• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No ? You think the audience this speaks to buys a game called CS 3 on a system like Switch without doing some research what the game is about ? This isnt Fifa or CoD. The target audience is invested in the series and/or JRPGs and knows their stuff.

Every second post in CS3 related threads is about the importance of the first two games to get the full picture of the Story. There seems to be a deep misunderstanding what audience games like these cater to - no Grandmom is buying the game at 60 bucks for their grandchildren only to be surprised that the Story of previous games is an important factor.

You could say the same about playing III before the still unlocalized Crossbell games

I'm guessing the percentage of people playing CSIII who haven't played the Crossbell games in the west is 90% plus

There won't be millions, but there will 100% be people who start with III if it's the only game they can play on Switch and they don't have a PS3/4/Vita

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Probably you are right, Falcom can offer CS1 and CS2 publishing/licensing rights to other people, the issue is that XSeed owns the english translations of these games, so it would need to be retranslated which is probably not worth the effort.

Again, another party ported Ys Origin some time ago, which used XSeed's translation, without them being involved. I believe Falcom's the party that owns the scripts. So no retranslation would probably be needed. It's just that that party would need to buy the publishing rights to CS1 and CS2 from Falcom. Which doesn't come cheap and leaving the porting costs aside the financial viability of a Switch port of two games that have been out for quite some time and are already available on 4 other systems might be limited, especially if it's true that a large part of the Switch crowd owned a Vita before and might have played it. That only leaves the Nintendo-only crowd in the cold.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You could say the same about playing III before the still unlocalized Crossbell games

I'm guessing the percentage of people playing CSIII who haven't played the Crossbell games in the west is 90% plus

There won't be millions, but there will 100% be people who start with III if it's the only game they can play on Switch and they don't have a PS3/4/Vita
If they know the facts and still decide to go through with the purchase and starting with CS3 on Switch because they are happy with the small recap the game provide - its on them. But nobody is spending 60 bucks on a niche JRPG blind...without looking up reviews or any kind of information online.

I think you are really overestimating the number of people that are buying a full price console JRPG blind in 2020.
You are really overestimating people; even on the PS4 I saw a lot of people wondering if they can jump in at 3.
Wondering and asking about it is different than going ahead and spending 60 bucks on it.
The audience games like these caters to wont buy a 60 bucks JRPG blind.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
If I play 1 and 2 on the PC, will I be able to transfer my character data over to the Switch? Was that possible on PS4 version?

I played the whole Trails in the Sky series on PC and it was awesome transferring my stats over.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If they know the facts and still decide to go through with the purchase and starting with CS3 on Switch because they are happy with the samll recap the game provide - its on them. But nobody is spending 60 bucks on a niche JRPG blind...without looking up reviews or any kind of information online.

I didn't say they would buy it blind, you have just said that now

I said people will play III first if it's the only game they have access to on Switch, and doing that with even the best of intentions and research into plot still won't compare to playing at least CS1 and 2 first

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I play 1 and 2 on the PC, will I be able to transfer my character data over to the Switch? Was that possible on PS4 version?

I played the whole Trails in the Sky series on PC and it was awesome transferring my stats over.
There is no data transfer whatsoever between CS2 and CS3, even if you're playing on the same platform.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, another party ported Ys Origin some time ago, which used XSeed's translation, without them being involved. I believe Falcom's the party that owns the scripts. So no retranslation would probably be needed. It's just that that party would need to buy the publishing rights to CS1 and CS2 from Falcom. Which doesn't come cheap and leaving the porting costs aside the financial viability of a Switch port of two games that have been out for quite some time and are already available on 4 other systems might be limited, especially if it's true that a large part of the Switch crowd owned a Vita before and might have played it. That only leaves the Nintendo-only crowd in the cold.

The deal might have been different from Ys Origin, a game which much, MUCH less text, than CS1 and CS2, that involved way more work and money from XSeed.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say they would buy it blind, you have just said that now

I said people will play III first if it's the only game they have access to on Switch, and doing that with even the best of intentions and research into plot still won't compare to playing at least CS1 and 2 first
Fair point - if your friend wanna join your Endgame watching group without having seen prior MCU movies before....there isnt much you can do.

