• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
Finally done with the game. I haven't looked my total playtime yet but it should be around 120 hours, with 3 or 4 of idle time. Longest in the series by quite a margin.

Anyway, the ending was very tame, very boring, nothing interesting happened, and certainly not emotionally engaging.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to buy Sen IV and play it with a spreadsheet because after all this I have zero self restraint.

This really scares me. I got blue balls after Cold steel 1's cliffhanger, and luckily i didn't finish it until near time for the second game to come out...Its gonna be a long wait for an announcement for part 4...

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
More or less insane than CS1's ending?

It's Trails at peak insanity. I expected it and thought I was prepared for it. Turns out I wasn't.

And the actual cliffhanger, where the action stops, it's a massive fuck you from Falcom far, far greater than CS1 ever was.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finally done with the game. I haven't looked my total playtime yet but it should be around 120 hours, with 3 or 4 of idle time. Longest in the series by quite a margin.

Anyway, the ending was very tame, very boring, nothing interesting happened, and certainly not emotionally engaging.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to buy Sen IV and play it with a spreadsheet because after all this I have zero self restraint.

I'm guessing your username is appropriate now.

Last edited:

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah. Despite how awesome the Kiseki series is, this is probably worst aspect of it. Musse's trope got old really, really fast and because of it brought her down as probably one my least liked characters in CSIII.

Yeah. I feel like I would like her a lot more if she would just cut that out. It's not funny anymore after a while, it just gets old and I don't even wanna know how it feels to be on the receiving end of that.

I thought Juna could escape Rean's clutches but nope... seriously can't they give the series some side ships at least, well at least there is Juris/Millium but that's more big bro/sis otherwise it would kind of skeevy.

Angelica is worse, but somehow she gets a free pass most of the time...
Actually Musse is getting called out because of Rean, were she as aggressive to another dude, then you wouldn't have Juna/Altina going aggro on her ass, as they are pretty possessive of him, specially Altina.

Yes, Angelica, objectively speaking, is worse. She gets physical about it too after all. Subjectively speaking, I don't dislike her as much for it as a player cause I don't have to deal with it so much. But we can assume that she does it off-screen too, which means she is worse, no doubt.

I mean, it is certainly possible they only call her out because of who is on the receiving end of it. Especially considering Angelica doesn't get much more than a "hahahaha that's our Angie /awkward atmosphere/" for it, so yeah. But in this case I am glad that it's happening at least. If I (as the player) was the only one complaining about it, when it's happening so often on-screen, I would probably stop reading Musse's lines altogether.

I have to admit I was very confused until I read that last sentence (not that I am finished yet, fat from, but you know, from what you hear).

I hope I am prepared enough to have the self-restraint to wait for the localization. Getting a Japanese copy will definitely be too much of a hassle though so i'd probably watch an LP or smth. But... I am determined not to cave in unless we don't have a CSIV localization announcement by March of next year or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple things.

1. 15 hours and I haven't noticed any real good music. Not like cold steel 1 anyways.

2. A question that I am unsure on how to ask..... It's about chapter 1 still and it's about old class 7. If you can, please try not to spoil too much.

ummm, so I just picked up Laura, fie and Elliot which I am super pumped about. My only question is quartz slots. I got burned in cold steel 2 where I pumped a ton of quartz into Sharon, and then she just bounced. I kind of don't know what to do here. Obviously rean is permanent, but I'm not sure what to do with the others. Do I just roll with what they have, or actually start unlocking slots for them?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Couple things.

1. 15 hours and I haven't noticed any real good music. Not like cold steel 1 anyways.

2. A question that I am unsure on how to ask..... It's about chapter 1 still and it's about old class 7. If you can, please try not to spoil too much.

ummm, so I just picked up Laura, fie and Elliot which I am super pumped about. My only question is quartz slots. I got burned in cold steel 2 where I pumped a ton of quartz into Sharon, and then she just bounced. I kind of don't know what to do here. Obviously rean is permanent, but I'm not sure what to do with the others. Do I just roll with what they have, or actually start unlocking slots for them?

In CS1/2 quartz and equipment put on temp characters goes back into your inventory after they leave. I haven't explicityly tested it in 3 but I don't see why they would change that.

Oct 25, 2017
In CS1/2 quartz and equipment put on temp characters goes back into your inventory after they leave. I haven't explicityly tested it in 3 but I don't see why they would change that.

