• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
- Seeing Agate, Tita, Randy, etc in 3D is a long time coming T_T
- I feel like they're really hinting that there's another third party outside of Ouroboros and Osborne. Rutger doesn't flat out say he's on Osborne's side. And I feel like the story is going towards the idea of "It's beyond just Osborne vs Ouroboros" anyways
- Since Rutger was brought back to life, I'm guessing Crow will be resurrected as well. Plus he's in the opening movie all masked i guess lol. It's obvious that there is some sort of artifact,technology,ritual,etc that can bring the dead back to life based on what happened in CS2.
- Musse is definitely some sort of Erebonian noble. She knows about Hamel and everyone's situation. And a couple of characters already pulled the "I think I seen her before" line on her lol. She's fukking around with Ouroboros but she playing that 4D chess too like Osborne. Maybe she's part of the third party?
- Speaking of Hamel, it's cool that they return to Hamel. And the implication that Rean and Ash (and Osborne?!) are additional survivors of Hamel can lead to insane story stuff. Maybe it's the foundation of Osborne's actions and beliefs?
- I wonder why Osborne chained down Aurelia and have Michael watching her like how Altina is assigned to watch on Rean. Maybe it's in a convo that I missed.
- Having Rean reunite with his classmates beyond just the original Class VII is awesome.
- SHIRLEY MOTHERFUCKING ORLANDO!
- With the games now in 3D, it's cool to see just how big aions are from Crossbell arc.
EDIT: by third party, I also mean not just the Crossbell gang as well.

Last edited:

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
So just started chapter 3 and got reintroduced to another former Thors student from the previous games.

I just noticed something about his name. It...can't be that obvious right? How did I not catch this back in CS1 and 2 lol

George Nome
George is part of the Gnomes isn't he?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Holy shit this chapter 4 dungeons is sooo long, I've been playing this dungeon for a few days already. Granted I only play an hour or 2 at a time...

I left off after what I imagine the last rest point before the boss battle. I'll leave it for tomorrow

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 3 complete. Well, THAT happened.

Hm, NISA did pretty good with this game's english dub. I definitely don't agree with launch week sentiments that the dub sounded 'off' or just plain bad. Awkward-sounding lines are few and far between, which in a series loaded to the brim with anime tropes is quite the feat. And I appreciate that they seemingly got back almost everyone from the previous games to voice their Cold Steel characters again. Game's been a treat in that regard so far.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I still think they could have chosen a better VA for Campanella... But by the end of the game I had gotten used to it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There's something rather cozy about the branch campus being this smaller assembly compared to what the case was with the main campus in CS1 and 2. I quite like it.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
After 85 hours I finished the first game.

Dear god.....do they all end like that?!

h2xcHlE.png

Oh, you have NO idea; it's practically the series staple besides excellent tunes.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Finished chapter 4.
Not that big suprise many claim.
Real twist was at chapter 3 end imho.
Now i will stop playing for a week...

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
so completed chapter 2; man did I really love this chapter specailly since I beat Zero and Ao so recently. continuing from where I left off in chp.1 first;

Really didn't expect shit to go down so early!! that attack on the campus was nuts! glad to see Elliot, Laura, and Fie to save the day!!! As know Lecter too....hmmm can he be another plant like Altina was?

Didn't expect Hamel to be introduced as well! what a throwback; but man on mand at the possible revalation!!! could Rean and Ash bot have some connection to Hamel!?!?!?

Musse is actually getting quite intersting...she knows too much...from what is revaled in chapter 2 Im assuming she's a daugter from one off the noble houses..what other reason would she drop transfer schools and change names.

intersting to see the Aion from Ao to make a comeback....what is Ouroboros planning.....

An we finally see Fie's adoptive father back in the flash

for chapter 2:

MAN O MAN did I love tis chapter!! seeing Crossbell and 3d HD glory I was absoutely gusing!! man I wish we were able to see all of crossbell extending cities.

They nailed Tio's voice exactly how I imagined er to sound like; the short interactions with Randy wanted me to see the rest of the SSS so bad!!! Broke my heart to see that empty building.

The attack on the Orchis tower was so to obvious but man did Campanella's shiting on Juna's hope was some top teir villany! I quess her outburst of despair made Rufus at least lessen some of the pressure for Lloyd and co.

Nice to see Olivert Lenhiem make a return!!!