The prior games are out there and available to play on other system for people that really care about the prior arcs.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fair point - if your friend wanna join your Endgame watching group without having seen prior MCU movies before....there isnt much you can do.

The prior games are out there and available to play on other system for people that really care about the prior arcs.

Yeah I agree, but on every console there are some players who only have one system or only like playing on one system or one ecosystem, so naturally releasing III first will cause more Nintendo-centric players to go into the series in a less than optimal order than if at least CS1 and 2 were on the system

It's great III is coming out at all, and hopefully 1 and 2 make it there as well at some point, but it's a shame Nintendo fans won't get at least the Cold Steel arc in the right order

Hopefully it gets the series more fans overall though, and it's great for players who played CS1 and 2 on PS3 (like I did) or Vita/PC and want this on Switch

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree, but on every console there are some players who only have one system or only like playing on one system or one ecosystem, so naturally releasing III first will cause more Nintendo-centric players to go into the series in a less than optimal order than if at least CS1 and 2 were on the system

It's great III is coming out at all, and hopefully 1 and 2 make it there as well at some point, but it's a shame Nintendo fans won't get at least the Cold Steel arc in the right order

Hopefully it gets the series more fans overall though, and it's great for players who played CS1 and 2 on PS3 (like I did) or Vita/PC and want this on Switch
Yeah you are right about that - in a perfect world 1+2 would launch first to get, even complete new Nintendo players accustomes to the series....starting with 3 is probably gonna limit the potential a bit since it will mostly attract people that are already familiar with the series and played past games on Vita, PC etc.

NIS America is doing what they can....the other players would have to step up to make 1+2 Switch happen.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah you are right about that - in a perfect world 1+2 would launch first to get, even complete new Nintendo players accustomes to the series....starting with 3 is probably gonna limit the potential a bit since it will mostly attract people that are already familiar with the series and played past games on Vita, PC etc.

NIS America is doing what they can....the other players would have to step up to make 1+2 Switch happen.

Yeah NIS America are doing God's work, I'm still just thrilled to be getting these games at all (I'm 40 hours in CSIII on PS4 right now)

I think Falcom have said they want to bring the other games to PS4, so hopefully that ends up being PS4 and Switch

The Trails in the Sky games are already on PC, just put them on current systems in a collection and I'd buy them at a high price

Hopefully they do that late 2020 to give CSIII time to sell, then put the Crossbell games out as a collection in 2021 (That's my dream scenario anyway)

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I kind of really want to buy this, even without having played the other 2. Based off what people in this thread are saying that might not be a good idea. Why do I feel so stubborn?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I am interested in the series but i am not starting halfway into it lol this is literally the most ? decision i have seen

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I kind of really want to buy this, even without having played the other 2. Based off what people in this thread are saying that might not be a good idea. Why do I feel so stubborn?

Depends on what you play JRPG's for. Some people just like playing through an RPG for the gameplay. Others care more about the plot and getting maximum emotional impact out of story scenes. Certain scenes will have a lot more impact on the player if they spent 80+ hours around certain characters versus 2 hours. (and the games kind of assume that kind of attachment on behalf of the player) But that kind of impact is not important for everyone.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That interview with falcom saying their fanbase is leaning more to switch makes sense now

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a story reason?

Either way, that makes me feel better about playing the first two on PC and then going to Switch.

I'm pretty sure the only reason there's no transfer is because CS1/2 and CS3 were on different platforms in Japan, so it wasn't worth the effort finding a way to pair your saves. The original two only got PS4 ports thanks to Xseed later down the line I believe

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Since I stopped paying attention after this was PS4 only, and haven't been able to watch the trailer with sound, do the returning characters retain their English VA?

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh yesss.

