• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Finished SC last night, ending was decent enough except I didn't think

Loewe's sudden change of heart

was particularly well written. The final boss wasn't too bad, I actually thought the hardest fight in the game was one of the guild request fight against worms, I don't know how you're actually supposed to beat that without spamming 4 s crafts right at the start

Played the first 15 mins of 3rd, glad to get away from Estelle as the main character honestly

edit - Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread lol

Last edited:

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Okay Randy. I mean I figured the SSS would have a plan but what game you playing here? But I really like his dynamic with Rean, he really doesn't want to fight him if he doesn't absolutely have to.

As for ships, with the conversation between Rean and Towa in this one I am 100% on board the ReanxTowa train, everyone else can go home. It's not even personal preferences, I just think it would be the most healthy (and realistic) relationship for Rean as a character, what with them being two people who have a helper-complex (or whatever u wanna call it), so they can cancel each other out by keeping tabs on the other. It's just a very mutually supportive, caring relationship in that regard, and physical attraction aside, that is something a relationship needs if it wants to last any.

Of course that does not include Crow, but Crow's whole life status is "what the heck is going on right now", so I think we need to sort that out before we can talk about viable shipping again. Lol

I also like that Towa did point out Rean changed. I mean yes he is, at the core, still very much the nice, helpful person that he was on CS1/2, he just is a lot less naive and implements backhanded tactics to get his way if need be (even if he's just trying to do a nice thing like offering an umbrella lol). I like the subtlety of it. The Rean in CS1/2 would have very much also offered his umbrella ofc, but he wouldn't have snarkly forced her to accept it, instead he probably would have just simply insisted for so long until Towa would have eventually given in. Then he would have went "but why do you not have an umbrella anyways, ur not the type to forget one", instead of instantly guessing what went down. I don't know. It just intrigues me that Rean is very much still Rean but just grown up. He didn't do a 180, he just matured like all of us do, maybe just a little faster because of his experiences. Towa is right in saying he lost his innocence, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. It's just inevitable when growing up.

Also when Towa talked about Angie and George... Ouch that hurt. She doesn't know. She has no idea. And I kind of really don't want her or Rean for that matter to find out, because they really don't deserve that. I mean, especially her. Rean has Class 7, none of whom have betrayed him or tried to do anything to each other, meanwhile that covers all of Towa's close friends sans Rean...

Last edited:

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I finished Cold Steel 3 yesterday. I'm not sure where I'd rank it in the series, exactly, but it's near the top, if not my favourite.

As for the cliffhanger, without going into details, I'm okay with it. I'm sufficiently psyched to play the next game, but I imagine I'd have been a lot more annoyed if I didn't know going in that Cold Steel 3 was not the end of this arc.

The dynamics of the relationship are also way different in more ways than one, with both internal/external factors at play.

With Joshua/Estelle, one could tell early on that Joshua was - imo - pretty obviously in love with Estelle and despite being close, he's always had this weird filter between their relationship where he's more like a childhood friend that's very close to Estelle, at least from his perspective. That, and there's, what I would say, "minimal' outside force egging em on non-stop on a "will they don't they", where we saw that Schera can see through their relationship, but for all intents and purpose, everyone in Sky was more than comfortable to not prod the issue and let Estelle/Joshua develop its natural course.

Elise and Rean just doesn't have those things. Their relationship, even the hints of romantic attraction from Elise's side - are more or less built on top of their familial relationship. Rean doesn't see her that way, but constant outside force meta-commentating on his sister complex and the non-stop egging by other girls that are more or less okay with Elise pursuing Rean just makes it all the more annoying.

I quite like this post, as it does well to explain why I'm only slightly bothered by Estelle and Joshua's relationship (I really wish Estelle hadn't treated Joshua like a brother at the start of the Sky trilogy), whereas, in contrast, I am very bothered by Elise and Rean's relationship. In particular, I'm annoyed with how everyone else encourages Elise and acts as though Rean is a jerk for not reciprocating his sister's incestuous feelings--he's the normal one for once in this case! That said, I actually enjoy how Rean is overprotective of Elise to the point that he starts behaving like a sociopath; I just wish Elise was actually interested in a suitor and not Rean.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Towa has it really rough...

