• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on graduating! Don't sweat the class they won't fail/prevent a 3L from graduating.
I legit blacked out that whole exam. I looked at my notes and I wrote things I don't remember writing. I'm more worried about job hunting if I failed that exam.

Okay I looked at my search history and I was at least searching for these (we were allowed)

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I found some google searches that were related I think... I mean I'm not doing big law and like fucking covid. Are grades anykind of representation this year?

The market for associates is pretty hot right now both for big law and boutique litigation firms. Ultimately an employee is not going to change their mind on whether to hire you based on a single grade in a specific class. Focus on your job search and take a short (well earned) break before starting bar prep.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The market for associates is pretty hot right now both for big law and boutique litigation firms. Ultimately an employee is not going to change their mind on whether to hire you based on a single grade in a specific class. Focus on your job search and take a short (well earned) break before starting bar prep.
we'll it might be multiple grades this semester. But I know what my work product can be and plan to network the hell out of my law school and SoCal. I don't think my grades, given this year (and yeas I know people still excelled) are reflective of me

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got back two grades and they're better than I thought but all my grades I really worried about are still to come...

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody posted in a while but the bar is Thursday and I'm certain I'm going to fail. I just feel like all these rules are fine on the MBE but the essays are just hell. I feel like I freeze up. I spot issues but I struggle to remember the exact rules. And the PT is a total crap shoot since I have no idea what it's gonna be.

I've heard this is normal but I regret not doing more essays.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody posted in a while but the bar is Thursday and I'm certain I'm going to fail. I just feel like all these rules are fine on the MBE but the essays are just hell. I feel like I freeze up. I spot issues but I struggle to remember the exact rules. And the PT is a total crap shoot since I have no idea what it's gonna be.

I've heard this is normal but I regret not doing more essays.

I've posted maybe twice in this thread, but sad someone who took the bar in two states, youve guy this, friend. My intern is taking it and I'm sending her positive vibes as well!

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've posted maybe twice in this thread, but sad someone who took the bar in two states, youve guy this, friend. My intern is taking it and I'm sending her positive vibes as well!
I feel good about the MBE but the essays and remember the rules is what I'm worried about. I spot issues but I sometimes forget how to explain the rule. Also not sure if coming to a different conclusion is "wrong" Like I took a practice contracts essay and thought someone's scilence to a comment from another amounted to "negligent misrepresentation" but the model answers said there was no duty so it's okay…

There's just so much on the Cal Bar with cal specific evidence, PR, wills, civpro…

forgot to say thanks! I'm superstitious so I'm planning on failing because If I'm to positive Some god or god will spite me

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I feel good about the MBE but the essays and remember the rules is what I'm worried about. I spot issues but I sometimes forget how to explain the rule. Also not sure if coming to a different conclusion is "wrong" Like I took a practice contracts essay and thought someone's scilence to a comment from another amounted to "negligent misrepresentation" but the model answers said there was no duty so it's okay…

There's just so much on the Cal Bar with cal specific evidence, PR, wills, civpro…

forgot to say thanks! I'm superstitious so I'm planning on failing because If I'm to positive Some god or god will spite me
You will pass bro.

A lot of people don't feel good going into the exam and come out doing much better than they expected.

I also think the essays are much easier than the MBE, so if you are acing those you got this.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You will pass bro.

A lot of people don't feel good going into the exam and come out doing much better than they expected.

I also think the essays are much easier than the MBE, so if you are acing those you got this.

Its more of the MBE's prompt me and make me remember things. The essays I feel like I'm drowning in facts not sure If I'm geting them right.

Like I don't know under a contract breach whats the formula for expectation damages. I think if buyer breaches its contract-resale or contract- market and if seller breaches its cover-contract (under UCC) or cost of repair but I don't fucking know....

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone in California give me some of their experience taking the LSAT? I'm shooting for law school in the spring semester after I finish up my History degree this fall. How long did you study? How intense was the studying? How hard was the test? How did you do? etc.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone in California give me some of their experience taking the LSAT? I'm shooting for law school in the spring semester after I finish up my History degree this fall. How long did you study? How intense was the studying? How hard was the test? How did you do? etc.
General advice from a friend who scored in the high 170s, take as many practice tests as you can to get used to the time constraints/cadence and question style. Take a class if you need the structure or money isnt an object. As the tests are all about reasoning and comprehension, once you've done a few practice questions to understand how each questions are structured, time management becomes key which means running full tests.