Interesting to find out there's some division in Ourobros; Sharon's backstory was interesting; it seems she'll atleast won't stop their plans unless the Reinford family is in direct impact, what revalation was it that she and #0 fought Sara to prevent her from helping out during the Liberl crisis!

Also Vita is no longer apart of Ouroboros and #0 & #1 are trying to capture her, and Bluebanc is sidelined because of it. But she still is loyal to the Grandmaster.

now this 3rd party of the Gnomes is even more interesting! along with is supposed crowe look-a-like(or Crowe himself)...I'm guessing these knights they pilot somehow brought him and the Jeager King back to life or they're a new breed of humonculi like Altina and Millie. Now I'm wondering if Randy's dad is alive too!

And this Black workshop....what on earth did Osborne sow them to convince them to leave Ouroboros!?!??1

might as well calll this Trails of dropping mind bombs!!! on to chapter 3!!!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I never bothered resorting to cooking exploits for farming money in the first two games, but given how stingy this one has been with the Mira early on, Juna's potato dishes have been saving me a lot of trouble.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Still taking my time and haven't advanced beyond Chapter 1, but actually enjoying Vantage Masters so far after not particularly liking either Blade or Blade II.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I noticed the Cold Steel 3 Digital Deluxe was on sale and I had a shit load of PSN credit from Christmas so.....

I am only in Chapter 1 Act 1 of Cold Steel 2, but I now own Cold Steel 3 and literally all of the DLC stuff, because I am a weak weak man.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Finished chapter 3 last night and.....OH MY AIDIOS!!!

what a chapter alot went down here"

was slightly wrong about Muse; knew was was defientely related to Cayanne but thought it was his daughter but niece is close enough; she sems to also have gotten a spell or two from a witch...was she she about to make a move on Rean at that moment???

Ash....I hope we do get a reason to why Ash is spying on Rean and the campus, hopefully we find out soon

man did it get craaaaaaaazzzzzzy!!! basically a proxy war was tanking place in Ordis, knew those purple jeagers were from North Ambria, I kinda wish Valerie was also apart of Class VII; But Sara really does make up for it showing all the hidden emotions/thoughts about her upbringing, still I still Valeria would made a nice edition to the team; new class seven is still a tad to small.

the endig battles were fucking nuts!!!

Toval vs. Campanella
Wallace vs. McBurn(still can't over this name)
Randy and Agate Vs. Shirley

and to top it all off we face Arianhod and the Stahlritters; the only(slightly) challenging fight so far. Man Le Guin is a fucking beast....I guess she's close to Arianhod strength!?!?!? O_O!!! and Arsied is stronger(I'm assuming)the power ranking in the Trails series is getting nuts!! She was basically a walking cheat code while she was with you.

That white Aion was awesome though,(so many Zero/Ao flashback) thank goodness it wasn't a exact copy of the orginal or it would ended the battle in and instant. And to think these were just "experiments" too! Who knows what Ouroboros factories are capable of! And apparently everyone as a divine knight now too.

And it appears crowe is alive? the body they placed in the coffin was a fake...makes so much fucking sense too! Of couse the Gnomes could easily make a realistic looking dummy! And I'm assuming that did the same for the Jeager king, AND FUCKING GEORGE COMING OUT OF FUCKING NO WHERE WITH THE BETRYAL!!! I'm like 90% sure he didn't kill Angie but she can't be around to tell anyone so she's locked away somewhere

And it appears the king and Osborne are working together too....Olivert definitely in a whole(AND WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED 14 YEARS AGO!!?!?!?). and Vita and Thomas possibly working together as well.....man things are starting to get interesting....Looks like the capital migt be under attack again!

also this was Rean after talking to a certain two ladies in chapter 3

giphy.gif

I'm kinda upset Le Guin isn't on the Rean harem train; but given her "advice" she shared early chapter 3 Rean wouldn't have stood a chance!!!

EDIT: Also to any late comers..MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP YOUR VANTAGE MASTER CARDS! it comes in play for an event in chapter 3 for extra AP.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Finished.
Abrupt ending
Big events are Indeed the (fake?) Deaths.
Final part with awakeners does not make sense, crow seems to help rean when he Jump down but than he Just block him and seems to work with the other awakeners towards Osborne Franz goal.
Also why earlier does rose talk with arianhood about Twilight and gospel Plan like two opposing plans when they are not? Was It really a surprise? Did rose not understand It knowing the black? Because in the whole game uroburos does not fight that much the jeagers and Osborne. They seem to do Just tests without a meaning explained.
Sen 4 has a tons of answers to provide, hopefully Better than the cs3 ones.

