• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minor gripe about the ending

I thought we were going to get a sort of epilogue like CS2.
I mean, plenty of stuff went down, and I was looking forward to everyone's reactions... (Jusis, Alisa)

I just hope CS4 doesn't start "6 months after".

Also, what was the point of Kurts character?
(I know it will probably be addressed on CS4) but seriously, character went nowhere during the whole game.
Kurt pretty much just a direct opponent for Cedric.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished chapter 3. Goddamn at the ending. The twist was so obvious I thought the twist would be there is no twist. And of course it had to include glasses.
Kondo, you crazy bastard.

Also, I hope I'm wrong, but Gaius having a Stigma has to be the worst kept secret ever. There have been hinting at it heavily since CS1 and if you've played The 3rd is pretty obvious the reveal is coming.

Last edited:

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I thought the end of Chapter 3 was going to be a really huge plot twist, but like others have said
it was really predictable and small in the big scale of things. George is connected with the Gnomes, Crow isn't dead, and Angelica *maybe* got shot.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
So basically Osborne happened because of Weissman?!

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
People have told me Chapter 4 is long but maaaan. I've been at this for more than a week now. Not complaining though, it has been very entertaining. I am currently on Field Exercise Day 2, just finished the first half of the day. Some thoughts

Rean snapping at the guy trying to get to Elise was gold. "That was the moment Instructor Rean quietly snapped" - thank you for that Altina. 😂 I only wish this scene was voiced cause... In all honesty, Rean is a good guy and he accepts a lot of bull from people without putting them on his bad list... But you really really don't wanna get on his actual bad list, because the guy gets pretty scary.

I like the dynamic between Juna and Kurt. Still. I can see how they are probably not going anywhere cause ofc at some point Juna has to fall for Rean but I still enjoy it. They're the "do you get any of this?" "not really" "good, that makes me feel better" exposition kind of duo and it just works for me. I've seen people say Kurt has more chemistry with Cedric but at least from where I am standing Cedric has said one (1!) nice, non-condescending line to Kurt all game so far. Even IF Kurt was somehow hung up on him and his lost duty to him or whatnot to the point of having a crush, Cedric hardly deserves him after spouting all that shit. I mean my stance might change, I haven't finished the game, but I doubt it will.

Now I am privvy to seemingly small details with this series but in the beginning of this chapter, during the study day, Rean mentioned that the sky looked weird. I was like "looks cloudy to me, idk why you are mentioning that", and then sure enough later it rained and I was like "what's the POINT of that line, clouds aren't weird, it's called WEATHER", but then later someone (I don't even remember who) had a line about the weather changing and being foreboding or something and I was like "ok this is Kiseki I am sure that line wasn't pointless".

Then now on the second field exercise day the sky looks exactly like the time Rean said it looked weird. Hm. Just an observation.

Anyways, shit is about to go down and apparently Vampires are now a thing. Cool. I guess why not. I mean any novel in this game seems to be based on actual true stories after all. I wonder when we are gonna meet Tomatonio, the tomato. Lol

I thought the end of Chapter 3 was going to be a really huge plot twist, but like others have said
it was really predictable and small in the big scale of things. George is connected with the Gnomes, Crow isn't dead, and Angelica *maybe* got shot.

I think what was shocking about it for me is for one, relation to the gnomes or not, that George would go so far (if he did really seriously attempt to shoot her and not cop out somehow).

But more importantly, rather than the impact on the grand scheme of things, it's the personal impact on the characters, especially Rean and most especially Towa. They just don't deserve this after all that crap with Crow, and I find myself not wanting them to ever find out. I think that's the impact they were going for, at least.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished the game is past weekend and:

End story spoilers:

I knew Millium was going to die because of google spoilers but I never actually knew the context and despite knowing this it still fucking felt bad when she died trying to protect everyone and that idiot Rean who immediately fucked up her sacrifice. I actually teared up. I knew that was fucking over too because Lammy got shattered into pieces and the way the scene was done. Millium has always been my number 1 favorite character in the series and it fucking sucks that she's gone. Unlike what happened with the Courageous where I fucking know those dudes survived, Millium is extremely dead/now a sword.

All and all I loved it and cannot wait for CS4. The problem of Cedric is the biggest thing on my mind beside what they're going to do with sword Millium now.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Chapter 2 second day. Wow. Plot is better but It Is teases everytime lol.
Crossbell music Is perfect to show the situation imho

Oct 25, 2017
God, the end of Chapter 4 is insane.
Everything came together in such a crazy manner. They had been building up to all of that stuff, but everything with Ash really just fell apart. I have no clue what was controlling him there, but man, I'm just pissed off at the way he was used. Osborne has a lot to answer for. Oh, and of course Cedric is a fucking Ironblood now.