I hate it when you beat the ever living shit out of a boss but then your whole team is laying on the ground and have had their asses handed to em.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn chapter 3 was long. I knew something was coming from the way people were reacting but I was not prepared for that...

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK.
Did I actually just witness George straight up murder Angelica?! I knew George had to be affiliated with the Gnomes but I wasn't expecting him to just go full evil like that. WHAT THE FUCK. M-maybe it's a fake out and they just abducted her? ...I mean Angelica can be pretty damn obnoxious but she ain't deserve to go out like that. :(

I knew that fucking Lughman was not to be trusted. NEVER trust a traveling professor who conveniently teleports everywhere for "research"!

Also, why did it seem like everyone already knew Arianrhod was Lianne Sandlot? I mean I always suspected she was but I don't remember there ever being an official reveal for the characters to gasp dramatically about. And why did no one ask how she's been alive for 200+ years lol. Or was this revealed in the Crossbell games?

I managed to deduce who Musse really was ahead of time but I'm still not sure how she seems to know everything, unless Vita just really taught her well during some little witch training session they apparently had.

And then there's Gaius talking about some ominous WIND OF LEGEND shit so I guess all that wind worship wasn't just fluff after all.

I'm so freakin' amped up right now.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Hot damn chapter 3 was long. I knew something was coming from the way people were reacting but I was not prepared for that...

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK.
Did I actually just witness George straight up murder Angelica?! I knew George had to be affiliated with the Gnomes but I wasn't expecting him to just go full evil like that. WHAT THE FUCK. M-maybe it's a fake out and they just abducted her? ...I mean Angelica can be pretty damn obnoxious but she ain't deserve to go out like that. :(

I knew that fucking Lughman was not to be trusted. NEVER trust a traveling professor who conveniently teleports everywhere for "research"!

Also, why did it seem like everyone already knew Arianrhod was Lianne Sandlot? I mean I always suspected she was but I don't remember there ever being an official reveal for the characters to gasp dramatically about. And why did no one ask how she's been alive for 200+ years lol. Or was this revealed in the Crossbell games?

I managed to deduce who Musse really was ahead of time but I'm still not sure how she seems to know everything, unless Vita just really taught her well during some little witch training session they apparently had.

And then there's Gaius talking about some ominous WIND OF LEGEND shit so I guess all that wind worship wasn't just fluff after all.

Haha I had the exact same reaction to the whole thing.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

Seriously WHAT THE FUCK.

an offscreen death in a trail game, especially cs3? Yeah no way she's dead, haha...

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Towa: Thinking about those two (Angie and George) makes me a little jealous. It's clear how much they mean to each other.

Me: OPEN YOUR EYES TOWA! Everyone from prototype Class VII other than you is either evil, dead, or both!! You're in danger girl. ;_;

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Towa: Thinking about those two (Angie and George) makes me a little jealous. It's clear how much they mean to each other.

Me: OPEN YOUR EYES TOWA! Everyone from prototype Class VII other than you is either evil, dead, or both!! You're in danger girl. ;_;

now all we need is for towa to be the grandmaster

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

D-don't joke about such things...

Towa: Aww, she's so short, they all said with laughter… look, how tiny!

Rean: Towa… why's your voice so deep… and what did you do to your hair?

Towa: But it never bothered me. Because I knew that one day, that tiny girl they mocked would amass power large enough to reshape the very planet itself.

Rean: NOOOOOO!!!

