• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Sean on Discord confirmed Engine Software are porting it to the Switch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_Software#Nintendo_Switch

Excellent. Despite early reports, I think Ni No Kuni was actually later said to turn out really well on Switch. Caligula Effect Overdose was more so-so, but better I think(?) than Ys 8 in performance? But it did have some ugly downgrades. Either way, the proof is in the pudding and the footage all looks very smooth and clean.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'm really interested in the steel series. However how important is it you play the the 3 trails in the sky games first?

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in the steel series. However how important is it you play the the 3 trails games first?

From what I've heard you need to play Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure before playing Cold Steel III (to have a good understanding of the story that is).

Not sure about the Sky trilogy..

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Despite early reports, I think Ni No Kuni was actually later said to turn out really well on Switch. Caligula Effect Overdose was more so-so, but better I think(?) than Ys 8 in performance? But it did have some ugly downgrades. Either way, the proof is in the pudding and the footage all looks very smooth and clean.
Yeah, this looks way better than YSVIII. I was one of those who couldn't play it on Switch because of the performance and the weird shimmer on grass. Full screen on my 65 inch TV the trailer looks great. Devs are getting better at porting.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in the steel series. However how important is it you play the the 3 trails games first?

Quite important but not fundamental. Parts of Trails 3rd is basically a prologue of Cold Steel.

I mean, a lot of references and the overaching storyline will be lost, but I guess is not 100% necessary
(and the old trilogy is much better)

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I know nothing of this series, have been curious because seem to have an almost cult following status here, but I dont feel like jumping in at game 3.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Quite important but not fundamental. Parts of Trails 3rd is basically a prologue of Cold Steel.

I mean, a lot of references and the overaching storyline will be lost, but I guess is not 100% necessary
(and the old trilogy is much better)

Well I'm near the academy on trails FC so half way through the game? The story just hasn't grabbed me yet and the battle system isn't exactly amazing. Cold steel games just look more modern to play.

Also isn't the 3rd chapter just a boring dungeon crawler? Can it be skipped

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this looks way better than YSVIII. I was one of those who couldn't play it on Switch because of the performance and the weird shimmer on grass. Full screen on my 65 inch TV the trailer looks great. Devs are getting better at porting.

Ys 8 was ported by what appeared to be the Disgaea team internally at NIS. Fair to say they're not the most experienced with 3D games. I reviewed it on Switch and watched comparison vids and saw that shadows took a big hit, and the framerate and dynamic res was spotty to say the least.

Engine have had loads of experience with Switch (and prior Nintendo systems) ports both big and small. On their site you can see they did Little Nightmares on Switch, Into the Breach, RIVE, and Blossom Tales among others on Switch indie-wise as well.

It's a shame Caligula was a bit rough but that might've been due to factors including timing to get all versions out in the west at the same time, or maybe because they did the PC port at the same time as well (one of the few not done by NIS's Entertainment Support studio). Maybe FuRyu/Historia's code was just a mess despite it being in UE4, who the fuck knows.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm near the academy on trails FC so half way through the game? The story just hasn't grabbed me yet and the battle system isn't exactly amazing. Cold steel games just look more modern to play.

FC is definitely slow and takes it's time to build it's momentum, but the same happens in CS1. But the last half of FC and almost the entirity of the second game is excellent.

The third one is not exactly a dungeon crawler, but it's story bits and characterization is up there in the best of the series.

Also the lack of it's world map and running back and forth, helps the pacing a lot. For a considerable amount of fans is the best in the series.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This is like Kingdom Hearts 3 appearing on Xbox One without any of the others available, except pretend that every game after 2 never left Japan.

Falcom with the 200 IQ release calendar, right here.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a couple of reviews from people that played CS3 without playing any other of the previous games, and they were thrilled about it.

It's not ideal, but CS3 is a great rpg regardless if you are new to the story.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
This a move that can only be described as nintendoesque.
And its not even nintendo's fault for a change.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly knew they'd port this to the Switch before PC. It's a very NISA thing.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
By the time this come in Japan falcom will easily release the next one on ps4 lol
Falcom loves its fans but forgets the vita fans like Sony lol
I'll wait : D.

...I'm one of those 3 Vita fans lol.

It takes A LONG time in FC.
Take it slow, it's bigger than it looks, that's why it looks slow.
You are missing so many details happening by not knowing what happens next.

Then... you'll realize " hoow so this is... this moment... that's why...".

Erpy

May 31, 2018

You're close to the point where the game tends to "click" for a lot of first-time players.

Also, 3rd is many people's favorite Kiseki game. Yes, it's a dungeon crawler, but it between the sections of dungeoneering it's also truckloaded with lore-bombs and foreshadowing to other games. Most people who played the game are LOLNO on the skipping part.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017

FC can be quite boring at times, it really gets going only closer to the end. BUT, SC is now one of my fav rpgs of all time, and playing SC made it worth struggling through FC. so just keep going

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Again, surprised no one calls me out to answer questions around here, *huff*.

