• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This is moronic. No one has played 1 & 2 but has held off on 3 waiting for switch. Release 1 & 2 first or don't bother

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
For those who haven't picked up the PS4 version, which would you go for? I'm having trouble deciding personally.

The PS4 version has 1080p resolution and is 60 frames per second.

And while the Switch version is 720p resolution and 30 frames per second, it has all the DLC for free which if you wanted it on PS4 would be about $45 altogether on PS4, and the portability would be nice for those segments where it's just dialogue, and nothing but.

Would love to hear y'all's opinions.
The DLC is all just cosmetic stuff which I personally never used. Unless you plan to play it in handheld mode mostly I'd get it on PS4.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Not the best gameplay segment to show off, Gamespot. The environment was really drab. The rest of the game isn't like that, right?

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
If there are no performance issues, I'd rather get it on the Switch. Portability for these kind of games are a godsend for me.

Game has performance issues (albeit infrequent but more prevalent towards the latter parts) on PS4 Pro. It's gonna have issues on Switch, but similar to Ys VIII it'll basically be how much are you able to tolerate. For Ys VIII it's more egregious since it's an action game, but I'm sure that tiny UI at the very least is gonna absolutely bother some people, considering it's even worse than like 3H.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
For those who haven't picked up the PS4 version, which would you go for? I'm having trouble deciding personally.

The PS4 version has 1080p resolution and is 60 frames per second.

And while the Switch version is 720p resolution and 30 frames per second, it has all the DLC for free which if you wanted it on PS4 would be about $45 altogether on PS4, and the portability would be nice for those segments where it's just dialogue, and nothing but.

Would love to hear y'all's opinions.

Game felt/looked great to play on my PS4 Pro. Would go that route if you don't care about portability that much as the DLC is mostly cosmetic stuff and consumables. There are some slowdowns in one of the later chapters of the game that might make the Switch crawl a bit.

Also if you are in the US, Amazon has the launch edition of the game on sale for $40 right now if you wanted a deal.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
This is moronic. No one has played 1 & 2 but has held off on 3 waiting for switch. Release 1 & 2 first or don't bother

Raises hand.

I knew this thread would've been filled with replies like this. I don't know why people think the gaming landscape is one ecosystem or nothing. It's not 1996 anymore!

I played the first two on Vita and would love playing this on Switch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Other than Trails in the Sky the 3rd and Cold Steel 3, all of the official English releases are playable on the Vita. The Vita is dead and I daresay most of the Vita fans have migrated to the Switch. Releasing Cold Steel 3 on the Switch makes a ton of sense. Stop acting like this is a nuts announcement.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I did. Played 1/2 on Vita and then bailed on the series. I only really use portables due to a long commute/young family.
Raises hand.

I knew this thread would've been filled with replies like this. I don't know why people think the gaming landscape is one ecosystem or nothing. It's not 1996 anymore!

I played the first two on Vita and would love playing this on Switch.

tbh I forgot the vita existed

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
This is good for the future of trails, but bad for it on pc imo...

I bet NISA will prioritize switch over pc if this sells well in comparison to their past pc launches

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Trails in the Sky the 3rd and Cold Steel 3, all of the official English releases are playable on the Vita. The Vita is dead and I daresay most of the Vita fans have migrated to the Switch. Releasing Cold Steel 3 on the Switch makes a ton of sense. Stop acting like this is a nuts announcement.

Let's be fair, "People who played games XYZ on Vita and now went with Switch" is a *very* specific target audience and even in the niche where the Trails games roam in rather ... niche. ^^

Falcom/NISA/XSEED should get their heads out of their arses and find a way to ultimately release both, the first two Cold Steel games on Switch and the third one on PC. That would be the best case scenario.

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017

I'm not going to claim that it's a large amount of people, but it's certainly not no one. I played 1&2 on Vita and was deeply disappointed by the lack of a portable version of 3 and have held of buying the game as a result of that (I also haven't bought Trails in the Sky the 3rd for the same reason). I'm very happy about this announcement, although you're certainly not wrong in that it would be wiser to have 1&2 available as well - though, considering Xseed handled the PS4 release of those games, they would likely have to handle a Switch release, not NISA.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom/NISA/XSEED should get their heads out of their arses and find a way to ultimately release both, the first two Cold Steel games on Switch and the third one on PC. That would be the best case scenario.

XSEED has no reason to do the work to port the other games to any platform. If they do work with Falcom again, I'd sooner expect an announcement for Celceta on PS4 since like CS1/2, that version already exists in JP on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be fair, "People who played games XYZ on Vita and now went with Switch" is a *very* specific target audience and even in the niche where the Trails games roam in rather ... niche. ^^

if Xseed has full publishing rights for anything on the previous games, expect to not see them anywhere again. The sales on a re-release would be far too low to justify helping a competitor with future releases

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
As far as the first two games go, Falcom owns the translations so XSEED likely wouldn't need to be involved in a hypothetical Switch port. Ys Origin was localized by XSEED on PC but they had nothing to do with the console ports, DotEmu used their translatiosn when they ported the game.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
XSEED has no reason to do the work to port the other games to any platform. If they do work with Falcom again, I'd sooner expect an announcement for Celceta on PS4 since like CS1/2, that version already exists in JP on PS4.
if Xseed has full publishing rights for anything on the previous games, expect to not see them anywhere again. The sales on a re-release would be far too low to justify helping a competitor with future releases

Yeah, that's why i said "find a way". I know that XSEED doesn't burn money, but there has to be a way that this best case scenario works out with every party involved being okay with.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
releasing this without the context of like, seven other games seems like a pretty terrible move to me
If that's the bar you're putting up, the series will die. Expecting that every previous title be available on a console before a new one is released there is just not a reasonable request, putting aside that Zero and Azure have never got official English releases anyway. (TRANSLATE THEM FOR ME NISA!)