I'm not talking about quartz. I misspoke.

I'm talking about quartz slots. You need sepith to unlock those slots. Quite a lot actually.
That sepith gets refunded?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

I'm talking about quartz slots. You need sepith to unlock those slots. Quite a lot actually.

Ahh, I've pumped sepith into all of those characters and I wouldn't say it was any abnormally high amount. I'm only early on in chapter 2 and I've had at least one case where I could bring someone with me into a battle so it seems like it's going to be a revolving cast kind of deal. They even permanently show up in your cooking and sub quartz menu for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, I've pumped sepith into all of those characters and I wouldn't say it was any abnormally high amount. I'm only early on in chapter 2 and I've had at least one case where I could bring someone with me into a battle so it seems like it's going to be a revolving cast kind of deal. They even permanently show up in your cooking and sub quartz menu for some reason.

OK thanks. Not sure where I am in chapter 1, I for sure feel the sepith squeeze lol.

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017

No, it doesn't. But you will absolutely have more than enough sepith to unlock everyone's slots and then some really before you're more than halfway through the game. Especially if you field someone with the Kaleido master quartz or use septium vein quartz.

Also,
you're going to be using those characters again later in the game, so you will want to have all their slots unlocked at some point.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
More or less insane than CS1's ending?

CS1s ending wasnt really insane. It was just a damn good cliffhanger/stopping point.

I'll spoil the next part in case you're not there.

CS3s is insane but in all the wrong ways. You are literally STILL in the final dungeon, having just beaten the last boss, which then culminates into an almost 30 minute cutscene of the aftermath of said fight/actions followed by the big bad insulting you, and then fade to black...

Some would say the 'death' of three certain characters was good but eh, this is Kiseki after all.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I figured this is a good place to ask. How's Tokyo Xanadu? I never played it and feel like buying it after CSIII.

I personally loved it. It sort of combines the school based "free day" interactions of Cold Steel (Xanadu has tons of this) with the "gameplay" being dungeon crawls using a simplified version of Y's 8's combat system. Yes, the story is not quite Trails quality (as its one game put into a modern high school setting with all the anime set in high school tropes (for better and worse, however I will say this- Xandadu has FAR less pandering in terms of fan service than a lot of things, including the Trails games- this game is actually pretty tasteful throughout), and not some massive tale told over a multitude of 100 hour games over a whole continent, but I still quote enjoyed it. And since its very frequently available on PSN for like $12- get it!

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Okay but why can't I romance Rosine?

That one off-hand line from Rean regarding Rosine's smile was more cute and genuine than any of the long-winded "OMG you gotten so dazzlingly beautiful" lines he gives the old Class VII girls. I ship it, and it's just been one line.

That said not sure what the rule is in Septian Church regarding romantic relationships among the clerical staff. Lol But I'd be on board.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That one off-hand line from Rean regarding Rosine's smile was more cute and genuine than any of the long-winded "OMG you gotten so dazzlingly beautiful" lines he gives the old Class VII girls. I ship it, and it's just been one line.

That said not sure what the rule is in Septian Church regarding romantic relationships among the clerical staff. Lol But I'd be on board.
toval totally bottoms for ein so it clearly is alright

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
toval totally bottoms for ein so it clearly is alright

Clearly, though to be fair he won't admit that there is something up there. XD and she is /technically/ not a nun, so (well technically Rosine isn't either).

Totally unrelated, but it seems like Sony wants to push Playstation Now really badly if they sneakily put it on my ps4 while I am playing a game. Like, Sony, I never said I wanted this, wth. Hate when any company does that. (I don't expect a reply to this since it's totally off-topic, but I needed to get that off my chest.)

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the game on first playthrough! I managed to get every trophy except for the 100 S Crafts and Nightmare mode. It took me about 67 hours.

Dunno if I want to do my second playthrough now since Death Stranding is so close. I imagine it'll take me about 30 hours to blaze through a second run (similar to CS and CS2 for me) for the Platinum.

So, Millium isn't in CSIV? :(

Last edited:

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the game on first playthrough! I managed to get every trophy except for the 100 S Crafts and Nightmare mode. It took me about 67 hours.

Dunno if I want to do my second playthrough now since Death Stranding is so close. I imagine it'll take me about 30 hours to blaze through a second run (similar to CS and CS2 for me) for the Platinum.

