• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Good thing I waited, I really like the Trails games but I played them all the ones I have on Vita and I really didn't want to play this game on a console.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I mean, the game has a 3 in the title. Unless anyone things that these are self contained games like Final Fantasy, they're perfectly aware of the fact that they're jumping into a story halfway through. It's their call.

The thing is, just because it has a number in the title doesn't mean it's the Xth part of a cohesive storyline these days. Most mainstream games try not to make all parts of a numbered series part of a strictly interwoven narrative these days especially because, as people pointed out in this thread, it inevitably turns the franchise into its own gatekeeper as console generations come and go.

Final Fantasy games, Fire Emblem games, heck Falcom's own Ys franchise all have numbered sequels but don't necessarily cause new players to miss out on the very things that define the franchise if they jump in at random points. The Kiseki franchise is more an exception rather than a rule in that regard.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I still have enough to play I don't need to get this game on either my ps4 or switch, so I'll keep waiting for the pc version just because I want all my trails games in the same platform. That's awesome for those who wanted to play it on switch though.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, just because it has a number in the title doesn't mean it's the Xth part of a cohesive storyline these days. Most mainstream games try not to make all parts of a numbered series part of a strictly interwoven narrative these days especially because, as people pointed out in this thread, it inevitably turns the franchise into its own gatekeeper as console generations come and go.

Final Fantasy games, Fire Emblem games, heck Falcom's own Ys franchise all have numbered sequels but don't necessarily cause new players to miss out on the very things that define the franchise if they jump in at random points. The Kiseki franchise is more an exception rather than a rule in that regard.

Uh, I gave the example of Final Fantasy in my post...
Here on Era most people are aware of how kiseki works, if anyone wants to jump in with CS3 it's their problem. We're beating a dead horse at this point.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Kondo for spreading the kiseki love, I hope you guys get ToCS1 and ToCS2 too. Also try LadyVirgillia's summary video if you don't have time to spend on playing the other games

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
I say that people play games for different reasons, while lots of people rave about the story in the Trails games
I actually really like their gameplay loops, character progression and battle tactics, some games can be more easily broken
than other in the series but it is always fun to mess with them quartz and go to town with very different team combinations.

If someone asked if to start with CS3 I would say, it is better to play CS1 & 2 before but on it own all the reviews I have read
say it is a great game so go ahead. Check Nadia Oxford's review at US gamer, she just played half of CS1 and jumped straight into
CS3 and had a great time, she mentioned that the recap helped quite a bit.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! That's the first part of an entire walkthrough though, right? Maybe I'll go through the prologue (if it is more important as an exposition), but then I think I will look for an "only cutscenes" version or something like that, and skip through that (since that would be long as well, just not as long as a walkthrough). Incomplete, sure, but so is watching Game of Thrones without having read the books, which is what most people did. So much is lost if you haven't read the books, yet lots of people still had a great time just watching the TV series.
It's a "story walkthrough". The person made a series of videos with only cutscenes and sidequests. There are only some footage of boss battles to contextualize things.

Oct 26, 2017
Question. How did the localization turnout? Did allthe VA's come back from 1 & 2? I didn't play either, I just wanted to know the verdict after everyone freaked out when the localization was initially announced (actually even before that :P).

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Question. How did the localization turnout? Did allthe VA's come back from 1 & 2? I didn't play either, I just wanted to know the verdict after everyone freaked out when the localization was initially announced (actually even before that :P).
Not quite as good as XSeed 's but far, far ahead of Ys VIII's trashfire.

Almost all of the VAs came back except for, I think, Millium's.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
guess falcoms dead to me now,i'll probably just pass on this if it ever does come to PC at this point

kinda a shame since I was pretty into this series at one point

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Can't comment on the dub since I played with Japanese voices, but the overall localization was good aside from some typos here and there and a few mistakes in item descriptions.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
guess falcoms dead to me now,i'll probably just pass on this if it ever does come to PC at this point

kinda a shame since I was pretty into this series at one point
what an odd comment.
because a very well deserved Niche franchise (legend of heroes) is branching out to multiple platforms its dead to you? Legend of Heroes always deserved attention and has produced some of the best JRPGS out to date. I'm happy for it to come to Switch. I will be happy again when it eventually comes to PC.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Inconsistent in its quality, but never as bad as the Ys VIII memes.

All voice actors reprised their roles except for two (one who had previously not returned for the first two games' additional voiced lines).

