• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1_l.jpg

2_l.jpg

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What this most certainly will entail is that they created a wrapper browser to connect to the servers so you can play the game, similar to the Vita and PS4 releases. Including abhorrent performance.
Not that it matters, this game entails literally nothing, and what it possibly could have entailed has been de-canonised by Kondo.
edit: for those wondering, this game is pure gacha fanservice with a thin story that has an insane powercreep, the only people i know they used to be able to keep up have given up on that because the power creep was getting too big. At least we can dump the script.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch fans: Falcom, we want Trails in the Sky/Cold Steel on the Switch!

Falcom: have a mobile kusoge instead.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So, you have people say this game isn't good, isn't canon ... i can't see what they're expecting this to do on the system? Hard doubt that it will do better than on other platforms.

If i could've one wish granted, it's to experience how some companies do their business planning. ^^

i know this has nothing to do with capcom but i'm inclined to blame capcom.

Are you really sure? See below! j/k ^^

For context, Falcom didn't even develop this game.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, you have people say this game isn't good, isn't canon ... i can't see what they're expecting this to do on the system? Hard doubt that it will do better than on other platforms.

If i could've one wish granted, it's to experience how some companies do their business planning. ^^

Are you really sure? See below! j/k ^^
well it's a low effort game with a low effort port with maximum profit

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Ah yes, its the a handheld can surely only sustain mobile games and gatcha bullshit because traditional games are dead approach. Japan is fucking sleeping on the Switch and Bethesda is Nintendo's main western ambassador studio. This is a weird ass timeline.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through The 3rd right now... I would have loved to see Cold Steel 1, 2, and 3 on Switch.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Holy mother of Kiseki YES !
I don't care if it's only this one. It's the FIRST.

I'd pay anything to replay the 5 first on the Switch (Sora to Ao) and if the Sen couls come at some point too, it'd be icing.

Not getting my expectation up but it's a step, however small it might be.

edit : don't care if bad or anything.
If I have to eat trash from garbage bin to get there, let's go.
Hope some company gets them ported to the Switch at some point.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They are interested in developing for Switch, just don't have the manpower for it.
That's their lipservice but their actions indicate otherwise. Multiplatform development didn't seem to be such an impossibility when it was Vita/PS3 and then Vita/PS4, and they seem to have no issue contracting out their own catalog PS4 ports now, but for whatever reason when it comes to Switch they seem unable to bother at all.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's their lipservice but their actions indicate otherwise. Multiplatform development didn't seem to be such an impossibility when it was Vita/PS3 and then Vita/PS4, and they seem to have no issue contracting out their own catalog PS4 ports now, but for whatever reason when it comes to Switch they seem unable to bother at all.
what you ignore in your shitty equation is that they had been struggling heavily with multiplatform releases already and have been pushing very hard to up their quality in general. This is their tradeoff.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
what you ignore in your shitty equation is that they had been struggling heavily with multiplatform releases already and have been pushing very hard to up their quality in general. This is their tradeoff.
Reality can be shitty, but it's still reality. Feel free to ignore it and take Kondo's excuses at face value.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That doesn't really rebuke the latter point though. Falcom commissioned an outsourced port of Ys: Memories of Celceta which shows they are willing to outsource versions of their games and even when it's an older title that could definitely work on Switch they still decided not to have a Switch SKU.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't really rebuke the latter point though. Falcom commissioned an outsourced port of Ys: Memories of Celceta which shows they are willing to outsource versions of their games and even when it's an older title that could definitely work on Switch they still decided not to have a Switch SKU.
Cold Steel 1-2 PS4 were also farmed out, also skipped Switch.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's really Inert thinking. Kondo is a mega fan of Falcom, it's why he joined the company and so his interests are with the interests of the fanbase, and also among the reasons he was chosen as the CEO. What this creates though, is him catering very closely to the fans of Falcom, which entails making games exclusively for a specific system. You can easily say the fanbase is on one system when you almost never release games on another system. They cater very strongly to their pre-existing fanbase, hardly looking for new ways to reach other audiences and expanding. They also use Sony's middleware PhyreEngine for some of their games, and no, this engine apparently does not support Switch which only makes porting to Switch harder than it should be.

But the realities of today are also different from 2016-2017 where the Vita was doing most of the carrying of sales in Japan. There is no Vita now, there is no handheld in their pipeline, and interests in home consoles like the PS4 are waning in Japan. And they rely on Japan with about 70% of their sales coming from Japan.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reality can be shitty, but it's still reality. Feel free to ignore it and take Kondo's excuses at face value.
the reality is that the one switch game did dogshit for falcom but that's irrelevant to fit your narrative as a console warrior amirite lads
SWIYs VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana6.8179.101Nihon Falcom28/06/2018

truly the future of kiseki, maybe if they want to go the route of our blessed saint NIS

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the reality is that the one switch game did dogshit for falcom but that's irrelevant to fit your narrative as a console warrior amirite lads

truly the future of kiseki, maybe if they want to go the route of our blessed saint NIS
Oh no, it's broken.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

lol. Now look who's peddling shitty equations. ;)

btw, Ys VIII on Switch matched/exceeded PS4+Vita sales overseas. The game wouldn't be Falcom's best selling game ever (over 500k global) without Switch.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ys 8 for Switch also came out in mid-2018. And to be frank, you have to start somewhere in growing an audience. Look at Atelier, a series that used to be exclusively Playstation is now multiplat and the audience is growing on Switch. They set out to grow their audience and it's working.

KlausRealta

Oct 28, 2017

They've said that their fanbase is primarily on Sony home consoles and they're outsourcing ports to a company that's helping them develop games for said home consoles. Instead of getting upset here about how things are, why not go ask a company like DotEmu who's shown willingness to port Falcom's games to something like the Xbox One and has worked on the Switch?

Ys 8 for Switch also came out in mid-2018. And to be frank, you have to start somewhere in growing an audience. Look at Atelier, a series that used to be exclusively Playstation is now multiplat and the audience is growing on Switch. They set out to grow their audience and it's working.

Falcom's not a company to take risks and I don't blame them for not jumping ship when they can only release one game per year.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, it's coming to switch, maybe it'll come out in the US too? That'd be coo.....

*sees it's a non canon gatcha game*

Fuck that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Falcom's not a company to take risks and I don't blame them for not jumping ship when they can only release one game per year.
Again, Ys 8 came out 3 years after the original release. There was no hype or interest for a re-release. And their fanbase is on Sony's system because they only release for Sony's systems period.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They've said that their fanbase is primarily on Sony home consoles and they're outsourcing ports to a company that's helping them develop games for said home consoles. Instead of getting upset here about how things are, why not go ask a company like DotEmu who's shown willingness to port Falcom's games to something like the Xbox One and has worked on the Switch?
After how well Ys VIII did for them I fully expect NISA to push for more Switch ports when they do their future PS4 localizations (CS3/4, Ys XI). Dotemu will probably port Ys Origin too given they've been porting everything else they can to the system. I think the more interesting licensor might be Kadowkawa and Chara-Ani if they decide to port their various Kiseki Evolution games. Those could use PS4 ports too.

The point though was the excuse about manpower preventing Falcom doing Switch ports themselves doesn't really wash when they're contracting Bexide to port games to PS4 (CS1/2, Ys Celceta). There's no real manpower issue, only a willpower one.

The way things are going, the riskier option is probably not pushing ahead with Switch support in Japan.