Oct 25, 2017
So we are less than 1 week away from the NISA pax 2020 panel.

If there is a God, they will announce cold steel 4 for this year.

Jesus please..........

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Really. I just watched sen 4 prologue because i cannot really wait long before playing It. Hopefully nisa will speak about It.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I'm now in part 3 of act 2 in the second cold steel game. Thankfully my copy of 3 has arrived.
I am wondering how the wait for 4 is going to be since I've had the luxury of playing all of these back to back though.

I'm still not sure if I'll jump in to the sky series. I'm more tempted than I was previously, and I have the first game on steam - but if I'm going to start it, I'm going to want to finish it and I don't know if I can spend that kind of money on it with my already too large backlog (do they ever go on sale?)

Also, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but how do the YS and xanadu games compare to this series?

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm now in part 3 of act 2 in the second cold steel game. Thankfully my copy of 3 has arrived.
I am wondering how the wait for 4 is going to be since I've had the luxury of playing all of these back to back though.

I'm still not sure if I'll jump in to the sky series. I'm more tempted than I was previously, and I have the first game on steam - but if I'm going to start it, I'm going to want to finish it and I don't know if I can spend that kind of money on it with my already too large backlog (do they ever go on sale?)

Also, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but how do the YS and xanadu games compare to this series?

i would def play sky as a major plot point involving one of the protagonists comes up. Just me though.

up to the final dungeon in III. Yeah this game was great, II still my top but III is next, then I.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Is It explained why
in the whole game Osborne seems to be against uroburos and in the end they are allied? Was It All a fake or they made an alliance right in the last chapter? Does sen 4 explain It?

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Is It explained why
in the whole game Osborne seems to be against uroburos and in the end they are allied? Was It All a fake or they made an alliance right in the last chapter? Does sen 4 explain It?
It's addressed a bit in the CS4 prologue, but that's as far as I got with CS4 as I don't want to spoil myself.

One of the Anguis tells that Ouroboros has basically surrendered to Ousborne. The why's and how's are unclear

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How long has it taken you to get there in Cold Steel 2? I'm in Part 2 Act 2 and so far this game feels like it's going to end up being a lot shorter for me than CS1.

As for Xanadu and Ys....

Xanadu is basically set up JUST LIKE Cold Steel 1 is, but with action oriented combat instead of turn based. But the rest of the game is basically a CS clone. You get free days you spend points on with your class mates, there are link events etc.....I played Xanadu before Cold Steel so I had no idea the two were basically the same kind of game.

Ys is tonally very different, and the action combat is top notch for JRPGs if you ask me. I really loved Ys 8 despite it's horrible translation, but I hear they worked on that?

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

The Sky games go on sale a good amount of time, they're on sale a Humble Bundle right now as we speak.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Anyone else abuse the hell out of break-based brave orders and Sara's LightSped Flash to gain more turns and launch into an endless cycle of BP hits and Lightspped Flash? So much fun.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
How long has it taken you to get there in Cold Steel 2? I'm in Part 2 Act 2 and so far this game feels like it's going to end up being a lot shorter for me than CS1.

As for Xanadu and Ys....

Xanadu is basically set up JUST LIKE Cold Steel 1 is, but with action oriented combat instead of turn based. But the rest of the game is basically a CS clone. You get free days you spend points on with your class mates, there are link events etc.....I played Xanadu before Cold Steel so I had no idea the two were basically the same kind of game.

Ys is tonally very different, and the action combat is top notch for JRPGs if you ask me. I really loved Ys 8 despite it's horrible translation, but I hear they worked on that?