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Aurelia got tons of development, she feels like a different character now. Nearly finished the chapter 4 free day and so far, she's my favorite CS3 character.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished chapter 3 just in time for Pokémon.

something is obviously off about Gaius. Too many things to list, but the McBurn interaction was chief among them. Also why is he the only one without an S-Craft? I wouldn't be surprised if he's part of Ouroboros or Black Workshop or idk what other organization that's not good

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like shit's about to hit the fan so hard that I think they need Cassius Bright to clean this mess.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Okay that

fight with Aurelia and Victor Arseid. You see I am trying not to S-Craft-Spam, as I feel it can make things too easy. And I didn't. But then Victor was down and Aurelia had literally only 80 HP left, and then she fucking (sorry) petrified or froze my ENTIRE PARTY AT ONCE and I got a game over. Needless to say I was so done I just used impassion on everyone and S-Crafted them into the ground the second time. I try to not make this game too easy for myself but if it's gonna pull unfair shit on me like that then idec.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and I have some thoughts (or really one)...

WHY SIS THEY HAVE TO DO THAT TO MY FAVORITE WANDERING BARD!! Once I saw the thing in his hand I was preparing for the worst, and then boom... :(

ALSO:

I wonder who the last knight is going to be? I REALLY hope the wait for 4 isn't too bad

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Okay that

fight with Aurelia and Victor Arseid. You see I am trying not to S-Craft-Spam, as I feel it can make things too easy. And I didn't. But then Victor was down and Aurelia had literally only 80 HP left, and then she fucking (sorry) petrified or froze my ENTIRE PARTY AT ONCE and I got a game over. Needless to say I was so done I just used impassion on everyone and S-Crafted them into the ground the second time. I try to not make this game too easy for myself but if it's gonna pull unfair shit on me like that then idec.

Uh..

You fought her as Rean for an earlier sidequest, and used her throughout the Chapter 3 finale without realizing that her Prismatic Blade ability causes the Petrify status effect?

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Uh..

You fought her as Rean for an earlier sidequest, and used her throughout the Chapter 3 finale without realizing that her Prismatic Blade ability causes the Petrify status effect?

Oh I did, I just forgot. I was painfully reminded. XD

also I didn't expect her to do it to my entire party at once. I'm not sure what the probability percentage is on it, but it's not 100% I think, or I would have died a lot earlier in that fight. So what are the odds of it inflicting all 4 party members in one turn?

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Also for all the people talking about the end of chapter 3:

his name as we know is George Nome... Super close to George gnome.

They basically had it staring us in the face!

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017

It only dawned on me when Angelica shouted his full name

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
OMG. I can't believe I only made the connection when the black sphere showed up after Altina went berserk in that Goliath but... I am now 100% sure that guy is Alisa's dad.

First, she had a reaction to the sphere in Crossbell after hearing the voice and seemed kind of out of sorts afterwards.

Second, we learn from Schmidt that Franz Reinford actually came up with the Panzer Soldats.

Third, it seems they do serve a purpose for the gnomes, seeing how he seemed to be interested in what happened with the Goliath and Altina.

And last but not least, it would go in stride with the apparent theme of this game which is: "YOU THOUGHT I WAS DEAD BITCH?! WELL YEAH THINK AGAIN" LOL

That raises a whole new set of questions though (yet AGAIN). My main one being that the Goliath was sent to the branch campus by the government... Military? Someone from that camp at least. Now how are the gnomes involved with them? Do they have a spy on their ranks? Is Osborne working with them knowing who they are? Did they trick Michael Irving into thinking it was a government issued request somehow? All very mysterious. I really have no idea who is on what side anymore.

I realized that even back on CS2 once they started talking about the Gnomes more. So I always expected him to have SOME connection. But it could have been anything. For all we knew he could have been a descendant without even knowing himself.

I did however not expect the gnomes to be evil to this extent or that he would shoot Angie (or attempt to).

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Man, can anyone pass tips for end of chapter 1 big fight???

Shirley's S-Craft is unavoidable. I tried spacing out the team, but it doesn't work. Unless they aren't far enough apart?

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
Man, can anyone pass tips for end of chapter 1 big fight???

Shirley's S-Craft is unavoidable. I tried spacing out the team, but it doesn't work. Unless they aren't far enough apart?

