• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Well you could apply and see what they offer and defer for a year for a better LSAT if you like, as you can certainly negotiate with admissions for a scholarship.

Note, read the terms of any scholarship as you will have to keep a certain GPA and as a part time student that may be more difficult than you expect if you are being graded with the full time students.

Good luck.

Thanks. That's my plan to just apply and see what happned. I noticed that Pepperdine has an "Extended" option, but isn't classified as part-time so I'm trying to get more information on that as well.

I did a part-time MBA in 3 years from a Top 15 school and managed a 3.7 GPA while working 40-50 hours a week, so I'm already accustomed to the lifestyle. It's just managing priorities closely and utilizing technology to the best of your ability. :)

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Property is like the trigonometry of law school/your legal career. Once you pass the class, you will probably never have to deal with it for the rest of your life.

You will most likely need it for the bar exam as well.

Also, if you are going to do any type of small general practice, you need to know property basics. I'm a GC and working on a property issue right now even though it has nothing directly to do with our business. Most of the fee simple stuff you learn is crap, but it helps to have a basic understanding of property law.

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting this in the other thread Jag, didn't know it existed. Been a lawyer for about 5 years so it's always nice to have another place to complain about day to day bullshit.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Property is like the trigonometry of law school/your legal career. Once you pass the class, you will probably never have to deal with it for the rest of your life.
I actually ended up doing fine in Property, better than the median and better than the subject I thought I knew more (civ pro). This semester I love the classes a lot more and am more confident going in and hopefully will get a substantive GPA boost (not that my GPA is bad at all. Con and Torts especially are just so much more interesting than Contracts and Property

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But fuck my school's legal writing class. It's a small section that's curved (a 13 person curve!?) and it's the most pedantic about thinks I know won't matter in practice (It has taught me a lot and is an important class I just think doing anything other than pass fail is inherently unfair for it)

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Hey all,

I'm thinking of signing up for the LSAT in July. Do you think this is a good amount of time to study? The LSAT seems fairly straight forward and doesn't seem to be a test that requires massive amounts of study time like when I took the MCAT so I think I should be okay?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

I'm thinking of signing up for the LSAT in July. Do you think this is a good amount of time to study? The LSAT seems fairly straight forward and doesn't seem to be a test that requires massive amounts of study time like when I took the MCAT so I think I should be okay?

60+ days should be sufficient. Are you taking a course?

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Can't afford it, unfortunately. I have a study partner though and I'm used to self-study with the aforementioned MCAT so staying on track won't be a problem.
Are you planning on applying this coming year? It should be enough and it also gives you the ability to take it in october and still get applications about before the end of the year which will give you a much better shot at getting in.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
No. Can't afford it, unfortunately. I have a study partner though and I'm used to self-study with the aforementioned MCAT so staying on track won't be a problem.

I don't know if this still sound advice but the LSAT bible books were excellent 14 years ago. Should be pretty easy to track them down. Check the usual forums to confirm.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Are you planning on applying this coming year? It should be enough and it also gives you the ability to take it in october and still get applications about before the end of the year which will give you a much better shot at getting in.

Yep! I do plan on applying this year. There are a few dual degree programs I really have my eye on.

I don't know if this still sound advice but the LSAT bible books were excellent 14 years ago. Should be pretty easy to track them down. Check the usual forums to confirm.

Thank you! Any resource I can get my hands on will help.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all,

I gave myself three months to prepare for the LSAT. I prepared by doing a lot of practice tests, and I didn't see any real difference between my scores after month two versus my scores after month three. However, you might want to consider signing up for a backup test date in case July doesn't go as planned.

On that note, I highly recommend doing (timed) practice tests. It's probably the best way to simulate the real thing.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my crim final. I hate the feeling of knowing you just didn't have time to talk about all the issues. Though I feel better than some people who wrote for 30 minutes about murder liability when the person in the fact pattern didn't die lol

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished my crim final. I hate the feeling of knowing you just didn't have time to talk about all the issues. Though I feel better than some people who wrote for 30 minutes about murder liability when the person in the fact pattern didn't die lol
I mean I guess it's a salient point that the guy's not liable for murder if the guy ain't dead.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess it's a salient point that the guy's not liable for murder if the guy ain't dead.
Yeah but that takes two lines. A bunch of people were going through murder 1, murder 2, voluntary homicide, negligent homicide. I just did attempted murder

I'm just pissed I didn't have time discuss an intoxication defense (it wouldn't have flown but probably could have gotten of points to explain, that its only availble for specific intent crimes (this was) but it was like UNITED STATES v Williams 332 F. Supp. 1 where he was voluntarily intoxicated by was clearly understanding what he was doing)

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
torts final was this morning. Feel decent about the essays but the MC was tough. So many doctrines....