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
what an odd comment.
because a very well deserved Niche franchise (legend of heroes) is branching out to multiple platforms its dead to you? Legend of Heroes always deserved attention and has produced some of the best JRPGS out to date. I'm happy for it to come to Switch. I will be happy again when it eventually comes to PC.

i'm just tired of feeling jerked around,i've bought and played the 5 games on steam and even bought zero in anticipation of the geofront thing but the past couple years has been nothing but constant face spitting out of falcom from switching to nisa from xseed to begin with to this constant radio silence as it gets released on everything else

call it a final straw if you will but I just don't feel like falcom cares about me as a consumer at all anymore and i'm fed up with it

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
i'm just tired of feeling jerked around,i've bought and played the 5 games on steam and even bought zero in anticipation of the geofront thing but the past couple years has been nothing but constant face spitting out of falcom from switching to nisa from xseed to begin with to this constant radio silence as it gets released on everything else

call it a final straw if you will but I just don't feel like falcom cares about me as a consumer at all anymore and i'm fed up with it
XSEED would probably still be working on the series if they hadn't passed on Tokyo Xanadu (which led to Falcom opening up bidding for their other games to other publishers) in the first place. Also, XSEED never had PC versions of the first two Cold Steel games at launch either so it shouldn't be surprising that CS3 doesn't have one under NISA. I'm sure there will be a PC port in 2020, they likely just want to avoid another Ys VIII situation and get it right the first time.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I completely understand I say just hold faith for a bit longer if you can.

The Geofront translations are something unofficial but been a work in progress with a great team to handle it.
Falcom is finally understanding the franchise is growing outside of Japan. NISA picking up CS III (and probably IV) is the best thing to happen, as it most likely would've been dead after 2. With multiple rumors coming out that next year we will get multiple games from the franchise (CS III Switch and maybe PC, CS IV, crossbell games) I say just stay strong on this matter.

Again the franchise was never big, always niche. Its finally getting the love it deserves, so give it a bit of time. I can probably say without a doubt that NISA already shown love and care for CSIII, support for it, and even advertised it (partnerships, events, etc.) much more than XSeed did when they had the license for 1 and 2.

Give it time. I have Faith in NISA for this one. Localization might not be 100% or whatever, but I am confident they will support this franchise with everything they have as long as they are handling the titles.

Oct 26, 2017
Not quite as good as XSeed 's but far, far ahead of Ys VIII's trashfire.

Almost all of the VAs came back except for, I think, Millium's.
Can't comment on the dub since I played with Japanese voices, but the overall localization was good aside from some typos here and there and a few mistakes in item descriptions.
Inconsistent in its quality, but never as bad as the Ys VIII memes.

All voice actors reprised their roles except for two (one who had previously not returned for the first two games' additional voiced lines).

Thanks for the responses! :)

I also want to hear experience from someone who did begin with CS3 as their first Trails game ever. I don't think we've had one example so far here did we?

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
I really wish they would bundle up this series into a collection for a platform. I've heard many good things about this series and I'd like to start it, but it sounds like it's almost just as annoying to find the versions to play as it is to find "the best" version of each Final Fantasy.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I really wish they would bundle up this series into a collection for a platform. I've heard many good things about this series and I'd like to start it, but it sounds like it's almost just as annoying to find the versions to play as it is to find "the best" version of each Final Fantasy.
The whole series minus this one is available on PC. Then Cold Steel III is on PS4 and (obviously) Switch soon.

Deleted member 43810

Banned
May 23, 2018
I completely understand I say just hold faith for a bit longer if you can.

The Geofront translations are something unofficial but been a work in progress with a great team to handle it.
Falcom is finally understanding the franchise is growing outside of Japan. NISA picking up CS III (and probably IV) is the best thing to happen, as it most likely would've been dead after 2. With multiple rumors coming out that next year we will get multiple games from the franchise (CS III Switch and maybe PC, CS IV, crossbell games) I say just stay strong on this matter.

Again the franchise was never big, always niche. Its finally getting the love it deserves, so give it a bit of time. I can probably say without a doubt that NISA already shown love and care for CSIII, support for it, and even advertised it (partnerships, events, etc.) much more than XSeed did when they had the license for 1 and 2.

Give it time. I have Faith in NISA for this one. Localization might not be 100% or whatever, but I am confident they will support this franchise with everything they have as long as they are handling the titles.

Yeah, multiple game from the series (supposedly) releasing on console(s) next year and NISA promoting the series is definitely gonna calm people annoyed with radio silence around PC version while the third/eighth game in the series drops out of nowhere on Switch.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, multiple game from the series (supposedly) releasing on console(s) next year and NISA promoting the series is definitely gonna calm people annoyed with radio silence around PC version while the third/eighth game in the series drops out of nowhere on Switch.

This is my opinion (could be taken as a hot take i guess), people who have zero exposure to the franchise as a whole should only consider this as the 3rd entry, not 8th. If they have previous exposure to the other games, then yeah interpret it as 8th.
Each arc is its own saga with its own story. I always considered the Cold Steel Arc (Erebonia saga i guess?) its own entry in the franchise. The Cold Steel games, while having other protags from the franchise come in and such, always was developed around Class VII. It is Class VII's story. as well as Rean's story.

Again my thoughts and/or possible hot take

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the responses! :)

I also want to hear experience from someone who did begin with CS3 as their first Trails game ever. I don't think we've had one example so far here did we?
Not first hand impressions, but there were a few mentions in this thread of people/reviewers that played this game as their first (and they were all positive). Will try to look it up in a few moments as I am in the middle of something,

Here's one:
If someone asked if to start with CS3 I would say, it is better to play CS1 & 2 before but on it own all the reviews I have read
say it is a great game so go ahead. Check Nadia Oxford's review at US gamer, she just played half of CS1 and jumped straight into
CS3 and had a great time, she mentioned that the recap helped quite a bit.
Here's another
There's been a couple of reviews from people that played CS3 without playing any other of the previous games, and they were thrilled about it.