Insight is what you should use on as many people as possible. Also, try and focus your damage on one of them after you get rid of all the adds in the fight.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm in here kind of late, but I just spent over 80 hours over the last week and a half playing through the first two games. I'd go so far as to say that they're collectively the best RPGs to come out of Japan over the last 10 years (even better than Persona 5). I'm hoping that it ends up being as good as the others, but damn the UI is so small (and I have to stop trying to press the right trigger to fast forward stuff, which I did a *lot* with the first two).

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I'm in here kind of late, but I just spent over 80 hours over the last week and a half playing through the first two games. I'd go so far as to say that they're collectively the best RPGs to come out of Japan over the last 10 years (even better than Persona 5). I'm hoping that it ends up being as good as the others, but damn the UI is so small (and I have to stop trying to press the right trigger to fast forward stuff, which I did a *lot* with the first two).
Yeah, gotta get used to Turbo being the left side of the touchpad. Bit of an odd placement for it, to be honest.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Still a little shocked at the fact that
the Gnomes are not little earth spirits with hats, but secret black op guys with future technology

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
So I started playing Pokémon for an hour or two yesterday and I realized that this game has now conditioned me to talk to NPCs at least twice. In any game. Pokémon's NPCs only have one piece of dialogue though. So even though I know that I end up interacting a second time only to realize for the 100th time that it's not a Kiseki game lol

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

I'll be honest

When Osborne said he would have liked to invite her to join the Ironbloods for a split second I was like "He IS joking..... Right? He's not actzally recounting what he already did... Right?"

I mean this series has pulled 180s on me so often by now nothing seems impossible.. But nah. Nah.... Right? (please don't actually answer that question).

Though the question as to why Towa, who could have joined any agency (like the chancellor said) would join the Branch campus is still open. Also how she deducted that Osborne is Rean's dad when... That is quite the huge reach if you have no clue about it whatsoever. Hm.

(But I still don't actually think I am on to something at all, it's just wild speculation and not something I actually believe to be true...for now.)

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'll be honest

When Osborne said he would have liked to invite her to join the Ironbloods for a split second I was like "He IS joking..... Right? He's not actzally recounting what he already did... Right?"

I mean this series has pulled 180s on me so often by now nothing seems impossible.. But nah. Nah.... Right? (please don't actually answer that question).

Though the question as to why Towa, who could have joined any agency (like the chancellor said) would join the Branch campus is still open. Also how she deducted that Osborne is Rean's dad when... That is quite the huge reach if you have no clue about it whatsoever. Hm.

(But I still don't actually think I am on to something at all, it's just wild speculation and not something I actually believe to be true...for now.)

That does get adressed in this chapter.

Towa's reason to join the branch campus that is.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 3 seems long as hell, though I'm not complaining given that it's been the best chapter so far.

Just wrapped up the second field exercise day and it seems like things are starting to get kind of nuts.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and this gif sums it up pretty well...

giphy.gif

Truly cannot wait for part IV.
Game was amazing.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Damn, why does the writing for III feel even better than that of CS I, II, and even Zero and Ao and I'm only at chapter 2?

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Towa... All of her friends are either missing or dead and Rean's going to meet up with ALL of his friends right after giving the report. Falcom must hate Towa so much.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well just finished the game

Spoilered random thoughts

* I was spoiled on Millium dying quite a while ago, though the only thing I knew is that it happened and not why or how, so I couldn't even be sure it was a real spoiler, but as soon as they revealed why Millium and Altina were created everything kind of fell into place so I was expecting that sword (heh, sword...) to drop all throughout the finale, and it did. RIP Millium, you were too blue and hungry for this world.
* Cedric deserves to be pile drived, nailed to a stake and then fed to Cerberus while the entire nation watches. Osborne too but we already kinda knew that.
* Olivier, Toval, and Victor being toast seems likely though you can never be sure with anime, but I'm totally sticking to the "No body" rule for Angelica until proven otherwise. It's not like death has been little more than a slap on the wrist in this arc to this point. Well, unless you turn into a sword then you're definitely screwed.
* Game became hilariously easy after the halfway mark, Brave Orders are just incredibly overpowered and it was actually a lot of fun experimenting with which Brave Order/party combinations can do the most ridiculous amounts of damage before the bosses even get a turn
* I honestly have no idea where the fourth game even goes from here. Hearing how some of the JP players have responded to it poorly makes me a bit apprehensive as I can totally see realistically how the fourth game could turn out to be a total dud after the craziness they built up in the finale, but I'll remain optimistic for the time being.
* Not gonna lie, Alisa suddenly teleporting in an ORBAL GEAH at the last minute after that fight was the hypest part of the final chapter, talk about throwing a curveball.
* STOP
* LAUGHING
* DEAR
* GOD (Teehee)
* Did I mention Cedric can eat a dick? Maybe strangle him with Testarossa's glorious hair(?), that'll teach him a thing or two

