• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
There was another that happened in the Rams game today. Dude hit with his shoulder, same shit and they flagged for 15.

The game is being ruined, your move XFL.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Vince McMahon right now

giphy.gif

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the NFL but you take the helmets off these guys you get the same amazing talent with like 10% of the concussion risk of today's game.

Also the opening to marketing these players goes from a garage door to the Panama Canal overnight.

You can still play a high impact contact sport like American football at an elite level without firing your head into another man's head. The helmet was a reality as the game evolved and now it's a liability in its current state

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I like watching football, even with some of the questionable things they have started to enforce and in spite of Goodell's bullshit.

But what the fuck penalty was that? Are we like one or two seasons away from just playing flag or touch football?

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's an idea:

Hey, you want to play Football for a living?

> Sure.

Ok, it's physically taxing and potentially dangerous to your health, are you ok with that?

> Yeah

Cool, sign here.

OR:

> No

Ok, best of luck with your other endeavors.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I understand what they're trying to do here. Poor application of it.

Point appears to be to tackle but not unnecessarily slam the player to the ground. And probably avoid driving with your body weight whenever possible.

Oct 28, 2017
Here's an idea:

> Sure.

Ok, it's physically taxing and potentially dangerous to your health, are you ok with that?

> Yeah

Cool, sign here.

OR:

> No

Are you proposing the league should not make efforts to make the sport safer as more and more research shows the lasting brain damage done by playing football?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean that's what a tackle is. That's HOW you tackle somebody is to use your body weight.
There's a bit more nuance to it than that and you're bright enough to differentiate.

Generally speaking, do we give a fuck about player safety and concussions or don't we? You can't claim to want the game to become safer but recoil when you see new rules designed to do just that. It's clear what their goal here is, despite this particular application of said rule being poor.

People should probably reflect on what is important to them in this equation.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You guys should try rugby. It's like NFL, but without the armour and ad breaks. It's a much more free-flowing game, and if you like seeing guys smash each other to the ground, you'll love it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dreams-Visions said:
I understand what they're trying to do here. Poor application of it.

Point appears to be to tackle but not unnecessarily slam the player to the ground. And probably avoid driving with your body weight whenever possible.

There's a bit more nuance to it than that and you're bright enough to differentiate.

Generally speaking, do we give a fuck about player safety and concussions or don't we? You can't claim to want the game to become safer but recoil when you see new rules designed to do just that. It's clear what their goal here is, despite this particular application of said rule being poor.

So in your opinion, how is a smaller person supposed to tackle a larger person? Fuckin' Judo?

Oct 27, 2017
If this is what is required to get players to stop leading with their helmets then so be it. I assume it's a step over the line during preseason for a reason.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe he didn't whisper in the QB's ear "It's going to be okay" before asking him to lay down on the ground. Well deserved penalty.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

I think if you polled the individuals who watch the game weekly, the answer would probably be no. The players make too much money and they need to toughen up.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I know this is hyperbole, but it's still kinda.. Idk. Sad? To think that this would be necessary to feel great while playing a competitive sport.
It's more nuanced than you're making it out to be, obviously.

The NFL has made a lot of reasonable steps recently to protect players from concussion, such as the new penalties for helmet-led contact. These are smart steps to try and dissuade tacklers from just trying to 'blow up' ball carriers so they get on highlight reels and instead encourage technically sound and safe tackles instead.

There are so many examples of high skill play in the NFL from spectacular catches to pancake blocks to pass rushing to QB scrambles and the tackle in the OP is, to all observers, just an example of a great defensive play. Its well timed, shows great awareness and the actual tackle itself is as safe as you could possibly ask.

I promise that most of the hardcore NFL fans like myself are more concerned about actually safe and technically well executed tackles like that being penalised than we are somehow lamenting the lack of hits in the sport.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I think a lot of people are of the opinion that if you take the physicality from football it's not worth watching. That any number of other sports would be better instead.

Septim

Oct 27, 2017
The game was so infuriating to watch live. Just a constant stream of BS penalties and no game flow . This call was the topper though.

Either the league and fans want to keep tackle football or they don't. These half measures make no sense and will ruin the game.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with policing these hits is it ignores the fact that football itself is unsafe. The theory around CTE is not that big hits cause this phenomenon exclusively. All clashes minor and major over a period of time cause it. Just clashing helmets at the line causes it.

The NFL should police this if they want to be considerate and ethical, but I wonder if it is even possible for the football we know and love to exist without neutering the game completely.

It's implementation in the preseason appears to show this as an attempt to make the game more exciting with higher scores versus presenting a reasonable policy to limit/mitigate head injuries.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an idea:

> Sure.

> Yeah

Cool, sign here.

OR:

> No

But then how do you do that to 13 year old kids?

In the past and in the present, the NFL, NHL etc lied and suppressed medical evidence to prevent even the most aware players to make an educated and informed choice.

You also enter a scenario where you are asking poor children to sign away their mental rights and lives for "the chance" to make any money at all in football by going and playing college football.

Children are deciding in elementary school, high school, and college to damage their brains before there is any chance to even attempt to make a living playing football.

I don't think it's as easy as signing a waiver.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This happened in the 49ers game last night. I don't know what the league is expecting players to do.