So, Millium isn't in CSIV? :(
You really want to know?

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story at about 102 hours. Even if I could openly talk about the ending I find myself literally speechless. Kind of sat here for a while in silence after powering down my ps4. The wait for CS4 is going to be extremely brutal. I can only hope we get it before the eventual next entry in the trails series.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
I know what to expect from Japanese media, but I swear the amount of times characters just say "Rean..." or rather "*insertanyname*..." has to be more than a hundred per chapter.

If I drank a sip of light beer each time they do this I would be wasted in no time.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
People bitch about Ubisoft and EA but CSIII has 80 DLC's now. 😂

People bitch about EA DLC because their aggressive tactics in tying gameplay mechanics to incentivize players to buy the DLC to begin with in the form of loot boxes.

The DLC also existed in Cold Steel 1 and 2 for the PS3 and Vita versions. Keep in mind it was included in the PS4 versions for free. Most of it is pointless cosmetics and it isn't constantly shoved in your face like most the EA or Ubisoft shit is.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017

The difference being Cold Steel III is not specifically engineered in a way that makes it lean on its DLC bonuses. You can play through Cold Steel III on Nightmare and have absolutely no need for those Shining Pom Bait DLC packs.

If this were an EA or Ubisoft game, you'd hit brick walls multiple times where you're forced to either grind levels for days or just.....buy the levels so you can proceed.

A game just "having" DLC isn't the issue.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Hey at least they are completely optional! I remember starting my download for the digital deluxe edition and with that you get 25 DLC items, I had a total of 50 notifications in a row popping up between downloading and installed lmao

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't like Michael Irving at all. Some of his decisions tend to come across and trying to impede the progress of Thor's Campus Branch rather than help. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he ultimately ended up as villain considering how obvious he comes across as knowing more than he lets on but not being remotely helpful in the slightest.

What I find even more suspicious is the fact he's the same rank as Claire in the RMP but he tries to pull rank? Something is off here.

There are some characters that don't hide the fact they have a secondary agenda. Case in point Lechter Arundel doesn't hide the fact he's a snake and takes orders directly from Osborne.

Michael Irving however has rotten stink every time he has something of significance to say. Meh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like Michael Irving at all. Some of his decisions tend to come across and trying to impede the progress of Thor's Campus Branch rather than help. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he ultimately ended up as villain considering how obvious he comes across as knowing more than he lets on but not being remotely helpful in the slightest.

What I find even more suspicious is the fact he's the same rank as Claire in the RMP but he tries to pull rank? Something is off here.

There are some characters that don't hide the fact they have a secondary agenda. Case in point Lechter Arundel doesn't hide the fact he's a snake and takes orders directly from Osborne.

Michael Irving however has rotten stink every time he has something of significance to say. Meh
It doesn't help that he's so fucking boring too.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

Huh. I mean I don't like him much either but he always just struck me as someone who takes his job a little too seriously.

But I could be wrong, no doubt.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

She's married to Aidios

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

*someone smiles or laughs*

Irving: THERE'S NO TIME FOR THIS SHIT. NO FUN ALLOWED.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017

d6vDJJG.jpg

Oh I have a lot of problems with you Major.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I mean it's one thing to be a hardass military type. I mean you have cases like Neithardt and a few others like Zechs, but at least they come across as likeable. I get none of this with Irving.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Finished chapter 1 in 10 hours (turbo on even on cutscenes) and i found just black records 6. Did i miss the five before or Is It ok?
Anyway end chapter 1 cutscenes had too much going on imho. Half the material on the chapter would have been enought.

First the Aion, than the coming back of the leader, than the leader use a strange (phantasmal??) divine knight and also easily destroyed the Aion our team struggled

Most courious cutscene was at mid chapter anyway.
Vampire like girl? Barrier? Was that a glimpse of hell or another plane of reality?
Cannot wait to play the beloved crossbell chapter.

Last edited:

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Good. I do not want to miss them.
Also got a rank at end chapter, not playing with a guide, what i miss i will ask YouTube lol unless this comes on switch stadia or a streaming Sony device.
Anyway chapter 1 was really good, shame prologue and early chapter 1 are a snooze fest or briefing no kiseki lol.
Hopefully next chapter will skip boring parts

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 2 was probably my favorite part of the game tbh. Not that the other chapters weren't great too, but yeah