• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So I am pretty far behind the rest of you. Just finished chapter 1, was a crazy ride towards the end there. Loving it so far.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
So I just finished the first field exercise day of Chapter 3 and

I loved learning about Sara's and Claire's back stories but... Did they have to end them like that? At this point I pity Rean a little. In stark contrast to CS1/2, he hasn't made (many) cheesy speeches (he had one with Laura and one with Alisa, granted, but that didn't involve Sara or Claire so there is no excuse). He hasn't really done anything to warrant being called a womanizer in this one, there isn't even anything he said innocently that could have been misunderstood, if you can't control your hormones because the dude is just being a decent human being then that is all on you not him, dear women of the game. Lol
I mean he is good-looking I guess but so are almost all other characters in this game safe a few + npcs, so there really is no excuse here.

I know I know, I should just learn to get over it, I won't change the harem aspect of this game anytime soon.

That being said I was very surprised about Claire's relationship to Osborne. Like. Uh. What exactly did Osborne do for her? Nothing. He only told her she better make sure her uncle dies. That's literally it. On top of that he knew about the truth behind the accident, and I can't believe someone as sharp as Claire did not even question why that was. All in all, I think there is no reason for her to be as loyal to Osborne as she seems to be. I repeat, he did NOTHING, he only had a conversation with her and recommended her to a military school. And the former also led to her doing something she seemingly - at least in part - regrets doing, so....???? She can't be that stupid, right?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Right now I'm working my way through the Recipe list and letting my imagination wander a bit for some of these failed recipes.

Electro Sandwich. How does this even work?

And screwing up Onion Rings so bad to the point you make Onion Tear Gas?

Some of the item descriptions are cracking me up.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, I don't get the complaints about the character in chapter 2 some people criticized. Their VA seems really fitting actually.

by the way, I think the class 7 VAs are doing an amazing job adding age to their VAs. The VA work all around has been great... except Kenneth. I hate his va lmao he was my favorite NPC too since he was always laser focused on fishing.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
So I just finished the first field exercise day of Chapter 3 and

I loved learning about Sara's and Claire's back stories but... Did they have to end them like that? At this point I pity Rean a little. In stark contrast to CS1/2, he hasn't made (many) cheesy speeches (he had one with Laura and one with Alisa, granted, but that didn't involve Sara or Claire so there is no excuse). He hasn't really done anything to warrant being called a womanizer in this one, there isn't even anything he said innocently that could have been misunderstood, if you can't control your hormones because the dude is just being a decent human being then that is all on you not him, dear women of the game. Lol
I mean he is good-looking I guess but so are almost all other characters in this game safe a few + npcs, so there really is no excuse here.

I know I know, I should just learn to get over it, I won't change the harem aspect of this game anytime soon.

That being said I was very surprised about Claire's relationship to Osborne. Like. Uh. What exactly did Osborne do for her? Nothing. He only told her she better make sure her uncle dies. That's literally it. On top of that he knew about the truth behind the accident, and I can't believe someone as sharp as Claire did not even question why that was. All in all, I think there is no reason for her to be as loyal to Osborne as she seems to be. I repeat, he did NOTHING, he only had a conversation with her and recommended her to a military school. And the former also led to her doing something she seemingly - at least in part - regrets doing, so....???? She can't be that stupid, right?
He actually gave Claire the courage to go and find the evidence to get her uncle dead. Prior to that she was just a kid in an overwhelming scenario, feeling like she had no chance of actually accomplishing anything and on the verge of just giving up. Giving encouragement and a pillar of strength to someone in their time of need can be a pretty powerful thing.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Right now I'm working my way through the Recipe list and letting my imagination wander a bit for some of these failed recipes.

Electro Sandwich. How does this even work?

And screwing up Onion Rings so bad to the point you make Onion Tear Gas?