I'm working through CS2 right now. But can I even wait til next year for this?? Was planning to plow through the series but maybe I'll wait. Maybe. Either way great news.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Sean on Discord confirmed Engine Software are porting it to the Switch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_Software#Nintendo_Switch
Following Ni No Kuni, another port that is 720p for both docked and undocked and they just call it a day. Granted I'm not involved in the process, but as a consumer I can't help but see this as disappointing and a subpar effort.

Which unfortunately is not new with NISA and Falcom on the platform, given the particular arrangement between the two parties (or rather the necessity of NISA). I would love to purchase Ys VIII for the Switch but I've been unable to pull the trigger because of the hatchet work of a port by NIS.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since I stopped paying attention after this was PS4 only, and haven't been able to watch the trailer with sound, do the returning characters retain their English VA?

For Class VII, everybody but Millium's VA returns. Most of the less important characters have the same VA as well.

I have played Xenoblade and Dragon Quest, can someone tell me how this series compare to those games

It's super anime like Xenoblade 2. It's very much not open world or anything approaching that though. Battle system is turn based. There's a very strong emphasis on characters and world building that imo is better than either of those series

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
It's super anime like Xenoblade 2. It's very much not open world or anything approaching that though. Battle system is turn based. There's a very strong emphasis on characters and world building that imo is better than either of those series
[/QUOTE]

The cutscenes aren't as long as Final Fantasy are they

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

You can always just watch the cutscenes on YouTube or read a summary, I suppose. You really shouldn't go into this without being familiar with at least the previous two games though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, surprised no one calls me out to answer questions around here, *huff*.

We're really excited to be working with Engine again. They are doing a terrific job on this version.

Whoever said that Switch is basically where the Vita fanbase went (and then some), cookies for you.
any technical reason why this is 720p?

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I have played Xenoblade and Dragon Quest, can someone tell me how this series compare to those games

Games are incredibly story-heavy and have tons of world-building. Word vomit, tons of words, much of it fluff for the sake of the world and characters and continuing everything. It is both to its benefit and its detriment. The pacing in these games is often questionable. In terms of pacing, DQ11 and Xenoblade 2 for example likely have the edge on that front story-wise (and often don't sacrifice character work to do it either). But in terms of sheer detail using words in jrpgs, they're second to none. I find that Falcom is stumbling more though, CS3 has more "anime" like xenoblade 2, but it's more prevalent throughout, more repetitive and duller than even XC2's worst (particularly thanks to choosing rean's romance partner which really hurts a bunch of the character work in these games) which is a shame since Trails in the sky was had less of that. Itemization isn't nearly as good as DQ games. The battle systems are nice in concept but have some notable execution flaws that don't quite work out most of the time usually with encounter design. The main selling point is their dialogue and stories and detail in every orifice that falcom can find.

What is also notable is that up to CS2, these also had some of the best localization work in JRPGs as a whole.

At the very least, play the trails in the sky games, they're quite good and interesting. But the series as a whole is well worth playing for how crazy ambitious it is.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The cutscenes aren't as long as Final Fantasy are they

I've literally had periods of longer than 30 minutes where I didn't do anything but advance text and get into fights (as in story fights that I don't have a choice on whether to engage in). But I loved every minute of it.

Edit: Just pulled up a playthrough of the section I had in mind and if you include the fight time it took the streamer 1 hour and 40 minutes before he could freely walk around again lol.

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those who haven't picked up the PS4 version, which would you go for? I'm having trouble deciding personally.

The PS4 version has 1080p resolution and is 60 frames per second.

And while the Switch version is 720p resolution and 30 frames per second, it has all the DLC for free which if you wanted it on PS4 would be about $45 altogether on PS4, and the portability would be nice for those segments where it's just dialogue, and nothing but.

Would love to hear y'all's opinions.
Honestly, what has my attention is it running in locked 720p 30 fps in undocked mode. I feel like if you want a definite portable experience, the Switch version is the way to go, while the PS4 would be preferable if you plan on playing it on your monitor/TV. I ended up picking the PS4 version during BF, but now i think i'll wait until the Switch release and play it there instead. I prefer my rpgs on a handheld console.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be port begging, but no PC port? Did NISA abandon Steam after the disastrous Disgaea 5 stuff?