve the game IMO.

It's really nice to have the stress of the BR scaling system taken out of the game completely. I no longer get annoyed when I fight a solo enemy that dies before most of my units get a turn to attack. When I get a new character whose stats/skills are underdeveloped compared to my current units, I can do a little solo grinding and get them up to speed (bad idea in the unmodded game to raise your BR while only leveling the stats/skills of a single character).

I'm not sure I'd recommend the 30 Steps 128&96 Linear Static version to a beginner, because it does make the enemies harder in the early game - but this also means you don't have to link together more than 2 enemies to get a good, challenging battle where all of your units get at least 1 chance to level their skills. Still, for a first-time player I'd recommend using the Vanilla Base Level Static version, which, as it sounds, freezes enemy levels at their base BR.

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
Whew finally platinumed this game in one playtrough with last trophy being the true conqueror one. Beat him with BR 70, after so many tries with the last one by bringing 4 Cachexia users. I spent almost a week at Robellia trying to get the stats and skills up to finally take him down, with 1 or two hours training session per day or so. 3000+ links. So many thanks for TLR wikia/fandom page. Really helps me out.

While gameplay is nice, BR increase not really related to stat increase is a pain. Basically you have to really choose which unit you want to use from very beginning and stick with him/her. Otherwise, the new unit has to be trained again and make the BR higher. As this is based on PC, I think some of the skills got some bug, like thunder breath and caustic blast. Both of them now being whole map AoE skills really makes the fight hard against the enemies that have it. On the other hand, caustic blast could be a replacement for blackhole and it's cheaper to use and learn.

Again, thanks SE for remastering this and bringing it to PS4 so that I could finally play it. I don't think I missed any good JRPG by not owning X360 anymore with this game and ToV released for PS4.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Whew finally platinumed this game in one playtrough with last trophy being the true conqueror one. Beat him with BR 70, after so many tries with the last one by bringing 4 Cachexia users. I spent almost a week at Robellia trying to get the stats and skills up to finally take him down, with 1 or two hours training session per day or so. 3000+ links. So many thanks for TLR wikia/fandom page. Really helps me out.

While gameplay is nice, BR increase not really related to stat increase is a pain. Basically you have to really choose which unit you want to use from very beginning and stick with him/her. Otherwise, the new unit has to be trained again and make the BR higher. As this is based on PC, I think some of the skills got some bug, like thunder breath and caustic blast. Both of them now being whole map AoE skills really makes the fight hard against the enemies that have it. On the other hand, caustic blast could be a replacement for blackhole and it's cheaper to use and learn.

Again, thanks SE for remastering this and bringing it to PS4 so that I could finally play it. I don't think I missed any good JRPG by not owning X360 anymore with this game and ToV released for PS4.
Lost odyssey is the best jrpg on 360 though. By a long shot

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
It has been a week but they finally fixed the AoE bug with Caustic Blast and Thunderbreath with patch 1.03 on PS4.

Aside from the enemy aggro bug, are there any problems left with the remaster on PS4?

Somehow I doubt enemy aggro thing is a bug. Probably made deliberately to make it easier to lose aggro in order to avoid enemies. Especially in cave environments.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
What's the music track that plays in the city of Nagapur? I can't find it on Youtube for one thing :/

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
PS4 fans in North America, this game just got discounted to $9.99.

Worth jumping in at that price?

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
That's about the price I bought it for on Steam way back when, and I ended up getting over 270 hours out of it. So uh, yeah probably :P
I... actually don't think I want to spend 270 hours on one game ^_^;

If I can get the full experience with 50-60 hours of play, I'll pull the trigger.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Bought and started the game today.

Getting some FFXII and Xenosaga and maybe Star Ocean vibes here; nice.

Battle system is totally opaque to me so far. Got two Game Overs in a row in the first boss battle as I tried using Combat Arts, which I evidently wasn't supposed to do. One of my allies is telling me to fight enemies one at a time; the other wants me to fight them in a group for big rewards. Hey, right now just winning is OK with me!

I bought a better weapon for Rush in the starting town and discovered that I can put his original one in his off-hand. That seemed to help, or was that an illusion? The battles are really going too fast for me to understand what's going on right now.

And will it be possible to put three people in the same union? I can't seem to put more than two people together, and if I have three units, splitting them 2+1 gets that third unit slaughtered. Arranging units and unions, and which buttons do what, feels really unintuitive so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
One of my allies is telling me to fight enemies one at a time; the other wants me to fight them in a group for big rewards. Hey, right now just winning is OK with me!
The former gave you better advice. Early game, if you try to take on four enemy unions with just Rush and two buddies, that's going to end badly. Pick small fights during the first couple storyline missions. You'll get the ability to have more people in your party very soon, and then you can risk picking bigger/tougher fights.

I bought a better weapon for Rush in the starting town and discovered that I can put his original one in his off-hand. That seemed to help, or was that an illusion?
It does help with offense, but keep in mind you're obviously sacrificing defense too. Shields can sometimes be the difference between a close call and a party wipe.

