• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
While Trails of Cold Steel 3 dropped for PlayStation 4 in the west last October, NIS America has revealed to GameSpot that the series will be making its debut on the Nintendo Switch next year.

Coming sometime in Spring 2020, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3 will launch on the Nintendo Switch in the U.S. and Europe ahead of the Japan release--which is something of a first for the franchise.

We recently spent some time with the Switch port and saw how the third game had made the transition to the new platform. In comparison to its PlayStation 4 counterpart; The Switch version runs at a locked 720p resolution and 30 frames-per-second in both docked and undocked modes. Just like the PS4 release, the Switch version of Trails of Cold Steel 3 will also launch with special editions of the game. With the Extracurricular Edition, you'll get the base game, a 20-page art book, and a reversible cover. Whereas with the Thors Academy Edition, it comes with everything in the previous collection, along with a box set including a steelbook, game soundtrack, postcards, and a Mishy plushie. All versions of the game, including the standard release, will also have all Trails of Cold Steel 3 DLC items packed in as well.

Gameplay video of the Switch version

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, i don't think this will do good if Switch players of this game are basically missing 2/3 of the story.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
They should work with Xseed to bring over Cold Steel and Cold Steel II

Very weird starting point for those totally new to the series

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
What a surprise.
Switch port announced just after the PS4 release and coming out just 6 months later or so lol.

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
2/3? More like 7/8 if they don't play on other platforms lol

(or play fan translations for that matter since 2 of the Trails games have never been localized)

Ah yes, i forgot that basically all of those Trails of whatever games have an connected story. Doesn't really help the Switch port at all though. ^^

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Good news, I'm super interested in playing this series. But without the first two, starting on the third part of a series doesn't sit well.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Very nice. Hopefully 1 & 2 come over as well so people can play with some context. This means I'm gonna have to actually start putting in some work on in Trails in the Sky trilogy since I've only played Cold Steel 1 & 2 so far.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be in, vastly prefer this on a handheld to console. Even if it means that I can't transfer my game from Vita to Switch.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Unbelievable. I held on from buying this game because I had a feeling a Switch version was possible. Now please put the first two games on the system.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good news, I'm super interested in playing this series. But without the first two, starting on the third part of a series doesn't sit well.
Honestly even before the first two cold steel games I'd highly, highly recommend playing the sky games first. And then playing the crossbell games before Cold Steel 3 as well. But it's probably not impossible to enjoy the game's story if you're jumping in fresh since it does reference important past events a lot, but you'll definitely miss out on a lot of the impact

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Another big middle finger in the face of everyone who supported the kiseki series on PC so far.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I guess Ys IX on Switch is locked in then too.
But the Trails games really need the prior games.
Ys is much more standalone so this is also kinda weird.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Dayone. And i have already cs3 on my ps4 pro but this change everything. I will be able to play It everywhere and everyday during lunch free time at work.
Now i hope It will find new fans because kiseki deserves more fans.

Also to some posters in this thread i should recall that some switch owners, like me, are portable players and played older titles on psp and vita.

Hopefully this will bring a cs4 dayone ps4/switch release.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
If i can wait and don't play the Chinese version of CS4 till now i can wait for CS4 on switch lol. RPGs are meant to be played on a portable.

My collection of physical trails games are all over the place (in multiple languages too) though hahaha.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably because the publishing deal for all those was with Xseed and not NISA. The fact it's not coming to Japan until later probably means it was them and not Falcom themselves that pushed for this
Does Falcom ever handle the ports to new platforms themselves? I feel like it's always been handled by other companies.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what's the point of this if you're not bringing 1 and 2 beforehand... not sure what NISA are thinking there.
Porting Cold Steel 1 and 2 would be up to XSEED, I assume.

And don't forget people like me who played the first two games on Vita and would prefer to continue the game on a handheld system rather than playing it on PS4. It's one of the reasons I didn't pick up CS3 yet.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
What the.........Falcom has embraced the Switch, the apocalypse is coming now. Please bring the entire Kizeki series to Switch :(. Will double dip from Vita versions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Can you play this one without playing the others?

Whispers of those successfully doing so have been uttered on occasion, but they could be the mere prattle of witless men that have lost all sense of purpose and rationale.

(I have only played a chunk of the first game personally, but according to the OT, its not recommended to play this without 1+2 first)

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Omggggg yesss praise Nisa

Now bring 1&2 over and then we're cookin!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the.........Falcom has embraced the Switch, the apocalypse is coming now. Please bring the entire Kizeki series to Switch :(. Will double dip from Vita versions.
Falcom isn't doing the ports themselves. I mean, I'm sure Falcom wanted it ported and it probably played into why they switched to NISA in the first place, but don't expect Falcom to develop a switch game themselves anytime soon