I have no clue where this last chapter is going to go, but I need some answers.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at evening day 1 in Chapter 4. I want to finish the game by the end of the week... so I'll be playing around the clock when not working 😂

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So seeing how I am creeping up on the end of the game I am getting increasingly nervous about a CSIV localization. I know I probably don't have to but I am a worry wart, lol. I just went to the NISA online store to check stock and the game isn't even there at all anymore (neither limited edition nor the regular one)? Like... Even with the initial selling out I would have expected there to be a restock by now. Is this me or...? I'm honestly surprised.

I'm pretty sure whatever deal NISA agreed with Falcom will have been to localise both 3 and 4, I woudn't worry too much about that

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
So seeing how I am creeping up on the end of the game I am getting increasingly nervous about a CSIV localization. I know I probably don't have to but I am a worry wart, lol. I just went to the NISA online store to check stock and the game isn't even there at all anymore (neither limited edition nor the regular one)? Like... Even with the initial selling out I would have expected there to be a restock by now. Is this me or...? I'm honestly surprised.
they never sold the regular edition on their store, only the limited one and that was sold out before launch

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Is Trails in the Sky 3rd ever relevant? I feel like I've gotten all of the Liberl references just playing the first two. I don't love those games so I don't want to go out of my way to play it if it doesn't matter, or only matters slightly.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Is Trails in the Sky 3rd ever relevant? I feel like I've gotten all of the Liberl references just playing the first two. I don't love those games so I don't want to go out of my way to play it if it doesn't matter, or only matters slightly.
Yes but in a different way from the first two. 3rd is primarily exploring characters' backstories and setting up for future games so its immediate relevance is less obvious. I wouldn't say you're required to go and play it for that reason.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: yes, probably the most important game lore-wise, and the best game together with Ao

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
So far at least 3rd has all been getting to know existing charcaters better rather than advancing storylines in any meaningful way, that might well change later in the game though .

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
You say lore-wise, but I guess what I should ask is does it matter more in CS4 than it does in CS3, because I feel like in CS3 it didn't matter at all.
I haven't played CSIV, but I doubt it.

The 3rd mostly consist of character moments and set up, and we're not waiting for a pay off for said set up, we're still waiting (or we have waited) for even more set up. So for what you're looking for, it's not essential so far. Only Zero really benefits from the 3rd plot wise, as Kloe's and Killika's story in that game continue what was introduced in the 3rd, and not mentioned at all in the previous games, so it might create a tad of confussion in that regard if you jump directly from SC, but nothing too serious.
You also get a better picture of certain lore elements that are still meant to be mystery, particularly regarding the Church, but nothing that I would qualify as mandatory.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
3rd has references to a lot of stuff in CS. Replaying it now and seeing minor characters like Marquis Ballad make an appearance, Vita Clotilde be hinted at, Osborne showing up and confronting Olivier with a particular gunpoint scene showing up in Cold Steel quite a bit, stuff about North Ambria which is directly related to a plot beat in CS3, Lechter's introduction and past which sets him up for every future appearance, etc.

I can totally see why people say it's important.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017

Well it expands heavily on the lore and role of the gralsritter and septian church.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of Trails in the Sky 3rd .

Anyone know if there is a cheat engine for the game on PC? I have been trying to replay the game but i can't stand the combat without the QQL improvements and game play enhancement of the recent games lol.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
It's only slightly relevant to be honest. And like all of these games, things get explained again when they pop up in future games so it's hard to actually get lost.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

It is the first phase of what they laid out in future games. So it is still relevant to this day.

But even outside of that, 3rd tells an emotional story from a different side. It's not something you'll find in another game.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
3rd is relevant only in a sense of lore dumping and exposition. Slight spoilers but I wont hide it for example in that you get to see Olivert and Osborne talk to each other in Grancel and see a "battle of words" between them and you just get an even more ominous foreboding from Osborne.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I feel like by the time I am finished with this game, it will be a distant memory for everyone else. Still in what feels like the middle of Chapter 4, considering I know it's supposedly very long. I have been going at a snail's pace because life and especially work has been so busy, and it's not getting less (I didn't even touch Pokémon beyond the first 3 hours, today I was a major disappointment to my "4 arena badges!!!!"-colleague).

Unfortunately, I will have to take a break from this as I am not home from tomorrow after work until Sunday evening. But I do hope that I can finish by the end of the month then, considering the supposedly short Chapter 5. I mean I am enjoying it so I won't rush it, tho.

I'm pretty sure whatever deal NISA agreed with Falcom will have been to localise both 3 and 4, I woudn't worry too much about that

I do hope so but apparently in an interview in September they said they would love to localize it but had no concrete plans, which if it was a packaged deal they should have had by that point.