Some of the item descriptions are cracking me up.
There's a recipe where it's all a meat pie, but then the unique one somehow becomes an apple pie.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, is is just me, or does Patrick, Randy, and Prince Olivert look like shit?

All the women faces look good. Most of the men look good too.

But man, Patrick, randy, and Olivert look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch coming down. Something about the eyes and the space in between? Good Lord. I'd take the vita version over these.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

But man, Patrick, randy, and Olivert look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch coming down. Something about the eyes and the space in between? Good Lord. I'd take the vita version over these.
I thought they looked fantastic, especially Olivier.

Oct 27, 2017

You're not wrong, Olivert doesn't look right at all. His CS2 model was much better. Patrick doesn't look right at all either.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
He actually gave Claire the courage to go and find the evidence to get her uncle dead. Prior to that she was just a kid in an overwhelming scenario, feeling like she had no chance of actually accomplishing anything and on the verge of just giving up. Giving encouragement and a pillar of strength to someone in their time of need can be a pretty powerful thing.

Fair point. But I still remain unconvinced. In that moment maybe she was eternally grateful to him for getting her out of that slump where she didn't know what to do. But objectively speaking he didn't do much, he didn't sacrifice anything for her or took her in when everybody treated her like a tool (like Irina Reinford did for Sharon), he just happened to be saying the "right" thing at the right moment (I put right in quotation marks because Claire herself also seems to have her doubts about whether it was the right thing to do in retrospective=.

He said something anyone else could have said too. So really... Objectively speaking he spent 5 minutes to give her a small pep talk. If that is enough to develop that degree of loyalty and devotion to the man (to the point of doing things that are morally questionable), I finally get why everyone loves Rean to the moon and back lol.

No in all seriousness though. Maybe I get why she reacted the way she did az the time. But it's been ten years and she should have enough emotional distance by now to figure out that a) he really didn't do that much objectively speaking and b) it's Hella suspicious he just so happened to know the truth about the accident and approached her about it too.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Olivier looked a little weird proportionally, and you could argue the same for Randy, but I think Patrick looks fine.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Olivert immediately looked weird to me, and I had no issues with him in 1/2.

anyway Erika Harlacher really acts her ass off in chapter 2. She's sooo good.

Last edited:

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Okay so I think I figured out what Musse's deal is. I'm just gonna write it down, don't tell me whether I am right or wrong yet if you already know. Just wanna share.my thoughts.

So I am on the second field exercise day in Chapter 3 just going around talking to the NPCs and

... Musse is the daughter of the late Duke Cayenne, isn't she? The one that one NPC talked about, Alfred I believe? Who died in an accident (or was it?) ten years ago. Now her "grandparents" drop that her parents died ten years ago, it is also known Coun Egret was close with the previous Duke so it would make sense for him to take in his daughter. Another thing supporting this theory in my head is that the Countess and Count hope for good news to come out of the council... I mean she does qualify to be the next Duchess technically then. Her being driven out of St. Astraia probably had political backgrounds. Seems she was going by her real name there, since Alfin and Elise seem to be so used to using that name.

There are a few things this doesn't explain though. Like how she knows all the things she does know, how she can almost predict certain things etc. Also why she chose to join the branch campus in the first place. What her ultimate goal is by manipulating things there behind the scenes. But regarding her family tree I am pretty positive about this now.

Watch me be totally off. But then again theory crafting is what makes this series so fun.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Olivert immediately looked weird to me, and I had no issues with him in 1/2.

anyway Erika Harlacher really acts her ass off in chapter 2. She's sooo good.

I think I've seen people have some issues with the male noses on those characters, how they are depicted in certain angles? I wasn't too bothered, but it's not a perfect version of previous anime art, at least.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Finished it
Hated how everyfuckingone is a turn coat, hated that Aurelia is beneath everything, hated that cliffhanger, hated that somehow the chancellor turns out to be stronger than everyone.
Also is Musse the grandmaster or i'm just off the mark? at least I think she is the missing awakener.
It's not really that everyone is a turncoat, it's that Erebonia are basically the bad guys from a political perspective and have been since Trails in the Sky. They are the token big evil empire and most of the major players are either with Osborne - THE big bad so far - or otherwise beholden to the government.

