• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been admiring these from afar but I'm not going to play them on a Playstation nor will I start with 3.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic news. I was just about to buy this over the weekend but now I will wait.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been less 2 months since the game launched. Relax.

And more than 1 year since the western release ewas announced. There's no exclusivity deal impending the PC port to be announced, so either is not happening or we will have to wait 1 year or more which is pretty fucking bad anyway.

I'd say is not happening.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so much dialogue that literally make no sense without knowledge of prior games.

Everyone is just gonna be hint hint nudge nudging at "they" "him" "her" the whole game. Heck, even knowing the games sometimes I have no idea who or what they are talking about.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Trails fans continue to be toxic and the NISA hate boner is strong.

Listen, guys. Falcom released 3 on ps4 before porting the other 2. This isn't as dumb as many of you are making it out to be.

Especially considering the Switch is picking up the vita fanbase.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I was really pleased when I heard about this... and then I double checked : no annoucement for the rest of the series ? Well, no thanks :'(

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
And more than 1 year since the western release ewas announced. There's no exclusivity deal impending the PC port to be announced, so either is not happening or we will have to wait 1 year or more which is pretty fucking bad anyway.

I'd say is not happening.
I mean, XSEED didn't announce the PC ports until much later too. I also think they don't want another Ys VIII situation with CSIII.

Draconas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great news!
I have been keeping an eye on this but not bought it due to backlog. Definetely buying this for Switch instead of PS4.

I have played 1 & 2 on Vita so no problem here.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It is shocking no PC version has been announced yet. I hope it's because they're working extra hard on it instead of it not actually existing. With how well Durnate did the ports of 1 & 2, it will not look good if the third port is on par with the pc version of Ys VIII.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, XSEED didn't announce the PC ports until much later too. I also think they don't want another Ys VIII situation with CSIII.
And even if this is true that's still no reason to withhold a pc announcement. Nisa could just simply say "Hey, we are also working on PC version of Cold Steel III but we currently have no release date to share since we focus on a quality port this time".

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for a CS3 announcement for PC, but if NISA starts talking about a CS4 localization without a pc port announced, I'll play it on PS4.

Awsome news for Switch owners though. But definitely not a jumping in point for the series.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
It is shocking no PC version has been announced yet. I hope it's because they're working extra hard on it instead of it not actually existing. With how well Durnate did the ports of 1 & 2, it will not look good if the third port is on par with the pc version of Ys VIII.

Actually the opposite, hopefully this means that NISA themselves isn't working on it and it's being outsourced, and like you said, it's Durante doing the work.

No one wants NISA touchin those Trails ports after how bad Ys VIII on PC went.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Yeees, although hopefully we get the other games in the series.

I just need to beat Cold Steel II and I'll be caught up for now. I managed to make my PC run Cold Steel I but it lacks the specs for II.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
That's really cool. Because of the positive things I was hearing about Cold Steel 3 I bought the first one on Steam. Probably will play 1 and 2 on PC and 3 on Switch

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And even if this is true that's still no reason to withhold a pc announcement. Nisa could just simply say "Hey, we are also working on PC version of Cold Steel III but we currently have no release date to share since we focus on a quality port this time".

If they said this the goalposts would just move. Instead of complaining about no PC announcement you guys would still be in this thread complaining about no release date or "is it canceled??," etc.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sorry what !?

Day one when it releases in Japan.
I can finally continue the series.

Now release every other episodes please. I'll buy them all on Switch.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
This is like when KH3 when announced for Xbox one...it's nice to have but it wont grow the fanbase other than Those who already played the previous entries on other consoles/PC

CS3 is a terrible jumping point for potential new customers which is a shame as the LoH series deserves to be the next JRPG to breakout and the Switch seems like a perfect device for that to happen.

Last edited:

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably double-dip on this (just picked up CS III two weeks ago when I saw it for $40). Good that the game is coming to more platforms and, hopefully, the other entries eventually come to Switch, even if it seems unlikely. Plus III coming to PC for those on PC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually the opposite, hopefully this means that NISA themselves isn't working on it and it's being outsourced, and like you said, it's Durante doing the work.

No one wants NISA touchin those Trails ports after how bad Ys VIII on PC went.
NISA didn't do the switch port at least. it's probably NIS doing it. the PC version might be based on that this time

EDIT: well, that got answered already

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is like when KH3 when announced for Xbox one...it's nice to have but it wont grow the demands other than Those who already played the previous entries on other consoles/PC

CS3 is a terrible jumping point for potential new customers which is a shame as the LoH series deserves to be the next JRPG to breakout and the Switch seems like a perfect device for that to happen.

I agree but I get why they'd want to get their foot in the door now. They could just wait until the next arc starts before bringing it to Switch but the benefit of now is they're getting the series on the market. Same with Kingdom Hearts III. Terrible place to place start but doable and gets the series in the minds of Xbox users and creates demand for the rest.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But PC was getting trails 3rd chapter when CS1 was released on PS3/Vita. There was a clear commitment from XSEED with the PC platform, and for CS2 the confirmation came way sooner.

The easiest way to assure people we aren't getting another Ys VIII situation is not exactly keeping us in the dark and avoiding mentioning anything about a possible PC version.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
This is like when KH3 when announced for Xbox one...it's nice to have but it wont grow the fanbase other than Those who already played the previous entries on other consoles/PC

It doesn't really have much of a chance of breaking out much beyond the current fans until they start a new series. A Calvard arc or remakes of the Crossbell arc or a standalone game. It needs to have modern graphics and a story you can just jump into. Even rereleasing them all on Switchs starting from CS1 wouldn't give them that.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ugh I didn't want to double dip if I knew this I wouldn't have started the PS4 version or bought it.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Not by NIS internally is interesting.
Seems a lot of ports of Japanese games to the Switch are intended for the western market mainly. Which is surprising considering Japan's love for portables.
By the time this come in Japan falcom will easily release the next one on ps4 lol
Falcom loves its fans but forgets the vita fans like Sony lol

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I don't think the issue for not porting CS1 and CS2 first is the fact that they need XSeed. (they don't) Ys Origin was ported to XBox without XSeed input. It's more likely that they skipped straight to CS3 because they already owned that license while CS1 + CS2 was a separate license meaning they'd have to buy the rights for those games separately from Falcom. CS3 Switch was relatively easy money, CS1 and CS2 Switch were not, hence the move.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

The chance of the LoH series having its breakout moment 4 years into a sub-series run is highly unlikely, even if they did port the entire series to the Switch. Better wait for the game after they're done with Cold Steel.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The chance of the LoH series having its breakout moment 4 years into a sub-series run is highly unlikely, even if they did port the entire series to the Switch. Better wait for the game after they're done with Cold Steel.

Exactly. Trails deliberate pacing and commitment to world building is always going to make it a niche series. I love it but not everyone is going to be into such a long slow building RPG series.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, we were just talking about this yesterday. Falcom making out like bandits and getting goodwill off the back of NIS' hard work.

I wonder if they can get it running better than it did on PS4. Those chapter 4 framerate drops....yikes. Gonna double dip anyway because I want to support the series as much as I can.

Engine did Caligula Effect which wasn't great... Playable, but not great.

They also did NNK so maybe I have to cut Bamco some slack for once. It seems doing 720p both docked and portable is a pattern for them.