Then again as someone who works in pr and marketing herself I know better than even most people that this could just as easily be pr speech. Not very good pr speech since it creates uncertainty among people where they otherwise would have been none or little. But sometimes it's necessary to tell a white lie if the truth hasn't been green-lit for confirmation from the top. So it's either that - a white lie that needed to be told in order to not get fired even if they probably knew it wasn't a clever thing to say - or actually the truth.

And even if the latter option being the case is unlikely... I still worry lol.

they never sold the regular edition on their store, only the limited one and that was sold out before launch

Oooh that explains why there aren't any regular editions. Restocking limited editions would also defy the limited nature so that explains that part too.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly done with chapter 4
glad to hear that Rean drove off Calvard during the Crossbell invasion without actually killing anyone.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Just finished chapter 3. Goddamn at the ending. The twist was so obvious I thought the twist would be there is no twist. And of course it had to include glasses.
Kondo, you crazy bastard.

Also, I hope I'm wrong, but Gaius having a Stigma has to be the worst kept secret ever. There have been hinting at it heavily since CS1 and if you've played The 3rd is pretty obvious the reveal is coming.
There's hints, if you're paying attention and able to draw certain conclusions, a lot of people really don't get the connections. But also he didn't have a stigma in CS1 or 2, that was never a thing. You'll understand in chapter 4 when you get the full explanation.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's hints, if you're paying attention and able to draw certain conclusions, a lot of people really don't get the connections. But also he didn't have a stigma in CS1 or 2, that was never a thing. You'll understand in chapter 4 when you get the full explanation.
actually
the implication is more that he had a latent stigma and Barkhorn found him. As Barkhorn died he somehow transferred his activating gaius' stigma. That in itself doesn't tell us anything but then when we think back on 3rd there where two important flashback scenes between Ein and Rufina that actually contextualise this more; they're lamenting that Rufina would have been a great Dominion, but alas, she does not have a stigma. If the Stigmata where so easy to transfer they also would; have been able to figure out something for Rufina in this case.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
actually
the implication is more that he had a latent stigma and Barkhorn found him. As Barkhorn died he somehow transferred his activating gaius' stigma. That in itself doesn't tell us anything but then when we think back on 3rd there where two important flashback scenes between Ein and Rufina that actually contextualise this more; they're lamenting that Rufina would have been a great Dominion, but alas, she does not have a stigma. If the Stigmata where so easy to transfer they also would; have been able to figure out something for Rufina in this case.
Oh wow, it's almost like the 3rd is important.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Oh wow, it's almost like the 3rd is important.
All games are important, but everything has to be looked at from the perspective of the person asking. If someone doesn't want to play it because they didn't love Sky and don't want to play it unless is plot relevant, then having a bit more early set up that allow us to make slightly more educated guesses isn't what I would call essential as everything that the 3rd deals with will have to be expanded upon greatly in future games regardless.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought George's name being G Nome was just a red herring but nope, can't believe they just put it out there. Got it figured since CS2 but I was hoping it wasn't thay obvious lol

Kinda hated the repetitive structure of each chapter hopefully it's changed on CS4. CS3 is probably the best CS for me right now. Also for the love of god just let Rean call in Valimar lol, he gets interrupted every single time. Maybe he should try speaking it faster lol

End chapter boss can be rough on nightmare first playthrough especially chapter 3, was forced to use my Zeram and Brave items

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I thought George's name being G Nome was just a red herring but nope, can't believe they just put it out there. Got it figured since CS2 but I was hoping it wasn't thay obvious lol

Kinda hated the repetitive structure of each chapter hopefully it's changed on CS4. CS3 is probably the best CS for me right now. Also for the love of god just let Rean call in Valimar lol, he gets interrupted every single time. Maybe he should try speaking it faster lol

End chapter boss can be rough on nightmare first playthrough especially chapter 3, was forced to use my Zeram and Brave items

LMAO I legit never made that connection until now, mainly cuz I
never paid attention to his last name. But have the gnomes been mentioned before? I must've forgotten, thought they were just introduced in this game.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
actually
It's still problematic in that contradicts everything we know about stigmas and how they work. Never mind the fact that anything the dominions say is never really the whole truth and it could all be a coverup or secret mission among many other things (yeah we read that) but even taking what is said at face value makes what happened unprecedented and strange. Gaius may or may not have had a potential stigma, it's never confirmed if that's what Barkhorn's interest in him was or simply in his preternatural abilities in sensing things like higher elements that they're trained to sense among many other people with special abilities can, and since his duty was to give them sunday school anyway it's an opportunity to, at the very least, groom a potential squire if nothing else. But ultimately the problem boils down to this: Barkhorn gave Gaius his stigma (unprecedented), Gaius claims it's the same stigma Barkhorn had and hence the same seat was gifted to him, which means he couldn't have had his own potential stigma because what we know about stigmas is: There's only 12, there's no dupes, and there weren't any open seats in the dominion as far as I remember. There's also nothing that truly qualifies as enough of a trauma, or a relic, to fulfill the known conditions to stigmatize anyway. But he also says that him becoming a dominion wasn't a choice or forced on him, he says specifically it was a "gamble." There's more to the story that isn't said, and that's why it's weird and unprecedented. But this doesn't preclude anything about Rufina either since A) if it requires the death of a dominion to transfer a stigma, the church is not gonna just go and kill one just to promote someone else, and/or B) requires a natural affinity for things like the higher elements that Gaius had.