Rean and Class VII are constantly dealing with this. You can see it with the civil war, you can see it with Crossbell's occupation, you can see it with Hamel, you can see it with the noble/commoner struggle, you can see it with Osborne's actions affecting everyone. They are imperials and as such try to do the best for their nation but in the end they can only do so much.

The Erebonia arc added a lot more nuance to the people of the nation, but its bigwigs are still bad guys. So it makes sense that the Intelligence Division guys, the Ironbloods, the upper crust nobility would end up fighting for the wrong side in the end.

In fact, it always bothered me how Rean and his whole Ashen Chevalier thing goes at odds with how much he seems to hate Osborne. He works for him, he's no freedom fighter, he goes with the flow and is mostly just loyal to his friends and not some higher cause. It created this soft tension in the story. But by the end of CSIII that all bursts and becomes hard tension.

I don't know how CSIV handles it, but that was my takeaway from the series so far. The turncoats being turncoats breaking that soft tension bubble was actually relieving for me.

Now George and Franz Reinford are another story. I have absolutely no idea what's going on there or with the Gnomes in general.

Oct 25, 2017
The end of day 2 of Chapter 3 really makes me wish they added more voiced lines for Rean. His performance in that scenes really is great and there's way too many scenes where he goes totally silent. Here's hoping for a PC port that is more ambitious with the coverage of voice acting.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The end of day 2 of Chapter 3 really makes me wish they added more voiced lines for Rean. His performance in that scenes really is great and there's way too many scenes where he goes totally silent. Here's hoping for a PC port that is more ambitious with the coverage of voice acting.

Haven't got to that particular scene but Rean's voicework all around is great. He really nails the character and is easy to listen to he's also a lot more consistently good than some others. He's managed to hold a few scenes together on his own when some other VA's dropped the ball.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
How is the difficulty in this game? Will the higher difficulties really push you to make use of the deeper battle mechanics, or is it pretty easy fights if you are the expected level?

Havent played games in this series before, but I can have fun with an anime-style rpg as long as it is challenging.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How is the difficulty in this game? Will the higher difficulties really push you to make use of the deeper battle mechanics, or is it pretty easy fights if you are the expected level?

I'm playing on hard and it feels like normal from 1/2 outside of some nasty optional fights. After complaining about a particular fight (that I did manage to win) I found out there's a lot more possible with the given systems than I am doing especially when you start cheesing with stacking particular stuff like evasion buffs.

I can't speak for Nightmare

Oct 25, 2017

Havent played games in this series before, but I can have fun with an anime-style rpg as long as it is challenging.

Nightmare has been totally A+ so far me, nearing the end of Chapter 3. A few hard spikes in Chapter 1 and I've missed a few side objectives, but there's been a ton of great and exciting boss fights.

If you haven't played the series before, start with CS1 on Hard, then do CS2 on Nightmare, then CS3 on Nightmare. CS1 Nightmare is problematic for a dumb reason that is fixed in CS2/3.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden

Hard difficulty is perfect. Brave Orders is the only mechanic you need to master, then you can bend the game to your will.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Replaying 3rd, and holy shit! This guy was mentioned and even appeared all the way back then as a minor NPC!

OZo2Vbe.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I love how genuinely excited and emotional he sounds every time one of the old class VII shows up. Sean Chiplock is great.

The battle with Arianrhod and the Stahlritter was a bit of a damp squib for me. Amazing build up to the battle, but Aurelia completely wrecked them. Sandlot got one attack in, and the others got into formation, but that was the only turns they got. They only got those turns because I stupidly went into the fight with only 3 BP and wasted my first turn using a brave seed.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished chapter 2, that was SOOOO GOOD. Amazing. It's too bad Pokémon will be out soon and I'll have to take another break from the game, but I'll try to get as far into chapter 3 (or beat it, if possible) before that.