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep! I do plan on applying this year. There are a few dual degree programs I really have my eye on.

Thank you! Any resource I can get my hands on will help.
practice tests (timed) are the most important thing. I can't stress this enough. The LSAT is about being comfortable with the time limits.

also go to a book store and find a study guide that works for you. I loved the LSAT bible much more than Kaplan and other sources because the way things were explained was much more intuitive.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my last final of 1L, now officially a 2L!!!! (Had to do a make up test). Feels good, now to the write on (which I can't talk about to anyone 🤫), and my internship (which still hasn't told me a start date), and job fairs/oci in July.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! Just finished my last one on this past Thursday! We're now 2Ls!
Made a journal! So happy about that!

Also how important are taking "bar courses" in law school? I mean I know I have to relearn this stuff after 3L. Things like GWATs, Bus Orgs, Community Property (in California), CrimPro? Is it better to take them 2l or 3l?

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Made a journal! So happy about that!

Also how important are taking "bar courses" in law school? I mean I know I have to relearn this stuff after 3L. Things like GWATs, Bus Orgs, Community Property (in California), CrimPro? Is it better to take them 2l or 3l?

Congrats on the journal. No idea when it's best to learn bar courses. May just be a personal preference. I was a bit more burned out by my 3rd year and the bar loomed big in the distance. Like you said, your bar prep is going to help more than anything.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just registered for fall.

GWATs
Evidence
Community Property (it a Cal Bar subject)
A con law seminar
And election law

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
So I finally picked a date. I'm taking the LSAT in September. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I got plenty of time to study and have been studying a bit lately already.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
For you all, how predictive were your practice tests for LSAT compared to your actual scores? I did a practice test as a diagnostic and I got a 161 while running out of time on the Logic Games part.

Dec 11, 2017
My LSAT score was a bit lower than my practice tests. Just make sure you do the more recent practice tests since I believe they switched up the reading comp section awhile back, and there may have been more recent changes that I am not aware of.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I'll let you know near the end of the month.... when my LSAT scores are finally available!

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with election law, that topic can be rough as you have history, civil rights, partisanship, etc all rolled up into a topic that seems easy up front.
I'm taking it with my con law professor who I got an A+ in. She's one of the foremost scholar in the subject so it's gonna be a good time

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
My LSAT score was a bit lower than my practice tests. Just make sure you do the more recent practice tests since I believe they switched up the reading comp section awhile back, and there may have been more recent changes that I am not aware of.

Gotcha! I figured it might be a bit lower. I'm using the Khan Academy practice tests and I'm going to get some more a month out from my test.

I'll let you know near the end of the month.... when my LSAT scores are finally available!

Thanks! Haha. I registered for the September LSAT. I'm excited

Dec 11, 2017
QUOTE="Thordinson, post: 23316669, member: 46373"]
Gotcha! I figured it might be a bit lower. I'm using the Khan Academy practice tests and I'm going to get some more a month out from my test.

Thanks! Haha. I registered for the September LSAT. I'm excited
[/QUOTE]
Not familiar with Khan Academy, but make sure you do a few of the official ones as well to make sure you practice with actual past LSATs.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't seem super active but thought I'd mention I'm in university studying a bachelor of Laws in Australia. In addition to my state, I could potentially practice in England on account of my eligibility for an English passport. English mother and all that. Anyways, always up for a chat if anyone's interested.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Time is the hardest part on the LSAT.

If you are a fast reader that's a huge advantage.