Either way, it's all around a strange turn of events that never gets cleared up, which just makes it seem like it's actually the truth, that it was indeed transferred and that's that. *shrug*
LMAO I legit never made that connection until now, mainly cuz I
never paid attention to his last name. But have the gnomes been mentioned before? I must've forgotten, thought they were just introduced in this game.
In CS2 yes.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
3rd Is indeed important but
as everything that the 3rd deals with will have to be expanded upon greatly in future games regardless.
I agree completly.
Falcom does things like that.
It teases and along the way they make things bigger and bigger.
So 3rd Is imho not necessary but i would Watch at least its plot cutscene on YouTube unless one wants to dive on Sky arc again

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I feel like by the time I am finished with this game, it will be a distant memory for everyone else. Still in what feels like the middle of Chapter 4, considering I know it's supposedly very long. I have been going at a snail's pace because life and especially work has been so busy, and it's not getting less (I didn't even touch Pokémon beyond the first 3 hours, today I was a major disappointment to my "4 arena badges!!!!"-colleague).

Unfortunately, I will have to take a break from this as I am not home from tomorrow after work until Sunday evening. But I do hope that I can finish by the end of the month then, considering the supposedly short Chapter 5. I mean I am enjoying it so I won't rush it, tho.

I'm in the exact same spot, halfway through Chapter 4; like you said it sounds like Chapter 4 is the last big chapter, so there's really not that much left. I go back and forth between wanting to finish the game because of Jedi Fallen Order, Atelier Ryza, Pokemon, & Death Stranding, and wanting to savor what I have left. I mean after this we're going to have a Trails drought for a fair amount of time, most likely. Best case I'd imagine we get CS4 next Fall/Winter.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I'm in the exact same spot, halfway through Chapter 4; like you said it sounds like Chapter 4 is the last big chapter, so there's really not that much left. I go back and forth between wanting to finish the game because of Jedi Fallen Order, Atelier Ryza, Pokemon, & Death Stranding, and wanting to savor what I have left. I mean after this we're going to have a Trails drought for a fair amount of time, most likely. Best case I'd imagine we get CS4 next Fall/Winter.

From those games I only play Pokémon, though I might pick up Jedi Fallen Order sometime in the future on sale, since I am hearing it's surprisingly good. The other games just aren't my cup of tea, but my backlog is already quite big so it's not like I have a shortage of games to play. I guess I'll get some Pokemon in this weekend (courtesy of Switch Portability) before going back to CS3 Sunday evening. I predict I will be done by the beginning of December the latest.

As much as I wanna play all those other games I am opting to savor it cause like you said... There will be a drought. And honestly the more good games I have inbetween this and CSIV, the easier the wait will be, so...

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Is Trails in the Sky 3rd ever relevant? I feel like I've gotten all of the Liberl references just playing the first two.

Probably not as relevant as some people have been saying here, but more important than you think. I'd recommend at least watching Star Door 15 and some of the scenes with Renne if you ever go onto the Crossbell games, since that's the only part of Sky 3 that I've found extremely beneficial to later games thus far. Honestly, you can see most of the lore used in later games just by watching several of the Star Door scenes, if you're worried about missing some references, although most of these points are explained again in the future games. As for Sky 3's main plot, if you want to know...

The Septian Church has a group of knights called the Gralsritter, led by people with super powers called Dominions. The Dominions have supernatural abilities powered by Stigmas, which are unlocked by something awful happening to them. Kevin is a Dominion, and these knights are all over the continent and regularly appear at some point in future arcs.

With that said, I don't want to imply that I think Trails in the Sky the 3rd should be skipped. I think it should be played, but less for the lore and more because it's just a good game.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
As much as I wanna play all those other games I am opting to savor it cause like you said... There will be a drought. And honestly the more good games I have inbetween this and CSIV, the easier the wait will be, so...
Not in Japan since next September arrives a new kiseki and nisa will have 2 games to bring to the west...a busy schedule for the translation indeed