EDIT: Is the Revolution quartz good/worth equipping?

Last edited:

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

I just got to that scene and I agree. That's really the biggest "flaw" of this series. I tend to not mind until they actually DO voice an important scene and that just reminds me how much of a difference voice acting really can make if done right.

In other news Musse legit scares me. Like. Legit she is more scary than all actual antagonists, except the Chancellor maybe.

Also Rean's impersonation of Aurelia was on point. Lol
Oh wow he was Mishima? Would never have realised.

Lemme shock you one more: He's also the Great Deku Tree in Breath of the Wild lol.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh I'm so sick of all the harem bullshit especially with Elise. It's such a blight on this entire series. I know I'm beating a dead horse and nothing will chance but still.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I know I didn't mention this earlier but

Did Ash seriously just flip Rean off? Lol

Now that's new. Can't remember that happening in any Jrpg I have played. Maybe it happens in Yakuza but I haven't played any of those so...

Then again granted many JRPGs play in fantasy worlds where flipping someone off might not even be a thing. But either way, it got a double take and then a good chuckle out of me.

And Hummel in Ys VIII haha

LOL ikr. I haven't actually gotten to play Ys VIII yet (held off after that apparently abysmal translation and after they fixed it didn't get around to it yet), but I have seen clips. Props to the guy.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta say, the OST is really boring so far. The battle theme slaps, and that's about it. That and the Vantage Master theme, those two are the only memorable songs so far. The boss themes are extremely weak. Tokyo Xanadu had a way better ost.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know I didn't mention this earlier but

Did Ash seriously just flip Rean off? Lol

Now that's new. Can't remember that happening in any Jrpg I have played. Maybe it happens in Yakuza but I haven't played any of those so...

Then again granted many JRPGs play in fantasy worlds where flipping someone off might not even be a thing. But either way, it got a double take and then a good chuckle out of me.

Ash is a solid character all around. His story is a good one.
AyFt3ue.jpg

lol

Oct 25, 2017
1. I really hope one day Falcom puts in autosave.

Fuck man, I was at the end of Chapter 2 with 3 bosses in a row and I finally beat them, and my asshole ALWAYS PUCKERS UP when they don't throw up a save screen. Its like "FUUUUUUCK when is this cutscene over?!?! I need to fucking saaaaaave!!!"
Like, these games have never crashed on me, but still, I get nervous. I'm just waiting for something so I'll have to do all that shit over again.

Love of God, please just put in an autosave.

2. I am never watching those god damn opening Trails cinematic ever again. To hell with these.

Fucking spoils Crow coming back and that you fight against him. Like what the hell guys? I stopped the cinematic right there.

3. McBurn? Really? Lol. I still can't get over this name.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
1. I really hope one day Falcom puts in autosave.

Fuck man, I was at the end of Chapter 2 with 3 bosses in a row and I finally beat them, and my asshole ALWAYS PUCKERS UP when they don't throw up a save screen. Its like "FUUUUUUCK when is this cutscene over?!?! I need to fucking saaaaaave!!!"
Like, these games have never crashed on me, but still, I get nervous. I'm just waiting for something so I'll have to do all that shit over again.

Love of God, please just put in an autosave.
CSIV has autosave, so we're already good in that regard.

Well how about that difficulty spike for
dark dragon

It's probaly due to having to manage three teams which on a first playthrough will mean in all likelyhood that they won't be very well balanced between each other. Playing on nightmare I struggled in the second and third phase quite a bit, dying once on the second and two on the third, which is by far the largest amount of deaths I got on any non one vs one encounter.

The final boss is a massive pushover in comparison to the chapter 4 one, so once you defeat that one you're pretty much set.