I agree! The only problem I have is time. I can read the passages quickly. The only section I ran out of time on is the logic games. I'm getting better though and making progress. Just one more week till I take it.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
For you all, how predictive were your practice tests for LSAT compared to your actual scores? I did a practice test as a diagnostic and I got a 161 while running out of time on the Logic Games part.
My first "timed" test I got a 165 or something similar. I wrote a few tests a week for about three months and my average was around 173, which was close to my actual score.

(As an aside, I had to focus a lot on getting a good LSAT score because my GPA was terrible.)

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
My first "timed" test I got a 165 or something similar. I wrote a few tests a week for about three months and my average was around 173, which was close to my actual score.

(As an aside, I had to focus a lot on getting a good LSAT score because my GPA was terrible.)

That's pretty good then. My average keeps going up as I do more practice tests. I'm gonna do a few more this week then just relax on the Friday before the test.

My cumulative GPA isn't the best either so I need a pretty good LSAT as well.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I am slow starting my application for 2020 Fall. I took the LSAT, I just have to write the personal statement and secure recommendation letters. All of which is easier said than done.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so like 2 months after oci I get a biglaw firm (one of LA/west coasts most prestigious ) hit me up and ask about a screener in one of my top three practice areas, and the one which I have experience from before law school, last week and just got a call back. how do I not fuck this up?

this is pay back my loans in a year money. it's vault 100 $500million + revenue

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
so like 2 months after oci I get a biglaw firm (one of LA/west coasts most prestigious ) hit me up and ask about a screener in one of my top three practice areas, and the one which I have experience from before law school, last week and just got a call back. how do I not fuck this up?

just try to show much of a good fit you are. be their dream candidate.

perfect associate for what they need practice wise

great person -- easy to work long hours with

anyone here work in NYC? moving this saturday to start my postgrad biglaw career. man. trying to keep my mind easy until bar results come out

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

just try to show much of a good fit you are. be their dream candidate.

perfect associate for what they need practice wise

great person -- easy to work long hours with

anyone here work in NYC? moving this saturday to start my postgrad biglaw career. man. trying to keep my mind easy until bar results come out

Congrats to both coast to coast biglaw Era!

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

"I'm here to work and to learn and spend the next 5 years of my life with my head down trying to be the best lawyer I can be." Everything else can be taught.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to both coast to coast biglaw Era!
Don't Jinx it
"I'm here to work and to learn and spend the next 5 years of my life with my head down trying to be the best lawyer I can be." Everything else can be taught.

I'm just still wary about my writing sample and GPA. (also they specifically called me for a specific practice area that I had non legal experience for years before law school) It is a call back from them unsolicited and they know my GPA (it's on my resume) my writing sample is a motion that was very lightly edited during my externship (though filed in county court in a criminal trial) but as i've read it since I've noticed something I'd like to clear up but I don't know the ethics of that because then I can't say this is exactly how it was filed... (it lacks some context from someone who isn't familiar with the case)

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just still wary about my writing sample and GPA. (also they specifically called me for a specific practice area that I had non legal experience for years before law school) It is a call back from them unsolicited and they know my GPA (it's on my resume) my writing sample is a motion that was very lightly edited during my externship (though filed in county court in a criminal trial) but as i've read it since I've noticed something I'd like to clear up but I don't know the ethics of that because then I can't say this is exactly how it was filed... (it lacks some context from someone who isn't familiar with the case)

if they're willing to put partner time (a ton of $$$ per hour) into interviewing you you have a real shot. remember that. otherwise, it would be really silly financially for firms to give you a callback.

don't worry about where you stand relative to the competition. really not important at this point. I wouldn't stress about your writing sample either unless they ask. just try to be the best candidate you can for that specific practice area for a few hours.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interview was yesterday. Was a short call back 50 minutes (I know this is late in the hiring process so I didn't expect it to be the normal lunch/dinner call back)

I think it went well. I clearly have the experience in the field and I think they sense that. I kinda made a bit of an embarrassing answer about one of my past jobs though I don't think it looked bad for me (I had a more left leaning job earlier in my career and said I doubt I'll get many of those clients, and they were like, "try never get one of those" they laughed but I spun it as "at the time they were my clients and I zealously represented their interests and in my other jobs I've represented the opposite and clients come first."

I did spend like 2 hours crafting my thank you email because I was nervous and trying to make it perfect lol