I advise against doing what I did, which was take the test cold. I have a bad habit in that regard.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Not in Cali but I scored decently. I studied for like 3-ish hours a day for 2 months before taking it. I did lots of practice questions and tests. I didn't think the test itself was too bad but the running of the exam was terrible.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Also not in Cali, but as the LSAT is the same everywhere I don't think this actually matters.

This was several years ago now but I got into law school because of how well I did on the LSAT - I did rather poorly in my undergrad and nothing less than a very exceptional result was going to get me in. I prepared for the LSAT by doing real tests that I downloaded illegally from the internet three or four times a week for three months. I did them on real "LSAT time" (iirc 35 minute chunks with five minute breaks in between) at the library. I don't know anyone who did as well on the LSAT as I did and I attribute this both to the volume of preparation I did and the fact that I prepared by doing real tests rather than taking a course or using a book. I was able to score mid-170s on the LSAT because I had in fact done it multiple times before; the only difference with the real test was a change in environment.

There are essentially two challenging aspects of the LSAT. The first is that generally speaking you don't have as much time as you'd like to answer the questions, and there's likely to be at least one or two questions per section that give you trouble. The second is the logic games section, which tests a skill you've probably never had to use before and will need to spend some time honing. The logic games section is particularly problematic because if you make a mistake on one game you're apt to get several questions wrong.

The solution to both of these problems is to give yourself time to gradually get used to doing them. I'd suggest starting LSAT prep a full three months before you actually take the test. My recollection is that I stopped improving my score after about two months, but I'm still glad I put the extra time in because when I actually wrote the test I got tripped up a bit and had to answer a lot of questions in a shorter timeframe than I was otherwise used to. My comfort with the test as a whole was what enabled me to get through that. I'd advise against starting much earlier than that, though, as it's likely to be a waste of your time.

Speaking of time, preparing for the LSAT was not fun. I don't remember that period of my life particularly fondly; I lost a lot of time to preparing for the LSAT and I felt that it made me oddly irritable like I was spending hours a day correcting grammar. About this I will just say that don't make the mistake of conflating the experience of preparing for the LSAT with actual law school, to which there is basically no connection. Also, take some time to align your LSAT prep with your law school goals: if you don't need a 170+, I wouldn't really recommend shooting for it, as getting there is hard work.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Also not in Cali, but as the LSAT is the same everywhere I don't think this actually matters.

This was several years ago now but I got into law school because of how well I did on the LSAT - I did rather poorly in my undergrad and nothing less than a very exceptional result was going to get me in. I prepared for the LSAT by doing real tests that I downloaded illegally from the internet three or four times a week for three months. I did them on real "LSAT time" (iirc 35 minute chunks with five minute breaks in between) at the library. I don't know anyone who did as well on the LSAT as I did and I attribute this both to the volume of preparation I did and the fact that I prepared by doing real tests rather than taking a course or using a book. I was able to score mid-170s on the LSAT because I had in fact done it multiple times before; the only difference with the real test was a change in environment.

There are essentially two challenging aspects of the LSAT. The first is that generally speaking you don't have as much time as you'd like to answer the questions, and there's likely to be at least one or two questions per section that give you trouble. The second is the logic games section, which tests a skill you've probably never had to use before and will need to spend some time honing. The logic games section is particularly problematic because if you make a mistake on one game you're apt to get several questions wrong.

The solution to both of these problems is to give yourself time to gradually get used to doing them. I'd suggest starting LSAT prep a full three months before you actually take the test. My recollection is that I stopped improving my score after about two months, but I'm still glad I put the extra time in because when I actually wrote the test I got tripped up a bit and had to answer a lot of questions in a shorter timeframe than I was otherwise used to. My comfort with the test as a whole was what enabled me to get through that. I'd advise against starting much earlier than that, though, as it's likely to be a waste of your time.

Speaking of time, preparing for the LSAT was not fun. I don't remember that period of my life particularly fondly; I lost a lot of time to preparing for the LSAT and I felt that it made me oddly irritable like I was spending hours a day correcting grammar. About this I will just say that don't make the mistake of conflating the experience of preparing for the LSAT with actual law school, to which there is basically no connection. Also, take some time to align your LSAT prep with your law school goals: if you don't need a 170+, I wouldn't really recommend shooting for it, as getting there is hard work.

All good stuff especially this:

About this I will just say that don't make the mistake of conflating the experience of preparing for the LSAT with actual law school, to which there is basically no connection.