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

I will say the marketing of CS3 blows what Xseed does out of the water and probably help sells a number of copies of CS 1 and 2 Kai on PS4. With Switch being this popular with RPG fans, i thinks its a missed opportunity not to explore that option.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll be the first to admit I shouldn't be the audience dictating where RPGs should and shouldn't be released :D

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

4 of the 5 older games are available portably. It's not crazy to think that a good chunk of the Trails fanbase like playing the games on portable systems and if that's the case, they almost definitely own a Switch or plan to buy one.

And yes, it would be best if every game was available everywhere. PC is the biggest omission since every other game is available there.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
The gatekeeping in this thread kii

I played the games on PC. Now I get to play 3 on a console I own. Bye. It's as simple as that. It's on XSEED to port the other games now.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's why i said "find a way". I know that XSEED doesn't burn money, but there has to be a way that this best case scenario works out with every party involved being okay with.
I don't think there is any scenario that could possibly make it a good thing for xseed. Falcom would have to pay an exorbitant amount ti buy the publishing rights back and then also invest in the porting costs. I can't imagine xseed wanting anything more than a ridiculous amount either based on both the circumstances, and just helping a competitor in general.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Ter Stegen would be proud of this thread.
Without the first two I don't have much interest.

I never undestand this.
Lack of ressources and time to optimize for both setups....seems pretty straightforward.

Niche games targeting niche audience - shocking.
Past portable players owing a Switch in 2020 isn't as big of a reach as you think it is.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Quite certain I remember being mocked for saying Trails on Switch would happen before mainline Persona ever would, but it may have been on the old place instead of here. Not so crazy anymore, huh? Happening because of NISA's history of insisting on creating Switch ports of things rather than Falcom doing anything, but still happening all the same.
What did they do?
I know Falcom always had that issue of "no localization allowed until it's out in Japan" because of spoiler-phobia but how bad have things gotten?
That's less due to spoilers as opposed to the fact that they have a habit of making last-minute changes during development, be they related to gameplay or writing.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to claim that it's a large amount of people, but it's certainly not no one. I played 1&2 on Vita and was deeply disappointed by the lack of a portable version of 3 and have held of buying the game as a result of that (I also haven't bought Trails in the Sky the 3rd for the same reason). I'm very happy about this announcement, although you're certainly not wrong in that it would be wiser to have 1&2 available as well - though, considering Xseed handled the PS4 release of those games, they would likely have to handle a Switch release, not NISA.

That's a point, they probably own those localisations. I doubt they're thrilled about nisa taking over all the falcom work too.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I will say the marketing of CS3 blows what Xseed does out of the water and probably help sells a number of copies of CS 1 and 2 Kai on PS4. With Switch being this popular with RPG fans, i thinks its a missed opportunity not to explore that option.

The difference here being that CS1 and 2 Kai were already ports done by Falcom, so it was just XSEED basically dropping their localization into an already complete port. This would have to be XSEED actually doing the port work themselves, which is considerably more expensive and requires more manpower and might not be worth it for a niche RPG, and it's not like Kondo himself has done many favors to keep that bridge running with XSEED anyway.

As far as the first two games go, Falcom owns the translations so XSEED likely wouldn't need to be involved in a hypothetical Switch port. Ys Origin was localized by XSEED on PC but they had nothing to do with the console ports, DotEmu used their translatiosn when they ported the game.

Key thing here is the voices. If XSEED owns the rights to those, then suddenly it gets more messy, but someone might have more info than me on that.

Oct 27, 2017
If I could get some confirmation High Speed Mode will be in the Switch version, I think I would be fine with the lower FPS and resolution.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
A TLoH game on a Nintendo platform? What timeline is this?

This also increased the chances of Ys IX appearing on Switch. Definitely getting both, I'm glad I skipped ToCS3 on PS4.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand not playing Sky/Crossbell games before CS3 but not bringing Cold 1/2 is just moronic.

Most of the pay offs and twists in CS3 work because of investment in the CS 1/2, especially near the end.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
If NISA was bringing I and II to the Switch, they'd have announced it by now. It's most likely restricted to the games NISA is publishing.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's up there with the French localisation as the latest in the frankly baffling decisions NISA has made regarding this game.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'll actually be able to finish the Cold Steel series, I thought that wouldn't happen after they making Vita versions.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I wonder if NIS misunderstood the product they licensed from Falcom. CS3 on its own is completely useless. It's not like the Ys series where every entry is independent.