The battles are really going too fast for me to understand what's going on right now.
Do you have Turbo mode turned on in battle? Keep in mind that if it says "Turbo Mode Off" onscreen, that's a prompt *to* turn it off, not an actual declaration that it is currently off.

And will it be possible to put three people in the same union? I can't seem to put more than two people together, and if I have three units, splitting them 2+1 gets that third unit slaughtered.
Very soon, yes. You're only that limited for a tiny stretch of the early game; pretty soon you'll be able to make 3 unions of 9 people total and things will become easier. For now, play it safe and invest in some basic restorative items so Rush and your healer (McCready, I think his name is?) can give quick aid to anyone who gets hurt.

Arranging units and unions, and which buttons do what, feels really unintuitive so far.
Yeah, the union interface is kinda clunky. You basically have to confirm what you want in each union, space by space, including all the empty spots.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks for the advice, SirNinja; this is good stuff. I'm making some progress in this game and it's finally becoming a little more understandable. I turned Turbo Mode off and also automated the triggers where you have to press a button at a specific instant.

After the Fiery Idol boss, I've got a bigger team and with two unions of soldiers things make much more sense.

I keep finding more and more areas to explore! Also, my party members keep asking for specific items, and sometimes I see them taking discovered items. How do I give them the items they ask for after I buy them?

And how do you teach party members specific skills? I'm finding Paralyzing and Poison Gas to be really powerful, but only Pagus has them. Do I just have to find and hire another person who has them, at one of the guilds in the cities?

And what determines the order in which your soldiers act? Often I'll need to heal up, but will be defeated before that person can act. When setting up a union, member 1 seems to be the one in the front; should I be putting an attacker there or a healer?

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Thanks for the advice, SirNinja; this is good stuff.
No problem! Just doing what I can to help.

I keep finding more and more areas to explore! Also, my party members keep asking for specific items, and sometimes I see them taking discovered items. How do I give them the items they ask for after I buy them?
Good question, as this is one of the things the game doesn't explain at all. Basically, once you buy or mine items that party members want, go fight some battles, and they'll eventually "clone" those items from your inventory (i.e., you'll still have the same number of said items afterwards). For this reason I recommend digging at as many dig spots as you can to get a wide range of different materials. As long as you have 2 or 3 of everything, your party members should upgrade their stuff at a steady pace.

And how do you teach party members specific skills? I'm finding Paralyzing and Poison Gas to be really powerful, but only Pagus has them. Do I just have to find and hire another person who has them, at one of the guilds in the cities?
Pretty much, yeah. Sometimes you also have to reach a certain Battle Rank in order for party members to learn certain skill types as well. The TLR wiki has a ton of info if you want to really get into what everyone can do. (Be sure to look under sections labeled "PC" rather than "Xbox", as TLR Remastered is based on the PC version.)

And what determines the order in which your soldiers act? Often I'll need to heal up, but will be defeated before that person can act. When setting up a union, member 1 seems to be the one in the front; should I be putting an attacker there or a healer?
Characters act in roughly (there is randomness involved, of course) the order of their Speed ("SPD") stat. It is generally a good idea to put physical attackers in the front of a formation and healers/mages in back, though this also leaves them more vulnerable if you're attacked by surprise ("Interception") or side-attacked/flanked, so be careful which union you send where in battle. Many formations also have special rules on top of that; Arrow of Athlum, for instance, gives the flanks a little more defense and the leader more cover.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks again for all this wonderful advice. I must confess that this game's story isn't exactly pulling me in, and the gameplay looks like it will be much more fun on a second playthrough when I've finally made some sense of the battle system. The FFXII vibes are nice, but the story doesn't measure up to that game's.

I actually got totally stuck at a big battle -- Eagles' Nest, near Celapaleis -- and decided to wander around the world just getting into battles and practicing. I noticed that my morale is almost always negative when fighting: it starts out bad if I just walk up to an enemy and initiate a fight; it's slightly better if I slow time down and initiate it, and it's truly awful if I get blindsided and they attack first.

I also tried the "fight two enemies at once for better rewards", and was able to win most of them. Indeed, I got better rewards.

Now I'm allowed 15 members and am off to an aqueduct; I might do some more exploration now that I have a bigger party.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
So I may have trapped myself here... the game auto-saved itself in between the two halves of a boss fight and I won the first part but can't win the second.

Six bases have appeared on the map and we're evidently supposed to fight our way through them. Stuck on the first one. Any quick and dirty ways to defeat boss Snievan so that I can proceed with the game? I'm getting hammered but am stuck here and can only reform my unions but not grind or acquire any items.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
So I may have trapped myself here... the game auto-saved itself in between the two halves of a boss fight and I won the first part but can't win the second.

