• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Shawn Hochuli apparently called this. Hopefully he gets an ear full from his dad. Terrible call.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
How was that a penalty? Not low nor helmet.

They said he used his body weight to force the QB to the ground. It was downright awful and I'm surprised Paul Allen (the Vikings announcer) didn't blow a fuse.

The 49ers / Texans game tonight was awful as well. SF had a great, textbook tackle on a punt called for a penalty as well. Took the enjoyment out of the game.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
This is the Aaron Rodgers rule. If a star player suffers a serious injury, you can bet the next year there will be a new rule to try and retroactively prevent the injury. Protecting the quarterbacks is more important to the NFL than having rules that make sense.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They're being really liberal with any tackle that looks like the defender lowered his head. There have been a couple shitty calls in the Broncos Bears game as well.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
He did run right into the guy and drag him down to the ground. You are supposed to just touch them I thought.

What? If you are only supposed to touch them then why didnt they blow the whistle until he hit the ground? They need to figure this out, because if you touch the guy and back off then he launches a 80 yard bomb because you didnt tackle him thats BS.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
What? If you are only supposed to touch them then why didnt they blow the whistle until he hit the ground? They need to figure this out, because if you touch the guy and back off then he launches a 80 yard bomb because you didnt tackle him thats BS.
I was joking, but honestly at this rate the NFL will be full-on touch football rules before we know it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man the roar of the crowd when the penalty was announced.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
congratz birds we won the last super bowl champs forever

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
The only actual way to make football safe is to replace the players with robots.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
it looked like the QB's head whipped back at the end to the turf but I don't think it was really the tackler's fault. Maybe that's what the refs saw.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
lol honestly the NFL is done long-term, I feel like the decline is inevitable. Between rules to try and make it "safer" while still doing lasting damage to players' brains, and not knowing what a fucking catch is, it's just random penalties and things now.

If they don't want QBs to get hit then put a different jersey on 'em and say they can't be hit, two-hand touch or flags or whatever bullshit

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
the eagles finally nabbing in a super bowl right before these dumbass rule changes is the real life equivalent of disarming a movie bomb with 0.03 seconds left

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ya it's a bad call, it happens. I don't understand the hyperbole or is this that gif with the dude standing up, opening his arms and "this is resetera"?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised to see people here still watching this organization
I stopped watching when I dropped cable a couple years ago (with the exception of maybe going to a superbowl party or seeing a game at Thanksgiving). All the protesting and no-kneeling policy's came after and it just made it easier to stop caring about it.

I was actually surprised when I picked up some takeout earlier today and saw a game on, and the team I used to watch too (Seahawks). Couldn't tell you a single player or coach on that team now.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped watching when I dropped cable a couple years ago (with the exception of maybe going to a superbowl party or seeing a game at Thanksgiving). All the protesting and no-kneeling policy's came after and it just made it easier to stop caring about it.

The protesting makes it awesome. Love that these guys giving a middle finger to racist America.

Nov 1, 2017

I was actually surprised when I picked up some takeout earlier today and saw a game on, and the team I used to watch too (Seahawks). Couldn't tell you a single player or coach on that team now.

You can't name Russell Wilson or Pete Carroll?

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Ya it's a bad call, it happens. I don't understand the hyperbole or is this that gif with the dude standing up, opening his arms and "this is resetera"?
It's not just some standard bad call, it was a horrific call. Nothing in the rulebook prohibits this or anything like it that I can tell.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was about as careful as a tackle as one could make.

Hope its just a bad call and not what to expect this year.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
What they are probably saying is he didn't need to pull that bit of a rotation after the QB was completely down.

It was a good form tackle... The QB is downed... The defender rotates and falls into the QB. The defender probably rotates because he got hit the ground and physics but the defender needs to be in control of his body etc.

Its also preseason for the refs. There is always an edict to make the game safer and this is taking one of them to an extreme. It's better for the process to actually call this now so they have something to look at and be like this is not what we mean.

There will be more of these in the preseason like every year and you will hardly see something even close to this be called when the games mean something.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Bad call but if a defensive player is going to get penalized for such hits, then theyvmight as well get their monies worth and lay the QB out.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The protesting makes it awesome. Love that these guys giving a middle finger to racist America.
Oh for sure, I meant more the League and some of the teams banning that stuff and blacklisting players.
You can't name Russell Wilson or Pete Carroll?
Honestly didn't even know they were still there. Last game I saw for more than a few minutes I was surprised at how few names I remembered, and as much as I liked Pete Carroll it wouldn't have surprised me if he had left of something in the last.

Honestly, Mike Holmgren is still the first name I think of when I think "Seahawks" and he hasn't been there in 10 years!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This is like the worst performance art critique ever. lol NFL continues down the road of being a joke.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol roughing the passer on a sack.

They're just doing what they've been doing on passes for the last 5+ years. Any time someone gets hit hard it's an automatic flag even if it was a legit play.