I knew people who scored better than me on the LSAT and didn't make it past the first semester. Law school is a different beast.

Don't make the mistake of being cocky about it if you do score well. Law school is still tons of work.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finished the cal bar. kinda ran out of time on the performance test (I got a conclusion but it wasn't as good as I wanted it. didn't do as much application as I wanted). otherwise didn't feel as bad as I thought which I don't know is a good or bad thing. Don't know if I applied the law right on all the essays but I spent every second.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also do bar review courses make their mbe practice tests harder than the real Mbe? they felt far less "tricky" either that or all the practice made me spot what they were testing and the answer jumped out a lot more easy or the wrong answers were just clearly wrong because they were clearly trying to trick you into a "common sense" answer

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also I feel super lucky my essay were on topics that I felt more comfortable on...

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats man - and general the practice questions are harder - at least that's how it was when I took it years ago.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats man - and general the practice questions are harder - at least that's how it was when I took it years ago.
I feel like it's advantageous for them so people are happy with them rather than pissed off.

It just felt like the MBE while still making sure you knew what they were testing and making sure you knew certain exceptions and somewhat obscure rules wasn't trying to "trick" you

the hardest part is there's a lot of answers that are "right" but either not complete, or overly broad, or not the best, most specific reason why the court does what it does in the call.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like one of the answers will be "because it it violates the 14th amendment" and another will be "because alienage is a suspect classification and the government must show a compelling governmental interest that's narrowly tailored" or just "why is this law unconstitutional and it will just have that "violates the 14th amendment" answer and one that specifically gets at the fact that it's not "least restrictive means"

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
also do bar review courses make their mbe practice tests harder than the real Mbe? they felt far less "tricky" either that or all the practice made me spot what they were testing and the answer jumped out a lot more easy or the wrong answers were just clearly wrong because they were clearly trying to trick you into a "common sense" answer
The bar review courses* use have old questions (I think exclusively) in the bank and when curating the bank will favor questions/topics that folks get wrong more often so it will trend harder in an effort to make the training efficient.

There has been some accusation of test prep services running harder tests (especially for SAT), but in the case of at least Bar Prep, all of the prep services all use old questions and outlines provided by the NCBE and state bars for local topics. They also tend to recruit professors as instructors who have previously been engaged by the National Conference of Bar Examiners.

As you move forward in your career you may find that many state bars have ongoing bar exam review committees, in addition to the committees that administer/run the exam. The debate about the bar is ongoing. I hope to get involved in the future.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bar review courses* use have old questions (I think exclusively) in the bank and when curating the bank will favor questions/topics that folks get wrong more often so it will trend harder in an effort to make the training efficient.

There has been some accusation of test prep services running harder tests (especially for SAT), but in the case of at least Bar Prep, all of the prep services all use old questions and outlines provided by the NCBE and state bars for local topics. They also tend to recruit professors as instructors who have previously been engaged by the National Conference of Bar Examiners.

As you move forward in your career you may find that many state bars have ongoing bar exam review committees, in addition to the committees that administer/run the exam. The debate about the bar is ongoing. I hope to get involved in the future.
My biggest thing is the time given. It just seems unfair. Most law school exams are 2-4 hours on a single topic with open notes. Aka how you'd actually draft a brief.

The bar thinks you should have this memorized. Which I think is insane. maybe the MBE is rather fair. But the essays and their open ended ness just seem like torture. No lawyer is gonna sit there here facts and then just opine. In fact every model rules or state rules say that's unethical! you're gonna consult treatise and other cases that take time to find

But on the question of bar prep using older stuff that's def true because it was easy to spot a new topic they put in the 25 non counted questions (cough, fair housing law)

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
General advice from a friend who scored in the high 170s, take as many practice tests as you can to get used to the time constraints/cadence and question style. Take a class if you need the structure or money isnt an object. As the tests are all about reasoning and comprehension, once you've done a few practice questions to understand how each questions are structured, time management becomes key which means running full tests.

I advise against doing what I did, which was take the test cold. I have a bad habit in that regard.

Not in Cali but I scored decently. I studied for like 3-ish hours a day for 2 months before taking it. I did lots of practice questions and tests. I didn't think the test itself was too bad but the running of the exam was terrible.