It's not ideal, but CS3 is a great rpg regardless if you are new to the story.
I'll give you my take. Having read all that people write here as to why one shouldn't play CS3 first, I stand even more firmly behind my point that this is no different than watching Game of Thrones without having read the books. There is so much that people don't understand, are missing the context of, can not appreciate, don't realize the meaning of etc etc because they haven't read the books, yet look, lots of people who never read the books had a great time watching the TV series. Imo anyone who says this is not a good analogy has not read the books (or maybe they read just one) so they don't understand the extent of what they are missing.
I'll go even one step further and let you in on a "secret". George R R Martin really takes his time writing the books, as in years and years between each one (series is not even finished in the books, curse him), and the gap keeps getting worse with every book. I started reading the series when the first book came out in 1996, long before the TV series was even dreamt of (series started 2011). Every time i picked up the latest book, it was years after I read the previous ones. And I usually hardly remembered a thing, not to mention any fine details. The first time, I reread the first book. But after that, it became harder and harder, so next time, I just skimmed through the two first books and read the recap, and the times after that I just read the recap. And guess what, i still had the time of my life each an every book. So i think I'll just be fine with some skimming of cutscenes and a recap. I seriously doubt this is George R R Martin level of writing and detail (which is a very high bar, not dissing on CS), so if I got by there, I'll get by here.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
MARCH 19 ?
That is much, much earlier than I thought.
Pergect. I'll get it day one in March. Very good time for that game, I'm very pleased.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Earlier than expected. Good.
But March in Japan there Is also ff7 remake on ps4, on switch isn't animal crossing releasing on March?
All switch owners will look after animal crossing

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I will be getting this for the Switch but what are the chances we see the Crossbell games? I am playing through CS1 for the first time now (in Ch. 3) after only playing Trails in the Sky on PSP 8 years ago. CS1 has reminded me why I enjoyed the series initially since the world building is so good, it definitely has me back in the series and I am seriously thinking about going back to the other games after CS2.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I will be getting this for the Switch but what are the chances we see the Crossbell games? I am playing through CS1 for the first time now (in Ch. 3) after only playing Trails in the Sky on PSP 8 years ago. CS1 has reminded me why I enjoyed the series initially since the world building is so good, it definitely has me back in the series and I am seriously thinking about going back to the other games after CS2.
Since they'll come "after Sen/Cold Steel, higher chance than any older one.
But since Falcom was looking into re-releasing older kiseki games, they might all more or less come to recent hardware.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Since they'll come "after Sen/Cold Steel, higher chance than any older one.
But since Falcom was looking into re-releasing older kiseki games, they might all more or less come to recent hardware.
It depends when they are planning It.
If they do straight Evolution ports It could be within a year, a remake much more time imho

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
What?!!
Does it mean I can finally continue my cold steel saga from days of the Vita? YeSSSSSS!

Now port all those tits to Switch as well! I will triple dip!

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I found the fans translation enoght to Jump on cs3 onwards.
I would welcome a remake with nisa localization but i would not like It because imho It would slow the localization of future titles like cold steel 4 and next year kiseki (cold steel 5?) and next arc which falcom Is already developing.
Imho

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
This is an extremely rare opinion concerning the Evo soundtracks.
????? There's very little of the music that is even equal to the originals, let alone better. That is a very rare take to have.
Well, tastes.

I can't speak for Sora but Zero and Ao's Evo musics are on another planet.
Sorry if you didn't like. It's probably the biggest selling point for these games to the point where I couldn't listen to originals anymore.
They feel so low quality and not well arranged in comparison.

I had the best time on Vita.
These 2 with Saga Scarlet Grace were the RPGs of the gen to me (with Xenoblade X I guess)

But lucky you I guess, since there's more chance the classic ones are kept for future localisations... probably.
What?!!
Does it mean I can finally continue my cold steel saga from days of the Vita? YeSSSSSS!

Now port all those tits to Switch as well! I will triple dip!
Are you me lol ?

Oct 26, 2017
71uyxbxWdIL.jpg
719JYkZ63KL.jpg
71eYNcsEwZL.jpg
71EcIHcaWBL.jpg
7111Jg%2BDceL.jpg

Source.

Oct 26, 2017
It's possible these are portable screens. The footage from GameSpot looked much cleaner, so I'd suspect that was in docked mode and includes AA in it only. There has to be some benefit to docked over portable mode. Funny enough Ni No Kuni by Engine was also 720p in both modes, did that have AA in docked mode?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible these are portable screens. The footage from GameSpot looked much cleaner, so I'd suspect that was in docked mode and includes AA in it only. There has to be some benefit to docked over portable mode. Funny enough Ni No Kuni by Engine was also 720p in both modes, did that have AA in docked mode?
Don't think so, no. If there were any differences, we'd know through the footage, which was aliased as all hell