Six bases have appeared on the map and we're evidently supposed to fight our way through them. Stuck on the first one. Any quick and dirty ways to defeat boss Snievan so that I can proceed with the game? I'm getting hammered but am stuck here and can only reform my unions but not grind or acquire any items.
Do you have a hard save before the Six Bases? The fights there are tough, and Snievan's one of the more difficult ones. If you can, try to shore up your physical defense as much as you can, cause Lugh's Revenge hurts a lot. Also try to keep your Morale up as much as possible; if anyone knows any Psionics that effect the morale bar, use those whenever they come up. Ditto whenever there's an opportunity to heal yourself or another union without breaking deadlock.

If it's any consolation/encouragement, Torgal will be able to learn/use Lugh's Revenge himself after his fight, if he's set as a Union leader. It can make the subsequent Base fights a lot easier if it procs. Good luck!

(One other thing: talk to the Duke of Ghor in between all the Base fights, especially if he's got a red speech bubble above him. It leads to a questline with several great rewards, including the opening of a whole new guild in Ghor with its own unique tasks and rewards.)

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
SirNinja mentioning the Duke of Ghor made me think of this, and I can't be bothered to check if I posted this already, but I highly recommend consulting a walkthrough from time to time, to make sure you don't miss any important sidequests. There are missable characters in this game, and some of them are very strong.

I used PinkPanther's Steam community guide and it was fantastic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531214170

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
My most recent hard save is quite a while before this; at the Aqueducts IIRC. I'd really like to find a way to win this fight.

I have been avoiding guides so as not to be spoiled; I only looked at a single "Missables" image with a list of quests that eventually disappear, and I did most of those.

PinkPanther's guide looks excellent (and I see him recommending doing Base 1 last because "after this battle another enemy has to be defeated without the ability to save in between"; never would have occurred to me as I just picked the first one first).

I might just put this game down for a little while and then go back to it with my Aqueduct save.

But what I really should do is study how this game's battles really work, deep down; I've been winging it and just going with what seems to work, with only a vague idea of the underlying mechanics. (For example, it took me far too long to notice that we gain AP quicker if we don't act during a turn.)

I'll keep the Duke of Ghor in mind if I can make progress! I actually opened up an additional guild sort of randomly earlier and got some ridiculous amounts of rewards from accumulated feats as soon as I visited them!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the strategy guide for the original would still be useful for this, or has too much stuff changed?

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Anyone know if the strategy guide for the original would still be useful for this, or has too much stuff changed?
If by original you mean the 2008 Xbox 360 version, then no, absolutely not. The game was substantially overhauled and improved for the 2009 Steam release, which is what Remastered is based on. A strategy guide written for the old Steam version will work perfectly fine here.

Collection of good guides

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
But what I really should do is study how this game's battles really work, deep down; I've been winging it and just going with what seems to work, with only a vague idea of the underlying mechanics. (For example, it took me far too long to notice that we gain AP quicker if we don't act during a turn.

I tried looking for a good YouTube video for this, but sadly TLR is such a niche game that there doesn't seem to be any truly great video guides out there.

Thankfully there's plenty of written guides:

(Steam) TLR Normal Mode Walkthrough and Guide: Maximal Results with Minimal Effort
The best one-stop TLR guide.

(Wiki) Frequently Asked Questions
(Steam) The Last Remnant Starter FAQ
(Steam) Things I Wish I Had Known....
FAQs/useful information.

(Wiki) Combat Basics
(Steam) Advanced [Combat] Strategy Guide
(Wiki) Battle Commands
Making sense of the complicated battle system.

(Steam) The Arts
(Wiki) Developing Arts
Very helpful info on which arts are the most useful, and how to level them up and reach the next arts.

(GameFAQs) Army Construction FAQ
(Steam) Unique Leader class guide
General info on army construction, and more detailed info on every leader.

(Wiki) Quick Walkthrough of Side Quests in Chronological Order
An easy page to consult if you want to make sure you're not missing any sidequests.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really disappointed to find the Japanese audio is included on console, but tied to the system language and with it having Japanese text. Wish I could have English text and Japanese audio for this.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Thanks again to Luap for linking all those guides! Several of them went into verifying a lot of stuff in the OT and beyond. I threadmarked your post earlier this month in the hopes it'll help anyone who's still trying to wrap their heads around this thing.

Really disappointed to find the Japanese audio is included on console, but tied to the system language and with it having Japanese text. Wish I could have English text and Japanese audio for this.
Yeah, and it's doubly frustrating for two reasons: it's been happening with a lot of games recently, and it's typically very easy to fix in the game's PC version if one exists. Take Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD on Switch: same language-audio lock, but a modder quickly found a way to enable users to mix and match whatever they liked. So it's really not much more than just a matter of Square caring enough to put that option in people's hands.

The PC version of TLR Remastered will likely have a similarly easy way to enable this...if it ever gets here. Thanks to a handy new forum feature, we now know that it's been exactly 5 years, 7 months, 17 days since the original game was removed for sale on Steam and has yet to be replaced with Remastered. :-/