I really appreciate the responses. I'm going to try to do as well as possible on my LSAT obviously but at this point I will feel grateful if I can get in anywhere given how hard I have worked to even reach where I am at right now. I have a couple buddies from elementary-high school who are lawyers who I am going to lean on for advice as well. I remember one specifically mentioning the logic games and how he actually enjoys them so I will be getting some advice from him as well.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the responses. I'm going to try to do as well as possible on my LSAT obviously but at this point I will feel grateful if I can get in anywhere given how hard I have worked to even reach where I am at right now. I have a couple buddies from elementary-high school who are lawyers who I am going to lean on for advice as well. I remember one specifically mentioning the logic games and how he actually enjoys them so I will be getting some advice from him as well.
just remember if you do well or bad on the games it has nothing to do with out well or bad you'll be as a lawyer the LSAT is a horrible test but obviously most schools still require it

Oct 25, 2017
Hello lawyers and future lawyers, I'd like to take a moment and remind you if you're in a bad place with your job or school to reach out to your states lawyer assistance program to talk to someone who has been where you are and work on coping techniques or mental health referrals. It's a brutal and ugly profession at times that can drive you into the ground if you're not careful. Stay safe and healthy and take care of yourself out there.

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself becoming increasingly burnt out. About 18 years of practice spread over two states and basically three jobs, the last of which I've been at for 4 years. Almost entirely public service. The past 8 months I've been in management essentially rebuilding my team after 50% turn over without replacement over the pandemic and at the end of 2020. All while maintainIng my own caseload which has included a recent federal jury trial that I won. It turns out that a good portion of the team who stayed were not nearly as progressed in their career as previous managment thought and I have had to basically pull cases from attorneys older than I am and sideline them on all but simple matters. Some of the errors have resulted in significantly increased settlements. I've made errors myself due to exhaustion but they have only cost time not money, thankfully, but I do feel embarrased and a failure as a leader. The good news is that the people I have hired, 6 attorneys and 2 paralegals, have all been really outstanding from one out of lawschool to several 30+ year lawyers, and the cases that have had issues were from before my management period, it just takes that long for issues to become apparent due to delayed court rulings. I feel like a 100 loss baseball general manager who took over a gutted team and has to flip half their roster using draft picks. We are much better today than Jan 1 and in 2020 and even 2019 but we are still having real issues and I'm just worn out. it has come at a significant emotional cost to me. I find no joy in really anything and haven't for months, outside my family (including a 6 month old and 2 older kids). I can't exercise, I find no joy in cooking, I can't listen to music. Some video games, some movies- music and exercise allows too much room for ruminating. Just a deep deep funk. I've lost 10 pounds due to stress over the summer due to not being able to eat for significant periods.

I'm wondering what its like to have a regular attorney job, out of the public sector, outside of the movers and shakers not be in the know on big issues (including cases that have had threads in this forum), just a regular bill 1800-2000 hours job at some firm with a bunch of names that no one outside of law has ever heard of. Could I be happy in something like that, just a worker bee at a firm? I am too risk averse to go solo and I don't have the killer instinct required to be a plaintiff's attorney (the dirtyness I've seen lately from some in the plaintiff's bar out for money has been really illuminating lately). I don't know. I really need a vacation, that's for sure. I know someone whose wife is the breadwinner, works with my wife, and her husband just left the law after moving to Texas and has really done nothing for years. I wondered how you could get to that point and I think I see it now.

Thanks for the read, needed catharsis.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I find myself becoming increasingly burnt out. About 18 years of practice spread over two states and basically three jobs, the last of which I've been at for 4 years. Almost entirely public service. The past 8 months I've been in management essentially rebuilding my team after 50% turn over without replacement over the pandemic and at the end of 2020. All while maintainIng my own caseload which has included a recent federal jury trial that I won. It turns out that a good portion of the team who stayed were not nearly as progressed in their career as previous managment thought and I have had to basically pull cases from attorneys older than I am and sideline them on all but simple matters. Some of the errors have resulted in significantly increased settlements. I've made errors myself due to exhaustion but they have only cost time not money, thankfully, but I do feel embarrased and a failure as a leader. The good news is that the people I have hired, 6 attorneys and 2 paralegals, have all been really outstanding from one out of lawschool to several 30+ year lawyers, and the cases that have had issues were from before my management period, it just takes that long for issues to become apparent due to delayed court rulings. I feel like a 100 loss baseball general manager who took over a gutted team and has to flip half their roster using draft picks. We are much better today than Jan 1 and in 2020 and even 2019 but we are still having real issues and I'm just worn out. it has come at a significant emotional cost to me. I find no joy in really anything and haven't for months, outside my family (including a 6 month old and 2 older kids). I can't exercise, I find no joy in cooking, I can't listen to music. Some video games, some movies- music and exercise allows too much room for ruminating. Just a deep deep funk. I've lost 10 pounds due to stress over the summer due to not being able to eat for significant periods.