Thanks for the info. I think I have some of the earlier YS games and YS 7 somewhere amongst my collection, amd Tokyo Xanadu was on my radar for a while before I went down this cold steel route

I'm probably near the 25-30 hour mark (hard to tell exactly since its been left idling a fair bit), but yeah so far its definitely seeming like its going to be a good 20+ hours shorter than the first game

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else abuse the hell out of break-based brave orders and Sara's LightSped Flash to gain more turns and launch into an endless cycle of BP hits and Lightspped Flash? So much fun.
That's basically all I do for bosses now since Chapter 2:
- Activate Juna's Brave Order (higher Break damage) at start of battle
- Spam crafts with high Break ratings until boss is broken
- Activate Kurt's Brave Order (reduced Delay)
- start racking up more BP by constantly unbalancing boss w/ link attacks, reactivate Kurt's BO as needed
- once boss (eventually) recovers from Break, repeat the process until dead

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's basically all I do for bosses now since Chapter 2:
- Activate Juna's Brave Order (higher Break damage) at start of battle
- Spam crafts with high Break ratings until boss is broken
- Activate Kurt's Brave Order (reduced Delay)
- start racking up more BP by constantly unbalancing boss w/ link attacks, reactivate Kurt's BO as needed
- once boss (eventually) recovers from Break, repeat the process until dead

nice nice

Just finished III. Pretty good. Imagine if we don't get IV. Lmao.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Shoutout out high speed mode for allowing me to finish the game at 85 hours.

Falcom really likes their slow camera pans and optional dialogue (or just dialogue in general).

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 4 Day 3 spoilers

Oh man, I wasn't expecting to hear a music box rendition of The Whereabouts of Light by this point... I was starting to think Falcom had forgotten how they established it as an old Erebonian folk song way back at the tail-end of Sky FC.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. Still fun to play, interesting plot when they actually shut up and move the plot forward, but i guess that's never going to stick so you have to accept it with the 3rd. It often feels like i'm playing a game to some toy line. They line up all these action figures and leave them there on field. Then you wait until they're finished talking about their aches and pains. They're almost never interested to do anything about it. I guess this is perfectly acceptable for everyone involved. How else can you make 100 hour games?

I think these games work better for me with the old models, it leaves more to your imagination. So going straight from crossbell to this one was a bit weird. Randy and Lech look so lame now.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just finished Chapter 4, I'm having a blast so far. I love these games so much

I guess this is the last chapter I'm about to start, does anyone know a) how long it is, and b) how hard it is?

I'm at about 95 hours played and I'm close to having the best rank, I also have all the master quartz at level 7, but the
Lance Maiden
and the
Undead Dragon you fight with 3 parties
still put up a hell of a fight

I remember Cold Steel 1 and 2 having a bastard of an ending for me in terms of difficulty, and so far I've not needed to lower the difficulty at all, so curious to know how tough of a time I'm going to have, and as I said already I'm curious to know how long I have left

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I just finished Chapter 4, I'm having a blast so far. I love these games so much

I guess this is the last chapter I'm about to start, does anyone know a) how long it is, and b) how hard it is?

I'm at about 95 hours played and I'm close to having the best rank, I also have all the master quartz at level 7, but the
Lance Maiden
and the
Undead Dragon you fight with 3 parties
still put up a hell of a fight

I remember Cold Steel 1 and 2 having a bastard of an ending for me in terms of difficulty, and so far I've not needed to lower the difficulty at all, so curious to know how tough of a time I'm going to have, and as I said already I'm curious to know how long I have left
The last chapter is just the climax of the game and not a "proper" chapter. I would say around 5 hours or so, out of memory.

In regards to difficulty, as far as my experience goes the chapter 4 boss fight was by far the hardest in the game. None of the fights in the endgame came close.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The last chapter is just the climax of the game and not a "proper" chapter. I would say around 5 hours or so, out of memory.

In regards to difficulty, as far as my experience goes the chapter 4 boss fight was by far the hardest in the game. None of the fights in the endgame came close.

Ah I'm both happy and sad to hear I have only 5 hours or so left

Happy because 95 hours is a long time and I have other stuff I want to play, but sad as I love these games

I really hope we get Cold Steel 4 this winter in the west, or at least the Sky games on PS4/Switch (I'm yet to play those)

I found the chapter 3 boss I mentioned a lot harder, that one took me 8 or 9 attempts, and I only beat it in the end because of luck and spamming the art that revives and heals everyone

The chapter 4 fight was easy until the final 40%, then it was a huge pain, but I still got it done after 3 or 4 (long) attempts

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat it after sinking a record 130+ hours into it over the course of several weeks.

I had the major bullet points of the ending spoiled for me already but seeing it happening in real-time is another thing altogether. Thankfully I've been more mindful of staying clear of CSIV spoilers (except for watching those excellent trailers) so I'm ready for what comes next... soon as NISA announces it of course.