CS4 when?

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Well just finished the game

Spoilered random thoughts

* I was spoiled on Millium dying quite a while ago, though the only thing I knew is that it happened and not why or how, so I couldn't even be sure it was a real spoiler, but as soon as they revealed why Millium and Altina were created everything kind of fell into place so I was expecting that sword (heh, sword...) to drop all throughout the finale, and it did. RIP Millium, you were too blue and hungry for this world.
* Cedric deserves to be pile drived, nailed to a stake and then fed to Cerberus while the entire nation watches. Osborne too but we already kinda knew that.
* Olivier, Toval, and Victor being toast seems likely though you can never be sure with anime, but I'm totally sticking to the "No body" rule for Angelica until proven otherwise. It's not like death has been little more than a slap on the wrist in this arc to this point. Well, unless you turn into a sword then you're definitely screwed.
* Game became hilariously easy after the halfway mark, Brave Orders are just incredibly overpowered and it was actually a lot of fun experimenting with which Brave Order/party combinations can do the most ridiculous amounts of damage before the bosses even get a turn
* I honestly have no idea where the fourth game even goes from here. Hearing how some of the JP players have responded to it poorly makes me a bit apprehensive as I can totally see realistically how the fourth game could turn out to be a total dud after the craziness they built up in the finale, but I'll remain optimistic for the time being.
* Not gonna lie, Alisa suddenly teleporting in an ORBAL GEAH at the last minute after that fight was the hypest part of the final chapter, talk about throwing a curveball.
* STOP
* LAUGHING
* DEAR
* GOD (Teehee)
* Did I mention Cedric can eat a dick? Maybe strangle him with Testarossa's glorious hair(?), that'll teach him a thing or two

CS4 when?
Yeah, the ending is absolutely crazy. I hear more mixed things than I do negative concerning CS4, which I hear stems a lot from how bonding is handled in that game, but also some plot stuff, so I got no idea what to expect from CS4.

Last edited:

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the ending is absolutely crazy. I hear more mized things than I do negative concerning CS4, which I hear stems a lot from how bonding is handled in that game, but also some plot stuff, so I got no idea what to expect from CS4.

Yeah CS4 reactions were mixed. Both negative and positive. You'll not know where you stand until you play it though. I liked it quite a bit myself, but I can see where people's problems arose.

Some things though people want to attribute just to CS4, but are in fact repeated issues through the whole series.

As for bonding well. I'll just say they either had to go all out or commit to someone. I remember when CS3 came out first a lot of people were not happy at them both doing multiple bondings but trying to also have Alisa too. So they had to make a choice. you'll just have to play CS4 to understand it as I won't spoil anything

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
So seeing how I am creeping up on the end of the game I am getting increasingly nervous about a CSIV localization. I know I probably don't have to but I am a worry wart, lol. I just went to the NISA online store to check stock and the game isn't even there at all anymore (neither limited edition nor the regular one)? Like... Even with the initial selling out I would have expected there to be a restock by now. Is this me or...? I'm honestly surprised.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Minor gripe about the ending

I thought we were going to get a sort of epilogue like CS2.
I mean, plenty of stuff went down, and I was looking forward to everyone's reactions... (Jusis, Alisa)

I just hope CS4 doesn't start "6 months after".

Also, what was the point of Kurts character?
(I know it will probably be addressed on CS4) but seriously, character went nowhere during the whole game.