• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Switch got 3 first before PC although 1 and 2 are not available on Switch but available on PC.

What?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you ever post anything that isn't either concern trolling or blatant console warring in a Nintendo related thread?
I mean I know nothing about the guy you're quoting, but in this case it's actually a pretty reasonable concern given the nature of the Trails/Kiseki series and it's heavy continuity. I don't think it'd be impossible for a newcomer to jump in here and enjoy the game and get a general understanding, but it's absolutely not recommended with this series

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the other two come out on Switch then. Otherwise there wouldn't be a point to play the third game unless you've already played them at the very least.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
releasing this without the context of like, seven other games seems like a pretty terrible move to me
It's not like there's a single platform that got all of the Trails games available on it. This line of argument is always bizarre to me - do you think people only ever buy hardware of a single manufacturer? Especially for games like Trails that are targetting more of a niche crowd I'd assume that ownership of multiple consoles is high.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Can you play this one without playing the others?

I mean you can sort of watch infinity wars and End Game without watching other MCU movies but there won't be a lot of payoff, CS3 and 4 is basically simliar. On the other hand , the west still got screwed without the CrossBell games anyway.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Kind of a shame NISA doesnt have the right to CS1&2, 100% sure those would be on Switch if they had that.

But this indicates that NISA will probably port all their Falcom games to Switch as long as they can.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
To play this on switch or ps? Portability is nice, it's probably why i got so far in 2 and beat 1. Buuut i haven't played many games on the go in a bit.

Also....lmao if c1 and 2 aren't released.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can sort of watch infinity wars and End Game without watching other MCU movies but there won't be a lot of payoff, CS3 and 4 is basically simliar. On the other hand , the west still got screwed without the CrossBell games anyway.
So what all games provide context then?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Porting Cold Steel 1 and 2 would be up to XSEED, I assume.

And don't forget people like me who played the first two games on Vita and would prefer to continue the game on a handheld system rather than playing it on PS4. It's one of the reasons I didn't pick up CS3 yet.

Ah, you got a point, forgot about PSV. Yeah, makes sense of them to go after that audience, especially as a fair amount of PSV fans ended up on Switch.

What the.........Falcom has embraced the Switch, the apocalypse is coming now. Please bring the entire Kizeki series to Switch :(. Will double dip from Vita versions.

NF haven't embraced anything that's not called PlayStation. It's NISA that has embraced Switch.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
There is a summary of the first 2 game included with CS3.

If you've wanted to try this game out and don't have a PS4/want it portable, here's your shot at it. And while it's not ideal, you can start with CS3. (Yes, I'm sure many will disagree with me, but that's my personal stance)

Worry about CS1/2 on Switch, or older Trails games coming to the platform later. Even without the context of the first 2 games in the CS series, or the prior 7 games in the Trails lore, CS3 is still an excellent game worth the entry price.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Clearly supporting this series on the PC is paying off! Can't wait to see how the absolutely tiny battle UI looks like in handheld mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
What?

I mean, it's cool that they're finally bringing the series in some form but it seems rather pointless if they don't port at least the first two games from this saga.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
DW, YOU DON'T NEED TO PLAY 1 OR 2. YOU'RE PERFECTLY FINE AVOIDING THOSE, JUST LIKE AVOIDING THE SKY GAMES, ZERO AND AO. THIS IS THE PERFECT ENTRY POINT TO THE SERIES.

... What a bizarre decision.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yessss. Played CS1 + 2 on vita so happy to get 3 on switch which is really just vita 2.0. Also gives me more time to play my backlog of the other trails games.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly supporting this series on the PC is paying off! Can't wait to see how the absolutely tiny battle UI looks like in handheld mode.

On the bright side, hopefully this means they're outsourcing the PC version. Less of a chance of them doing a repeat of the Ys VIII job this way.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and a bunch of returning characters too. Obviously the cast of the first two cold Steel games is most prominent here compared to the sky and crossbell characters, but even those have a few who play major roles.
I mean is it just the trails in the sky and cold steel games that need to be played?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
So I could play the first two on Vita, and the third on Switch? I've been wondering about playing these games for a while. I bought the first for Vita, but didn't finish it. I should try again.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Can you play this one without playing the others?
I mean yea you can 'play' it but without at least 1and 2 as a base the story is entirely meaningless because it relies extremely heavily on events and character interactions in 1-2.

Hell it helps to have played the other games as well but you can get by with just the cold Steel games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did they do?
I know Falcom always had that issue of "no localization allowed until it's out in Japan" because of spoiler-phobia but how bad have things gotten?
NISA had a sweeter deal (ports to other systems) and XSeed couldn't compete. it's more Falcom chose the publisher that could get their games on more systems. XSeed doesn't have the bandwidth to do Switch ports in addition PC ports

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean is it just the trails in the sky and cold steel games that need to be played?
Ideally you'd want to play the two crossbell games (Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki) as well before III, but you'd need to rely on fantranslations for those. A far better fan translation of Zero should be coming very soon and Ao's current fan translation is decent enough, but no official localization is in sight any time soon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gee thanks NISA. Really cool to support the series on PC for years and instead of getting the newest entry they port it to the platform with no other games in the series so they'll be thrown into the middle of everything and have all the other games spoiled for them.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm going to double-dip but Falcom's release strategy with this franchise is just pants.
I'd almost call it self-sabotage.

That said, I'm all on board with the "if I buy Cold Steel III on Switch maybe they'll port Cold Steel I & II, Trails in the Sky FC/SC/TC and localize the Crossbell games". Because I'm a stupid idiot that thinks my purchasing decisions influence the suspect decision making of game publishers.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gee thanks NISA. Really cool to support the series on PC for years and instead of getting the newest entry they port it to the platform with no other games in the series so they'll be thrown into the middle of everything and have all the other games spoiled for them.
I mean I still expect a PC port to come eventually, but yeah it's weird this was announced first

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
NISA should buy the rights to CS 1 and 2 from Xseed. Wonder if Xseed is willing to sell the publishing rights out west for a reasonable price. Althought Falcom and Xseed seemed to have a big falling out, might make xseed dickish to sell the rights at an outrageous cost. One can hope NISA is willing to bargain with XSEED.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
The first looked great on Vita, so I imagine a Switch port of the third will also look great.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that it's coming, less awesome that unaware consumers will buy in and probably be very lost

Wish XSEED and NISA could come to an agreement or partnership

at the very least, it probably means the next part of the Trails saga which starts fresh(ish) will head to Switch very early on.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Oh shit awesome, gives me hope for a PC port down the line. Guess I don't have to buy a PS4 anymore :)

Pd: as usual with these games, the gatekeeping is real in this thread

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been very interested in the series so this might be the incentive to pick it up. Shame they are starting at 3 though.