I'm wondering what its like to have a regular attorney job, out of the public sector, outside of the movers and shakers not be in the know on big issues (including cases that have had threads in this forum), just a regular bill 1800-2000 hours job at some firm with a bunch of names that no one outside of law has ever heard of. Could I be happy in something like that, just a worker bee at a firm? I am too risk averse to go solo and I don't have the killer instinct required to be a plaintiff's attorney (the dirtyness I've seen lately from some in the plaintiff's bar out for money has been really illuminating lately). I don't know. I really need a vacation, that's for sure. I know someone whose wife is the breadwinner, works with my wife, and her husband just left the law after moving to Texas and has really done nothing for years. I wondered how you could get to that point and I think I see it now.

Thanks for the read, needed catharsis.

So sorry to hear it. Definitely sounds like you need to take a break/vacation and do some deep soul searching. I started as a litigator in NYC and realized very early on how easily it can burn you out by speaking with older lawyers who were just miserable. Made the move to in-house about 20 years ago and never once regretted it. My wife also switched from litigation to in-house a few years ago as well and she is much happier as a result. Not saying that is for you, but maybe it is time to think about a change.

This stuff can really wear you down. I hope you find the right path for you.

Oct 25, 2017
So sorry to hear it. Definitely sounds like you need to take a break/vacation and do some deep soul searching. I started as a litigator in NYC and realized very early on how easily it can burn you out by speaking with older lawyers who were just miserable. Made the move to in-house about 20 years ago and never once regretted it. My wife also switched from litigation to in-house a few years ago as well and she is much happier as a result. Not saying that is for you, but maybe it is time to think about a change.

This stuff can really wear you down. I hope you find the right path for you.

Thanks, appreciate it. I used to love the courtroom. It's rough when that passion goes and you're 20 years from retirement!

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out I passed the California Bar Exam! Thanks for all the help and advice here!

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this community thread existed.

A school near me has a supplemental master's using classes from their law degree programs. It's just 32 credits and you can have a focus area, like child and family law, real estate law, Native American law, etc.

Is this kind of degree worthwhile?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It depends on what you'd like to do with it. Without a law degree you can't practice law, but with a specialization in one of those areas you'd have a really good chance at say managing a practice that focuses in that area, or working for a state agency in the respective specialty and say creating policy, or working for a non-profit in the specific field. I'd actually talk to their career office and see what type of work they refer to and graduates with those degrees are doing today.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Last edited:

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Is this still a thing? Joined the party a couple months ago and am part of the bar.

I'm sure it only gets sillier from here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Is this still a thing? Joined the party a couple months ago and am part of the bar.

I'm sure it only gets sillier from here.
It's not really a thing, but I still follow this thread, so...

I dunno. Being a lawyer sucks, but I've been doing this for about 12 years now, so it's not like I can change over to any other, more meaningful profession. It's all been public service too.

What's your area of practice? What do you want to do? What are you excited about, and what's troubling you?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a tech adjacent law at a big firm, so things are good so far. Not expecting to get replaced by Harvey just yet.

Excited to be here at the moment and the firm has walked the talk so far about work life balance, but we'll see how that pans out.

Feel like if it doesn't, I'll have solid exit strategies anyway but going to give it a good push and see if I can stick it out

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
So I never went back after my leave of absence. My mental health wasn't great and I was trying to figure everything out after my father's passing.

I think I'm ready to go back. I talked to the Dean and they are willing to let me start where I left off as a rising 1L.

I know law can be terrible and there's a lot to be down about in the profession but the only job I ever had that was fulfilling and I enjoyed was my legal internship in housing law helping tenants stay in their homes. I think it's worth going back simply for that.

Last edited:

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself and don't hesitate to ask for help from medical professionals and the school alike.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So I never went back after my leave of absence. My mental health wasn't great and I was trying to figure everything out after my father's passing.

I think I'm ready to go back. I talked to the Dean and they are willing to let me start where I left off as a rising 1L.

I know law can be terrible and there's a lot to be down about in the profession but the only job I ever had that was fulfilling and I enjoyed was my legal internship in housing law helping tenants stay in their homes. I think it's worth going back simply for that.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Best of luck.