We're really excited to be working with Engine again. They are doing a terrific job on this version.

Whoever said that Switch is basically where the Vita fanbase went (and then some), cookies for you.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We're really excited to be working with Engine again. They are doing a terrific job on this version.

Whoever said that Switch is basically where the Vita fanbase went (and then some), cookies for you.

I wonder where the PC fanbase will go.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where the PC fanbase will go.

dead2.gif

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
From NISA's perspective I can see why this makes sense. It's sad not to have the previous games but this is the best they can do.

That said Trails in the Sky 1 really need to get ported to Switch some way, some how. It's the best starting point and I feel like when people play Trails in the Sky 1, they'll be hooked into playing the rest of the series.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Alright, pc when ?

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to hold on to my PS4 copy because:
  1. Don't think we'll get a full assessment for the Switch version until release, and got my PS4 version for $40, so might as well hold on to it just in case because that's probably the cheapest a new copy for this game will ever be.
  2. If the Switch version does end up being good, I'll keep my PS4 copy sealed and sort of as a collector's item given that the print run for this game wasn't that large.
Man, I really miss when print runs for niche stuff such as this were much larger.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Happy for Switch fans but there are gonna be a lot of people who play this and miss out of so much due to not playing the other games first

Hopefully they drop all the other games on all platforms (Give me the Trails in the Sky trilogy and Crossbell games on PS4/Switch please)

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good move, for the next saga they should continue with ps4/switch/pc. trails isnt a series that needs top graphics.
btw is there news of the next game? it will be calvard finally?

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Thats on Xseed. Nisa is doing this.

Not necessarily. XSeed was just the localizer. Ys Origin (which XSeed localized and published on PC) was already ported to XBox without XSeed's involvement. Falcom can offer the CS1 and CS2 license for a Switch port to whatever party's interested, including NIS. If NIS wanted to port CS1 and CS2 to Switch they probably wouldn't need XSeed's go-ahead for it, just Falcom's. But since they only own the CS3 license right now and not CS1's and CS2's, that WOULD cost extra money on top of the porting costs.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
good move, for the next saga they should continue with ps4/switch/pc. trails isnt a series that needs top graphics.
btw is there news of the next game? it will be calvard finally?
Not Calvard according to their 15th anniversary stream this year. My money is on a bridge game like Sky 3rd. We'll know for sure when they announce it at their shareholders' meeting this month.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. XSeed was just the localizer. Ys Origin (which XSeed localized and published on PC) was already ported to XBox without XSeed's involvement. Falcom can offer the CS1 and CS2 license for a Switch port to whatever party's interested, including NIS. If NIS wanted to port CS1 and CS2 to Switch they probably wouldn't need XSeed's go-ahead for it, just Falcom's. But since they only own the CS3 license right now and not CS1's and CS2's, that WOULD cost extra money on top of the porting costs.

Probably you are right, Falcom can offer CS1 and CS2 publishing/licensing rights to other people, the issue is that XSeed owns the english translations of these games, so it would need to be retranslated which is probably not worth the effort.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I am very happy you guys managed to bring the game to Switch. Gaming takes quite a bit of time, and my time is currently in low supply, so the Switch is the only platform that allows me to play long games like these within any reasonable amount of time, and as a result it allows me to continue to play them. Thank you for bringing these games to Switch!

You guys definitely are on a roll with Falcom games what with YS VIII last year (which I enjoyed a ton on Switch) and now TOCS3 for 2020. Hope you are able to bring YS IX to Switch as well in the future!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Happy for Switch fans but there are gonna be a lot of people who play this and miss out of so much due to not playing the other games first

Hopefully they drop all the other games on all platforms (Give me the Trails in the Sky trilogy and Crossbell games on PS4/Switch please)
No ? You think the audience this speaks to buys a game called CS 3 on a system like Switch without doing some research what the game is about ? This isnt Fifa or CoD. The target audience is invested in the series and/or JRPGs and knows their stuff.

Every second post in CS3 related threads is about the importance of the first two games to get the full picture of the Story. There seems to be a deep misunderstanding what audience games like these cater to - no Grandmom is buying the game at 60 bucks for their grandchildren only to be surprised that the Story of previous games is an important factor.

Keep up the good work !!
Portable versions are always appreciated.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does CS3 have the Turbo Mode that the PC Trails games have? Because I can't imagine playing one without it.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
No ? You think the audience this speaks to buys a game called CS 3 on a system like Switch without doing some research what the game is about ? This isnt Fifa or CoD. The target audience is invested in the series and/or JRPGs and knows their stuff.

Every second post in CS3 related threads is about the importance of the first two games to get the full picture of the Story. There seems to be a deep misunderstanding what audience games like these cater to - no Grandmom is buying the game at 60 bucks for their grandchildren only to be surprised that the Story of previous games is an important factor.

You are really overestimating people; even on the PS4 I saw a lot of people wondering if they can jump in at 3.