• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is Cooking Mama: Cookstar a crypto miner? Probably not. Is it unauthorised? Yes, according to IP owner and original dev Office Create

Re: Unauthorized Release of Cooking Mama: Cookstar by Planet Entertainment LLC

We would like to thank our fans and customers for their support over the years for the Cooking Mama franchise. As many of you know, Planet Entertainment LLC (Headquarters: Connecticut, USA; "Planet") recently released "Cooking Mama: Cookstar" for sale in the U.S., Europe and Australia. This was an unauthorized release in breach of Planet's contract with Office Create.

In August 2018, Office Create licensed Planet to develop the Cooking Mama: Cookstar game for Nintendo Switch™. Unfortunately, the quality of the game builds failed to meet the standards that our customers expect and deserve. Office Create rejected a wide range of deficiencies affecting the overall feel, quality and content of the game. Yet, despite being contractually obligated to correct the identified deficiencies and resubmit the corrected game for Office Create's approval, Planet proceeded to release Cooking Mama: Cookstar without addressing all of the rejections and without Office Create's approval.

We have also learned that Planet and/or its European distributor has been promoting an upcoming European release of a PS4™ version of Cooking Mama: Cookstar. Office Create has not licensed Planet (or any other entity) to create any Cooking Mama games for PS4™. Office Create itself has not been involved in the development of any PS4™ Cooking Mama game.

On March 30, 2020 Office Create notified Planet of its immediate termination of the license due to Planet's intentional material breach of the license contract. Despite such notice, Planet continues to advertise and sell the unauthorized version of Cooking Mama: Cookstar on its website in willful violation of Office Create's rights. To date, Planet has not confirmed the status of the unauthorized PS4™ version.

Office Create is evaluating all legal action against Planet to protect our customers, intellectual property rights and the Cooking Mama series. In the meantime, we thank our customers and loyal Cooking Mama fans for their continued support and sincerely regret any confusion and disappointment that has been caused by Planet's conduct.

Original notice:

In Japanese:

terminate my contract if old

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
how silly do they have to be to release it like that, i really don't get it
were they expecting crazy buzz with the stupid crypto advertising

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
All we need is a Switch exploit through this game and we have the perfect recipe for a $500 game

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Crazy that Planet Entertainment thought they could just get away with releasing a game without the IP owners' consent and in violation of their licensing agreement

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah to me this is entirely Planet's fault and it can't be more obvious. What were they thinking? Planet was formed by the founder of the old XS Games publisher. You never knew much about XS Games, but I didn't think they'd do stuff like this. Hell Planet's prior Switch releases were fairly harmless. Nothing godawful (well the Data Design ports obviously likely being the exception).

I hope Office Create is now hard at work at Cooking Mama 6 for Switch internally. Get ahold of 505 Games as they took over Zumba Fitness on Switch from Majesco and they used to be the EU publisher of Cooking Mama ending with Cooking Mama 4 on 3DS. Rising Star is another pick as they did Cooking Mama Sweet Shop on 3DS in NA and EU.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This whole situation is really crazy; I really don't know how Planet expected anything they pulled to go well, lol.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, would be interesting to have been a fly in the room when Nintendo's legal team got that call.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You very rarely see something as brazen as this. Not sure how they thought they could get away with this.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the claim was that the mining code was in the game but "sloppily removed"? In which case, the source lied to Screenrant.
The article was about Office Create blocking the release of Cookstar because it wasn't up to quality, and Planet Entertainment were ignoring their suggestions and pushing the release anyway. The cryptomining thing was just marketing buzz to get investors, apparently.

https://screenrant.com/cooking-mama-cookstar-switch-eshop-controversy-crypto-mining/

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Also, they tried to release it on PS4
i think cooking mama was a nintendo console exclusive, right?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I feel like I should buy this just to have it in my collection but it's steep at $60. Still, you'd figure this game could be worth something in the future, no?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So in the likelihood that this game never gets more printings, this will be a pretty rare collector's item?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game really that bad? My daughter seems to enjoy it, and the little I played seemed ok as well.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Planet was low on cash or something. Cuz I can't think of any other reason to do this.

This game is definitely gonna be the Switch's PT though.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I knew something wasn't right when Mama started spouting dumb internet lingo. How could they do her like this?

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
We have also learned that Planet and/or its European distributor has been promoting an upcoming European release of a PS4™ version of Cooking Mama: Cookstar. Office Create has not licensed Planet (or any other entity) to create any Cooking Mama games for PS4™. Office Create itself has not been involved in the development of any PS4™ Cooking Mama game.

So does the PS4 version actually exist? Did Planet actually manage develop that version without the license or were they lying about it in the marketing? I'm curious if anyone has found any retail PS4 copies around. This situation is quite bizarre. I've never heard a developer try to blatantly violate their licensing agreement like this.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Might have to try to get my hands on the game since the prices are about to fucking skyrocket.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I really wonder how troubled the communication between the companies must have been for this to happen. Nobody smart enough to make a video game could be dumb enough to release something like this and expect to get away scott-free IMO.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So does the PS4 version actually exist? Did Planet actually manage develop that version without the license or were they lying about it in the marketing? I'm curious if anyone has found any retail PS4 copies around. This situation is quite bizarre. I've never heard a developer try to blatantly violate their licensing agreement like this.

I don't think it exists. No copies, not at PSN, no reviews.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
(Hugs his sealed copy)

I think I may have to try and acquire another copy...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

The PS4 version was supposed to come out some time after the Switch version. Presumably it exists in some form, but as far as I know it hasn't been released yet (and may never be released now).

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The game was announced back in August last year. How did Office Create not notice Planet Entertainment's marketing?

According to the notice, PE seems to have properly obtained the licence for Switch development. The problem is apparently that they released the game without getting Office Create's approval for the final build, or something along those lines. OC took the licence back at the end of March, but Planet apparently hasn't stopped selling.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
EU PS4 version is scheduled for release on April 28. PS4 version will be the one to keep an eye on.